Xbox Live Going Down Right About Now-ish

• 138 results
Posted by Jeff (3424 posts) -
Hey, they sent out messages and wrote about it in a lot of different spots over the last few days, but in case you've missed the message, let me be the last to remind you that Xbox Live is going down for maintenance in about ten minutes. That's midnight, Pacific time. They're being pretty non-committal about the time period, just saying that it could be "up to 24 hours."

This is some kind of non-specific scheduled outage that isn't going to result in any new immediate functionality when they flip it back on. Also, it's worth noting that xbox.com will be out, too. This will more than likely prevent us from processing both new and existing Giant Bomb achievement profiles, so hang tight on that stuff and we'll resume our updates when their service returns.

In the meantime, might I recommend that Uncharted 2 beta that's running on your friendly neighborhood PlayStation 3? Or, you know, all that Wii Motion Plus stuff came out last week. Or I guess you could just play offline Xbox 360 games. It's not like the console just, like, won't work at all. But if you bought all your Xbox Live Arcade games and stuff on a console other than the console you own (so that you need to be logged into Live to use any of it), you might be assed out on that junk until service returns. I assume that'll be the case, anyway. Guess we'll find out in... ten minutes!

Hold me!
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3424 posts) -
Hey, they sent out messages and wrote about it in a lot of different spots over the last few days, but in case you've missed the message, let me be the last to remind you that Xbox Live is going down for maintenance in about ten minutes. That's midnight, Pacific time. They're being pretty non-committal about the time period, just saying that it could be "up to 24 hours."

This is some kind of non-specific scheduled outage that isn't going to result in any new immediate functionality when they flip it back on. Also, it's worth noting that xbox.com will be out, too. This will more than likely prevent us from processing both new and existing Giant Bomb achievement profiles, so hang tight on that stuff and we'll resume our updates when their service returns.

In the meantime, might I recommend that Uncharted 2 beta that's running on your friendly neighborhood PlayStation 3? Or, you know, all that Wii Motion Plus stuff came out last week. Or I guess you could just play offline Xbox 360 games. It's not like the console just, like, won't work at all. But if you bought all your Xbox Live Arcade games and stuff on a console other than the console you own (so that you need to be logged into Live to use any of it), you might be assed out on that junk until service returns. I assume that'll be the case, anyway. Guess we'll find out in... ten minutes!

Hold me!
Staff
#2 Posted by cdstacker (90 posts) -

only if you hold me

#3 Posted by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

Never fear, Steam is here!

#4 Posted by Regal (434 posts) -

This is world wide I assume? 

#5 Posted by MB (12037 posts) -
@Regal said:
" This is world wide I assume?  "
There's only one Xbox Live.
#6 Posted by Riicochet (94 posts) -

The apocalypse has begun

#7 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

Actually, the timeframe they gave out was 24+ hours.

#8 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -
"if you bought all your Xbox Live Arcade games and stuff on a console other than the console you own (so that you need to be logged into Live to use any of it), you might be assed out on that junk until service returns"

So that would be like the majority..Since most have their 1st hard drive onto a 2nd or 3rd console or more haha

As much as I love the 360..That's somewhat true unfortunately.
#9 Posted by CrazyCrazyDoctor (41 posts) -

Let's hope the world survives.

#10 Posted by Orbi (100 posts) -

Well, looks like I'm going to have to finish Crackdown off tonight instead of playing some Gears or Uno.

#11 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

bah! im afraid....

#12 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

Maybe now I'll stop procrastinating and actually finish Fallout 3.

#13 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -
@Orbi said:
" Well, looks like I'm going to have to finish Crackdown off tonight instead of playing some Gears or Uno. "
Well just as long as you play the campaign over xbox live co-op. That is the most fun ever!
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

Well what I'm I supposed to do all day Tuesday?  Maybe I'll finally play Penney Arcade Episode 1 finally.

#15 Posted by Ally264 (41 posts) -

Have you heard?

The bird is the word!

#16 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

Bah, humbug. I really don't care too much. I got other stuff to do besides be on xbox live anyways.

#17 Posted by Meptron (1073 posts) -

up to 24 hours? that sucks.

#18 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3701 posts) -
I just saw the Disconnection notice and said "What the Fuck?" thanks for clearing things up.
#19 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I was droppin foolz on Cod, and then it happened.

#20 Posted by MacGyver (280 posts) -

i just got kicked out of a online game of pure damit!!!!!!

#21 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -
@Reuben:
They let you transfer licenses to a new console now.  For real.  I'm on my third box and can still play all my games offline just fine.
#22 Posted by Ouroboros (344 posts) -

I have a psychological condition that prevents me from getting achievements offline because I require them to have a timestamp associated to them

#23 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -
@MacGyver said:
" i just got kicked out of a online game of pure damit!!!!!! "
They did warn you a week ahead lol
#24 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine said:
" @Reuben: They let you transfer licenses to a new console now.  For real.  I'm on my third box and can still play all my games offline just fine. "
What? FO realz?! =O

Awesome, Calling them tomorrow! Thanks!
#25 Posted by FixerofDeath (308 posts) -

and my day of boredom begins! Hurrah!

#26 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

Aww. I was just about to go play some CoD4, so that sucks. Maybe I'll fire up some TF2 on the PC.

#27 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -
#28 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

Thanks Luke and wow shows how much I know haha!

#29 Posted by fugie7 (1108 posts) -

oh well there's there's always my psp or i can fire up the ps3 for now.

#30 Posted by Daouzin (117 posts) -

Don't worry everyone just eat and make a lot of sandwiches, it isn't a big deal.

#31 Posted by makari (594 posts) -

Guess achievement hunting will have to wait... and here I was about to hunker down on finding all the landmarks and hints in Prototype... On second thoughts, thanks downtime, now I'll have to spend my time productively.

#32 Posted by Time_Lord (714 posts) -

back to infamous then

#33 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -
@Reuben said:
"
@Atomic_Tangerine said:
" @Reuben: They let you transfer licenses to a new console now.  For real.  I'm on my third box and can still play all my games offline just fine. "
What? FO realz?! =O Awesome, Calling them tomorrow! Thanks! "
It's something you do on their website...when Live is up.  So, if you haven't done it before now, you're out of luck.
#34 Posted by WHYWAKEUP (2 posts) -
@Daouzin said:
"Don't worry everyone just eat and make a lot of sandwiches, it isn't a big deal. "

That is a great idea . First off Peanut Butter and Banana and pretzels.
#35 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -

Huzzah! Whilst playing Prototype, I was logged out of Xbox Live...I guess I know why...

#36 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

Awww. I just realized that I can't download Big Surf Island until Live is back up tomorrow. I hope it doesn't take the full 24 hours that was given as the potential time period.

#37 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

No Halo 3 training for me...

#38 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

I knew about this for like 4 days ago but for some reason I forgot about it and I started cussing at my 360 when it happened. I'm sorry Xbox, it's not your fault. 

I can still play 360 games and get achievements can't I? They just won't show up until I sign into XBL again right?

#39 Posted by smokeH (281 posts) -

ahh I totally forgot about that, I thought my internet was acting up again...

#40 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

No XBOX Live for the next 24 hours?!

That means I'm going to have no choice but to play with myself!

Erm. Wait, I mean... uh...

#41 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

It's one day. I think you'll live.

#42 Edited by Jag40 (21 posts) -

A day without hearing racist comments, being tea-bagged and called a noob, sounds good to me.

#43 Posted by twm (31 posts) -

Skynet is down! Let's make a run for it!

-FREEDOM

#44 Posted by caseylakes (293 posts) -

Luckily I have coursework I should be doing. Can Giant Bomb go down for a few hours aswell? What is the update for?

#45 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -

DOH! Totally forgot about that...

And I wanted to go on a 24 hour marathon with my Aussie friends on Left 4 Dead. DAMMIT!
#46 Posted by Det1 (190 posts) -

inb4national crime rate rises due to x-bros looking for things to do.
...who am I kidding, those kids will just smoke weed the whole day.

#47 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -
@Jag40 said:
" A day without hearing racist comments, being tea-bagged and called a noob, sounds good to me. "
Yeah, thankfully you're on the internet where you're completely safe from it.
#48 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Lets hope it stays off longer than expected and they say "We apologize! Here's a free arcade game again!"

#49 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -

"But if you bought all your Xbox Live Arcade games and stuff on a console other than the console you own (so that you need to be logged into Live to use any of it), you might be assed out on that junk until service returns."

I'm in this boat, if what you mean by "console you own" is the console that got the RROD and now because of that I have a stupid restriction on all my games.

#50 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

Oh well i'll watch the rest of Endurance run, i'm only on part 20 I need to catch up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.