Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live Indie Games

Concept »

An official line of downloadable games for the Xbox 360 that were developed, peer-reviewed, and self-published by a community of indie developers using Microsoft's XNA framework.

The Future of XNA Game Studio and Windows 8

• 55 results
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Fobwashed said:

I'm currently mid developing an XNA title myself and my two cents is that I don't really care whether or not the game I'm making will play nice with the new boxy Windows. I'm not sure that I'd want to release it in Microsoft's app store over hopefully releasing on Steam anyway.

Pretty much, everything will still run, it's just not going to be integrated into the super boxy touchy feely format.

I wonder if you'd feel that way if the same was true on the 360.

@ProfessorEss: Thing is, man, their is no reason why the delineation should exist. There are iOS games which use the same techniques and engines which full blown OpenGL/GLQuartz apps and games use (Infinity Blade) and the same will be true for Metro apps which will eventually use SlimDX. That makes the delineation moot and clearly indicates that MS, just like Apple, is trying to create a walled garden for app developers so that small time game developers are forced to use complex and expensive SDKs with restrictive licenses (for the most part, exceptions exist like UDK, Unity and Source but they still have their own complexities which take them well beyond the simplicity of XNA) by disallowing the sales of XNA games via their main UI.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Dredlockz

@Fobwashed said:

I'm currently mid developing an XNA title myself and my two cents is that I don't really care whether or not the game I'm making will play nice with the new boxy Windows. I'm not sure that I'd want to release it in Microsoft's app store over hopefully releasing on Steam anyway.

Pretty much, everything will still run, it's just not going to be integrated into the super boxy touchy feely format.

Completely agree.

I think this next windows8 will be one OS that people will skip through. Kind of like how I went from xp to win7. Because now they announced that the new window's Internet Explorer wont run flash, because plugins mess with your battery life..... (what battery?). It's as if they're just moving stuff from windows mobile to windows 8 desktop version without thinking it through. Its madness.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37279/Microsoft_Drops_Flash_Support_In_Upcoming_Browser.php

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Dredlockz

@GoodKn1ght said:

@Cubical said:

What the fuck is this Tablet and console noob Xbox crap doing in fucking windows 8? I don't want this crap I already got a fucking Android based tablet phone that is not wha tI buy fucking windows for.

Where in the fuck is the real standard desktop? Fuck you microsoft I am not upgrading and I am using linux and your old ass windows 7 I bought like 3 years ago and your even older ass windows xp.

No start menu WHAT the fuck are they doing?

It's people like you that just need to not exist. Not saying I want you to die, just to never have been born at all. Like really look at your former posts

"Console noobs don't have PC that can run Ultima 4 and they should not even try and if for some magic reason they did have one they can not handle it. and if they cant handle playing it they should not try to play it."

"Oh in other words they mean the real PC games not that fucking suck ass console noob versions that looked like ass and dumb down the controls and gameplay."

"Fuck this game they turned syndicate into a console noob FPS for call of crap noobs who don't even know what a fucking decent FPS even is."

"He has only done one halo game and never finshed it. in other words He wanted to fuck with the games and make something insane and microsoft said no so he had a hissy fit and left. IF i only I could have that power I get fucked over my company makes me make crap for a fucking worthless Apple products like the Ipad and we used to work on the fucking PC engine and xbox unreal engine. Not that I care about fucking halo and console noob shooters, thank god when we make one of those that is when I quit or they force us to make crap like gears of war."

Seriously, you're an ass. You do not deserve your first amendment right. It should be stripped from you then shoved up your ass because, frankly, you deserve it. I really hope for your sake and the sake of anyone that has the unfortunate displeasure to call you their friend or co worker that you are only like this on the internet, because if this is how you acted in real life I pity anyone you ever come in contact with and pray to god that our paths never cross.

I admit that ravenous enraged monkey-trolls like him shouldn't be taken too seriously. But he does make one valid point. Specifically "What is this xbox, mobile shit doing in my desktop?"

I already have all consoles, and an iPad, I have those casual browsing/media/game needs covered. The focus of my desktop computer is different. I want productivity and the ability to run high-end graphic intensive applications without all this visual overhead from the OS. I already turn off all that Windows Aero crap, not because my i7 quad-SLI desktop computer can't handle it, but because it's stuff I don't need to be wasting resources in.

I guess they're trying to target the casual desktop users with this, and I'm pretty sure it will all be customizable and easy to disable. But why should we, the superusers,make the upgrade then?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By fobwashed

@SeriouslyNowsaid:

@Fobwashed said:

I wonder if you'd feel that way if the same was true on the 360.

If things were different, then I'd feel differently about it. What's to wonder? =P

ElStevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By ElStevo

While this will be the case when Windows 8 launches, I'm sure they'll fix it before long.

VIDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By VIDI

@devoninja: Actually, they both use Metro. Metro is Microsoft's design language (heavily font based and very minimalistic) that they introduced in Windows Media Center and the Zune player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.