Does MS have a restriction on how many points you can buy now?

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

So I was going to prepare myself for the summer of arcade by juicing up with 8000 points tonight or well $100 anyways.... I added my new debit card purchased 4000 points then went to go purchase another pool of 4000 points second time I clicked the buy button it told me it couldn't charge my card when I had JUST bought another $50 with the card right. And yes... before anyone says anything I have more than enough to cover the cost. I've just never had this problem before. My only thought was that it was to protect people who have their accounts hacked from getting insane charges racked up.

#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -
#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

@Redbullet685: Yeah, ended up buying the second lot of points through amazon. Should have just done that to begin with. =\

#4 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I'll have to apologize; I let myself be a victim of a hacker who helped himself to $100 of Microsoft Points spending them on nothing but Premium Themes. My account being hacked was probably among those that caused them to cause these restriction buying them directly back-to-back.

I did get my $100 back, though! (Never use my credit card for my XBL stuff anymore, nevertheless.)

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@Demoskinos: I'll have to apologize; I let myself be a victim of a hacker who helped himself to $100 of Microsoft Points spending them on nothing but Premium Themes. My account being hacked was probably among those that caused them to cause these restriction buying them directly back-to-back.

I did get my $100 back, though! (Never use my credit card for my XBL stuff anymore, nevertheless.)

I know that it must suck to have your account hacked (good thing you got your money back!),. but I do find it kinda funny that he spent $100 on Premium Themes.

#6 Posted by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

@Redbullet685: Hackers know that they can't actually do anything with it that will benefit them which is why they resort to literally just wanting to make you squirm. I doubt the hacker had any care that he lost a $100, just thought it was a "funny" prank.

#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

I know that it must suck to have your account hacked (good thing you got your money back!),. but I do find it kinda funny that he spent $100 on Premium Themes.

Yeah I definitely had a good facepalm looking over my marketplace purchase history when it happened, but it is definitely hilarious in hindsight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.