Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

After much deliberation I've decided to get an xbox one

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrHadouken

The xbox one is the console for me, I still have a few concerns though. My only and major concern(s) are overheating and loud fan spinning, are these even issues I should worry about, seems like there isn't a RROD issue like last time. Am I creating issues that aren't even there? Thanks for any and all feedback.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

As long as you don't have it on a carpet in the corner of the room with little to no airflow, I don't think overheating should be a concern. As for loud fans, well, speaking as someone who's 360 sounds like a jet engine, the Xbox One by comparison is absolutely silent. Can't hear it at all during gameplay unless I lean in really close to the Xbox, and even then it's pretty quiet.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: I have the same 360 issues, that's what worried me. Thank you, you have sold me on the XBO.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

My Xbone has been mostly quiet. I did just move out of a dusty, drafty, and often times warm house where the fans seemed to run a bit high on hot afternoons. But nothing close to the 360 of the PS3. Most of the time it's a quiet hum that any game or movie would easily drown out.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

All I can say is that I haven't noticed the fan spinning at all. Maybe if I listen for it I can give a better critique, but it's never been bothersome.

And as far as overheating, just give it room to breath and you'll be fine. Basically what Turtlebird said.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

If it's dead quiet in the room and you sit near your XB1, you might be able to hear the disc drive (or maybe it's the HDD...) for a few seconds during loads, but loud is not a word I would use to describe it. Like...if there's any background noise and you sit more than 5 feet from your Xbox, I doubt you'd notice to be honest.

Other than that, welcome to the tribe.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The Xbox One is almost silent, but some people have said that they can hear their power supply whirring from time to time.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rethla

If youre concerned about fan noise you made the right choice, ps4 is way louder than Xbone. It has to be since its less than halfs its size.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@rethla said:

If youre concerned about fan noise you made the right choice, ps4 is way louder than Xbone. It has to be since its less than halfs its size.

My PS4 isn't louder than my new Xbox One, and my Xbox One is pretty quiet. For the most part, you only ever hear either console if you were to mute the sound. There has only been a couple of instances where the Xbox One is louder than the PS4 when installing a game from disc.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

dietlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dietlime

@mrhadouken: My Xbox One is quieter than my i5-4670K desktop with two PCM-comtrolled 120mm fans (epensive $15 Coolermaster fans designed to run quiet, too). It uses one large fan horizontally mounted directly over the main board/chip/heatsink pulling air through the sides and out the top vertically. I don't think it will have any heat problems, but four or five years down the line I could see needing to open it up for a good dusting.

It does have an exceptionally loud (and probably cheap) hard drive. If you have it in a small room where you sleep, when you turn it off the hard drive noise will probably bother you as it updates and presumably defragments itself at night.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

The xbox one is the console for me, I still have a few concerns though. My only and major concern(s) are overheating and loud fan spinning, are these even issues I should worry about, seems like there isn't a RROD issue like last time. Am I creating issues that aren't even there? Thanks for any and all feedback.

I can't hear my X1 at all when it's running. You can occasionally hear the hard drive during loads, but it's nothing louder than your average computer. As for overheating, I have mine in a relatively enclosed space (a VCR-sized space inside an entertainment center), which I know isn't ideal. It seems to handle it just fine. The hardware seems pretty damn robust overall.

Welcome to the club, man.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's a great time to jump onboard the Xbox wagon. Congrats.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dietlime: I think you'd need to use a fan controller or have a case that actually does eliminate sound in order to lessen its sound a lot more right?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The power supply fan is louder than the console

dietlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dietlime

@gaspower said:

@dietlime: I think you'd need to use a fan controller or have a case that actually does eliminate sound in order to lessen its sound a lot more right?

Oh you can build a quieter computer for sure. Being poor, my case is the $20 Raygo T2. It's actually pretty nice, but sometimes I wonder if the front grill and side vents are negatively impacting laminar flow.

In any case, you have to remember that my 4670K and GTX780 are a factor more powerful than either a PS4 or Xbox One.

Frankly, I suspect the reason both Planetside 2 and the Elder Scrolls Online are being delayed so dramatically is that they barely run on a desktop GPU at least ~20% faster than either console. Despite being out for over a year now both games (can) struggle (situationally: you are bad at computer) when rendering over 100 players (making an official forum thread will certainly be more productive than defragmenting your hard drive). Both (PS2 to a lesser extent) use particle physics, in ESO as an actual meaningful game mechanic. Planetside 2 had it's physX options outright disabled at some point. ESO implemented view distance culling just for particles, a particle limit option, and they did work on prioritizing certain effects over others.

Anyway, I lose myself in gaming easily. The point I'm making is that at full load my 4670K might be a little louder than a console, but it's also putting out significantly more heat.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GaspoweR

@dietlime: Usually the cases that allow for better airflow (or rather customize-able parts of the case that allow it) also allow more sound to escape obviously (e.g. mesh front covers allow for more airflow but more sound would also be heard, etc.) plus other factors you also pointed out (e.g. performance when running certain games with varying graphical settings).

There are caveats going for either one so it all boils down to preferences and usage.

dietlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dietlime

I meant "static pressure."

I think the number of hours I have spent gaming makes the term "laminar flow" off limits for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.