Xbox Live Totally Hosed (For Some)

• 90 results
Posted by Jeff (3478 posts) -
Networking!
Lay the blame wherever you feel it's needed, at the feet of Gears of War 2's popularity or the imminent release of the latest 360 dashboard upgrade, the good ol' New Xbox Experience. Either way, it sounds like it's been a hellacious weekend for Xbox Live, and there are still groups of users who are completely unable to log in.

Here's the current status message:

Users may experience difficulties connecting or logging into to Xbox LIVE. We are aware of the problem and working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.

For my part, I got dropped a few times on Friday night, but was able to immediately reconnect. Getting things like friends lists and messages has been slow-going, and NXE stuff like connecting to parties has been a bit spotty. But the only in-game manifestation I saw was that I got dropped from some Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe matches, which gave me four more losses than I should have. Suck!

Major "Larry Hryb" Nelson is posting a bit of a blow-by-blow account of the network's status that's a bit more informative than the boilerplate message on the official site.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3478 posts) -
Networking!
Lay the blame wherever you feel it's needed, at the feet of Gears of War 2's popularity or the imminent release of the latest 360 dashboard upgrade, the good ol' New Xbox Experience. Either way, it sounds like it's been a hellacious weekend for Xbox Live, and there are still groups of users who are completely unable to log in.

Here's the current status message:

Users may experience difficulties connecting or logging into to Xbox LIVE. We are aware of the problem and working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.

For my part, I got dropped a few times on Friday night, but was able to immediately reconnect. Getting things like friends lists and messages has been slow-going, and NXE stuff like connecting to parties has been a bit spotty. But the only in-game manifestation I saw was that I got dropped from some Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe matches, which gave me four more losses than I should have. Suck!

Major "Larry Hryb" Nelson is posting a bit of a blow-by-blow account of the network's status that's a bit more informative than the boilerplate message on the official site.
Staff
#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Doesn't this happen every holiday season?

They need to stop releasing so many online games at once.
#3 Posted by elliooo (293 posts) -

I havent been able to connect for the past two days, still cant :(

#4 Posted by Player1 (3857 posts) -

Damn. I hope this gets fixed by tomorrow, I want to play gears with my friend. 

#5 Posted by akumous (91 posts) -

I would have been upset if I were paying for XBox live....WAIT I AM...FUCK YOU MS

#6 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

You think they would have learned from last year...

#7 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I have not been affected yet, save for a few dropped Gears matches.  I feel bad for whoever has these problems...

#8 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

I'd love to see if this is a regional thing, because none of my friends living in the same area as me are having problems (myself included)--no disconnects, no hiccups, nothin'. This is the exact reverse of last year's snaffu for me, when I couldn't connect at all for a month.

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

We've still got three Xbox stations at work that won't connect at all.  =  /

#10 Posted by ShadowDoGG (134 posts) -

I kept being disconnected but luckily for me it was in times that most brits wud be in bed i.e. 2-4am

#11 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

I just co-oped for a long while with no problems, but last night I was getting disconnected like crazy. I would put the blame on the NXE.

#12 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I got dropped randomly once on both Saturday, and Friday. Like you, I was able to immediatly reconnect.

#13 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"We've still got three Xbox stations at work that won't connect at all.  =  /"
Where the fuck do YOU work!?!
#14 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

Mine works fine.  <:|

#15 Posted by ep_driver (442 posts) -

I haven't been able to connect for 2 days. I called the support line, talked to some Indian dude (dot, not feather), and he halfway spat out some bullshit that it had something to do with the nxe coming out in a few days. What's the problem really from? Is it just due to a grip of games coming out and users flooding the servers? If you know I'd appreciate a PM so I can figure out what the hell is going on, thanks.

#16 Posted by fresh2deafbill (805 posts) -

i've been logging in fine

#17 Edited by Unreal_dro (277 posts) -

Working Fine for me........and for the 29 people on my friendslist

#18 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -

mine's been ok. lagging and slow matchmaking in Gears 2 though.

#19 Posted by mussbus999 (321 posts) -

Yeah I'm having no problems...Maybe it's only for the NXE Betas?

#20 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

It's just server load, happens when anything is too popular. Look at it as a sign the 360 is doing very well. And no, paying for said service won't resolve these types of issues. Like any telecomunications system, XBL is only designed to handle a specific load and increasing said load can costs quite a lot. It's standard practice to throw a conservative estimate before foreseen traffic spikes, then beef up capacity as needed.

#21 Posted by krazedkaoz (71 posts) -

no issues connecting on my end.

#22 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
Where the fuck do YOU work!?!"
Mini-bio much?
#23 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
Mini-bio much?"
Laem.
#24 Posted by heavymtlhead (219 posts) -

I had a weird problem where I was trying to load my single player save in Gears 2 and it wouldnt load. I unplugged the 360 and it worked fine. Also, getting into a multiplayer game took about 5 minutes before the match even started.

#25 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

It did stop working for a bit Friday night but fortunately I was playing splitscreen Gears 2 co-op so it didn't really matter. Working fine now.

#26 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

Lets not hope of a repeat of what happened last year with Xbox Live.

#27 Posted by Will (234 posts) -

Didnt really play throughout this weekend, but that sucks. Reminds me of last december I think it was when they messed up big time after the downtime upgrades then offered everyone a free copy of Undertow :S. They should do that again if this shit keeps going. >:O

#28 Posted by Milkman (16618 posts) -

I have had no problems at all this weekend. Though it did seem like a few of my friends were having a bit of trouble.

#29 Posted by GodzillaVsJapan (104 posts) -

I havent had any issues only two disconnects but its been smooth since

#30 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

"Yeah I'm having no problems...Maybe it's only for the NXE Betas?"

I'm in the NXE beta, and I can connect and stay connected without any hitches, so that's not the problem.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
Mini-bio much?"
Laem."
Lame that three Xbox stations don't have Live?  Absolutely!!!
#32 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Ahhh brings back memories. Gotta love Ps3, i sure do now :D

#33 Posted by Vasta_Narada (441 posts) -

My Private Chat's been equivalent to listening to someone talk into a fan >_> I'm not sure if that's Live's fault, or me having the NXE's fault, as the in-game chat has been perfect.

#34 Posted by lantus (143 posts) -

Right before the NXE launch, this isn't the time Microsoft. :|

#35 Posted by JoblessTerence (349 posts) -

I dropped out once last week but reconnected within 1 minute. Sad thing is was that I was playing Gears of War 2 and I was on Wave 37 in Horde.

#36 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I haven't been able to sign in for days now while most of the people I know can get on fine. This is annoying, but karma's a bitch, right? I had it coming.

#37 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

same as last year , does not surprise me a bit  .

#38 Posted by trav3ler (168 posts) -

I could connect, but couldnt find a game for about 3 hours saturday night.  Other than that, I just got repeatedly dropped from Horde matches, but everything else ran smoothly.

#39 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -

Doesn't matter for me since my 360 is in the repair shop. I can log into GFW Live fine though.

#40 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

Haven't been able to sign in since friday night. Sucks since I want to play some TF2 pretty badly.

#41 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

I can sign in a play online just fine.

#42 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

i've got the beta, and have had no problems

#43 Posted by YoungBuck (207 posts) -

Free arcade game for everyone

#44 Posted by megaplushie (203 posts) -

I was kicked off maybe once or twice last night, but it's been smooth sailing otherwise. I haven't been doing anything but watching Netflix with the NXE, though... which works good unless my connection decides to crap out. :)

#45 Posted by Hamst3r (4479 posts) -

Ha ha ha.

#46 Posted by bjorno (1412 posts) -

I was having this problem until I disabled UPnP.

#47 Posted by The_Icon (573 posts) -

I am sure they will sort this out soon.

#48 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

I haven't had any major issues, but I have been booted off xbox live once or twice now recently for no reason, although I managed to get straight back on with no hassle.

#49 Posted by Fakenham (9 posts) -

I kept getting dropped out of Mirror's Edge time trials, because you need to stay connected or it's right back to the main menu. That kinda pissed me off.

#50 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I've been disconnected twice and was imeadiatly able to reconnect and have had no real problems other then that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.