Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

'Microsoft deleting [old] Xbox gamertags from Live'

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

So it would seem that Microsoft has begun the process of deleting GamerTags that haven't been used since the original Xbox Live days, or so this unfortunately source-less article suggests (hence the quotation marks). If this is true, then it would mean a race toward getting the awesome GamerTags everyone's always wanted but couldn't get because someone else claimed them during the old Live days. Also, hopefully it'll mean that Microsoft will begin implementing new features that couldn't be made before because old Tags still existed.

Anyway, if you're looking to claim or change into the Tag of your dreams, here's how I usually check to see whether or not one is already in use (without having to go through the account creation process). You go to live.xbox.com/GAMERTAGHERE.card and put in the Tag you want to check where it so blatantly says GAMERTAGHERE. Now, since the unfortunate redesign of the GamerCards it has become it little less obvious to see if a Tag has already been created or not, but it still shouldn't be a problem.

If a Tag has never been created yet (or changed into something else and thus is not in use either), the name should be in silver, the logo should be the original Xbox logo and the Gamerscore should say --. Before the inexplicable and shameful redesign of the cards, non-existing Tags would just have a silver question mark for a logo, but that's now been changed to this.

I can't believe no one took this. Consider it mine!
     I can't believe no one took this. Consider it mine!
    Now, if it has been created but not been used since the original Xbox Live days (never been activated on a 360), the logo should be the same but the name should be golden and the Gamerscore should say 0. Why is this relevant? Well, if the above news is accurate, these are the Tags you should be keeping an eye on, because these are the ones that should become available shortly.
     You need not envy this man much longer, for soon this powerful name could be yours.
     You need not envy this man much longer, for soon this powerful name could be yours.
    Lastly, keep in mind that while this method is not case sensitive, it won't recognize whether or not spaces have been used. To give an example, if you were to check 'timemuffin', it would show up as if it didn't exist yet, however 'Time Muffin' does.
     YES!
     YES!

... shit.
     ... shit.
    Alternately, you could login to Xbox.com and input the GamerTag after the following URL to see if it's in use or not: http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=

So there you have it. Again, IF this is true, do you think we'll soon be seeing an influx of amazing, original and properly spelled GamerTags as opposed to all the XxX420jOiNtOpSbRoXxX's?

I do. No, really.

Okay not really.
    Stupot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Stupot

Just checked if "Sniper" was one of the old accounts that isn't being used, it is! REJOICE!! We can finally get the most "xxiTzLeG1tzxx" tag on xbox! But in all seriousness, as long as this is true then i could see myself upgrading my gamertag...possibly.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Kyreo

I'm glad they'll be pruning the bushes.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Timing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.