Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Buy Stuff on Live With Real World Dollars; Also, User-Ratings

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TheKidNixon

Along with the upcoming addition of On-Demand games for the Xbox Lives,apparently buying things using Microsoft Points is going to become a thing of the past. While it was already seen that the price of downloadable on-demand games would be in normal dollars and cents, apparently Live is going to ditch the whole Microsoft points system completely. Welcome news to be sure.

Along with that, another welcome addition to live is going to be the iTunes esque user-rating system, where people can grade Live content on a five-star scale. This way, the lesser known but worthy content might rise to the top, especially if they allow you to sort by the average star levels, IE, show me only games with a four or five star average.

I say both these announcements call for much rejoicing!

Source

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

I didn't really mind the MS Points all that much.

However, I do really like the idea of a rating system!
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

I'm pretty ok with everything mentioned, especially the rating system.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60

Sounds good.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Awesome.  I hate Microsoft Points.  All hale the new money system!

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TwoLines

Crap. Now how am I going to buy games from arcade?
    Ehh..
    Scratch that- there still will be an option to pay in points.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TheHBK

I do mind the points system, because its retarded. Why would they make the points system if only to try to make people think stuff is cheaper than it really is.  80 points is a dollar, oh i guess if it is 400 points for a game on XBL than 500 points for a game on the Wii, it must be cheaper!  Seriously though, having to figure out how to buy stuff and figure out how much i will be spending sucks.  Not hard but just not necessary.  Also, dont like paying for points I dont use right away, thats just MS taking your money so they have claim to have revenue coming in.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

I think using real money is only for Games on Demand...

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

I never minded MS points until last week. I tried to buy a theme and was off by 7 points. Somehow I got to 243 points? Now I'm glad they are ditching it.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By mracoon

Finally I can use real money and not have random amounts of points left over.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By demonbear

Horse armor, you're going down!!!

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By JoeyIA

So, will I be able to buy games straight-up like PSN or will it be like Wii where I have to give Nintendo $10 even if I just want to buy an $8 game?

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ShadowKiller

That point thing is great news, cards cost way too much where I live.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @Diamond said:
    " I think using real money is only for Games on Demand... "
    From the source's source:

"Meeting with Microsoft's Scott Austin to talk about Xbox Live, there was little expectation of sexy reveals or big news, and what we saw during the briefing wasn't flashy in any way. But there was still some really good news for Xbox 360 owners: Microsoft is getting set to update Xbox Live in a number of ways to make it easier to find and buy content. The big news is that games will be priced in your local currency, and you'll be able to buy with a credit card, bypassing the point system altogether. That's not all.

"We're going to have 30 or more games launching in August, worldwide, in all markets. We'll also be adding new content in all of our markets weekly," Austin explained. This is the Games on Demand service that was announced after the Microsoft press conference: you'll now be able to buy full-sized, big-name titles directly from Xbox Live and download them to your console."

Maybe the person writing that article was mistaken, but the wording makes it sound like it is an Xbox Live change, not just the on demand service; they're just rolling out at the same time.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @TheKidNixon said:
    @Diamond said:
    " I think using real money is only for Games on Demand... "
    From the source's source:

"Meeting with Microsoft's Scott Austin to talk about Xbox Live, there was little expectation of sexy reveals or big news, and what we saw during the briefing wasn't flashy in any way. But there was still some really good news for Xbox 360 owners: Microsoft is getting set to update Xbox Live in a number of ways to make it easier to find and buy content. The big news is that games will be priced in your local currency, and you'll be able to buy with a credit card, bypassing the point system altogether. That's not all.

"We're going to have 30 or more games launching in August, worldwide, in all markets. We'll also be adding new content in all of our markets weekly," Austin explained. This is the Games on Demand service that was announced after the Microsoft press conference: you'll now be able to buy full-sized, big-name titles directly from Xbox Live and download them to your console."

Maybe the person writing that article was mistaken,b ut the wording makes it sound like it an Xbox Live change, not jsut the on demand service; they're just rolling out at the same time."

It just seems like something the person misinterpreted.  I haven't seen any quotes from anyone at MS saying this, and I haven't seen 'real money' for anything but Games on Demand from any other game news source.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.