Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

My Beef with XBL

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Otacon
    So, I now have Xbox LIVE for the second, no scratch that, the third time. Sort of. A couple of weeks back I bought a years subscription card to LIVE in order to upgrade my silver account I had been using since I bought my 360 back in December. I already had a LIVE account from the original Xbox yet recovering that required me to know the last four digits of a card number from yonks back, not going to happen. That was no big deal, wasn't as if I was losing a gamerscore or anything. So I type in the code to upgrade and get a message telling me I had to give some more information, all well and good until I reach the address section. The Xbox seemed adamant that I was a resident of the USA (Live in the UK), I changed my location on the console settings, still no joy. After calling up the Xbox support line twice I discovered the annoying truth. I'm a gmail user, so when I had to create a Windows LIVE account with that address I didn't access it on the browser to set up my information. This was apparently a big mistake, my account defaulted to US residence and locked my Xbox account to the US as well. Faced with a horrible choice of losing game saves and a gamerscore I had to make a decision, keep my fairly new account or just start over. Eventually I chose to create a new account as I figured having a US account would just cause some problems in the future. So, I am now on Xbox LIVE, not as HAL Discovery but Tsuik, same as my PSN ID, with a modest GS of 1135. A little annoyed but what are you going to do.
    A little gripe I have is why an account is locked to a certain country the same way age is locked, age of course is completely understandable, but country? Yeah there are distribution laws etc. but why not let someone change their country every year so people aren't going to be changing it constantly, it's not unheard of to move country. Right rant over.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Otacon
    So, I now have Xbox LIVE for the second, no scratch that, the third time. Sort of. A couple of weeks back I bought a years subscription card to LIVE in order to upgrade my silver account I had been using since I bought my 360 back in December. I already had a LIVE account from the original Xbox yet recovering that required me to know the last four digits of a card number from yonks back, not going to happen. That was no big deal, wasn't as if I was losing a gamerscore or anything. So I type in the code to upgrade and get a message telling me I had to give some more information, all well and good until I reach the address section. The Xbox seemed adamant that I was a resident of the USA (Live in the UK), I changed my location on the console settings, still no joy. After calling up the Xbox support line twice I discovered the annoying truth. I'm a gmail user, so when I had to create a Windows LIVE account with that address I didn't access it on the browser to set up my information. This was apparently a big mistake, my account defaulted to US residence and locked my Xbox account to the US as well. Faced with a horrible choice of losing game saves and a gamerscore I had to make a decision, keep my fairly new account or just start over. Eventually I chose to create a new account as I figured having a US account would just cause some problems in the future. So, I am now on Xbox LIVE, not as HAL Discovery but Tsuik, same as my PSN ID, with a modest GS of 1135. A little annoyed but what are you going to do.
    A little gripe I have is why an account is locked to a certain country the same way age is locked, age of course is completely understandable, but country? Yeah there are distribution laws etc. but why not let someone change their country every year so people aren't going to be changing it constantly, it's not unheard of to move country. Right rant over.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

That blows. I hate the age locking too though. It's stupid that when you're 17, you can't download demos that are rated 17+. It's a stupid, stupid system, and it's really annoying. The region locking thing is pretty stupid too, what's it matter where you are, you just want to buy the system and enjoy the games. Yeah, you're right, and what if you do move countries. Stupid system.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Godwind

It seems like no one will every be happy.  I say we kill the console developers and make our own console.  Consoles that were meant for us, the users.  Something we control and regulate.  And fuck the government.  We can use our new technologies to lure children in to serve us in an army.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

Never had a problem with age locking :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.