Xbox Live price increase? Start the complaining.

• 0 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by louiedog (2334 posts) -

Major Nelson has just reported that the price of Xbox Live will be increased to $60 a year in the US and will have increases in some other locales as well. Anyone not angry? Here is a breakdown:

Current

1M Gold:  $7.99

3M Gold:  $19.99

12M Gold:  $49.99

Starting Nov 1, 2010

1M Gold:  $9.99

3M Gold:  $24.99

12M Gold:  $59.99

UK

Current

1M Gold:  4.99 GBP

Starting Nov 1, 2010

1M Gold:  5.99 GBP

Canada

Current

1M Gold:  $8.99 CAD

Starting Nov 1, 2010

1M Gold:  $9.99 CAD

Mexico

Current

12M Gold:  499 Pesos

Starting Nov 1, 2010

12M Gold:  599 Pesos

I would also like to remind everyone that 12-month cards at retailers like Amazon go on sale for $30-$40 every couple of months and that you can use cards to extend Live up to 3 years from the current month. I'm currently paid up until July, 2013. So keep an eye out on deals before the new prices go into effect.
#2 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

It's worth it. No complaints here.

#3 Posted by contagious (73 posts) -

"This price increase only affects Xbox LIVE Members in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom or the United States. "
@louiedog said:

" Anyone not angry? "

Me
#4 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

That's absurd - I though their counter to PSN+ would be to make more people want live, not gauge those who already do.

#5 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

That's kind of annoying, especially since they don't even have things like 1 versus 100 anymore to help justify the costs of live.

#6 Posted by ry0wn (171 posts) -

You have to expect things like this, it is Microsoft. I like how he waited until the end to name the UK and USA, since they're the most populous, and probably the most mad.

Does this have something to do with the voice chat update? Even if it is, they don't need a price increase. It's not even worth what it is now.

#7 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -
@Vitor said:
"That's absurd - I though their counter to PSN+ would be to make more people want live, not gauge those who already do. "

pretty sure you meant gouge
#8 Posted by Yummylee (21243 posts) -

Ah well. Not like I'm much willing to pay for GOLD to begin with.

#9 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

It's barely worth paying what it is now for the 'privilege' of online play (free on every other platform) and the honour of being able to buy other games (paying in order to give them more money, insane!)  

This seems like a dumb move

#10 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@SumDeus said:
" It's worth it. No complaints here. "
P2P gaming with ads on the consoles main menu. Yeah... so worth it.
#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ry0wn said:
" You have to expect things like this, it is Microsoft. I like how he waited until the end to name the UK and USA, since they're the most populous, and probably the most mad.  Does this have something to do with the voice chat update? Even if it is, they don't need a price increase. It's not even worth what it is now. "
Maybe they realized they spent to much on gameroom and now gotta get there losses back.
#12 Edited by Jeust (10473 posts) -

"This price increase only affects Xbox LIVE Members in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom or the United States. "    

It doesn't affect me then. Still sucks for the people affected by it.  And if you don't agree, don't pay. 
#13 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Not that big of a deal, mainly cause I'll just go ahead and purchase a 12 month card before the price spike. Besides, I'm sure I'll still be able to find websites selling them on the cheap (or in this case, their original prices).

#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Maybe if they were making up the costs for selling Kinect cheaper it would make sense. Are they adding new features or anything? If not, I hate you Microsoft but I will still continue to give you my money.

#15 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1170 posts) -

They need to justify it somehow like do more 1 vs 100 stuff or something.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

Well, I guess I'm done playing on Xbox LIVE.

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I don't think it's THAT big a deal, as most retailers already discount the price.  This has probably been done to bring the cost back up to what it's actually supposed to be.
That being said, I really can't understand why they'd do this.  With PSN growing in features and users, you'd think they'd be trying to give people more reason to keep their Gold subscriptions.

This isn't going to help MS at all.

#18 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

I don't think I'll pay for gold for a long, long time again. Then again, I wouldn't have done so if it there wasn't an increase in price.

#19 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

Isn't it already 60 bucks for a year? 
Looks like there just raising the price if you pay by month.

#20 Posted by louiedog (2334 posts) -
@TimAllen624 said:
" They need to justify it somehow like do more 1 vs 100 stuff or something. "
I signed up for Gold after the second season because it interested me. Then they canceled it.
#21 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" Isn't it already 60 bucks for a year?  Looks like there just raising the price if you pay by month. "
It is a extra 10 bucks for a year in U.S 
#22 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" Well, I guess I'm done playing on Xbox LIVE. "
Wow, really? It's $10... per year, more.
#23 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @SumDeus said:
P2P gaming with ads on the consoles main menu. Yeah... so worth it. "
What's wrong with having ads on the main menu? Just ignore them. It's not like they're pop-ups or anything annoying. It's worth it to me, because I can easily play with friends or chat with them while we all play different games. If you want to be stingy and complain about the excellent service that Microsoft is supplying, then just don't buy it. You may call me a fanboy now.
#24 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

WHAT THE FUK THIS SUKS? 

But seriously, 10 dollars is nothing if you care about multiplayer on the xbox. I pay double that price(60 dollars) to play World of Warcraft, and I'm sure there's people just as crazy for Halo or MW2 as I am for WoW. It's frightening to see gaming becoming more and more expensive like this, but it's sadly the way it's going. 

At the same time, it's wierd that Sony offers their online service for free and Microsoft can't. I mean XBL users do receive unique demos and such sometimes but it happens pretty often for Playstation owners too, especially now with Plus. That said 60 dollars a year isn't much. I spend more than that almost every month for new games. People like to blow minor increases like this out of hand without comparing it to the reality. If its such a biggie just lay off $1 from your food budget every month and bam, you got the money needed for this and 2 dollars extra! Since people whine about 10 dollars then surely 2 dollars must be quite a lot too? Yeah. Thought so.

#25 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@SumDeus said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @SumDeus said:
What's wrong with having ads on the main menu? Just ignore them. It's not like they're pop-ups or anything annoying. It's worth it to me, because I can easily play with friends or chat with them while we all play different games. If you want to be stingy and complain about the excellent service that Microsoft is supplying, then just don't buy it. You may call me a fanboy now. "
I wouldn't call you a fanboy, I'd call you delusional. 
#26 Posted by groin (837 posts) -

I don't really care about this considering it is only $5 per month if you pay full price. I spend more than that everyday for lunch. It is also not hard to find discounted cards at retailers. 

#27 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @SumDeus said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @SumDeus said:
What's wrong with having ads on the main menu? Just ignore them. It's not like they're pop-ups or anything annoying. It's worth it to me, because I can easily play with friends or chat with them while we all play different games. If you want to be stingy and complain about the excellent service that Microsoft is supplying, then just don't buy it. You may call me a fanboy now. "
I wouldn't call you a fanboy, I'd call you delusional.  "
I'm not a PC gamer. How would you expect me to play online?
#28 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Well, I guess I'm done playing on Xbox LIVE. "
Wow, really? It's $10... per year, more. "
I don't think it's worth $50 to begin with, honestly. And we aren't exactly rolling in cash.
#29 Edited by Turduken (168 posts) -

I'm in Canada, but unaffected since I don't renew month to month.  I'm actually happy to see us paying prices comparable to the US since our dollars have been close to even for years now (though I'd much prefer if we were all paying 50 instead of 60).   

You guys are going from a bit more than 4 bucks a month to 5 bucks.  The price of a few cups of coffee a month for a great service.  Our hobby costs money, you can't get something for nothing. 

It's also worth noting that if you renew now/soon, you get it for 40 instead of 60.  Do that, and your next two years average out to 50, zero change.

#30 Posted by Dantekiller (206 posts) -

i dont play online with xbox so it cool, i still love the system and from what im tolled they are adding more stuff

#31 Posted by louiedog (2334 posts) -

Hahaha, from Ryan's twitter: "Hey, Microsoft has to offset the guaranteed loss on Kinect somehow!"

#32 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -
@louiedog said:
" Hahaha, from Ryan's twitter: "Hey, Microsoft has to offset the guaranteed loss on Kinect somehow!" "
Win.
#33 Edited by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

Wait so its now 50 quid a year? The way the OP wrote it, it just looks like there a rise in monthly buys in the UK in which case im ok as I only buy a years.. 
Oh well :/
#34 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@SumDeus said:

" @Hitchenson said:

" @SumDeus said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @SumDeus said:
I'm not a PC gamer. How would you expect me to play online? "
I'm not saying you shouldn't pay the LIVE fee, fuck, I pay the LIVE fee. I was just disagreeing with your statement that "it's worth it", I don't feel a service that I can get elsewhere and just as well for free being sold to me is worth it. I'll do it regardless though because I like to play video games with people I know.
#35 Edited by CandleJakk (766 posts) -

This is absolute fucking bollocks. Trying to retroactively justify it with the inclusion of twitter, facebook, last.fm etc... is ridiculous, as they're free on the internet and most smartphones nowadays anyway. UK customers don't get ESPN (no bother to me, no interest in sports), and we can only get access to the Sky Player if we're pre-existing sky customers, or paying an extra £15p/m to Sky for the service. Nor does the UK get Netflix services.

Seriously, fuck this hike. If they're gonna lose that much money on Kinect, they can up teh price of that shit, so I can actively not pay for it there. Especially fuck this hike considering four months ago they were celebrating some 30 million Xboxes sold, meaning fuck knows how many paying for gold on an annual basis already.

#36 Posted by ashbash (369 posts) -

Microsoft, since I've bought my PC at the beginning of the year, I have not touched your machine. 

I don't enjoy playing shooters with the gamepad. Those are pretty much the only games that are exclusive any more to Xbox. 

Don't like the look of Kinect games and no, I'm not going to dance. 

Live in UK so don't get many features as in US on Live. 

I have had a years subscription since January so I will cancel it next year. 

The Xbox is highly unappealing year after year. 

If I didn't have a PC and PS3 then I would probably use the Xbox more but now I'm seriously considering selling it so I can afford more games. (Although I won't because I regretted selling me Wii even though I wouldn't have been able to play tons of autumn 2009 games.)

#37 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

As far as I'm aware of it, I've always been paying $60 annually for Xbox Live. 

Though with my gaming PC I think that might change soon.

#38 Posted by ry0wn (171 posts) -

He knows there's nothing good about the price increase. He's trying to play around it and justify the increase, but he also knows that most current LIVE Gold subscribers are going to pay the extra $10 anyway. What a dick.
#39 Posted by impalerXZ (85 posts) -
@SumDeus said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @SumDeus said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @SumDeus said:
I'm not a PC gamer. How would you expect me to play online? "
You could look into PC gaming.
#40 Posted by groin (837 posts) -
@ry0wn: Major Nelson is only the messenger. He had nothing to do with the price increase.
#41 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

OH NO TEN DOLLARS 

WHAT FUCKING MANNER OF WITCH CRAFT BE THIS

#42 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

It's not like they made enough money already.

#43 Posted by Consaw (250 posts) -

Im kind of surprised at the raise in price, but it doesn't really bother me.  It equals out to about $5 a month if you pay full price. I can find 5 bucks in my couch.  
If you spend some time looking around you can find plenty of good deals on cards. Not to long ago Dell had a sale for buy one get one free. Thanks to that I am now paid up until 2013

#44 Posted by ry0wn (171 posts) -
@groin:  I know, but I have to be mad at somebody. Since he's the figurehead of Xbox, he should be the one to be mad at.
#45 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@impalerXZ:  I'm not a PC gamer because my friends aren't. It's much easier for all of us to play XBL together.
#46 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I am sexually dissatisfied by this decision.  Here is my lengthy rude response to Major Nelson: 

#47 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I still don't understand what paying for Xbox Live actually gains you to make it worth the cost. What exactly are you paying for here and why exactly are Microsoft raising the price? 

#48 Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

If you want a Gold membership just check amazon every now and then. You can get a year for thirty bucks. Most gaming news sites will make a post about it. Even Major Nelson makes a blog post. If you really want it then there is no need to pay full price.

#49 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" I still don't understand what paying for Xbox Live actually gains you to make it worth the cost. What exactly are you paying for here and why exactly are Microsoft raising the price?  "
What about those updates to the avatars and that stuff? 
#50 Posted by louiedog (2334 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" I still don't understand what paying for Xbox Live actually gains you to make it worth the cost. What exactly are you paying for here and why exactly are Microsoft raising the price?  "
The Guild, ESPN, software for Netflix and Last.fm, video content like Inside Xbox, enforcement team, etc. I'm not justifying it, I'd rather pay 1/3 the price and just have gaming, but that's where the money goes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.