Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Your opinion on $15 arcade games?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Jayge_

In regards to the amount of achievement points they give out, anyway.

If you're paying 1/4 of a retail game, I think you should get 250 points with it.

Although paying like 1/6 of it got you 1/5 of the points before, so I dunno.

And retail games can easily drop below that price and offer 1000 points if they are old.

So what do you think about achievement points in correlation to pricing and content?

(I'm aware that this is arbitrary and useless, but I thought it might make for some sort of discussion)

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

I don't think any change should be made to the amount of Achievement Points that any arcade title can have...That's like saying a retail game that comes out new at $40 should only have 750pts. I think having a specific amount for each type of game/DLC is the way to go. Things could get so complicated if they decided to do it that way. If someday they start releasing games like Quest For Booty/Siren/Warhawk etc then I think there is need for a new point system (for those type of games only).

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Rowr

If you can only count your enjoyment of something through some arbitary points i feel for you.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayge_

I'd be up for a game that offers 631 points for no apparent reason other than price. Of course, I would only be amused because I don't really care about the system.

Don't worry about me Rowr. I'm far from that.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rowr
    Jayge said:
    "I'd be up for a game that offers 631 points for no apparent reason other than price. Of course, I would only be amused because I don't really care about the system.

Don't worry about me Rowr. I'm far from that."
    Im glad.

These things have the potential to mess with your head (they have with me in the past)

I like getting them, but at some point (the point where it messes with your typical game experience) It turns into WOW.

I played an online game this week, where my coop friend just had to get one more character at 50th level.

Too Human. I had to actually ask him why, like is that an achievement?

he only told me like it was something that must happen.

OCD. obssesive compulsive disorder. What can these people do? Its like Alcoholics anonymous.

And people say gameing isnt addictive.

Ive been addicted since i was 6 and i am still no where as bad as these people.

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Zebadee

Seriously Microsoft should just sell achievements...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
    Zebadee said:
    "Seriously Microsoft should just sell achievements..."
    They already do. You've heard of the infamous Avatar game?
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By brukaoru

I don't think I'll ever get into this whole achievement/trophy thing. I think it's ridiculous people will buy games they never intended to buy before, but because of achievements, they go out of their way to get them.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zityz

only good thing about achievements is that it gives you a bit more things to try and accomplish with the game instead of just playing it and putting it away, and for the completionist it's something to do.

Personally I don't care about achievements, there are some game I try to get them for, for fun but for the most part I'm not big on them.

That being said, I don't care about how much they charge vs Ap, I buy stuff off WiiWare and that has NO achievement points so.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Demyx
    brukaoru said:
    "I don't think I'll ever get into this whole achievement/trophy thing. I think it's ridiculous people will buy games they never intended to buy before, but because of achievements, they go out of their way to get them."
    As someone who doesn't have a job, I don't allow myself to care about Achievement points, I can only buy so many games so I can't waste any money.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    zityz said:
    "only good thing about achievements is that it gives you a bit more things to try and accomplish with the game instead of just playing it and putting it away, and for the completionist it's something to do.

Personally I don't care about achievements, there are some game I try to get them for, for fun but for the most part I'm not big on them.

That being said, I don't care about how much they charge vs Ap, I buy stuff off WiiWare and that has NO achievement points so."
    I use them as a motivator occaisionally too, if I'm bored. "Hey, that achievement is interesting. Let's do something challenging."
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Subway

Arcade games should be no more than 15$ period, and if they are, they should offer a hell of a lot more than they do. I can buy Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for 15$, yet Bankshot Billards used to cost as much? Give me a break.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brukaoru
    Demyx said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "I don't think I'll ever get into this whole achievement/trophy thing. I think it's ridiculous people will buy games they never intended to buy before, but because of achievements, they go out of their way to get them."
    As someone who doesn't have a job, I don't allow myself to care about Achievement points, I can only buy so many games so I can't waste any money."
    Exactly. Even if I was employed, why would I want to waste money buying games that I'm not interested in just to get points? Aah, I don't know, I'll just never understand it.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think it's too much for arcade games. Though for Xbox Originals, I think it's a fair price. I bought Braid, and while I really enjoyed it, I don't think it's quite worth shelling out $15 for. I think $10 would have been a better price. To me, the game doesn't have much replay value. I enjoyed it the first time, but when attempting a speed run, I realized that I didn't enjoy trying to figure out some of the puzzles again that I had forgotten how to solve. And dude, I totally deleted my game save to start over to try to get the stars, which I regret doing because man, that's a lot of work.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

So you think that replay value, achievements, and price are part of the same triangle that determines worth?

previous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By previous

I don't mind $15 arcade games, an extra 5-10 dollars isn't gonna stop me from having fun

shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shadowjak
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't really care.  Just cause the games download-able shouldn't mean that it's dirt cheap.  i mean if retail games eventually go strictly download-able, [and i am not saying that they will] who knows what prices will be.  There are plenty of retail of retail game that probably dont warrant a full $60 price tag.  I just think that if you see a game and like it then you should get it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

The thing is, 95% of all achievements are easy as shit to get..very rarely do you have ones that would even feel rewarding ,thats why I'll never get it. If they actually gave you unlocks in a game, thats one thing ,but since its pointless I don't fucking care one way or the other. Something like the Mile High Club achivement for cod4, that felt rewarding..or if its just something totally off the wall, that is fine with me and I'll do it...its just not usually like that. <insert amount of kills here > with <insert weapon here> for most multiplayer games or whatever isn't hard to do and is dumb..killing a few people with 1 sniper shot isn't hard to do..beating a game on the hardest difficulty in todays age, isn't hard to do at all, they're all to easy anyway. Like i said, when achievements are cool and provide some challenges in doing them, then I'll care.

I don't give a shit how many they have to me either for the arcade games, its not 'how many' but 'how many hard/cool ones are there', example, the few in geometry wars 2 are a bit more of a challenge, wax off being one, beating sequence, that stuff is fine...but I don't care if they suddenly gave them 40 achievements if they are all just simple stupid shit. I do think that most games that end up being sold for this price though aren't worth it to begin with, castle crashers is really the first one I think is worth it, though it needs an update asap because of crashing and bugs.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb

It depends on the game, if MS says that Banjo-Kazooie will be for $15 I'd still pay for it. It's less than what I would have to pay for a copy online.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hungrynun

I look at achievements as an well thought out afterthought on a game. It serves as replay value to me on a game that I think is interesting and fun.

The content of a game would have me look at the price, not the achievements.

Wijeeba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wijeeba

$15 XBLA are fine as long as they're really worth the price. If you think about it, $15 for a 5+ hour experience (Castle Crashers, Castlevania) is a pretty good deal.
    I could care less about the number of gamerscore in the games.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#23  Edited By Vinchenzo
    pause422 said:
    "The thing is, 95% of all achievements are easy as shit to get..very rarely do you have ones that would even feel rewarding ,thats why I'll never get it. If they actually gave you unlocks in a game, thats one thing ,but since its pointless I don't fucking care one way or the other. Something like the Mile High Club achivement for cod4, that felt rewarding..or if its just something totally off the wall, that is fine with me and I'll do it...its just not usually like that. <insert amount of kills here > with <insert weapon here> for most multiplayer games or whatever isn't hard to do and is dumb..killing a few people with 1 sniper shot isn't hard to do..beating a game on the hardest difficulty in todays age, isn't hard to do at all, they're all to easy anyway. Like i said, when achievements are cool and provide some challenges in doing them, then I'll care.

I don't give a shit how many they have to me either for the arcade games, its not 'how many' but 'how many hard/cool ones are there', example, the few in geometry wars 2 are a bit more of a challenge, wax off being one, beating sequence, that stuff is fine...but I don't care if they suddenly gave them 40 achievements if they are all just simple stupid shit. I do think that most games that end up being sold for this price though aren't worth it to begin with, castle crashers is really the first one I think is worth it, though it needs an update asap because of crashing and bugs."
    Nice statistics, but next time you guesstimate, take a better guess. (Sarcasm if you didn't catch that.)
    xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xxNBxx
    brukaoru said:

Its mostly a guy thing, you know the old saying  "who's got the bigger..."  (joking)

I don't worry about points cause i don't need someway to make myself feel better then other players.

The price of the game should have nothing to do with the amount of points it gives, because i can just rent a game for 4 bucks and still game the same amount of points,  but for DLC games you have to pay 8-15 bucks so price can't control points.
    calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By calf_exercises

yeah, its dear, but as long as they only charge that much for good games I think its fine.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422
    Vinchenzo said:
    "pause422 said:
    "The thing is, 95% of all achievements are easy as shit to get..very rarely do you have ones that would even feel rewarding ,thats why I'll never get it. If they actually gave you unlocks in a game, thats one thing ,but since its pointless I don't fucking care one way or the other. Something like the Mile High Club achivement for cod4, that felt rewarding..or if its just something totally off the wall, that is fine with me and I'll do it...its just not usually like that. <insert amount of kills here > with <insert weapon here> for most multiplayer games or whatever isn't hard to do and is dumb..killing a few people with 1 sniper shot isn't hard to do..beating a game on the hardest difficulty in todays age, isn't hard to do at all, they're all to easy anyway. Like i said, when achievements are cool and provide some challenges in doing them, then I'll care.

I don't give a shit how many they have to me either for the arcade games, its not 'how many' but 'how many hard/cool ones are there', example, the few in geometry wars 2 are a bit more of a challenge, wax off being one, beating sequence, that stuff is fine...but I don't care if they suddenly gave them 40 achievements if they are all just simple stupid shit. I do think that most games that end up being sold for this price though aren't worth it to begin with, castle crashers is really the first one I think is worth it, though it needs an update asap because of crashing and bugs."
    Nice statistics, but next time you guesstimate, take a better guess. (Sarcasm if you didn't catch that.)"
    uh no, cuz its true.
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By DoctorTran

Quite frankly... I spent 20 dollars on Penny Arcades the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness... That was 20 bucks. Yeah I don't mind paying a premium for good Arcade games.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By KingBroly

I fear they'll become the norm based on the success of 2 anomalies.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

if its a good game then its worth the money, i cant figure out why people clamour for free all the time rarely RARELY is free good, most of the time free stuff is crap its bad quality...ect im willing to pay money for whats worth that money.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Yit

The 2 games that are 15 bucks on XBLA right now are totally worth it. I could care less about achievement points.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Vaxadrin

I'm with RLBaker & Yit.  If the game costs $15, but the game is worth $15, then what the hell's the problem?  I totally would have paid $30 or $40 for Braid/Castle Crashers if it was on a disc last gen, and still get my money's worth.

As for having a specific number of achievement points based on cost, that applies a dollar value to achievement points which makes the whole thing worse than it already is.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Red

I don't really care about the achievements you can get per game. I mean; Banjo Kazooie is gonna be $40 but it still has full achievements. I'm fine with it for a game that I like and I'm not surprised that they use it for indie games. But if I'm on the fence about the game, I won''t buy it if there's another $5

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jayge_
    Vaxadrin said:
    "As for having a specific number of achievement points based on cost, that applies a dollar value to achievement points which makes the whole thing worse than it already is."
    To be honest, that's why I'd go for it. It's be hilarious.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vaxadrin

Then they need to just go all out and have you pay 1200 Microsoft points to have 1200 added to your Gamerscore.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jayge_

The sad thing is how many people would legitimately take that offer. It's not like Microsoft doesn't sell achievements already (what else are serialized games and movie shit good for?).

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vaxadrin

Namco-Bandai's currently working out the logistics of it.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KindGalaxy

I bought Braid, played it for half an hour, xbox got the red lights, felt dirty, had a shot of vodka, drop kicked the xbox into the wall with some steel capped boots, sent it to microsoft, awaited the arrival of replacement, replacement red lighted, bought a new xbox 360 for $479 AU; point of the story is $15 for an XBLA game is the least of my worries.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vaxadrin

David Clayman is that you?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#39  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm willing to pay money for quality, but I've yet to buy a $15 game on XBL.  However, that being said, I've dropped over $15 on DLC before - Oblivion, namely.  So if something's worth it, yeah, I'll check it out.

Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
    BlackSuitAndTie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlackSuitAndTie9

Well, I'm enjoying Braid quite a bit so I don't care at all. Just as long as the game is good, I don't care about paying a bit extra for it. Paying $15 for a quality game like Braid, or paying $60 for a crappy game like Hour of Victory - which would you choose?

Kaycon11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kaycon11

I think no XBLA game is worth $15, they just aren't as appealing as regular retail games, I don't know about you but every XBLA game I buy I end up only playing in short periods for only a couple of hours and then Im pretty much done with it. I hate the idea of $15 games but I think they are all gonna now become $15 because people buy them still, just like how games became $60, and next generation they will try $70 and of course, people will buy the games still and it will fly.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jayge_
    Kaycon11 said:
    "I think no XBLA game is worth $15, they just aren't as appealing as regular retail games, I don't know about you but every XBLA game I buy I end up only playing in short periods for only a couple of hours and then Im pretty much done with it. I hate the idea of $15 games but I think they are all gonna now become $15 because people buy them still, just like how games became $60, and next generation they will try $70 and of course, people will buy the games still and it will fly."
    The games that are 15 dollars all have incredibly high production values and replay value (for Castle Crashers, anyway). They're all above the grade for Arcade. It's just a platform moving forward, is all.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Oni

I think a game's value is determined by its quality and nothing else. I think equating length to value is dumb for a number of reasons. Sure it can factor in, but to say a game isn't worth X simply because it is not some arbitrary length is... dumb. That's my opinion anyway.

And you guys need to realize, stuff like Braid and Castle Crashers would totally have cost 30 or 40 bucks if they came out on PSP, DS or whatever. Puzzle Quest came out on XBLA for 1200 points, and no one complained, because DS and PSP copies cost more. Braid and CC come out, and people complain, because every other Live Arcade game is 800 points.

I'm going to quote Vaxadrin here, who commented on my blog, which I wrote about pricing: "People have a sense of entitlement because of how cheap XBLA games have been up until now.  Frankly, Braid is a higher quality product with far more content than the 800 point games that have been coming out since XBLA's inception.  $5 more, then, is not unreasonable."

Completely agree with this.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Oemenia

All of a sudden, 800 points is now cheap ='(

Simply said, i hate it...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.