When should I sell my 360?

Posted by DockJaw (93 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: When should I sell my 360? (70 votes)

Today 60%
Wait til after the announce event 40%
#1 Posted by DockJaw (93 posts) -

I don't know how to add a third voting option on mobile but it would have been "before the next one launches" and the fourth would have been "never"

#2 Posted by RuthLoose (775 posts) -

What makes you so sure the next Xbox will be backwards compatible? We already know that the PS4 will not feature native PS3 backwards compatibility. I vote never.

#3 Posted by Veektarius (4541 posts) -

I voted before I read your post and assumed you were selling it regardless. If so, today. Even if old games are your thing, unless you specifically want to play Halo or Gears, you can probably pick up any old games you have in a Steam sale for a song.

#4 Edited by Clonedzero (4050 posts) -

Whenever you want, it doesnt effect me. I dont know your gaming habits. I still use my 360 everyday.

#5 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

I'd say never, rumors say that the next xbox won't have backwards compatibility. If it does however I'd sell it after they announce that it will be backwards compatible.

#6 Edited by DockJaw (93 posts) -

I'm sure it won't be, but I've played all the 360 games I wanted to play and I still have a PC and PS3. It's a 250gb Halo Reach special edition.

#7 Edited by DockJaw (93 posts) -

I'm definitely going to sell it, but I also think it's a good idea to start discussing what we're going to do with our consoles since this generational shift is going to get hella weird

#8 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I'm was planning to sell mine after GTA5 originally, but now I realize it would probably be smarter to play Destiny on 360 and ignore the new consoles for awhile.

#9 Edited by Nixon34 (96 posts) -

@clonedzero: Why on earth put an answer on this, you literally said nothing.

#10 Posted by Nixon34 (96 posts) -

@mideonnviscera: Everyone should do that, Its like Patrick said on the bombcast. New games for new systems suck until they have time to learn the system. Save your money and let the hardcore people pay full price and wait till they gave you a good reason to upgrade. Also let the early adopters suffer through the glitches and the bugs in the new system.

#11 Posted by thatdutchguy (1267 posts) -

what are you gonna sell it for? 50 bucks ?

just keep it.

#12 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

Whenever you want, it doesnt effect me. I dont know your gaming habits. I still use my 360 everyday.

NO MAN CONNECT THE DOTS! He sells his Xbox has his local gamespot. A poor kid walks in and sees that xbox. But he can't afford it. Soon after the kid and his parents move to a different city for a better life. Years later that kid see another xbox 360 in a store window that he can't afford. He's bitter now and determined to get it. So he decides to steal it. Later that night he breaks into the gamestop armed with his dad's gun. He thinks he's about to make away with a 360 finally when a security grabs his shoulder from behind.

Shocked at the touch the kid spins around and fires the gun and hits the guard in the stomach. The kid drops the xbox and runs off. The guard is able to call an ambulance that takes him to the local hospital. On the way to the hospital there is an accident ahead. Somebody struck a kid running across the busy road. The man inside the car is in shock. As the police approach the fresh scene, they notice something in the driver's lap. It's the head of the kid. It flew right through the window and into that drivers lap.

As the weeks go on that driver sill has trouble sleeping with visions of that kids head in his lap. So he decides he can't take it anymore and wants to end it all.

That man is you clonedsero. That man is you!

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

A long time ago. If you have a big collection of 360 games then wait till you find out if the X-Box 3 will be backwards compatible. If you know you are never going to want to play your 360 games again then sell it now before everyone is trying to sell their 360 to pay for a PS4.

#14 Posted by Nixon34 (96 posts) -

@jams: Wow! that was both intense and filled with crazy talk. I salute you for the effort you put in. And the length you were willing to go to shame that stupid comment. I tip my hat to you ( i know i have a hat around here somewhere). You are a Gentleman and a Scholar.

#15 Edited by Jeust (10452 posts) -

Unless you'll want to go back and play your previously owned games, I say right now. There is no great exclusive coming. Microsoft is probably working towards the launch of the next Xbox.

Although there might be a game that you like and is still coming, like Remember Me. You should check it out.

If all that fails, and there is no thrill in your current console, sell it. The faster you sell it the most money you'll get out of it.

#16 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@jams said:

@clonedzero said:

NO MAN CONNECT THE DOTS! He sells his Xbox has his local gamespot. A poor kid walks in and sees that xbox. But he can't afford it. Soon after the kid and his parents move to a different city for a better life. Years later that kid see another xbox 360 in a store window that he can't afford. He's bitter now and determined to get it. So he decides to steal it. Later that night he breaks into the gamestop armed with his dad's gun. He thinks he's about to make away with a 360 finally when a security grabs his shoulder from behind.

Shocked at the touch the kid spins around and fires the gun and hits the guard in the stomach. The kid drops the xbox and runs off. The guard is able to call an ambulance that takes him to the local hospital. On the way to the hospital there is an accident ahead. Somebody struck a kid running across the busy road. The man inside the car is in shock. As the police approach the fresh scene, they notice something in the driver's lap. It's the head of the kid. It flew right through the window and into that drivers lap.

As the weeks go on that driver sill has trouble sleeping with visions of that kids head in his lap. So he decides he can't take it anymore and wants to end it all.

That man is you clonedsero. That man is you!

Well done.

#17 Edited by Clonedzero (4050 posts) -

@jams: Do i at least get to keep his head? I got this big ass mason jar

@nixon34:I just woke up and I'm drinking coffee thats why.

#18 Posted by Nixon34 (96 posts) -

I am 25 years old and i have discovered that i no longer like to sell my systems or games back as there will come a time when I want to relive some of those experiences . It depends on what your into, but if you think you could want replay any of the games you have for the system, i would just hold onto it. your going to pay a hefty premium if you want to rebuy one down the road.

#19 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

You should keep it and connect it to your Xbox Infinity. They already announced that this was one of the ways of doing BC.

#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4050 posts) -

To give a real answer, unless you need the cash i wouldn't sell mine personally. Granted i love my 360 but even if i didn't play it anymore i know the moment i sell it, i'll get home and be like "MAN! I really wanna replay through Red Dead Redemption!" or something weird like that and be kicking myself for it.

#21 Posted by Ben_H (3296 posts) -

I'd keep it. You already spent all that money on it along with games for it, and the amount you will get selling it will likely be negligible at best.

I'm keeping mine. I like going back to old games and playing them again.

#22 Posted by Nixon34 (96 posts) -

@clonedzero: Yep, and then its going to turn out that you only want to play a little bit of it. The pull is going to be strong enough that you purchase the game again but then after 60 minutes or a weekend, your going to decide that you don't want it anymore. I sold all of my Assassins creed games after i beat them and now i had to repurchase them on the XBL store. felt the pull, rebought them. haven't put more then 2 hours into any of them since.

#23 Posted by Nixon34 (96 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance: Really, they have announced that? They haven't done anything more then acknowledge that a new system exists, let alone announce specifications.

#24 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@nixon34 I read it somewhere. Can't provide the source, but you're welcome to debunk or approve it. I for one will keep my Dead Rising box.

Double posting is frowned upon here. There's an edit button.

#25 Posted by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

Deppendign on how many games you have, if you have a little SELL SELL SELL, if you have alot of them keep it.

#26 Posted by Mendelson9 (401 posts) -

I think the 3rd Xbox has a much better chance of being backwards compatible since it has a standard processor in it, unlike the Cell in the PS3. (at least i think the 360 CPU is x86.) I was not supprised at all that the PS4 was not backwards compatible but I would be a little surprised if the Xbox was not too.

For me I'll be keeping my Xbox. I have a lot of Rock Band DLC and I don't know if those guitar controllers will be compatible too. Also I always keep my consoles. I love my old CRT with NES, SNES, N64, GCN, PS2.

#27 Edited by McTangle (157 posts) -

Right now duder. Nothing good is coming out and if it is it'll have crappy frame rates and crummy textures. Sell and wait.

#28 Edited by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

A. - Its not worth shit.

IIV. - It doesn't take up very much space.

9. - I guarantee one day you will want to play an old 360 game and end up buying another one.

Just keep it.

#29 Posted by endoworks (271 posts) -

I haven't sold my xbox yet but I have been getting ride of my collection, I have been selling my games on ebay for a few weeks right now and been surprised at how easy it is, especially compared to how little you get on trade in at amazon/gamestop. So I would hold for a little while but it's a good idea to sale while it's still got some value.

#30 Posted by JayEH (516 posts) -

Keep it, you'll get like 50 - 100 bucks top. North worth it. Also if the next xbox is backwards compatible you'll wish you had it.

#31 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2181 posts) -

Don't sell consoles. EVER

#32 Posted by SeanFoster (854 posts) -

#33 Edited by Dethfish (3618 posts) -

I wouldn't sell it unless you plan on never playing a 360 game again. Personally, I love keeping all my old consoles. Sometimes I just feel like playing something old.

#34 Posted by GnomeonFire (694 posts) -

Depends entirely on you.

#35 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

I would have to say never only because I believe there won't be any backwards compatibility unless you plan on trading in your entire game collection or selling it on Ebay however you prefer.

#36 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

If you need the money, sell it soon, then again, there might be a new big market for 360s if the new xbox isnt backwards compatible. In short, ehhh?

#37 Posted by zels (204 posts) -

Three years ago.

But seriously, if you're done with every game that you wanted to play and don't feel like coming back to any of them, now is probably a good time.

#38 Posted by DarthOrange (3827 posts) -

If you have a PS3 and/or PC then you should have sold it yesterday. There are no more exclusives coming to that thing. If it is your only way to play games then keep it.

#39 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

If you continue to use it, keep it. If you don't, don't. Simple. The announcement of a new system isn't going to change that, because the release is still 6 months out. At least.

#40 Edited by jamesjudy (1 posts) -

I still have mine for the same exact reason. Split screen, social gatherings and then we have the 360 exclusive games.
Until PC start offering more split screen games I will keep a console around for that very reason. Its not fun taking turn playing on a PC no matter how awesome it looks, most friends probably could care less if they have to watch you play. Considering you posted this in a PC enthusiast forum, you will more than likely get negative feedback on consoles so you might as well start selling it if you just wanted reasons.

#41 Posted by Castiel (2520 posts) -

Burn that piece of thrash!

#42 Edited by Fearbeard (823 posts) -

Well, the highest dollar amount would be to sell it now. Though if you plan on buying a PS4 or the new Xbox then there might be deals which you can trade in your Xbox 360 and get extra credit if you are pre-ordering a new system. Actually you might want to wait till the reveal anyways just to see the backwards compatibility plan.

#43 Edited by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1799 posts) -

You forgot to put a "as soon as it was purchased" option up there.

I kid, I kid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.