Microsoft Might Be Beta Testing A Live Poker Game

• 71 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Microsoft Game Studios let 1 Vs. 100 fadeaway , but it appears as if the publisher is still intent on making games with the same Primetime structure. Kotaku has obtained a supposed e-mail from Microsoft that calls for beta testers for a title named Texas Heat, a regularly scheduled live poker game that will ask players to "play, win, and compete, against thousands of players around the world." Texas Heat will feature a bankroll to keep track of winnings, and will somehow incorporate unique tells in addition to our custom avatar items and gear. Much like 1 vs. 100 before it, it will also shower winners with prizes as they compete online.

Interestingly, it appears as if Texas Heat is just one scheduled show under an umbrella called "Full House Poker." However, it's also the only game for Full House Poker mentioned in this alleged email.  

Sadly, information about Texas Heat and Full House Poker stops at "live" show. Microsoft doesn't even make it clear that Texas Heat will feature the often-televised and much more popular variant of standard poker, Texas Hold 'Em, though its inclusion is implied by the name alone.  

With 1 Vs. 100 gone, I'd prefer The Weakest Link Live, but a poker game will do nicely too. Assuming that Texas Heat will be very similar to the first (and so far only) Primetime title, would you be willing to participate? Or are the ads, the odd transitions, and the structure too much for you?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Microsoft Game Studios let 1 Vs. 100 fadeaway , but it appears as if the publisher is still intent on making games with the same Primetime structure. Kotaku has obtained a supposed e-mail from Microsoft that calls for beta testers for a title named Texas Heat, a regularly scheduled live poker game that will ask players to "play, win, and compete, against thousands of players around the world." Texas Heat will feature a bankroll to keep track of winnings, and will somehow incorporate unique tells in addition to our custom avatar items and gear. Much like 1 vs. 100 before it, it will also shower winners with prizes as they compete online.

Interestingly, it appears as if Texas Heat is just one scheduled show under an umbrella called "Full House Poker." However, it's also the only game for Full House Poker mentioned in this alleged email.  

Sadly, information about Texas Heat and Full House Poker stops at "live" show. Microsoft doesn't even make it clear that Texas Heat will feature the often-televised and much more popular variant of standard poker, Texas Hold 'Em, though its inclusion is implied by the name alone.  

With 1 Vs. 100 gone, I'd prefer The Weakest Link Live, but a poker game will do nicely too. Assuming that Texas Heat will be very similar to the first (and so far only) Primetime title, would you be willing to participate? Or are the ads, the odd transitions, and the structure too much for you?
#2 Posted by Kyreo (4602 posts) -

Dude I love Poker.  This is perfect.... at least I hope it will be.

#3 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

More rumours.

#4 Posted by mustachioeugene (521 posts) -

Perfect host; Chris Cashman. His last name has CASH in it! The title practically writes itself

#5 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -

Why did my comments get deleted? Wtf

#6 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

curious...do you bet achievement points? i doubt it but that'd be sweet...AND terrible at the same time!

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Yeah, but now I can play video game poker with Max, and the Heavy from TF2, it kinda makes this less exciting than it could be. 

#8 Posted by zombie2011 (5048 posts) -

fucking yes if this is true. 

#9 Posted by rentfn (1288 posts) -

I like the poker arcade game that is on live so i'll be pumped for this.

#10 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

I dunno, I have a feeling this is totally true. 

Call it a hunch, but I'm nearly positive these emails did in fact go out. 

A "hunch".

#11 Posted by goodwood (600 posts) -

Damn you other beta testers why cant you keep secrets!

#12 Posted by ShaunM (82 posts) -

No Chris Cashman, no interest.

#13 Posted by Sogeman (878 posts) -

If this once again isn't available  in my country, I'm going to shout.

#14 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -

Poker's pretty 2005. We're all about Deerhunter style roulette now. When someone loses you get showered with... well... let's just say not prizes.

#15 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Does canada get it first again. Come on we need something.

#16 Posted by fazzle (308 posts) -

I would play this way too much, assuming there would be games on when I'm not working.

#17 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

So it's Poker Night at the Inventory but with Full House characters? Sign me up!

#18 Posted by MrHammeh (202 posts) -

Would be interested if there were actually nice prizes, otherwise I will stick with my Pokerstars on the PC.  =)

#19 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Poker, seriously? I'd much rather have the trivia.

#20 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Sin4profit: I'd never play then!
#21 Posted by oopprraahh (80 posts) -
@DiscoDuck8k said:
" Poker, seriously? I'd much rather have the trivia. "
yup
#22 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Oh wait, I just realized I'd never play it anyway because it'll probably NEVER BE AVAILABLE IN EUROPE LIKE USUAL.

#23 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

Will it have Kinect support?

#24 Posted by elwillow (69 posts) -

I don't mind the ads. For stuff to be free it a necessary evil.

#25 Posted by Magicallystoopid (466 posts) -

This is actually a cool idea, just Chris Cashman to host it and I'll gladly do it.

#26 Posted by tsigo (102 posts) -

People still care about poker?

#27 Posted by TJSmash (83 posts) -

Why is Giant Bomb posting pics with Kotaku watermarks?

#28 Posted by mekon (288 posts) -
@TJSmash said:
" Why is Giant Bomb posting pics with Kotaku watermarks? "
Credit where it's due?
#29 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -
@tsigo said:
" People still care about poker? "
what is this i don't even
#30 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1417 posts) -

Could be fun if done right. A poker tournament takes more then an hour though when you have lots of players. One round of poker takes about an hour. Also this will only be fun if its no limit. 

#31 Posted by timmysprinkles (73 posts) -
@DiscoDuck8k said:
" Poker, seriously? I'd much rather have the trivia. "
Agreed
#32 Posted by Killroycantkill (1423 posts) -

I think the real question is; does it come with a pre order bonus hat for my Heavy in TF2?
#33 Posted by Det1 (190 posts) -
@Killroycantkill said:
" I think the real question is; does it come with a pre order bonus hat for my Heavy in TF2? "
No, but you can earn avatar hats and achievements.
#34 Posted by marrec (256 posts) -

Fuck this, I want 1 vs. 100. I can't play Poker against my Wife while we're sitting on the same couch like we could with 1 vs. 100. 

#35 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

Wow, can't play internet poker anywhere else.

#36 Edited by subyman (668 posts) -

No more beta solicitations to kotaku anymore lol.  Aren't you supposed to keep this stuff quiet when you receive it?  Actually, I got the email as well and here is a bolded line in it: 

This beta program is highly confidential . Please do not discuss the game or the beta program with anyone.

#37 Posted by bwmcmaste (862 posts) -
@Det1 said:
" @Killroycantkill said:
" I think the real question is; does it come with a pre order bonus hat for my Heavy in TF2? "
No, but you can earn avatar hats and achievements. "
...And it comes with a Daft Punk CD.
#38 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

I love how game journalism now involves writing about what other websites are writing. 

Fair play Brad for the easy gig, I just think it's a waste of bandwidth.

#39 Posted by Dinoracha (50 posts) -

I'm rather disappointed that 1 Vs 100 is gone; however, I'll give them props for bringing a new event up, not just scrapping these prime time things as a whole.
Well played, sirs.

#40 Posted by confideration (441 posts) -

thanks but no

#41 Posted by Hector (3378 posts) -

I hope this is true.

#42 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I thought Microsoft completely gave up on Primetime.

#43 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Screw Microsoft! I'd rather have a decent pokergame with a twist. 

#44 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@TJSmash said:
" Why is Giant Bomb posting pics with Kotaku watermarks? "
Where else are they supposed to get an image for something that does not officially exist? That's where the image came from.
#45 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -

These live shows are really interesting and are really a great product of this "online all the time" environment we now live in

#46 Posted by Garfield360UK (453 posts) -

I am glad to see Microsoft possibly are considering a prime time return if this rumour turns out to be true. However I am sadened by it being a poker game, "The Weakest Link" or "Deal or No Deal" or "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"  would have been more accepted as a game for all to play really.
#47 Posted by NikoBellic (42 posts) -

I got a request to be part of the beta for this.  Email from Microsoft that I had to answer a questionnaire and they would be back in touch with me...d
Interesting.....

#48 Posted by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

I love to play Texas Hold 'Em so sign me up. I just hope I can win stuff or something.

#49 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

Well, you could ask but I don't think Bob's available ... 
#50 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

[card game term] [card game]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.