Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Xbox Live Beacons. So Close?

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By YoungFrey

It seems like all the good stuff MS has got hidden in an email sent out afterwards.  In addition to the Summer of Arcade list and cloud saves, they announced Beacons.  Essentially a way to flag certain games that you want to play at any time.    

This is really close to something I've wanted.  The problem is it sounds like it's friends only.  As everyone knows it's impossible to find a pick up game for unpopular games.  I really hope this system comes with a way to enable pick-up games with anyone.  There might be a million concurrent Black Ops matches at any moment, but there are zero of Greed Corp.  And none of my friends own it.  Arranging games with my friends isn't really hard.  Arranging them with strangers is. 

Beacons. We want to make it easy for you to connect with friends over your favorite games on Xbox LIVE, so we are introducing Beacons to the service. Beacons are a way to tell your Xbox LIVE and Facebook friends that you want to play a game on Xbox LIVE. By setting a Beacon, you tell Xbox LIVE what you want to play. Then, Xbox LIVE lets you know when friends are playing or want to play the same game. With Beacons, no matter what you're currently doing on Xbox LIVE your friends know that it's ok to ask you to play your Beaconed games. Imagine sending out a Beacon to let your friends know you're interested in playing "Halo," while watching a movie on Netflix. It's about making it easier for you to share and discover games and multiplayer opportunities with friends on Xbox LIVE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.