Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live Indie Games

Concept »

An official line of downloadable games for the Xbox 360 that were developed, peer-reviewed, and self-published by a community of indie developers using Microsoft's XNA framework.

Xbox Community Games

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

So at this point I am pretty sure that the people who are on the approval committee for Xbox Community Games are trolls. Last time I checked, I found a game that was basically a re-skinned XNA coding example. That means they took pre-existingcode written by developers at Microsoft (designed to help fledgling coders understand how to do certain things), changed some textures, and tried to sell it.

I check now, and I find this thing called "Urban Art Gallery". It's... a scrolling list of twenty or so "urban art" images. Most of them being solid black silhouettes of women against bright color patterns. We're talking the sort of stuff that you can do in Photoshop in ten minutes. And, of course, they are trying to sell it.

I mean, wow. I get that there was a recent report that Community Games don't sell, and all, but this is actually a little bit sad. The entire reason there's supposed to be an approval committee at all is to make sure that things like this don't make it out for sale. Of course nobody's going to buy your silly Photoshop gallery or your awful driving game. Community Games need to move past WELCOME TO MEXICO and more towards Carneyvale Showtime.

Let's see some more quality! Do we really need five Community Games whose only purpose is to vibrate the controller?

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#1  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

So at this point I am pretty sure that the people who are on the approval committee for Xbox Community Games are trolls. Last time I checked, I found a game that was basically a re-skinned XNA coding example. That means they took pre-existingcode written by developers at Microsoft (designed to help fledgling coders understand how to do certain things), changed some textures, and tried to sell it.

I check now, and I find this thing called "Urban Art Gallery". It's... a scrolling list of twenty or so "urban art" images. Most of them being solid black silhouettes of women against bright color patterns. We're talking the sort of stuff that you can do in Photoshop in ten minutes. And, of course, they are trying to sell it.

I mean, wow. I get that there was a recent report that Community Games don't sell, and all, but this is actually a little bit sad. The entire reason there's supposed to be an approval committee at all is to make sure that things like this don't make it out for sale. Of course nobody's going to buy your silly Photoshop gallery or your awful driving game. Community Games need to move past WELCOME TO MEXICO and more towards Carneyvale Showtime.

Let's see some more quality! Do we really need five Community Games whose only purpose is to vibrate the controller?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

ahaha urban art gallery?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kmdrkul

I've yet to be the slightest bit interested in any Community Game.  Even the high quality games just didn't look very interesting..

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

You didn't even mention the Plasma TV calibrator.

What do you expect? If this stuff takes someone a day to put together, and they make what, a few peripheral sales, maybe .05% of users buy it for shits and giggles, you've paid for your Community Games subscription for that year and can put the money towards developing more meaningfull content.

And if those people dont develop more meaningfull content, they will eventually stop producing stuff. 
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

XNA games are approved by the XNA creators club members, and they are instructed to merely check that the game works as intended, does not contain content prohibited by microsoft, and rate its violence, sexual content etc. They are not trolls, they are merely doing as microsoft instruct them. They aren't supposed to make decisions based on the quality. It's designed to be an open-ish platform, where people can develop anything they want, providing it doesn't contain extreme violence, sex, or anything fun to do with avatars. And if MS were being more restrictive, people would complain much much more.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Out_On_Bail

It's no different then the iPhone apps out there. Anyone can make one, most are stupid, but there's a few gems in there that make it all worth it.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.