Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Microsoft Raising Xbox Live Subscription Cost

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By PhilESkyline

XBL made 1 billion dollars last year. They have the money.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#202  Edited By Scotto
    @EveretteScott said:
    " @Venatio said:

" Fuck You Microsoft  That's all "

Because you know, increasing the charge doesn't mean they'll add anything new, and we all know bandwidth is free, right, wink wink nudge nudge "
    What kind of an argument is this?  Bandwidth isn't free? 

FIrst of all, Microsoft charge companies for bandwidth consumed be people downloading their demos and games from the XBL service.  Microsoft don't pay for that.   And online play doesn't use MS bandwidth either.

Secondly, such things are provided as a FREE "service" on PC's and PS3's, once you've paid for your internet connection. 

Thirdly, major bandwidth users like Netflix already have an additional subscription cost over and above your XBL Gold cost. 

Microsoft have added nothing that justifies a $10 price increase, and most of the worthwhile things they have added comes with an additional subscription fee anyway (Last.fm & Netflix, for example). 

The reality is that if MS didn't hold your ability to play games online hostage by forcing people to buy XBL Gold, most people wouldn't buy this shit at all. 

- Scott
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By natetodamax
    @Jeffsekai: Why are we supposed to be happy with the price increase just because we're paying the same amount that people in Canada are? That makes no sense at all. A price increase always sucks, people shouldn't just be happy with it because their paying the same as another country. 

And if you don't like the articles on Giant Bomb, leave. You're part of the reason why Giant Bomb has the worst reputation among all of the Whiskey Media sites. Your mindless hatred towards people is ridiculous.
    HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#204  Edited By HawkSE

I'm officially done with Xbox Live as a Gold member. This isn't the catalyst, a mere $10 more per year. But rather the straw that broke the camel's back. There aren't any new or exciting features for Gold members (that i use). I don't have the time for multiplayer games, so really I'm just going to benefit myself with this.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#205  Edited By C0V3RT

The real rub for me isn't necessarily the price hike but the way it's being pitched.

Major Nelson tried to spin it as the price has been $50 since Live rolled out.  Since it's inception, so many new features have been added.  While this is true - most of these features are garbage.

You could take away twitter, facebook, and last.fm I don't think anyone ever uses them.  Unskin Zune Marketplace and move it back to Video Marketplace.  Avatars were added but we're paying money to support out avatars (should we choose).

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By PhilESkyline
    @Razoric said:

"  MS: "We are making billions in profit of XBL!" Xfans: "Woohoo! Grats!" MS: "Now give us $10 more."      "

I fixed that for you. lol.
    Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#207  Edited By Itwastuesday
    @Jeffsekai: Clearly Giant Bomb avoids mentioning Canada in their posts as it would cause a downward spiral in the readership.  I think it's equally likely you're a plant installed by the US government to post stupid things all the time for the purpose of giving Canadians a bad name.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By withateethuh

That's really not that bad. I'm pretty sure I can handle paying 10 extra dollars for another year or two of xbox live. If that small of a price increase is going to make you people broke, then I feel sorry for your financially situations. Is everyone here working in sweatshops?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well I don't have a xbox360 and if I do I will factor Xboxlive to the cost. I always wanted them to drop the price of it (maybe to half price) before I sign on to it, rather they didn't the opposite and raised the price. I will not support this and I guess they lost a potential customer in the future.

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Haze

I'm not even in a region affected by this and I'm outraged. They might as well send Ballmer around peoples houses to kick them in the balls then shake them upside down until coins fall out.

Bad form Microsoft.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#211  Edited By GreggD
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " I like how the Article forgets to mention the 12 months subscription stays the same. WAY TO GET DEM CLICKS GIANTBOMB. "
    They ARE increasing that price, in the US. This is an American website. Go figure.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Jeffsekai: Why are we supposed to be happy with the price increase just because we're paying the same amount that people in Canada are? That makes no sense at all. A price increase always sucks, people shouldn't just be happy with it because their paying the same as another country.  And if you don't like the articles on Giant Bomb, leave. You're part of the reason why Giant Bomb has the worst reputation among all of the Whiskey Media sites. Your mindless hatred towards people is ridiculous. "
    rofl. Giantbomb's Articles and community are the biggest joke ever, the only reason why I'm here is for the videos that are actually good.  

Again (Now this is key here little boy) of course a price increase is bad not saying it isn't, never did. But what I am saying is that the Article is retarded for not even mentioning that the prices are now the same for everyone and that the USA is no longer getting special treatment. I love how dense everyone on giantbomb is be it 6 pools, street fighter, or pricing so.fucking.cluseless.
    Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Scotto

I just fired off an email to Major Nelson, letting him know that all this has done is resolved me to not renew my Gold subscription, and in the future when a game comes out that I know I will want to play online, I will just buy the PS3 version. 

And since I'm not an online Halo player, this shouldn't be particularly difficult. 

- Scott

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#214  Edited By turbo_toaster

I already planned on not renewing this year because I didn't feel as though I was getting much of anything with Gold. With 1 vs. 100 gone too I'm certainly not going to bother.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By xyzygy

The funny thing is that people will still buy it. 

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#216  Edited By wwfundertaker

Thank god i don't play online, great job Microsoft.

FuzMel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By FuzMel

Fucking dammit! I'm defecting to PC and Microsoft drove me to do it!

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#218  Edited By Bones8677

*insert Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOO image*

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#219  Edited By Spiritof

The future flop of the Kinect is now cemented in history.

smithz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#221  Edited By smithz2

I just cancelled the automatic renewal for my XBL account. In the past few months the only online gaming I have done was on the PS3 anyway.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#222  Edited By Burns098356GX

I'm really sick of these companies raising the prices just because they can. The post made by Larry Hyrb says because they've added a ton of value to Xbox...its a ton of stuff YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR to use. My Live membership expires in December, I won't be re-newing. I've always thought that the Peer-to-Peer service was a fucking bogus thing to pay for, now this gives me another reason to not re-new it.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By GoodKn1ght

While yes i will pay for it, there is no justification for this, what was it like 750 million in subscription fees last year? They are just money hungry. 

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#224  Edited By landon

Man, whats with the Canadians being such jerks? More money is more money. You guys might be use to already paying this much, but don't tell me you wouldn't be angry if Microsoft says "Oh yeah, and those Canadians are going to pay an extra $10 too".

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By RE_Player1

All those people saying they're going to boycott... remember when you said that about Modern Warfare 2 lol. 

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#226  Edited By BawlZINmotion

As far as I'm concerned the gaming industry as I loved it is dead. Trying to suck every penny out of every gamer is just but one of my beefs. I'm all for paying my way, but everything just keeps going up, with little consideration going into why costs are spiraling out of control. For a moment one might fucking think about government and tax dollars, always going back to the troff to feed its unending need for money.  It's not simply about cost and revenue, it's about financial management. With corporations around the world get a failing grade if we're to believe they actually compete with each other. Of which I do not.

"  From a logistical standpoint, how do you up the price from your competition right after they some out with their paid online subscription?" 

Because it's a fucking cartel. It's the same reason Rogers Wireless (in Canada) said they were doing away with free unlimited incoming texts to compete with Bell and Telus that began charging for such service. Logically one would think such a feature would be a boon to ones enterprise. If you look at their cell phone plans, each provider has the exact same offerings, the exact same options and the exact same strings. They're just worded differently. It's a fucking joke, and so is this.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @C0V3RT said:
    " The real rub for me isn't necessarily the price hike but the way it's being pitched.  Major Nelson tried to spin it as the price has been $50 since Live rolled out.  Since it's inception, so many new features have been added.  While this is true - most of these features are garbage. You could take away twitter, facebook, and last.fm I don't think anyone ever uses them.  Unskin Zune Marketplace and move it back to Video Marketplace.  Avatars were added but we're paying money to support out avatars (should we choose). "
    Agreed. 

On another note - It sucks that their raising the prices, but it's $10. That just means you'll have to work an extra 1 and 20 minutes at your job in a year (if it's minimum wage). But it does leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth that they're trying to pitch it that I'm paying for the gift of Twitter and Facebook.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#228  Edited By natetodamax
    @Jeffsekai: It doesn't matter if everyone is paying the same price now. This is an American website, and the article is telling the American readers that they are going to be paying more money for a subscription. It doesn't matter what other countries are paying right now. Fairness in terms of pricing all across the world is irrelevant; prices for the subscriptions in the US are going up.
    Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#229  Edited By Sambambo
    Wow, you really are a bunch of whiny idiots. Something goes up by less than a $1 every month and you are talking about canceling your subscription? Pathetic.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By skunk
    @PhilESkyline said:

" XBL made 1 billion dollars last year. They have the money. "

Sure they have the money, but not all YOUR money...

And to everyone defending this price hike as:
    A)Get a job
    B)Who pays for retail subs 
    C)It's only X amount more

This is why Microsoft is raising the prices. Because they know they can get away with it. I'll never understand why some of you are OK with giving away your hard earned money instead of starting a shit storm and condemning microsoft for this BS money grab.
    skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By skinnyman
    @phoenixflames: I just canceled my auto-renewal as well, and the series of "Are you sure...?" pages that I was forced to click through just came across as completely tacky. Bought a PS3 about a week ago and am not regretting it at all. I am going to start buying the majority of my cross-platform games on PS3 now, which is disappointing since for the most part I like the xbox interface better, and the controllers fit my hands better.

I like the corporate-BS announcement as well, "Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members." The only thing I liked that they had in addition to online multiplayer was the 1 vs 100 game which was, surprise surprise, REMOVED. Are the additional costs we are covering here associated with removing content?
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#232  Edited By citizenkane

Meh, it sucks that I will pay more, but less than $1 per month more isn't that big of a deal for me.

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By riffingt0n

Oh noes, another 80 cents a month.

For my money, the outrage over so small an increase is probably worth my entertainment dollar alone.

Finally, the math on the per-month cost works out to an even 5 bucks a month.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Facebook, Twitter, Gameroom, Last FM, and whatever crap is on the dashboard now is fucking useless.  I seriously can not see how any of that would make MS any money.  Nobody uses them, and now they are continuing with this ESPN nonsense.   

Until last year, Xbox was the way to go.  It had better games, better online, and wasn't the price of a small car.  The games on PS3 have gotten better, It's online has improved drastically, and it's the price a video game console should be. 

I understand why MS charges for XBL.  MS makes money off of online gaming while Sony losses money because of it.  But seriously, stop wasting money on bullshit that none of your customers even hinted at wanting and then make them pay MORE for it.  If they want to turn XBL into some superfluous entertainment media hub, by all means, charge for that shit.  None of that has anything to do with fucking online gaming.  Make it free or stop with all of this useless crap.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#235  Edited By ProfessorEss

More than anything I'm just confused as to why they would decide to do this now.

With all the shit talk surrounding the price and missing features of Kinect, the grumblings surrounding the standardization of the 1200 price point for arcade titles, and the dwindling list of system-defining exclusives you'd think they might want to hold off until things cool down a bit before dumping more fuel on the fire.

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By drowsap

this is just bad businesses Micro$oft what are use thinking

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By valiantgoat
    @Jeffsekai: Dude you seem to be overreacting to the article, it's not sensationalizing it in anyway nor does it even form an opinion on the whole matter.....just facts. I'm with you on the topic of US costumers now paying the same as us Canadians, since we pay more for most things as it is.
    HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#238  Edited By HairyMike87

This is fine. With all the services that are being added like ESPN and with the stuff that has been added in the past, it was bound to happen. To me, it is still the best network to play on a console. I'll just have to stack up on a few years at $40 and worry about the extra $10 later.  

I just hope that certain games don't start charging subscriptions because that would really blow.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Bluethunder35

I've been making the rounds after hearing this news and the results are about 75-25 against MS. 

I can't understand why people think XBL is so great. Is it because paying for something guarantees XBL being "truly righteous" over the free PC, PSN and Wii services, which does the job in a no-frills manner? Is it because they don't want the teenage boys they game with to ostracize them? I don't get it. 

What has MS ever given their clan? Horrible XNA stuff like Yaris? Discounts? Free copies of games nobody would want? 

I told people that as long as you give your money blindly to MS, they can do whatever they want. I didn't think they would ever pull a stunt like this but it doesn't surprise me. 

In the end, it won't matter. MS gamers won't abandon XBL and the 360. The world revolves around their 360 and they aren't going to give up that lifestyle. $10 is nothing. 

As a Canadian, I'm not going to pay $60 for a stripped down service. Either give me the same stuff as the Americans or "fuck you".  

Again, if any Canucks are reading this: only the monthly subscription is going up and real XBL users wouldn't be paying $10 a month, they would be paying for 3-month or 1-year subs.

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#240  Edited By nywt

I really hope that come November 1st, none of the complainers will be on Xbox Live. Welcome to capitalism. Simply vote with your wallets and stop complaining.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#241  Edited By megalowho

I'm not outraged, but I don't play Halo, I don't play COD.. maybe I don't need Xbox Live Gold Membership? This is at least getting me to think about whether the service is worth paying for or not. So far I'm not coming up with much. 

EDIT: Maybe a NXE that's not inundated with ads and a complete mess to navigate, that I'd pay for. But not holding out much hope for that anytime soon.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By xyzygy
    @SuperSambo said:

" Wow, you really are a bunch of whiny idiots. Something goes up by less than a $1 every month and you are talking about canceling your subscription? Pathetic. "

Totally agree. The price raise is actually something like 80 cents per month. It's really not that big of a deal at all. 

But maybe this has to do with American money losing or gaining value? I dunno. Here in Canada we already pay those prices so I don't really know anything about it. Well, I mean for the 3M and the 12M. That chart doesn't say anything about raising those prices.
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By MajorToms
    @Scotto said:
    " @EveretteScott said:
    " @Venatio said:

" Fuck You Microsoft  That's all "

Because you know, increasing the charge doesn't mean they'll add anything new, and we all know bandwidth is free, right, wink wink nudge nudge "
    What kind of an argument is this?  Bandwidth isn't free?  FIrst of all, Microsoft charge companies for bandwidth consumed be people downloading their demos and games from the XBL service.  Microsoft don't pay for that.   And online play doesn't use MS bandwidth either. Secondly, such things are provided as a FREE "service" on PC's and PS3's, once you've paid for your internet connection.   Thirdly, major bandwidth users like Netflix already have an additional subscription cost over and above your XBL Gold cost.  Microsoft have added nothing that justifies a $10 price increase, and most of the worthwhile things they have added comes with an additional subscription fee anyway (Last.fm & Netflix, for example).  The reality is that if MS didn't hold your ability to play games online hostage by forcing people to buy XBL Gold, most people wouldn't buy this shit at all.  - Scott "
    QFT
    elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By elcalavera

It's ten dollars extra per year. Come on guys.

AmericanNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By AmericanNinja

hahahahahaha!

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By bulletstorm
    @Jeffsekai: So you're just Microsoft's whore. Oh, ten dollars. It's okay. Go ahead and take it Microsoft, and its just just us that are being screwed over, you are too.  

If you've been paying 60 dollars for Xbox Live all this time. Then you sir, are the dumbass.
    GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By GiveUpNed
    @Robiin said:
    " Now US will pay almost as much as Sweden always has done.  Aah, sweet justice. "
    How so? You have much better internet at a lower cost.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By xyzygy

Wow, some people are really getting retard strong in here. 

IT'S LIKE 80 CENTS A MONTH. 

Go look on the floor of your car for change and you might be able to find the extra money for a few months worth, christ.

Kyodra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Kyodra

Fortunately I've got the next two and a half years of XBox Live Gold booked, for free as well. At that point the next generation of consoles will probably be close to being announced, making this a non-issue for me. Besides, I rarely even play online anyway, so I wouldn't pay for the service even at the old price.

Reizarvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Reizarvg

Really doesn't bother me at all. I do it monthly, and an extra pound a month is an entirely inconsequential amount of money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.