After launch, what's next for xbox one?

#1 Posted by MisterBigMack (23 posts) -

I have had a 360 for a while and was going to be selling it very soon, to raise funds towards me Xbox one pre order, now I don't know what to do really!

What games are coming out in the next year which is going to make me happy that I chose a xbox one over a ps4?

I have been trying to find out from all sources if the sky player, bbc iplayer etc apps (live in the uk) will be available on the xbox one, because I use this lots and lots of the time (esp the sky player) this is a vital thing for if I buy the console or not...

And also, I have missed quantic dreams last couple of games which I have been very interested in but because I didn't have an ps3 I missed them...

If I want to play there future games is the ps4 the best bet?

Really am struggling here, as a couple of games at the xbox one launch I am interested in

#2 Posted by Nefarious_Al (129 posts) -

I'd hold on to that 360 a save up another month or two to get the Xbone.

#3 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

I hear they're making video games for it. Maybe.

#4 Edited by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -
  • FANTASIA MUSIC EVOLVED
  • New Halo Game in 2014
  • Fable Legends
  • Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare
  • Quantum Break
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Black Tusk Game
  • TitanFall
  • D4
#5 Posted by Humanity (8840 posts) -

@yadilie said:

I hear they're making video games for it. Maybe.

Please don't spread unsupported rumors on the forums. If you have valid sources for your wild claims that games might be in development for the new Xbox One console then cite them, otherwise move along.

#6 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

HOLY GOD FIX EVERYTHING WERE SO SORRY

#7 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

• New Halo Game in 2014

It will be shit. You heard it here first!

Kudos OP for thinking past launch, a lot of people are saying X1's major selling point is the amount of games at launch, especially now that PS4's Driveclub and WatchDogs got delayed. People should think back to this gen, X360 completely dominated at first (in my opinion) but the last quarter of this gen was complete shit compared to PS3, unless you enjoyed CoDified Halo or Beefsticks Of War.

For your apps, I think safest bet is to wait till launch to find out. My personal guess is...No, they won't. While UK is 2nd biggest target for MS, I doubt they're in rush to bring in apps and such for it in UK, yet alone my "Tier 2" country.

Also, if TitanFall is main reason you're considering X1. Don't sell your 360, just buy TitanFall for it.

#8 Edited by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -

@verendus: thank you Nostradamus, now i know its shit.

#9 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: No problem. ;D

But honestly, what can you expect? They've been dumbing it down and handicapping it for every Halo game after Halo 3 to the point where the game has lost it's original identity and everything that made the original trilogy so good.

It's no secret that majority of "Hardcore" gamers will be hopping to PS4 and with MS marketing the console to families and casual players, you think Halo's multiplayer won't follow the trend?

#10 Edited by Franstone (1095 posts) -

@verendus said:

It's no secret that majority of "Hardcore" gamers will be hopping to PS4 and with MS marketing the console to families and casual players, you think Halo's multiplayer won't follow the trend?

That's absolutely ridiculous...
News flash, video games and consoles aren't just for the stereotypical "gamer" anymore.
Millions upon millions of people play games now, people that have other interests an hobbies.
TV, Movies, Streaming, Social Networking and yes, Sports.
I happen to like sports, watch a little TV here and there, stream Netflix and use Skype when on my PC.
Just because MS is adding more features/value to their console doesn't mean it's only targeted towards the casual crowd and families.
It's going to be just as focused on games as the 360 was and as much as the PS4 will be.

#11 Posted by MisterBigMack (23 posts) -

Thing is tho, nothing for 360 is interesting me from now through to next year, hence why I was selling my 360 and getting the Xbox one, my only concern was there didn't seem to be much apart from titanfall for next year

But i know ps3 had a lot of great exclusives like I said from quantic dream, and unless they start making multi platform titles in the next gen, I will only be about to play these on a ps4 ...

#12 Posted by drainbamage (21 posts) -

@verendus: 360 Titanfall isn't being developed by Respawn and they've refused to give out the name of the developer who is doing it, no video or even a screenshot of it has been put out... PC Titanfall will probably be just as good as the X1, but I don't think I'd recommend the 360 version to anyone until it's at least seen the light of day lol

#13 Posted by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -

@misterbigmack: get a PS3, sounds like you missed out on a flurry of great game. Both consoles don't really have anything where you are like FUUUUUC i need to play this.

#14 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

6 months after launch: Introducing the official X1 expansion pack! Now you can play DK64!

#15 Edited by GW305 (19 posts) -

@verendus said:

But honestly, what can you expect? They've been dumbing it down and handicapping it for every Halo game after Halo 3 to the point where the game has lost it's original identity and everything that made the original trilogy so good.

But Halo 3 and 2 were shit where as Reach and 4 were amazing. What are you smoking?

#16 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

@franstone

:

Thank you for stating the obvious. I never said there won't be games with more balanced and less "Everybody must win" mentality games for X1. I just said Halo 5 won't be one of them. It's clear that 343i didn't care for what made Halo's multiplayer so popular to begin with, they went with the "CoD" recipe trying to mix best of the both worlds, ending up with a game that made fans of original trilogy move to another game and CoD players going back to CoD when BO2 came out.

The core gameplay choices they made, made it pretty clear that they'll try to "introduce a new crowd" to the series and I don't see them making major U-turn on that department with Halo 5. The game will most likely offer a fantastic story, but I wouldn't hold my breath for same kind of multiplayer experience Halo 2 or 3 offered.

And I sort of disagree with your statement there. "Just because MS is adding more features/value to their console doesn't mean it's only targeted towards the casual crowd and families." It's pretty clear by now where MS's priorities lay. It's good for you if you use a lot of social media, watch sports and such. I personally watch NHL from my X360 as well. But PS4 will likely offer majority of the same features as well, just like this gen. It's just other console focuses on other content, another one still has games as it's priority. I'd put it like this:

X1 Entertainment and games, PS4 Games and entertainment.

And "It's going to be just as focused on games as the 360 was and as much as the PS4 will be." Are you happy with the exclusive games X1 delivered on it's last quarter of this gen? Compared to PS3, for example?

@drainbamage: Very good point. I'll take my comment back on X360 version until further info is released.

@gw305: I'm smoking balanced multiplayer where better man wins, lesser one respawns.

#17 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

Uh, games?

#18 Edited by GW305 (19 posts) -

@verendus: Eww who plays Halo games for the multiplayer nowadays. This ain't 2001. But if you want to talk Halo's multiplayer I should mention that Halo 3's was the worst of the series balance be damned.

#19 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

@gw305: Can you honestly tell me why Halo Reach's multiplayer was more balanced than Halo 3's. (We're derailing this thread, but who cares)

And who plays Halo games for multiplayer nowadays? Nobody does, because they're shit.

#20 Edited by GW305 (19 posts) -

@verendus: I could care less about balance when the experience is absolute shit like it was on Halo 3. Also there was nothing wrong with the balance in Halo Reach anyway. Gottem. Argument won I am the victor I'd like to congratulate you on your wonderful attempt, Verendus. I will now be leaving this thread =).

#21 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

@gw305: Your statements won't have any weight on them if you can't even explain or elaborate why you think so. I think you should stick to arguing with people on youtube or similar, since your posts really show that's where your arguments belong to.

#22 Posted by Franstone (1095 posts) -

@verendus:
First of all, I never said I like social media, lets get that straight, hahah.

Guess what, games are entertainment.
If you owned a company that was creating a game cosole would you rather...
A) Only sell it to "hardcore" gamers?
or
B) Have the opportunity to have one in every household?

You said yourself, Sony is going to have many of the features that MS will.
So what is the problem here?

All because Sony came on stage and said GAMES GAMES GAMES!
And because MS went on stage and talked about Sports, TV, Social Media, Xbox Live, Cloud Services, aaaaaand Games.
Also, most of the games that come to ANY system (besides Nintendo) are 3rd party games.
All the SAME publishers, all the SAME development houses (and new ones) will be making ALLLLLLLLLL the games like have been for decades.
It's not like the development community stuck their nose in the air and decided NO I'm not making games for MS because they didn't say GAMES GAMES GAMES at their reveal.
Why is this?
Because they are intelligent level headed thinking people and probably want to sell as many copies of their product as they can.

#23 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1042 posts) -

@franstone said:

@verendus said:

It's going to be just as focused on games as the 360 was

So 1st party support will dry up in the second half of its lifespan, only to be bombarded with casual franchises like HaloGearsForza? Good to know.

#24 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1042 posts) -

@franstone said:

@verendus:

Why is this?

Because they are intelligent level headed thinking people and probably want to sell as many copies of their product as they can.

By only offering the all-in-one features to north america, but charging 20% more in price for europe? You must be either a shill or joking.
America =/= the world

#25 Edited by Franstone (1095 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw:

No way?? I thought there was just water beyond 'Merica!
Think about how difficult it must be to get a system with features that the Xbox One will have in all the countries and languages in the world at the same damn time.
I'm sure eventually all those issues will be worked out but clearly they focused on their largest markets first.
I no nothing about the pricing anywhere else (including import taxes and exchange rates) except what I heard about Sony in Brazil, almost double for what the One is going for.

Edit: I don't even wanna know how pissed you'd be if you were from Japan and your homeland's console creator was launching everywhere else first.
BLASPHEMY!!
: )

#26 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1042 posts) -

@franstone said:

@trafalgarlaw:

No way?? I thought there was just water beyond 'Merica!

Think about how difficult it must be to get a system with features that the Xbox One will have in all the countries and languages in the world at the same damn time.

I'm sure eventually all those issues will be worked out but clearly they focused on their largest markets first.

Yeah, just like how Netflix only got to europe last month on both system (7 year delay), and still no non-english voice commands for Kinect (4 year delay), can we get a mod to ban this shill? It's blatantly obvious.

#27 Edited by Franstone (1095 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw:

You are hilarious, go back to IGN.
Sorry if thats the case FOR BOTH SYSTEMS.
That's not my or 'MERICA'S fault.
Yea, ban me for having a conversation.
You clown.

#28 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

These intelligent level headed thinking people had to do 180 turn on their original plans, now marketing their console with "Look, we no longer try to screw you over", show no interest when it comes to apps and such outside US even though Europeans pay just as much money for XBL and on top of that, Whitten couldn't assure their DRM policies wouldn't change in the future.

I'm sure they're hoping to sell as much as possible, but you have to admit their odd tactic. For example, what features on X1 exactly are something that "Tier 2" countries should wait for next year instead of getting PS4? We saw on X360's last quarter that majority of new features that came out just gave "Unavailable in your tier 2 country, thanks for paying the same amount of money for XBL Gold though."

#29 Edited by Franstone (1095 posts) -

@verendus said:

@franstone said:

These intelligent level headed thinking people had to do 180 turn on their original plans, now marketing their console with "Look, we no longer try to screw you over", show no interest when it comes to apps and such outside US even though Europeans pay just as much money for XBL and on top of that, Whitten couldn't assure their DRM policies wouldn't change in the future.

I'm sure they're hoping to sell as much as possible, but you have to admit their odd tactic. For example, what features on X1 exactly are something that "Tier 2" countries should wait for next year instead of getting PS4? We saw on X360's last quarter that majority of new features that came out just gave "Unavailable in your tier 2 country, thanks for paying the same amount of money for XBL Gold though."

I was talking about 3rd party developers...

And yes, Microsoft did screw up with the reveal, because they didn't focus 95% on games they upset the vocal minority.

#30 Posted by ch3burashka (5017 posts) -

The Xbox Two.

#31 Posted by spraynardtatum (2615 posts) -

Getting all the children's faces registered on Microsoft servers

#32 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

Well I can fucking guarantee you that a new Assassin's Creed game will come out. Two if you hold on to that xbox360.

#33 Edited by GIyn (202 posts) -

Fuzion Frenzy 3

#34 Edited by myxzlplkts (13 posts) -

Reading some of these posts reminds me why I abhor the term "hardcore gamer". To answer your question though most new games will be on both systems. You just have to decide which exclusives are more appealing to you. I am getting an Xbox One launch day and hopefully pick up a Playstation 4 later on.

#35 Edited by MalkavTheClown (39 posts) -

@misterbigmack

I am in the same boat. I am curious to see what happens with the game launches and what it will actually look like vs speculation. I might end up getting a PS4 later down the road but for me i am going to try Dead Rising 3, COD Ghosts, BF4, KI and a few others. For me it comes down to the network stability, Cloud, Apps, and the evolution of the UI.

If we use current gen as an example i have been way more happy with the MS net vs the Sony. The evolution of the UI which Sony was mostly absent until the last year; and who is pushing the envelope. I still remember the launch UI in 2005 and how terrible it was vs what it is now. Same can be said for Sony although the effort hasn't really been there untill recent additions that come with a monthly fee. PS+ is great i enjoy what it has to offer but a little too late for this gen.

Looking at the collection i have of PS3 (Quantic being in there as well as Last of Us etc) I haven't bought 1 game for its MP component. This is mostly due to either issues with the network, Security Issues, or problems with DLC or patching.

If this is important to you it may be that bit that keeps you happy about your pre-order. Maybe not.

But for me i am sticking with MS :)

#36 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4161 posts) -

#37 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

That new IP from Insomniac might be cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.