Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

My Rant for Xbox Live

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Vao
    First off Warning this might turn into a Rant on my part but I thought it might bring up an interesting conversation.

My Gold account is up at the end of this month and I'm split if I should resubscribe. I've been Gold since the original xbox with Halo 2. Some might considered me a Fanboi of the Xbox, and I've loved the console because that's where my friends have been. But friends move on and the choices MS have made over the last year I'm questioning my loyalties.

Let’s start with the newest dashboard experience. If I’m paying 50-60 dollars a year for a “premium” experience why do they feel the need to fill every screen of the dash with ads, ads that I don’t care for or seem stupid, ( I keep getting ads for ME2 wtf) Add in the fact that the dashboard loading time is terrible, Quick Load doesn’t work half the time, the in game menu is just as slow, Cloud Storage is useless and broken at least for me. The arcade games feel like an afterthought to the music, movie, Axe Body spray ads, or the one that really annoys me is, why don’t you upgrade to a new slim xbox? Netflix app or any of the “Kinect” Friendly app interface is terrible if I just want to use a controller. Searching is terrible, The subtle nudge at raising the price of arcade games
    What is on the horizon for Xbox? Another year for an outdated console as most of the 3rd party Developers treading water for the next wave of consoles, or how we finally get Internet Explorer for Xbox because everyone wanted that. Or the integration of xbox and windows 8 so all my toys can talk to each other for no reason.

Guess I’ll be putting money on the table for a new PC and move out of the stone age
    Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vao
    First off Warning this might turn into a Rant on my part but I thought it might bring up an interesting conversation.

My Gold account is up at the end of this month and I'm split if I should resubscribe. I've been Gold since the original xbox with Halo 2. Some might considered me a Fanboi of the Xbox, and I've loved the console because that's where my friends have been. But friends move on and the choices MS have made over the last year I'm questioning my loyalties.

Let’s start with the newest dashboard experience. If I’m paying 50-60 dollars a year for a “premium” experience why do they feel the need to fill every screen of the dash with ads, ads that I don’t care for or seem stupid, ( I keep getting ads for ME2 wtf) Add in the fact that the dashboard loading time is terrible, Quick Load doesn’t work half the time, the in game menu is just as slow, Cloud Storage is useless and broken at least for me. The arcade games feel like an afterthought to the music, movie, Axe Body spray ads, or the one that really annoys me is, why don’t you upgrade to a new slim xbox? Netflix app or any of the “Kinect” Friendly app interface is terrible if I just want to use a controller. Searching is terrible, The subtle nudge at raising the price of arcade games
    What is on the horizon for Xbox? Another year for an outdated console as most of the 3rd party Developers treading water for the next wave of consoles, or how we finally get Internet Explorer for Xbox because everyone wanted that. Or the integration of xbox and windows 8 so all my toys can talk to each other for no reason.

Guess I’ll be putting money on the table for a new PC and move out of the stone age
    SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

I think that Xbox live should at least be cheaper. We already buying their games why can't they lower it a bit?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

Just move onto the PC its better there.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax
    @SexyToad
    I think that Xbox live should at least be cheaper. We already buying their games why can't they lower it a bit?
    It's very unlikely they'd lower the price as long as subscription numbers remain high. From a business point of view, if they're making a profit there's no reason why they'd want to make less of a profit, even if it means making people happy (and most of those people renew their subscription each year, though reluctantly so in some cases).
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

I feel much the same way but for all consoles. Currently saving for a good gaming rig and can't wait to leave consoles behind.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

First off never pay $60. You can find all sorts of deals and renew for much cheaper. I renewed for $35 for a year. Secondly,personally I still feel it's worth it to me. I'll be playing DOA 5 a ton this fall along with Halo 4.

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marmalade

@scarace360 said:

I have recently done as this wise sage has suggested. On top of insanely cheap Steam sales, you can access multiplayer features for free! Free multiplayer and not getting a page full of car and deodorant ads was a little jarring at first, but I think I'm starting to manage just fine without them.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vao

I've never paid full price for the year sub :P

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By strainedeyes

Ads have never bothered me. I barely notice they are there. I guess I have fancy eyes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yeah it's starting to bug me too. Most of the ads are for stuff I don't even care about and it's impossible to find anything I do care about. It's ridiculous, I tried to buy Deadlight but couldn't find anything on the main dashboard and discovered that the game selling section has just gone to shit. I never thought I'd be happy about games having their own in menu stores to but their dlc because man will I be using that from now on. Why is everything slow as hell as well? It's been 5 years! 5 years and you have done the opposite of optimization, good job Microsoft, don't let my mostly PC purchases now get to you too much.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By williamhenry

With the amount of streaming boxes that can do everything the Xbox does, besides playing games, Microsoft is going to have to make some drastic changes to Live next generation to warrant the price tag. Sixty bucks a year to play online isn't going to cut it. They should make access to online gaming and all the media apps free to all users, and adopt the Playstation Plus model where theres actual incentives to sign up. If they keep Live the way it is, I'll seriously consider switching to either the Playstation or the PC. Live just isn't worth the price.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, my Gold expired this year, and I can't bring myself to renew it. Having to pay for something like that just feels sleazy now that I own a PS3 and a somewhat competent PC.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrockNRolla

I think Microsoft feels they have carte blanche to do whatever they please right now because they're the industry leader and have a whole lot of cache to burn if they so choose. Sony and Nintendo have besmirched their own names enough this generation that Xbox dashboard problems aren't going to be enough to turn most users off. BUT, I agree with your irritated sentiments wholeheartedly and am seeing Microsoft's current moves as serious indicators of a very wrong direction for a future console. I will be thinking very hard about whether to back Sony or Microsoft a year from now.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm always amazed at how numbers for live subscribers keep on going up year after year. The dashboard is a fucking embarassment and it gets worse and worse. I'm starting to think Microsoft is doing it on purpose so that the new Xbox looks light years ahead of the 360 because it will be missing these annoyances that can easily be changed today. I hope next generation people fucking wake up and realize they can have the same, or better experience in my opinion, on the Playstation for free and have the option to pay for Playstation Plus, a fantastic service, for some neat discounts, extras and games. Or better yet use that money you would subscribe to Gold and put it towards some PC upgrades.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By SlightConfuse

i am letting my sub expire and picked up a ps plus account with has paid for itself

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By triviaman09

I let my XBL Gold account lapse over three years ago, back when they still had the phone rep try to hassle you into staying. I have rarely regretted the decision.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Meh, I let my subscription go, but I still have a year's sub card if I wanna go back. Haven't used it yet.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LikeaSsur

I always feel that people who use ads as a con to the Xbox dashboard are really stretching to find something bad.

Yes, they're advertisements and yes, you're paying money, but nowhere does it say that you would get an ad free dashboard for having Gold. Also, this isn't Youtube where you're forced to watch the ad before the video even loads. The ads are in a medium to small square box, with a few words and a fancy picture by it. That's it.

And really, how long do you spend on your dashboard for advertisements to even matter? An average of 15 seconds every 3 days? Maybe longer if you decide to play game X instead of Y after you've turned the system on? Yet you go on to tell me and have me believe that "Gaah! My gaming time has been hindered by these pictures and words that want me to spend money! Curse you Microsoft!" is a valid, albeit exaggerated, thing that you could say?

I say this with all due respect: Regarding ads, get over it.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By scarace360

@jyluth said:

@scarace360 said:

I have recently done as this wise sage has suggested. On top of insanely cheap Steam sales, you can access multiplayer features for free! Free multiplayer and not getting a page full of car and deodorant ads was a little jarring at first, but I think I'm starting to manage just fine without them.

Fuck ya im a sage now! I need to grow a long beard now.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Etnos

@scarace360 said:

@jyluth said:

@scarace360 said:

Fuck ya im a sage now! I need to grow a long beard now.

I like consoles, but PC owns all.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By ShadowConqueror

At least Microsoft doesn't put those dashboard ads in the games, too.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IBurningStar

I gave the dashboard changes a couple of weeks to grow on me, but that never happened. I didn't like it when it was released and I don't like it now.  Everything about my experience with it rubbed me the wrong way. I don't like the layout, everything feels slow and clunky, and it is really cumbersome to casually brows through looking for things to buy. The price tag attached to Gold has always been a turn off, but I didn't have any other options so I paid it. I've pretty much completely moved on to my PS3 and PC now and I have never regretted it. 

I can't even think of the last time I turned my 360 on...

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vao

I doubt anyone likes paying the gold price tag but over the years I had always felt the content you get out of the deal made it easier to shallow, But as the overall quality of games seem to have dropped, (take this years summer of arcade) it's hard to justify the price. I never did buy a ps3 because the 1st party stuff didn't appeal, and not the biggest fan of the controllers. Just my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.