Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox Live price increase? Start the complaining.

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By louiedog
    @EpicSteve said:

" @louiedog said:

" @Hamz said:
    " I still don't understand what paying for Xbox Live actually gains you to make it worth the cost. What exactly are you paying for here and why exactly are Microsoft raising the price?  "
    The Guild, ESPN, software for Netflix and Last.fm, video content like Inside Xbox, enforcement team, etc. I'm not justifying it, I'd rather pay 1/3 the price and just have gaming, but that's where the money goes. "
    I don't know what The Guild is, but all those other things are free or part of the services subscription on the internet and other machines. "
    Yup, that's why I said "software for...."

@PrivateIronTFU

said:

" @louiedog: Well, obviously you wouldn't buy a Coke if it was $10 dollars more expensive. These are two different things. Unless that Coke lasted you a whole year. Then it might be similar. But my point was that people who have good experiences with Xbox Live will be fine with paying an extra 83 cents a month. "

It's not about the $10. It's about increasing the price without any noticeable added service. If they gave me something that justified another $40, I'd be okay with it, but they're not. My point was that just because it's not that much money and still easily affordable, doesn't make it a worthwhile price hike.

@Evercaptor said:

" @louiedog:  I'm such a lucky dog to be paid until the year two thousand and stupid and have seen this coming and as such stockpiled until 12 years after the year two thousand and stupid. "

lolwut?
    Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Evercaptor
    @louiedog: yeah, I heard rumors of this last year and panic bought a shit load of 12+1 cards and threw two of them in, gave some away as presents and still have a shelf full.
    Fairly certain the GAME employee shit their pants when I asked for as many as I did, I think those guys get tracked on it or comission or something.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By ajamafalous
    @natetodamax said:
    " Well, I guess I'm done playing on Xbox LIVE. "
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @louiedog: You know what? Your'e right. My PS3 is from early 2007, has never given me problems, and has equally as good multiplayer. I'm on my third Xbox, and almost never use Live. But dammit all to Hell, I wanna play Halo Reach. Well know I don't know WHAT to do.
    rniemeijer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By rniemeijer

So wait we in Europe don't get screwed over. 

irish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By irish

Whaaaat!!! Thats 2 pints of beer I can't have next year...

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By louiedog
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @louiedog: You know what? Your'e right. My PS3 is from early 2007, has never given me problems, and has equally as good multiplayer. I'm on my third Xbox, and almost never use Live. But dammit all to Hell, I wanna play Halo Reach. Well know I don't know WHAT to do. "
    I'm right there with you. I'm not going to stop subscribing when my time runs out, but I don't like it either.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @louiedog: Well, I have about six more months of Live. I think that could get me through Halo Reach. And now since Halo is the only Xbox 'exclusive' I enjoy (thanks to Bioware), I may just let the subscription run out. I have mostly single player games anyway.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#109  Edited By Vinny_Says

Luckily I have to renew in like a month so I'll keep my lower price until next year. I'm a reasonable person, if XBL doesn't add anything or improve in a year then I wont be renewing. No need to get angry, show your displeasure by not paying, but then again it's microsoft...

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Damien

Look on the bright side, maybe this will get rid of all the 12 year olds.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#111  Edited By flaminghobo

I really don't see the need for MS to hike the prices! If they were doing this to counter-act making Kinect cheaper or to use the extra funding in order to bring new features then I wouldn't mind as much.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Damien
    @Jack268 said:
    " WHAT THE FUK THIS SUKS?  

But seriously, 10 dollars is nothing if you care about multiplayer on the xbox. I pay double that price(60 dollars) to play World of Warcraft, and I'm sure there's people just as crazy for Halo or MW2 as I am for WoW. It's frightening to see gaming becoming more and more expensive like this, but it's sadly the way it's going.  

At the same time, it's wierd that Sony offers their online service for free and Microsoft can't. I mean XBL users do receive unique demos and such sometimes but it happens pretty often for Playstation owners too, especially now with Plus. That said 60 dollars a year isn't much. I spend more than that almost every month for new games. People like to blow minor increases like this out of hand without comparing it to the reality. If its such a biggie just lay off $1 from your food budget every month and bam, you got the money needed for this and 2 dollars extra! Since people whine about 10 dollars then surely 2 dollars must be quite a lot too? Yeah. Thought so. "
    OH SHIT LOGIC!
    Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#113  Edited By TheVideoHustler

Is anyone worried that Video gaming is going to be an expensive commodity?

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Djeffers03

I want to say Im done with Xbox live but I know I will renew that stupid shit. It not worth the money at all. The only thing it has over PSN is that it is slightly more streamlined, but it's not like Xbox live parties cost Microsoft money. There absolutely no reason for the price hike other than sure greed. Twitter and Facebook won't have added to anything to costs seeing as their already free, same goes for last fm which is of no value on consoles because you can't multitask. Netflix is something you already have to pay for so the same applies. 1 VS 100 is gone so that can't be a reason. ESPN is only available to people who get there internet from these ISPs so once again this is not a valid cause for the price rise abroad. And to top it off people in the US already have to endure dozens of ads.  

Fuck Microsoft. 

JadeTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By JadeTempest

It is always a sad day when a game company (software/hardware) decides to increase its profit at the expense of its customers and the CUSTOMERS oblige by staying loyal to a brand name that cares little about them.   

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Djeffers03
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    "

OH NO TEN DOLLARS 

WHAT FUCKING MANNER OF WITCH CRAFT BE THIS

"
    It doesn't matter how much it is increased by. That facts of the matter are that they have no justification behind charging even more for a service that has very little over PSN and what it does have over it is either free anyway, requires an additional charge or is not available anywhere else other than in the US.
    BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By BrokenCage

Did they get rid of the Live cards? Cause this seems like a good time for Amazon to make a killing.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By ch13696
    @ry0wn said:
    " You have to expect things like this, it is Microsoft. I like how he waited until the end to name the UK and USA, since they're the most populous, and probably the most mad.  Does this have something to do with the voice chat update? Even if it is, they don't need a price increase. It's not even worth what it is now. "
    I pretty much like how he says Canada, Mexico, UK, or the US. Like it will be one or the other that will get the price increase.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Ramone

Unless the XBL service improves dramatically I can't really see the need for this increase in price.

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#120  Edited By itsmadness

Wow. This is pretty dumb. Considering I don't really get anything out of xbl gold, I'm not going to renew anymore. Not because I can't afford it, but because Microsoft has no real justification for doing this. And I have a PS3.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#121  Edited By AgentJ

I'm paid for well into next year, and when it expires I might just go without, hoping Amazon has a 30 dollar card at some point.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Onno10

I only use the 1 month free gold I get with new games anyway, so whatever.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#123  Edited By ch13696
    @louiedog said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @louiedog: You know what? Your'e right. My PS3 is from early 2007, has never given me problems, and has equally as good multiplayer. I'm on my third Xbox, and almost never use Live. But dammit all to Hell, I wanna play Halo Reach. Well know I don't know WHAT to do. "
    I'm right there with you. I'm not going to stop subscribing when my time runs out, but I don't like it either. "
    I have a launch PS3 and it is still running great. I also a Wii that's running pretty damn good too. My PC has been going on for a good 5 years now thanks to minor tweaks and upgrades. My Xbox 360 Elite is sitting in my closet collecting dust because of the amount of times I sent it into Microsoft after it red ringing. Even after sending it to people through eBay.
    BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By BrokenCage
    @Jonny7892 said:

"Unless the XBL service improves dramatically I can't really see the need for this increase in price. "

Says we're getting Kinet Video, and ESPN with the price increase. I could do without both. 

Amazon has the cards for 49.99. Good way to save 20 bucks a year if the increase bothers you. Oh, and Hulu Plus... 

Now, the question is this, is Hulu Plus going to be included or do we have to pay $10 for Hulu Plus on top of the  $60 for Live?
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Bluethunder35

*SIGH* 

Sadly, people have to justify the reasons they buy Product X.  

For $59.99 CAN + HST, I really can't see why I would need to buy something I only use sporadically.  

$10 is nothing but it seems a lot of people are angry over it. Maybe they are finally realizing why some people refer Microsoft as Micro$oft?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I'm not sure why so many people complain about this. It's common knowledge that discounts and credits happen all the time for Gold memberships, you can get a good amount of it foe cheap if you look hard enough.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#127  Edited By GunstarRed

Not really worried about this at all, The cards are usually much, much, much lower than the recommended price in  the UK. I will be surprised if  you see much change at all  buying the cards from some supermarkets or online.
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#128  Edited By gearhead

It's 10 fucking dollars more. Meaning if you save 80 cents a month, you will be able to pay the extra money. Honestly, the Internet just likes to get itself worked up about really nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I got a bunch of Gold Membership cards at Circuit City for dirt cheap so this really doesn't effect me until 2015 or so.

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Glak

My live subscription goes into like June of next year, so that's good, I'll be able to play MvC3 and Gears 3
    Not sure if I'll renew it after that
    I just want to hear their reasoning, if it's a good  reason I'm fine with it, if it isn't, then...............

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#131  Edited By ReyGitano
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I don't think it's THAT big a deal, as most retailers already discount the price.  This has probably been done to bring the cost back up to what it's actually supposed to be. That being said, I really can't understand why they'd do this.  With PSN growing in features and users, you'd think they'd be trying to give people more reason to keep their Gold subscriptions.  This isn't going to help MS at all. "
    This is my viewpoint. I already always buy my subscription when it's on sale so I don't mind, but I don't see the logic behind Microsoft raising it's price point. Really it just seems like the feel like they need more money since from what I've read Microsoft's reasoning seems iffy. Maybe they're trying to cushion the blow in case Kinect doesn't sell?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#132  Edited By Diamond

It doesn't affect me directly since I've paid through 2014 (paid about $25 a year average), but it seems like a bad decision.

In these economic times, to be considered a platform that will continue to raise its rates over time...  That will only turn potential buyers off the platform.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#133  Edited By Mrnitropb

Things that are not cool:

• Cable bill increases, with no added services
    • internet rate increases, with no added services
    • phone rate increases, with no added services
    • insurance premiums increase, with no added benefits
    • credit card% increase, with no added services
    • tuition increases, with no added services, buildings,

Sense a pattern, anyone?
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Hamz

While I fully respect, applaud and appreciate the fact this topic was created first I am locking it down in favour of the news article posted by the staff covering this. 

Please check it out here and continue your discussion in the comments section.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.