Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Anyone switch their PS4 preorder to an Xbox One?

Avatar image for houseofballoons
    HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@syed117 said:

Nope. both still preordered.

Definitely more excited about xbox one as a device and for the games until spring, but hopefully Sony will have more games to show at gamescom that will actually be released before holiday 2014. I don't see that happening though.

I'm not really excited about any PS4 release title so far. I'll eventually buy both consoles, but for my first I think the X1 offers more.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jakelyne said:
    @demoskinos said:

I'm not buying anything at launch. I'll buy a PS4 once Metal Gear Solid 5 release date gets announced.

Same here. Probably won't pick one up until either MGS5 or Destiny are out.

I completely forgot about MGS! That game alone will eventually make me purchase a PS4 if I decide to get an X1 first. Metal Gear on the PS1 will always be in my top 5.

MGS5 is going to be on Xbox One.

But anybody that plays a Metal Gear Solid game on anything that isn't a Sony system is definitely some sort of awful subhuman.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#53  Edited By Dagbiker

God, I really wish there was a way to tell who is a guerrilla marketer and who is legitimate. There's just no way to tell.

Godspeed OP. I hope you don't get burned in your decision.

Who cares, this guys opinion would weigh no more in your mind if he was or was not paid by microsoft.

But no, I have not pre ordered ether, while i was planing on preordering the ps4, i do not know if i will have 400$ when ever sony descides to release their console.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still sticking with PS4. I like to import Japanese games and the fact that it's cheaper still just makes more sense to me now.

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@houseofballoons said:

@jakelyne said:
    @demoskinos said:

I'm not buying anything at launch. I'll buy a PS4 once Metal Gear Solid 5 release date gets announced.

Same here. Probably won't pick one up until either MGS5 or Destiny are out.

I completely forgot about MGS! That game alone will eventually make me purchase a PS4 if I decide to get an X1 first. Metal Gear on the PS1 will always be in my top 5.

MGS5 is going to be on Xbox One.

But anybody that plays a Metal Gear Solid game on anything that isn't a Sony system is definitely some sort of awful subhuman.

Wasn't aware that it isn't a Sony exclusive anymore. That just feels.. unnatural..

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@nictel said:

@houseofballoons said:

Seriously, how much better are the graphics going to be on the PS4? With all the things Microsoft is going to implement with their cloud tech, I only see that gap closing in the near future.

You're not going to get magic GPU's through your internet connection.

You clearly do not understand the "cloud" if you think that mister.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117 said:

Nope. both still preordered.

Definitely more excited about xbox one as a device and for the games until spring, but hopefully Sony will have more games to show at gamescom that will actually be released before holiday 2014. I don't see that happening though.

I'm not really excited about any PS4 release title so far. I'll eventually buy both consoles, but for my first I think the X1 offers more.

For sure, I'm getting both consoles because I like having as many toys as possible. I just don't see anything that is crazy exciting for either XB1 or PS4 until spring. Titanfall will be huge and I hope it's great. Destiny as well, but that is multiplatform. At launch I want dead rising and Forza, maybe killer instinct and killzone if they are good. Of course the other multiplatform games, but those can go either way.

Don't really care about the power that the PS4 has over the XB1 at launch. I'm sure it will be more powerful, but we won't see games taking advantage of that power at launch. Probably a year later at the earliest. More interested in dancing in front of my tv in my underwear. No, not really, but I am excited to see how well this new kinect works, mainly the voice commands.

As of right now, MS has announced and shown significantly more exclusives. Sony can say all they want about how many titles are in development, but they need to actually show something. A name, a trailer, something. For games that will be out within the first year, they better at least have trailers by now. Gamescom will be interesting. They are both going to push. I'm also expecting sony to be sony and announce games that are years out. They have always done that. FF versus, the last guardian, agent, and others I can't even recall.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By yetiantics

Nope. Wouldn't even think it.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By living4theday258

Isn't gamestop sold out of their allotment of xbox and ps4 preorders already anyways; making it impossible for you to switch at gamestop?

I got an email from gamestop yesterday saying they still had ps4 pre-orders.

on topic: I plan to go all PC next gen.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man, I'll say that out of all the games I've seen, I'm most excited for Killer Instinct. I'ma wait and see when they announce that fight stick edition. But everything I see about it, I'm excited for. E.g. Every new character they announce, how balanced it is, and I wanna see how they play with those cloud features, etc.

Titanfall, I'm pretty excited for. I wanna see how well DLC is supported, and if they do a season pass along with that.

And Dead Rising 3 I'm pretty excited for, since I like open-world games so much. I like how you can drop your phone on the floor, and the zombies will run at you because of it.

All that 3rd party stuff is gravy to me. I like that new NFS, too. :D

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Zeik

No, but I've mostly stopped entertaining the idea of pre-ordering the PS4 at all, as the hype has worn down and remember that buying systems at launch is never worth it. And also that I'll likely be much better off upgrading my shitty computer first. Still most likely going to pick up the PS4 over the Xbox One though, unless there's a huge shift by the time I get around to picking one up.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall isn't a launch title, it's also coming to Pc and the 360.

Sony always has better exclusives and is more willing to try new things with IP and gameplay. 360 had the better online and controls(minus the dpad), but next gen they will most likely be on par with each other. Xbone forces a dumb camera to be pointed at your face at all times with little to no meaningful application for it, has a higher price point, lower specs, and will more than likely switch back to their policies after they get an instal base.

I'm not pre-ordering either just because i don't have the money to and I'd rather wait until they get the kinks out, but I doubt i will even buy an Xbox this gen at all. Halo has sucked since 3, Gears as well, and titan fall will more than likely be coming to ps4 a year or so later anyway.

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HouseOfBalloons

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Man, I'll say that out of all the games I've seen, I'm most excited for Killer Instinct. I'ma wait and see when they announce that fight stick edition. But everything I see about it, I'm excited for. E.g. Every new character they announce, how balanced it is, and I wanna see how they play with those cloud features, etc.

Titanfall, I'm pretty excited for. I wanna see how well DLC is supported, and if they do a season pass along with that.

And Dead Rising 3 I'm pretty excited for, since I like open-world games so much. I like how you can drop your phone on the floor, and the zombies will run at you because of it.

All that 3rd party stuff is gravy to me. I like that new NFS, too. :D

Dead Rising looked pretty rad, I'm not gonna lie. I don't know if it's necessarily purchase worthy though. Seems like it would get repetitive quickly. As far as Killer Instinct goes, that game was my freakin' childhood. Even though there aren't many people excited for it, I sure am.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. The hype/hate from the announcements have pretty much completely died down for me. I didn't preorder either console. As things stand now, I'm more excited for the PS4 simply because it is a more powerful box that wasn't surrounded with horrible mixed messages concerning DRM. However, as with the last generation, I'm gonna wait 6 months and see where both consoles stand before making a decision on whether I actually want either one. If Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, and (in my wildest dreams) Persona 5 make it to the PC, I'll just stick with my PC.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't want no internet console. The 360 proved that they have no fucking idea what they're doing hardwarewise(RRoD error 52 and all that jazz) and the exclusives are almost all timed and get ported to PC 6 to 12 months down the line.

Their disgusting privacy practices also makes it a no go(PRISM, anyone?)

I'm going to wait for a year or so before I either go full PC gaming or buy a PS4.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#66  Edited By DarthOrange

Nope. I cancelled the PS4 preorder because nothing at launch was grabbing me. I am waiting for inFamous. That said, I absolutely prefer the PlayStation exclusives. If you prefer the Microsoft exclusives then just make the switch.

Also Gran Turismo is totally the better simulator.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dagbiker said:

@nictel said:

@houseofballoons said:

Seriously, how much better are the graphics going to be on the PS4? With all the things Microsoft is going to implement with their cloud tech, I only see that gap closing in the near future.

You clearly do not understand the "cloud" if you think that mister.

Trust me I do. See the "cloud", or in less sexy terms: external service provider, can in the end only send and receive data. It does not magically make a computer, or console in this case, better. So unless you go the OnLive route and stream everything the graphics won't get better. You can't render half the screen through the cloud or say calculate the physics. Say even if you would manage to render half the screen locally and the other half offsite, it still wouldn't work. Why? Latency, latency, latency. You don't want half your screen to be lagging or get a message with "Please wait while the game waits for the correct direction of the ball". That's even without discussing the technical side of things. It would mean that every console would need their own dedicated virtual machine.

The cloud is a fancy marketing term, you can do great things with it but it is not magic. And when you arrive at the point where you render the entire game offsite it doesn't matter what kind of console you have, as long as it has the correct input.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By hollitz

As long as there's that mandatory Kinect, I'm out.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony always has better exclusives and is more willing to try new things with IP and gameplay. 360 had the better online and controls(minus the dpad), but next gen they will most likely be on par with each other. Xbone forces a dumb camera to be pointed at your face at all times with little to no meaningful application for it, has a higher price point, lower specs, and will more than likely switch back to their policies after they get an instal base.

I'm not pre-ordering either just because i don't have the money to and I'd rather wait until they get the kinks out, but I doubt i will even buy an Xbox this gen at all. Halo has sucked since 3, Gears as well, and titan fall will more than likely be coming to ps4 a year or so later anyway.

Saying that titanfall is coming to 360 is a little ridiculous. There is no way in hell that game is look or play the same as the xbox one version. It's not even being developed in house by respawn. The PC version is a much better comparison, but again, this is about PS4 and Xbox one. The PC market has always been smaller than the console market and that wont change any time soon. As easy as PC gaming has gotten thanks to services like steam, it's still a huge barrier for the vast majority of gamers. Even if steam is extremely easy for people like us to use, it's not for the average person. Buying a box at the store and then inserting a disc is just easier. The majority of the titanfall player base will be on 360 and xbox one. Out of those two, the xbox one version will obviously be superior. I could play on PC, but will I? Of course not. Especially since Respawn has already said that the xbox one version will have features that the other two wont.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By PillClinton

Seriously.. I'm not a marketer. I can't believe that's a legitimate worry nowadays on forums..

You may not be a marketer, but are you an official (or unofficial) Microsoft and/or Xbox brand evangelist? You have to tell us if you are.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Britain if you order an xbone your name goes on the sex offenders list and you have to wear an adult nappy. It's already been used and it goes on your face.

Nice. I wonder which console you think is better.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, no. I'm not a fan of the recent rumours at all, but even if they turn out true, it's still better than the xbox and cheaper.

If I suddenly decided I didn't want a ps4, then I really wouldn't want an xbox one.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Berserker976

No, but then again I'm not a huge fan of paying more for less.

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pillclinton: I don't know how many times I can say no in one thread.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I have neither preordered...I have no idea what I am going to do at this point.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78  Edited By lethalki11ler

@houseofballoons: I see your point and for me Titanfall was a deciding factor until I decided it was time for me to upgrade my PC anyways to have the best of both worlds. I am not switching my PS4 pre-order however as I have a feeling Sony has something special in its hands and soon to be in mine aswell ;)

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I might get both now? Maybe. Maayybbeee. But no, I'm not going to cancel my PS4 pre-order.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Far too little details to really affect any major swapping, honestly...

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only MS exclusive that I'll actually miss is Forza. Gran Turismo is no replacement. Forza 4 is a mesh of little flaws and odd choices but GT5 is just a bad game and a bad sim by any reasonable standard, I think.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, I really wish there was a way to tell who is a guerrilla marketer and who is legitimate. There's just no way to tell.

This is not new. There are people on gaf who dropped PS4 for the ram thing.

Avatar image for badass_master_blaster
    Badass_Master_Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope....i wish i was a marketer, imagine getting paid to just spy on on thread and post all day...then again maybe its crappy commision work, 5 cents every post..(end of the week)..maybe ill go to the movies, by myself.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than the price, at this point I don't really see a reason to get one over the other... but the PS4 is slightly cheaper so I'll probably default to that.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rebgav said:

@darthorange said:

The only MS exclusive that I'll actually miss is Forza. Gran Turismo is no replacement. Forza 4 is a mesh of little flaws and odd choices but GT5 is just a bad game and a bad sim by any reasonable standard, I think.

Darth is a silly boy, best to let him dream.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117 said:

@oursin_360 said:

Saying that titanfall is coming to 360 is a little ridiculous. There is no way in hell that game is look or play the same as the xbox one version. It's not even being developed in house by respawn. The PC version is a much better comparison, but again, this is about PS4 and Xbox one. The PC market has always been smaller than the console market and that wont change any time soon. As easy as PC gaming has gotten thanks to services like steam, it's still a huge barrier for the vast majority of gamers. Even if steam is extremely easy for people like us to use, it's not for the average person. Buying a box at the store and then inserting a disc is just easier. The majority of the titanfall player base will be on 360 and xbox one. Out of those two, the xbox one version will obviously be superior. I could play on PC, but will I? Of course not. Especially since Respawn has already said that the xbox one version will have features that the other two wont.

Ridiculous? It's coming to Pc and 360. Gameplay will more than likely be the same of course it won't be as good looking, unless they purposely make it shitty then it'll probably be a quality 360 title. But it's really impossible to talk about the quality of it since it's not out, and they show gameplay for the Xbone(more likely PC atm) version

And it'll be coming to Ps4 after a year, no way EA is going to keep it exclusive for longer than that.

If you want an xbone fine, but one game i can get on other platforms isn't going to make me drop 500 for it.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only preordered an Xbox One because that's the one some of my friends are getting. I love my PS3, but none of my real gaming friends had one so I barely got to play any multiplayer. I'm gonna hold on to it for a while and finish up some stuff, then I may buy a PS4 also.

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

@darthorange said:

Oh man, after playing Forza for so many years, nothing compares. I grew up on GT, but I seriously can't go back to it.

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@houseofballoons: I see your point and for me Titanfall was a deciding factor until I decided it was time for me to upgrade my PC anyways to have the best of both worlds. I am not switching my PS4 pre-order however as I have a feeling Sony has something special in its hands and soon to be in mine aswell ;)

That would be my first choice as well, but only got money for one or the other.. boo. :(

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No (x4)

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Syed117

I cancelled both xbox one and ps4 preorders and ordered an ouya with three extra controllers.

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By HouseOfBalloons
    @the_laughing_man said:

@oldirtybearon said:

This is not new. There are people on gaf who dropped PS4 for the ram thing.

You mean dropped because of the fact that PS4 is going to have 5.5GB of RAM for disposal? I think that's a bit rash. I mean, just look at what Naughty Dog was able to do with 512MB of RAM.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best bet this generation is sticking with the PC. Everything is being ported over to Steam anyways suckers so keep paying full retail for 2008 graphics and barbaric DRM.

Barbaric DRM? The worst DRM out there has been on our beloved PC. At least MS wanted to encourage a system that was so closed they could start giving features as a result of that closed loop, instead of just being like steam where all you get is convenience and inconvenience. I love steam, but acting like what would have been steam but with a ton of sharing and trading features for games is draconian or awful really ticks me off. It makes no sense. Other than the always online bit, that's all it really was. All it really needed was a way to toggle your account to offline mode and boom, nor problems. But loudmouths like you convinced MS the real answer was to make no one happy and just go back to the way it used to be. So thanks for that, by the way.
    I mean, I don't really care that much, but man is your side of the argument touchy about this stuff. You refuse to see the middle point that would make everyone happy: offline gamers with the opportunity to opt out of the always online nature of the console, and people with confidence in their internet who wanna be able to trade and share their digital library and all that neat stuff.

@nictel said:

@houseofballoons said:

To be fair, that is basically what you get with stuff like onlive. The difference is they can be more picky about what they use that connection for, and the benefits are REAL, like it or not. I don't get why people are so insistent that the cloud processing isn't a real thing. Do you know how google voice search works? It sends your voice off to a server somewhere, does all the calculations there, and sends them back. That is, in essence, what XBL of the next generation has the potential to do. Only it'll be AI or number crunching or matchmaking or server hosting instead of voice recognition. Stop hating on the cloud just because it's the cloud. It's a genuine asset and even if it's just dedicated servers, that is a HUGE plus. Seriously, it's so much better than the CoD mess of host migration and advantage and all that crap. And it means stuff like ArmA could actually happen on a console (In ArmA, pretty much all of the heavy lifting is done by the server, namely the AI, which makes it a bit rough to run complex missions). And other people are doing creative things with it like Drivatar. If that works, it'll be huge for guys like me that don't have buddies to race against but love the Forza series. AI is the biggest flaw with that genre, and if it really does make it evolve and feel more human and real, that will be great.

W..why would I do that? It's still $100 more and it's still less powerful.

It's $100 more, but the difference in power is all but meaningless. First of all, it's only a bit more potent. Second of all, that will matter fuck all for 90% of the good games, because most games are multiplatform and will be the same on either platform. That extra power will be seen occasionally maybe in exclusives, and even then it's questionable. While the PS3 had a lot of stunningly good looking exclusives, it had plenty of ugly ones too. A bit of extra power doesn't really matter than much and it's barely enough for anyone to do much with anyway. Especially with how huge of a chunk of RAM their simpler OS is supposedly taking up. The Xbone is managing to fit 3 OSs into less space than one OS on the PS4, if things are to be believed.

Also, aren't gamers supposed to not care about graphics? It's all about the gameplay. Until something shiny comes along, and then suddenly it matters again that things maybe look a tiny bit different.

@fluxwavez said:

@houseofballoons said:

Should I even bother?

In any gaming forum, an unknown user with very few amounts of posts comparing two next generation consoles but holding one in higher regard for almost illogical reasons will be called out as having a potential ulterior motive.

http://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-4/3045-146/forums/why-i-think-the-ps4-will-be-the-best-system-next-g-1441375/#47

This guy literally had 1 post and barely anyone batted an eyelash.

It's because people have been driven like cattle to think the PS4 is some amazing industry saving device. In actuality, they've stopped being different and are now pretty much on par with each other. Except for the far more mature online service, more plentiful interesting launch window exclusives, and that news about every system being a dev unit. And a potentially really cool way to interface with the system when you're not playing a game on it, ie Kinect, ie the thing people only hate because of assumptions or paranoia.

No one is willing to just say "hey, both of those systems are pretty damn similar, and pretty damn sweet sounding." And it has nothing to do with merit and everything to do with an over-reaction to something that could have been fixed with a check box when you set the machine up: "Do you want to enable extra online functionality?" Instead MS panicked because they mistook the internet going crazy for rational thought and over-reacted themselves and just axed a potentially cool and most definitely inevitable step towards our digital future. It saved the PC market, and soon it's going to do wonders for the console market. Even the PS4 is making great steps towards it, just fewer risks to push the expectations. They gave us things that were expected, and should have been, and somehow they are treated like a holy organization. Almost as if they think Sony is a charity and MS is an evil money grabbing corporation. Turns out the latter is true of both. Because they are both businesses.

I only have a few posts, and I can assure you I am not a marketing guy for MS. I'm stoked for both systems, and tired of the bullshit surrounding the next generation. People need to stop saying shit like the smart asses saying this guy is a marketer. Just because we aren't cynical or naive or grouchy like you doesn't mean we don't have valid reasons to be expected. You guys said before E3 it'd be all about the games. Then MS showed more interesting games, didn't have an incredibly awkward segment about music and television and film (which Sony did have), and still people hate on them. Even after they went back on the online stuff, and even after they fixed their policy on self publishing and patching.

After I went through 3 different Xbox 360s in two years, I wasn't going to buy the next Microsoft console even before their colossal DRM fuck-up this year.

Meanwhile, I'm on the same PS3 I've had since 2008.

Too bad for you. The later 360 models had lower (ever so slightly, so essentially the same) failure rates than PS3s. And there's no telling what things will be like in the next generation. You should wait on the hardware to prove itself instead of making assumptions. That's like assuming a dev who's second game is shit is never going to make a good game again, even though they made a pretty solid game before. I don't blame you for being sick of the 360's issues, but assuming it'll happen again and ruling it out is kind of a silly move. Be cautious, don't just write it off as an impossibility. Of course, if you're a one console kinda person, I suppose it doesn't matter and I doubt the PS4 will do anything but great things for you. I just wanted to point out that MS learned from their mistakes this generation and there's no good reason to assume otherwise for the next generation. Caution is all well and fine of course, but within reason.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, while i haven't preordered either console since preorders are pointless.

I still plan on getting a PS4 rather than an Xbox One. I mean its a more powerful machine (however slightly) and its not bogged down in accessories i dont give a shit about. The Kinect is a HUGE reason why i'm going to abandon the Xbox despite being a very happy 360 owner for 6+ years, it's just an unnecessary thing. I can't see myself ever using it even if i got a free one. the room in which i play video games is fairly small and cramped, so even with improved kinect, i can't see it working well.

Seriously the mere fact Kinect is manditory is a huge point to me. I don't want it. I have no interest in it. But forcing me to have one just so they can try and sell more kinect games to me is disgusting.

Them doubling down on the Kinect stuff is what killed it for me. None of the crazy online DRM nonsense bothered me much, it was the KInect. I don't want it. At all. 3rd parties won't fully embrace it because well they're 3rd parties, they're not going to invest in that sorta thing heavily. First party games will feel pressured into including kinect functionality.

UI functionality. I can't really see the purpose of arm swiping a menu when i can thumb flick a stick or press a button. I'll admit however voice commands seem appealing to me.

The whole Kinect thing seems totally misguided. I'm afraid microsoft is going to push publishers/developers to make kinect features to make kinect relevant despite the fact most people dont give a shit about it. Making the Kinect manditory and packed in with every Xbox One, it shows that they're really pushing for it, and that htey want it to be a big part of it. I don't want that. AT ALL.

They're making the new kinect a big part of the new Xbox yet they've shown no reason to WHY. Why the hell should i give a shit about it? Why should i want it? Why should i want it sitting there watching all the time? Give me a reason. A single gameplay demo of it being used in an exciting and new way. It could make a massive difference. Yet we've seen almost nothing about the new kinect thats a huge part of the system. It's a pack-in accessory yet they showed absolutely no reason for it during E3 or anywhere else.

The PS4 just seems more in line with what i want. A console i hook up to my TV and interent and play god damn video games.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By bigjeffrey

I canceled my plans to build a PC and instead getting a Xobx one.

That was not the question but who cares.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I really never understood the outrage over the Xbox One. The immaturity of the gaming community seems to forget in an instant that the most important thing is the actual games we are going to be playing. As of right now most of the games worth playing for the PS4 are going to be available for the Xbox One and the Xbox One has some more exclusives worth playing in my opinion.

That means I'd much rather buy the system with more games I want to actually play. That being said, Watch Dogs is probably the only launch title for either system I actually feel like playing, and I think every single person preordering is going to be extremely disappointed that their new console has almost no games worth playing. Go look at the launch titles and you will most likely say "Hey, why the hell am I even buying this system day one?" Then you have to consider the fact that there may be some kind of hardware malfunctions on either one and I see no reason to buy the new consoles in 2013. However, the first year does seem pretty good and by Christmas 2014 the consoles will both look pretty great and we will know which one to get by then.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#97  Edited By TobbRobb

Why would I preorder a console?

I'll wait for games, kthx. Signs point to Playstation though, like the last 3 generations.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Syed117

At the end of the day, I want the future and I want to support the company that has consistenty brought real innovation to the console gaming landscape.

I'm perfectly fine with Sony building a powerful and great box for gaming, but they are doing nothing new or exciting in any way. Everything they have shown is just the natural progression of what Sony does. Here is the next generation Playstation which is a lot like the last one but more powerful. Oh and we also added all those features that you've been using on xbox for years.

When Microsoft pushed xbox live on the original xbox, it was ridiculed. A headset that plugs into the controller and you can talk to friends on a console level online system? People laughed and said it would never work. Including a hard drive in the first xbox was almost a waste and was used primarily by people ripping their own music to play while in games. They still pushed it.

No matter how trivial achievements seem now, it was groundbreaking. Everyone has achievements now, even steam. You can't take those things away and out your head in the sand. They created the system where your profile meant something. What did Sony do? Copy that system with their own spin and implement it in a much worse way. And not even at launch despite being a year later. I'm still a little annoyed that I don't have trophies for any of those early ps3 games. I don't really care, but it's a nice record to have.

The same thing is happening for the controller. Everyone is losing their damn minds about the ds4. Why? Because it is so much better now because they are fixing all the problems of the ds3? So they are making analog sticks that aren't convex and making triggers that aren't complete trash? They made triggers so poorly on the ds3 that all shooters were designed to work with the L1 and R1 buttons. Well guess what, Microsoft designed a much better controller with less dead zone in the sticks and great triggers. Oh my god, the ds4 now lets you plug in a headset into the controller? Am I supposed to applaud Sony for catching up to something Microsft did two generations ago?

I will be the first to admit that Sony has always had a stronger first party. That's fantastic and I enjoyed most of their first party games. That being said, the machine itself and the little things it does augment the experience and those things absolutely matter. I can't even explain how backwards it feels when I log into PSN to play the last of us and I have to go a lobby and mute everyone. That I have to wait until I get into the game to even speak to my friends. When I turn on my xbox to play with friends, the first thing I do is go into a party and we go from there. Even when people are playing different games, we are all talking and everything is that much more enjoyable. A few simple button presses and invites are sent and they are accepted just as easily. Should I applaud Sony and lose my shit because they are now adding party chat to ps4?

Not to mention the piss poor quality of Bluetooth chat. It's terrible and Sony being Sony didnt even bother to up that technology in the ps4. It's using the same 8 year old Bluetooth 2.1 edr. Xbox voice chat already sounds so much better and they are even pushing that with brand new tech that is ahead of the curve. They didnt have to use wifi direct because their old tech worked just fine. But they wanted to make the audio quality even better for a better experience. Not even going to go into what directly hooking up tablets and phones to the xbox one could mean.

I'm not saying that Microsoft is without fault. The xbox 360 suffered from poorly designed internals and never should have shipped without hard drives. Also, those battery packs were the worst rechargeable batteries I've ever used in my life. Battery packs should be replaceable but they should be included with all controllers. It's a bit insane that they aren't.

Despite those things, they are still pushing. We don't know how well this new kinect will work and we don't know what the cloud really means for gaming. The first kinect was a novelty at best and this new one is apparently much better. I don't think they would have the balls to force that thing if it didnt work properly. If I never have to pick up a controller or remote again to change channels or go to the next episode of a tv show on netflix and it actually works. If squad commands of other voice commands can be made to work in game, I think that's a potential revolution waiting to happen. It literally changes the way we interact with a device. Remember when apple launched a phone with no physical buttons?

As far as the cloud goes, they are pushing there as well. Xbox live works perfectly fine. I don't know why they are adding all these servers and allowing azure to be utilized by developers, but they are. There is potential. Just because people can't see it or refuse to see it doesn't mean it's not there. It's literally billions of dollars worth of hardware waiting to be taken advantage of. Only time will tell what will happen, but if any company has the resources in gaming to pull it off, it's Microsoft.

Microsoft if anything has proven one thing, they are willing to take huge risks. They are willing to push in directions we might not know we are headed. Xbox live is proof of that. They got a lot of backlash this time around and that forced them to give up on the digital future we are headed towards anyway. Console gamers simply aren't ready. A steam like system for consoles sounded pretty amazing to me. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not exactly accustomed to selling my used steam games at gamestop. Or lending them to friends.

I have had almost every home console since the NES and I will have these new ones at launch because this is a lifelong hobby for me. Everything they are trying to do with the xbox one might crash and burn, but at least they are trying. As long as they don't just slap me in the face with a more powerful box and features that the other guy has had for a long time, I'll continue to support them.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

@darthorange said:

GT5 is indeed a bad game, but a bad sim it certainly is not. And to say otherwise is blasphemous.

imo

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By jsnyder82

@jarmahead: I absolutely never said I thought it would happen again. You seem to be the one assuming. But going through 3 consoles in the span of only a couple years kind of sours a person to the Microsoft brand. I don't quite understand why you don't find that reasonable, but whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.