Goodbye, Games for Windows Live? Xbox Live Inside Windows 8

• 109 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4004 posts) -
A "real" desktop exists in Windows 8, but this is what the new, stylized interface looks like.

Have we just witnessed the death of Games for Windows Live?

Microsoft announced today that its next operating system, Windows 8, would come integrated with Xbox Live right out of the box.

"Bringing Xbox Live to Windows 8 is part of our vision to bring you all the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy," said Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb on his blog.

Tested's Will Smith has been attending the Windows 8 unveiling festivities and reporting live, so if you're looking for the nitty gritty details about what to expect, make sure to check out his writeups.

One of the major initiatives behind this operating system is synchronization across multiple platforms. Even though Xbox doesn't mean "PC gaming," what sense does it make for Microsoft to brand two gaming services that do basically the same thing? Especially when one has been far more successful than the other--people know what to expect from Xbox Live.

Perhaps the prominence of Xbox Live on Windows 8 will encourage more developers to integrate native Xbox Live support, as more and more companies move towards Steamworks.

I can't yet confirm this news means Games for Windows Live is over, but I've asked Microsoft.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4004 posts) -
A "real" desktop exists in Windows 8, but this is what the new, stylized interface looks like.

Have we just witnessed the death of Games for Windows Live?

Microsoft announced today that its next operating system, Windows 8, would come integrated with Xbox Live right out of the box.

"Bringing Xbox Live to Windows 8 is part of our vision to bring you all the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy," said Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb on his blog.

Tested's Will Smith has been attending the Windows 8 unveiling festivities and reporting live, so if you're looking for the nitty gritty details about what to expect, make sure to check out his writeups.

One of the major initiatives behind this operating system is synchronization across multiple platforms. Even though Xbox doesn't mean "PC gaming," what sense does it make for Microsoft to brand two gaming services that do basically the same thing? Especially when one has been far more successful than the other--people know what to expect from Xbox Live.

Perhaps the prominence of Xbox Live on Windows 8 will encourage more developers to integrate native Xbox Live support, as more and more companies move towards Steamworks.

I can't yet confirm this news means Games for Windows Live is over, but I've asked Microsoft.

Staff
#2 Edited by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

I wonder what this means for things like Steam and OnLive?

#3 Posted by homer4hire247 (30 posts) -

Cool I guess...

#4 Posted by spartan1017 (222 posts) -

Or you know... Steam.

#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

The Will Smith? Tested.com's Will Smith? Holy shit.

#6 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Oh rebranding. It worked out so well for EA with Origin, right?

#7 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1592 posts) -

they can rebrand and rename all they want ... unless they start releasing xbox exclusive games on PC there is no PC gaming from microsoft ... and this better not be a payed service.

#8 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -

If it means I can play some of those good games that were XLive exclusives then okay, sure.

#9 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

So is Microsoft going to do the same thing they did last time they were getting serious about PC gaming? Can't wait for Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 to come to PC...

#10 Posted by InfinityBit (26 posts) -

Interesting move. I'd like to see what Microsoft plans to do with games in windows 8.

#11 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Hmm Sony is basically going to advertising the Xbox brand with every PC they sell.

#12 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Maybe they should integrate it with the Zune marketplace.

lol

#13 Posted by rargy (437 posts) -

Hryb not Hyrb.

#14 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

I wonder what this means for things like Steam and OnLive?

I don't think much. Maybe now games with GFWL implemented could have a multiplayer commmunity.

Heres to high hopes.

#15 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

I really hope they try and put a price to it again.

#16 Posted by Boopie (191 posts) -

it seems too soon for a new Windows especially one that looks so flamingly...fey

#17 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

Trainwreck incoming.
#18 Posted by ChrisInCali (146 posts) -

Windows 8 looks so God awful, and straight up ugly to me. It's like Zune for your PC.

#19 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

Lets see if they crash and burn with their PC gaming initiative yet again.

Long as this doesn't affect Steam I don't mind.

#20 Posted by Mumrik (1077 posts) -

Fuck off Microsoft.

All we want from you is that you release your games on the PC too. You know, the platform that you sell a ton of OS licenses on. You can keep your many half-assed versions of Live for yourself.

#21 Posted by RobertOrri (1121 posts) -

I don't think I'll really miss GFWL. Worst Microsoft service/product ever.

Yes, including MS Bob.

#22 Posted by MeatSim (10821 posts) -

I still never used Games For Windows Live.

#23 Posted by Huey2k2 (488 posts) -

I really hope this isn't the start of Microsoft's plan to just phase out traditional desktops all together.

I understand why tablets and phones need large easy to use interfaces, but I am definitely not interested in using a tablet interface on my desktop. I am fully aware that they plan on leaving in a traditional desktop for Windows 8, but so far the only stuff they have shown from it has been this stupid "metro" thing they are going for.

That said having Xbox Live integration into Windows is pretty pro.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

#25 Posted by pluckylump (4 posts) -

I hope this doesn't mean I'll be kicked off my computer every time I connect to xbox live with my xbox.

#26 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Just grimacing right now.

#27 Edited by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

We need a new operating system to replace Windows as the primary PC gaming platform.

It's too bad most developers won't touch Linux. I don't blame them either.

#28 Posted by _Nuno_ (183 posts) -

I wonder if this will require a subscription like on the XBOX or if it will be free...

#29 Posted by Corvak (983 posts) -

Unless it means Xbox 360 games will run in windows, it's same as it's always been. GFWL well...it already IS Xbox Live. Same account names, same achievement lists, same crappy fake currency.

I won't really consider buying any PC games from Microsoft until they let me pay directly with a credit card, instead of being ripped off on their silly point system - as a canadian, it costs me more (in USD) per point than it costs someone in the US.

#30 Posted by Ragemachine (40 posts) -

My visceral reaction to this is abject horror, while the merging of the two services makes sense since Games for Windows Live never amounted to anything, I don't enjoy the prospect of having my computer look like a windows phone. I don't even want my phone to look like a windows phone; I've always been on the iPhone side of that competition. In terms of being able to control multiple windows on screen and performance this seems like a step back, I'd expect an option from day 1 so I can disable all that clutter from ever starting up, I don't want to have to load what I perceive as a performance-eating eyesore from start-up every time just to go back to my normal desktop and controls. Personally, less is more, especially in the PC world; give me a customizable work and game-space with as little restrictions and extra "features" I'm forced into (and forced to load).

#31 Posted by ThePilgrums (426 posts) -

I hope it's better than Games For Windows Live. That interface is clumsy and terrible. If XBL for PC is less shitty, then good. I like Windows 7 quite a bit...

Oops, I mean RAUGH WINDOWS SUCKS FUCK MI¢RO$OFT I WISH I WERE DEAD!!

#32 Posted by 617_jbug (343 posts) -

Screenshot from Xbox Live on Windows 8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/6145555558/in/photostream/

Also there is a rumor that Microsoft is not taking any cuts from apps (games will also be sold there) being sold in the store (it's usually 30%).

#33 Posted by EastboundSpider (94 posts) -

Good Riddance.

#34 Posted by Gerbik (8 posts) -

Oh god no. GFWL has always been terrible, like installing cancer on your PC. Last thing I want is having that shit integrated into the Windows OS. Looks terrible, sounds terrible, is probably terrible.

#35 Posted by wafflez (524 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

The Will Smith? Tested.com's Will Smith? Holy shit.

Giant Bomb is getting HUGE!

#36 Posted by leejunfan83 (956 posts) -

good stuff

#37 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

I like achievement points. I like PC games. So sure, why not?

#38 Posted by GreggD (4486 posts) -

@Boopie said:

it seems too soon for a new Windows especially one that looks so flamingly...fey

And they say gaming is a boy's club. :|

#39 Posted by kollay (1928 posts) -

My reason for liking this sounds amazingly dumb, but I've always disliked reading or even hearing "Games For Windows Live". Just wanted to ditch that whole thing all together.

#40 Edited by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

So many people down on MS, yet they don't even know anything about how it is going to be implemented. Oh internet, i'll reserve my feedback for when I actually have some.

#41 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@ashkanhoss29 said:

We need a new operating system to replace Windows as the primary PC gaming platform.

It's too bad most developers won't touch Linux. I don't blame them either.

Would Linux be a good OS for something like that?

#42 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (313 posts) -

I'm a pretty avid fan of Windows. Always have been, even through it's problematic phases like ME. But the one area I never got on board with ol Microsoft was the GFWL model. It's just not a viable service in the face of something like Steam. Were it not required for a few of the games I enjoy, I'd remove it from my PC forever and never look back. If they're truly getting rid of it in favor of a closer analog to XBL, then I'm on glad to see the old GFWL gone.

#43 Posted by Puck (50 posts) -

Stick with the best brand, and XBOX Live makes more sense than anything else.

@Huey2k2: I really hope this isn't the start of Microsoft's plan to just phase out traditional desktops all together.

Do you think they are crazy? The Metro interface is for tablets, but Windows (for the PC) will still be Windows (for the PC) - just updated. There is no way in heck that they'd give up on Windows (for the PC), because that's what corporations buy and that's a market that makes them billions.

Convergence of the OS.....PC, Tablet, Phone....is a very good thing.

#44 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

@Boopie said:

Not at all dude, Windows has a 3 year life span, and W8 is still pre beta, so we're talking next November most likely.

#45 Posted by 617_jbug (343 posts) -

@wickedsc3: It looks like the new Xbox Dashboard coming out later this year but they haven't put any info out there.

#46 Edited by Moonshadow101 (560 posts) -

I wish there was a level of XBLfW/GFWL/WTFBBQ integration that was really light and easy. Like, it hooks into your friend's list and adds achievements, but doesn't do anything else. No obligation to use their servers or content systems. It would have to be restricted to credible games, obviously, but I think they'd really benefit from something so simple that a game maker would be stupid to not use it.

Of course, they'd also have to get rid of that nonsense where logging into the service is something that is done in the context of the game. That's just stupid.

#47 Posted by Slaegar (698 posts) -

This means I can now pay a monthly fee for the service I use to buy games! Woo!.

On the bright side it might pop up notifications that my friends are on even if we aren't on the same platform.

#48 Posted by nmarchan (173 posts) -

Go away, Microsoft. We don't want or need your Live BS on PC. Take a hike.

#49 Posted by ZmillA (2268 posts) -

"I can't yet confirm WHAT this news means.."

#50 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Does this mean I can play Shadow Complex on a PC? Please?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.