Xbox Batteries

#1 Posted by BurntTech (3 posts) -

They either last forever or they seem to die rather fast. On that note i've noticed i was able to get some use out of the "dead" ones using the Microsoft branded rapid charger. I might not only person gets sad when the controller lights start to spin.

#2 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Those things lose their charge in like three minutes. It's crazy.

Also, I hope MS takes the Sony route with the next console and just lets you charge them out of the box without having to buy an expensive charger kit for each controller.

#3 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

I just use rechargeable energizers

#4 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Yeah Sony did a better job with their controllers regarding batteries. My battery tends to last a good while, but it takes forever to charge!

#5 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Tested.com sent me to Eneloops and they are great. Get some!

#6 Posted by AndrewB (7438 posts) -

I'm also one of those people who never understood the point of buying a proprietary battery with a finite life. AA rechargeables last ages and I can have a new set waiting in the wings for when the current couple run out, and these are cheap and can be used in anything else which uses AA batteries.

#7 Edited by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

Also, I hope MS takes the Sony route with the next console and just lets you charge them out of the box without having to buy an expensive charger kit for each controller.

And lose revenue from accessory sales?! You're forgetting it's MS we are talking about it. The company that makes you pay for services that are otherwise free or already paying for.

@JackOhara said:

That's what I used to do.

@huntad said:

Yeah Sony did a better job with their controllers regarding batteries. My battery tends to last a good while, but it takes forever to charge!

Sony did a better job designing their hardware overall. If you open up a launch PS3 and a launch 360 side by side you can see Sony used every inch of space they had available to them while MS kinda threw pieces together.

#8 Posted by Ammut (25 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@ValiantGrizzly said:

And lose revenue from accessory sales?! You're forgetting it's MS we are talking about it. The company that makes you pay for services that are otherwise free or already paying for.

Sony stopped charging for multitaps, network adaptors, and memory cards going from ps2 to ps3. They made crazy money off those so its not a stretch to think rechargeable batteries might be standard on the next xbox. I'd rather have replaceable packs than built onto the controllers though... I like the option of just swapping battery packs and continuing wirelessly over having to plug in or switch controllers.

It's almost as if Sony and microsoft switched positions on nickel-and-diming customers this generation. Xbox had network, hard drive, and 4 ports built in whereas the Ps2 did not - but the Ps3 had wifi, hard drive, and battery packs built in where the base 360 didn't.

@mordukai said:

Sony did a better job designing their hardware overall. If you open up a launch PS3 and a launch 360 side by side you can see Sony used every inch of space they had available to them while MS kinda threw pieces together.

I think failure rates are a much better way of determining how well hardware was designed... and yes, the 360 is terrible in that regard. I'm not sure what you were trying to get at with how a system looks once open or how dense the electronics are packed but in my opinion the wii would win in this regard.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

Eh, I just use the Microsoft batteries. I've got like 3 and a quick-charge station I rotate em' even being someone who plays rather heavily they usually last a few days before I have to swap out.

#10 Posted by Patman99 (1556 posts) -

@JackOhara said:

Yeah, I use rechargeable duracells and they last forever and save me from buying moar and moar batteries.

#11 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

why wouldnt you just use normal rechargable AA's those this are dirt cheap now and they last for months.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.