Xbox360 Slim - Dpad fixed?

#1 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -

They redesigned the controller on the Xbox360 Slim, but did they also fix the dpad in the process? A few sources on the net report that they might have fixed it, but its all rather vague. Has anybody disassembled the controller to see if anything has changed or does the dpad feel different from the old one?

#2 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

I didn't knew they redesigned the controller.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Where did they say anything about a redesigned controller?

#4 Posted by ApolloJ85 (242 posts) -

Are you sure they redesigned the controller? There was a one-off redesign about a year ago, but that never made it to the mainstream market.

#5 Edited by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

Looks the same to the naked eye.  It would be cool if they fixed it.  Regardless, it's not a big deal to me since most QCFs and such are easier for me to pull off with the analog stick than a D-pad anyways.

#6 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

I'm surprised they haven't released a d-pad add-on to recoup from the rest of their add-ons being built into the system now.

#7 Posted by Jeff (3670 posts) -

It feels different, but I can't tell if that's just because it's a fresh controller or if something's actually been changed.

Staff
#8 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@Jeff said:
" It feels different, but I can't tell if that's just because it's a fresh controller or if something's actually been changed. "
Does it still have the kinda rounded feel to it? Or does it look pretty much the same?
#9 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -
@Jeff said:
" It feels different, but I can't tell if that's just because it's a fresh controller or if something's actually been changed. "
Get Will Smith in there PRONTO!!!  Might as well get Norm to come in and lick the dismantled controllers as well...
#10 Posted by mshaw006 (564 posts) -

What's wrong with the D-pad?

#11 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops: Its still round. The 360 pad is in great need of a decent dpad.
#12 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@mshaw006 said:
" What's wrong with the D-pad? "
Have you ever used an Xbox d-pad? It's incredibly clunky and just feels wrong.
#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Jeff said:
Does it have that new controller smell? 
#14 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -
@Jeff said:
I don't recall anything from MS saying they changed anything internally in the controller. My new controller is defiantly a bit stiff compared to my last, but that could be because my last one was pretty broken in.

The rumble effect doesn't seem to be as intense as my old though, again, that could just be a time/ware&tare kind of thing.
#15 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

Trying to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with the 360 D-pad was awful. I just had to get used to using the thumb stick.

#16 Edited by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@clubsandwich:  They changed the cosmetics, the new one is shiny in the middle and the guide button has a different look. Question of course is if those changes are just cosmetic or if they used the opportunity to fix any of the internals.

Would also be interesting to know why the improvments on the PES 2009 pad never hit mainstream Xbox360 controller, sounds kind of stupid to fix the dpad issue, but then not introduce it into the normal pad.
#17 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

I saw this Modern Warfare 2 controller with a proper D-Pad in a flyer yesterday.

#18 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -
@MacGeorge said:

"    
I saw this Modern Warfare 2 controller with a proper D-Pad in a flyer yesterday.

"
I have it it sucks.
As well the alternate buttons on the bottom are near useless, I was gonna write a review for it along with my mw2 throat mic review. but I just never got around to it.
I've since gotten rid of the mw2 controller.
P.S: its madcatz it completely sucks...
#19 Posted by PurpleLink (5 posts) -

Speaking of the new controllers, where can I buy a second one?  The original black ones don't have the black sticks and glossy Guide button.

#20 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1203 posts) -

I never had an issue with the D-pad. 

#21 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

the d-pad to me feels a little more clicky than it does squishy.  Even new controllers didn't quite feel like this.  Maybe they didn't change it necessarily but are using better parts?

#22 Posted by slowbird (1757 posts) -

I don't see how they could use that d-pad internally when testing games/systems for 5+ years and not decide to update it.  Although to them, an "update" might involve removing the d-pad and replacing it with a button that lets you purchase Xbox Live points instantly.

#23 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

Anyone who doesn't know, Will over at Tested actually took apart one of the "new" controllers.  The video is up on their site.  Essentially, he said that the printing on the circuit board is different, and that the actual face button portion seems to be raised a bit more on the directional arrows themselves, which could lead to better responsiveness.

#24 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

Having modded my own controllers, with both sanding and creating plastic spacers and modifying the dpad with cutting tools, I don't believe they've fixed the problem, it still has the nasty dpad posts, the electric contacts were never the problem in the controller it was that the dpad it self was designed in such a way that the plastic pads did not correctly come in contact with the electric contacts.

#25 Posted by rdav1109 (120 posts) -

They didn't redesign the controller! I'm seeing this everywhere. They used a shinier black plastic and made the guide button chrome! It's still the EXACT same controller.

#26 Posted by JoshB (169 posts) -

but the chrome... I've seen the chrome....

#27 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I didn't think the D-pad was bad until the other day when I bought Bionic Commando Rearmed.  You've got to get a game that needs real timed precision to realise it's a mess.  I've got  standard and Pringles Mod controller and neither are good enough when you really need it.

#28 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11410 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that the controller is the same (aside from making the big Xbox button in the middle shinier). I read somewhere (IGN maybe?) that the d-pad is sadly the same (terrible, in other words). 

#29 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

if they haven't that sucks, since they've already released an improved d-pad for a limited edition pro evolution soccer controller a while back, which actually worked.

#30 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -
@WickedFather said:
" I didn't think the D-pad was bad until the other day when I bought Bionic Commando Rearmed.  You've got to get a game that needs real timed precision to realise it's a mess.  I've got  standard and Pringles Mod controller and neither are good enough when you really need it. "
my modded controller works great, and I purchased a street fighter 4 gamepad with the vastly improved dpad...it works great too.
#31 Posted by bkfountain (103 posts) -
@cap123 said:
" if they haven't that sucks, since they've already released an improved d-pad for a limited edition pro evolution soccer controller a while back, which actually worked. "
but I believe they released that controller to work with a few games designed around the improved dpad. It was probably limited edition because MS is lazy and admitting their whole back library to date would need patches to support a better dpad would have been funny to see.
#32 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@cap123 said:

" if they haven't that sucks, since they've already released an improved d-pad for a limited edition pro evolution soccer controller a while back, which actually worked. "

I would like to see some confirmation on that (aka disassembly). There is plenty of info that the d-pad is supposed to be improved on the PES controller, but I have yet to find a picture of the internals that actually shows this. Especially the rumored 8-directions just sound weird, as those would actually need to be specifically supported by the firmware and games. The closed thing that I could find on the PES controller so far is this video, it doesn't show the internals, but it shows that the dpad sounds different when clicked.

For those who haven't yet seen it, here is the link to the How to take apart a Xbox360 controller video from the awesome guys at tested.com. 
#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they're just the european ones with the improved D-pad. 

#34 Posted by MrCandleguy (813 posts) -

Ive heard they have keeped it the same as the current controllers. But really how many games do you need to use it for? I bearly touch mine.

#35 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@bkfountain said:

" @cap123 said:

but I believe they released that controller to work with a few games designed around the improved dpad. It was probably limited edition because MS is lazy and admitting their whole back library to date would need patches to support a better dpad would have been funny to see. "
Whaaaaaat? That's absolute nonsense. Fixing the d-pad wouldn't require ANY form of adjustment to any software even if they added corner pads. The diagonal contacts would just act like two regular directions were pushed simultaneously like in standard 4 contact d-pad controllers and send the exact same thing out on a signal level.
#36 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

I see this video hasn't yet been posted, so: 

Wah BAM! there it is. 

**Edit: Oh, apparently someone did link to this. Always better to embed when possible though.
#37 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

" I see this video hasn't yet been posted, so: 

Wah BAM! there it is. 

**Edit: Oh, apparently someone did link to this. Always better to embed when possible though. "
yes we've seen it, and nothing is shown that the dpad problems were fixed, dpad problems were never a problem with the electrical contacts but the actual plastic contacts never making correct contact because of the way the dpad itself was designed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.