Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Anyone switch their PS4 preorder to an Xbox One?

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Can someone tell me the appeal of pre-ordering? Other than the standard definition of "reservation," which kind of makes sense.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Fuck no.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Missacre

Eesh, good luck getting spied on through your Kinect camera. That's why there will never be an Xbone in this house, ever. Maybe I'd buy one if it came without the Kinect, but I still doubt it. No way I'm letting the NSA watch me walk around my house naked.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

Eesh, good luck getting spied on through your Kinect camera. That's why there will never be an Xbone in this house, ever. Maybe I'd buy one if it came without the Kinect, but I still doubt it. No way I'm letting the NSA watch me walk around my house naked.

I will do a Buffalo Bill Tuck ever morning in front of the Kinect and think about you.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ya this guy has 20 posts and works at microsoft.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for houseofballoons
    HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

Oh God.. not this shit again..

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

No Caption Provided

How many Microsoft Points did it take?

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By HouseOfBalloons

@bigjeffrey said:

@houseofballoons said:

@tarsier said:

No Caption Provided

How many Microsoft Points did it take?

1600. I ain't cheap hoe.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#110  Edited By Fearbeard

No, but I already have them both pre-ordered.

On the game lineup, I'm actually more interested in the X1 launch games. I love the Dead Rising series and even though they are changing up 3 a bit I know I still have to play it. I'm not sure about Ryse yet, but I'm a sucker for fantasy, ancient times and medieval time games. Killer Instinct I don't care about at all, but it's free so I'll try it at least. Forza 5 will undoubtedly be a great racing game as the series has been solid in the past.

For Sony, Killzone I'm sure will be solid, but I've never been wild about the series. Knack looks ok, but I think I'll enjoy the new Ratchet and Clank PS3 game more. I don't know what to make of Drive Club. At least there will be a free version with my PS+ membership so maybe it will surprise me. Not having Infamous: Second Son as a launch game is a big blow for me. That game is looking amazing and would easily be my first next gen purchase if it were available right away.

Third party support for both is looking pretty solid though. I'll definitely be playing Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs on next gen consoles, but I'll have to wait and see how they handle on each system before I decide which to play it on.

HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By HouseOfBalloons

No, but I already have them both pre-ordered.

On the game lineup, I'm actually more interested in the X1 launch games. I love the Dead Rising series and even though they are changing up 3 a bit I know I still have to play it. I'm not sure about Ryse yet, but I'm a sucker for fantasy, ancient times and medieval time games. Killer Instinct I don't care about at all, but it's free so I'll try it at least. Forza 5 will undoubtedly be a great racing game as the series has been solid in the past.

For Sony, Killzone I'm sure will be solid, but I've never been wild about the series. Knack looks ok, but I think I'll enjoy the new Ratchet and Clank PS3 game more. I don't know what to make of Drive Club. At least there will be a free version with my PS+ membership so maybe it will surprise me. Not having Infamous: Second Son as a launch game is a big blow for me. That game is looking amazing and would easily be my first next gen purchase if it were available right away.

Third party support for both is looking pretty solid though. I'll definitely be playing Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs on next gen consoles, but I'll have to wait and see how they handle on each system before I decide which to play it on.

I'm right there with ya on Ryse. I was really looking forward to it at first, but I don't know if it's actually shaping up to be something great.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wasnt going to be getting an Xbox One even before all the stuff with it was announced then cancelled, I'm not a big fan of the direction MS has been taking the Xbox over the last few years and I have had a much better experience with my PS3 so I am happy to stick with Sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
    deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't preorder consoles because I'm not exactly financially secure and I'm not insane, but I still have no intention of purchasing an Xbox One as it is.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My current thinking is still to upgrade my PC over getting a new console as I am only a cpu/motherboard combo out from being back on track with games coming out. That and quite a few of those games are coming to PC/another platform where I can still play a game.

For people saying that the RAM difference will mean nothing I might have to disagree on that part. While exclusive games will definitely looknice as they are designed for the console they are on alot of games this generation still looked much better on PC as the PC had the ability to run the game in a more stable manner. That probably wont change and also means that due to the PS4 having that extra power the developers might not turn off as many things as they would on the x1.

I cant wait for Titanfall on PC now that I know their cloud ideas were dedicated servers which has not really been a problem for PC unless the developers forced matchmaking host servers on the PC crowd and AI partners which probably would not be missed due to the player count (I think they have stated the X1 will be able to work 64 players on a server now)

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft promised and will deliver upon not seeing or hearing you through the Kinect 2. What they will get, and already take from the Kinect 1, is data related to what it sees. You will not only be the controller, but also the focus group.

Kinect 2 will see me scratch my ballbag. Microsoft will see "User 14541 from device 54543 showed disinterest in Commercial 73532".

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By EXTomar

Can someone tell me the appeal of pre-ordering? Other than the standard definition of "reservation," which kind of makes sense.

The appeal is that it makes vendors very happy. Oh wait you mean appeal for us? Usually just a "priority list" thing where if you want something day 0, pre-ordering is the way to go. Otherwise I would recommend buying the machine when there is a game you really are planning to play which maybe weeks or months later.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

If you think that "The Cloud" is going to bridge the gap then the XB1 is totally for you, someone who doesn't have a clue about anything, you are the person XB1 is marketed at.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't see why people get so heated about the console war. It's an easy choice. What do you like? Halo or Killzone? Which ever is the one your into that's your system. The systems are basically the same on a tech level and third party games come to everything. I'm a Halo guy and I know it. Xbox from day one.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Never.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day one delivery

Free shipping

various bonuses often

No hectic trying to get one. Just relax until you get your amazon packet XD

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

100$ extra dollars so they can force kinect down my throat no thanks.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mariachimacabre said:

W..why would I do that? It's still $100 more and it's still less powerful.

It's $100 more, but the difference in power is all but meaningless. First of all, it's only a bit more potent. Second of all, that will matter fuck all for 90% of the good games, because most games are multiplatform and will be the same on either platform. That extra power will be seen occasionally maybe in exclusives, and even then it's questionable. While the PS3 had a lot of stunningly good looking exclusives, it had plenty of ugly ones too. A bit of extra power doesn't really matter than much and it's barely enough for anyone to do much with anyway. Especially with how huge of a chunk of RAM their simpler OS is supposedly taking up. The Xbone is managing to fit 3 OSs into less space than one OS on the PS4, if things are to be believed.

Also, aren't gamers supposed to not care about graphics? It's all about the gameplay. Until something shiny comes along, and then suddenly it matters again that things maybe look a tiny bit different.

The power is a small issue but it's an issue. What reason do I have to get the less powerful console when it's more expensive? If they were the same price it'd be no big deal, but they aren't. The Xbox One is a weaker console with required gimmicks I don't care about (all the TV nonsense and Kinect.), so paying $100 more for it makes no sense. You can't compare this generations power to the next, either. This generation, the PS3 was the more powerful console but it was also far more difficult to work with. The PS4 and the Xbox One are both, apparently, very easy to develop for. On top of that, developers have had nothing but good things to say about working with Sony, and the opposite about working with Microsoft. Sony has done a very good job of winning over developers and fans by being reasonable. Microsoft has tripped and fallen quite a few times since revealing the Xbox One, and it's forced them to backtrack on a lot of stupid policy. They've recieved their blows for their bad policy but I'm still not comfortable buying their products until I see, in action, that they won't just try to fuck their customers over once again.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nope, because fuck the direction Microsoft is going across all it's devices.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Hell no. I don't want a fucking Kinect and the X1 is still going to force me to have that creepy fucking thing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#126  Edited By Jeust

@nictel said:

@houseofballoons said:

Seriously, how much better are the graphics going to be on the PS4? With all the things Microsoft is going to implement with their cloud tech, I only see that gap closing in the near future.

You're not going to get magic GPU's through your internet connection.

It will be hard to upgrade the game experience besides some minor computations with the cloud, I reckon.

More important than the exclusives to me is my prior experience with Microsoft. Leaving a console to dry in terms of exclusives for about four years with nothing besides Forza, Gears of War and Halo was disappointing. I see no reason to trust them again.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#127  Edited By mrfluke

nope, now that the policies are reversed, the subject between the two is about the games,

both 1st party

launch date

games dont look that great, but i still prefer the ps4 lineup more.

also way more excited for infamous second son than titanfall. not to mention there's a very good possibility with due to how the respawn guys have been shyly saying on twitter that titanfall may be a timed exclusive or that the next game will go multiplatform

not to mention that the ps4 i think is gonna have like 5 free to play games ready for launch,

while ms will only have killer instinct and i think that looks kinda middling

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

nope, now that the policies are reversed, the subject between the two is about the games,

both 1st party

launch date

also way more excited for infamous second son than titanfall. not to mention there's a very good possibility with due to how the respawn guys have been shyly saying on twitter that titanfall may be a timed exclusive or that the next game will go multiplatform

Its gonna go multiplat in a year. What would be awesome is if it went cross platform playing.

I have had a huge surge in work hours this last month and there is a decent chance I will have the cash to get both systems near release. *X1 all ready pre ordered*

Killzone on PS4 is super tempting along with Second Son.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'll get the XBO as soon as they offer to sell it in the country where I'm staying at the moment. Until then, sadly I'm relegated to the PS4 and.. *shudder* Trophies..

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

both 1st party

launch date

Its gonna go multiplat in a year. What would be awesome is if it went cross platform playing.

I have had a huge surge in work hours this last month and there is a decent chance I will have the cash to get both systems near release. *X1 all ready pre ordered*

if your talking X1/PS4 cross play, that would be fantastic, but it'll never happen.

i think Killzone could surprise people if they do it right, that series has good intrigue fiction, but does a piss poor job of surfacing that in the last 3 games.

also i believe sony has like 5 free to play titles getting ready for launch with the ps4, so there is that of possibly getting 5 games with your system.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#131  Edited By kaos_cracker

... I'm excited for the new Killzone tho... Also, you thought they wouldn't dedicate some of the RAM for the OS? If they didn't, that would be slow as hell, Microsoft will be doing the same. Maybe the same amount, maybe less. But who cares?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

both 1st party

launch date

if your talking X1/PS4 cross play, that would be fantastic, but it'll never happen.

i think Killzone could surprise people if they do it right, that series has good intrigue fiction, but does a piss poor job of surfacing that in the last 3 games.

also i believe sony has like 5 free to play titles getting ready for launch with the ps4, so there is that of possibly getting 5 games with your system.

Now that X1 is going with the self publishing thing WarFrame might be coming over to it as well.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Wow that's funny because I was actually thinking of switching my Xbox One preorder to a PS4.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

both 1st party

launch date

Now that X1 is going with the self publishing thing WarFrame might be coming over to it as well.

And not to burst your bubble but Planetside 2 is horribly pay2win.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@sungahymn said:

Day one delivery

Free shipping

various bonuses often

No hectic trying to get one. Just relax until you get your amazon packet XD

Yup this is the main reason why i pre order/order most if not all, Me and my family are busy 24/7 so we dont have luxury to visit a store to get something its stress free ordering online.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By bybeach

Theoretically and I am not accusing,..How does one get these cush jobs...and I have a fair number of posts. Well, that's alright, I am not pre-ordering at all, because I learned from last time that was the best way to understand durability, performance, and the games themselves. Neither side will probably be able to fulfill their pre-order for me at this stage anyways, the 'shortages' will have already begun. I made decisions last time about 5- 8 months after, and still did not avoid that ring of death, or the failure of my blueray player. MS was much kinder to me money wise btw on these issues, and I do not forget. But for some reason liked my PS3 more because of the evolving 360 interface.

This time around I am inclined to the PS4 because kinect still puts me off, and the philosophy of MS towards what the X-box does alienates me more. I generally can use computer for everything. I will make the assumption Sony has very seriously eliminated their dev. accessibility problem. I bought 360 games because I had to for performance, but quickly switched to computer as the exclusives petered out. I bought PS3 games whenever I could, especially exclusives like Infamous and Killzone (lol). I'm not a big Halo fan and felt Gears of War was..okay, just lacking on story (they got better). Kill Zone suffers the same problem, because you can tell one side is actually exasperating the problem but they just hint at it. Plus the disastrous last 10 minutes of Killzone 3, I never want to see such a good game ruined like that again.

Also, in one sentence, I want to see what these machines have over my computer rig besides hoarding exclusives.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By mrfluke

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

both 1st party

launch date

seems a bit subjective as a few others say otherwise. (even a few in the comments as well)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/19/planetside-2s-higby-talks-member-benefits-pay-to-win/

""No weapon, vehicle, attachment, continent, class, or certification is unavailable to you as a free player. Everything and anything that can affect gameplay is available to unlock through gameplay."

im cool if i have to work for stuff a bit harder.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

both 1st party

launch date

seems a bit subjective as a few others say otherwise. (even a few in the comments as well)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/19/planetside-2s-higby-talks-member-benefits-pay-to-win/

""No weapon, vehicle, attachment, continent, class, or certification is unavailable to you as a free player. Everything and anything that can affect gameplay is available to unlock through gameplay."

I played it for a week and was unable to unlock any new weapons. It takes a long time to get the points and what not.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#140  Edited By billyhoush

I'm the exact opposite of you. I had a 360 that was my primary system and then was given a PS3 which just sat there until my 360 broke. I thought it would be stupid to buy another 360 since I have a PS3 and I fell in love with the PS3 and enjoyed gaming a lot more. I think it may have been the controller since I have tiny hands.

PS4 preordered.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether this is real or not, I'm not going to switch. Price is a major factor in this. I have exactly zero interest in using the Kinect in any way, shape or form, and paying an extra $100 for it doesn't appeal to me. All that DRM stuff never bothered me, but now that it's gone, that also kinda bums me out. I loved the idea of buying a disc and having it stored in my console forever.

I'm not going to bother with the One till it hits $300, whether through a sale or a price drop. Until then, though, I'll be happy with my PS4.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

both 1st party

launch date

I played it for a week and was unable to unlock any new weapons. It takes a long time to get the points and what not.

tribes was the same way for me, still had a decent time messing with tribes with just the free stuff though.

to be honest, planetside 2 wasnt the big free game im looking forward to, i mean its still cool that its still a free game you can download and just mindlessly shoot dudes in.

but its more warframe and DCU im interested in which ive had friends that have had good times with those games without spending money.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Nah to unlock one weapon is pretty fast if you are know what you are supposed to do. But Planetside 2 is really a grind game if you want to play for free.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a while this thread was going in a hilarious direction before it got all sincere. Seriously its marketing entrapment if you don't say, marajuwana cigarettes or not. I will cancel my non-existent pre-order if you don't fess up.

Are you a marketer? You gotta tell us if you are.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you will find many people on the internet that love the xbox one. Sony has had all the positive momentum from their initial reveal and this is the internet. The xbox one is just now starting to gain some popularity.

I think price is a huge factor, but the whole chip on the shoulder herd mentality displayed by so many sony fans is getting a little old.

Preferring one brand to another is fine, but dismissing something completely is childish. Every time someone goes on a rant about the kinect spying on them, or that it sucks or even dismissing all the cloud stuff Microsoft is pushing. No one knows if these things will work and it's hard not feel depressed about gamers when they are willing to dismiss everything that microsoft is doing despite the product not being on shelves.

If the internet has proven anything, it's that hypocrisy reigns supreme and apparently people don't want change. The unconditional love for the PS4 is proof of that. Microsoft will always be the big evil corporation despite everything they have done for gaming. Sony despite all the mistakes of the PS3 can do no wrong.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Why would I switch to inferior product? It is simple math: playstations get better as shown by numbers going up (ps3 -> ps3) and xbox will go worse (x360 -> x1). Do the math.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would I switch to inferior product? It is simple math: playstations get better as shown by numbers going up (ps3 -> ps3) and xbox will go worse (x360 -> x1). Do the math.

Atari 7200 confirmed for greatest console of all time.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@connerthekewlkid: Nah, I thought so first too. It seems that numbers in the old consoles were in microliters and they changed the scale to liters after the Crash.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two games I'm looking forward to the most, and the reason I'm going to get an X1 before a PS4, are the new Remedy game and Sunset Overdrive.

jayu26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd: Both don't have official release year, let alone release date. What now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.