Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

CBoat from GAF on rumors about a Kinect-less XB1 in 2014

• 69 results
    AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AlexGlass

@marokai said:

The argument here against CBoat is really silly, too. "He's not an MS insider, he just makes educated guesses and gets 90%+ of it right by pure luck over the course of 8 years." Yeah, sure, whatever helps you sleep at night, dude.

No, not pure luck.

But some of these do feel like educated guesses that anyone could and has come up with. His Kinect talk is "no chance of a Kinect-less SKU but there's a chance that might happen if sales are bad" is just that. It's the same educated guess most fans on forums, including here, came up with to coincide with their announcement of unplugging the Kinect. BTW, this was the big September surprise so whose to say he didn't just get wind of that announcement and he added his own assumptions into the mix? Perhaps he knows the release of Kinect Sports Rivals?

No chance in hell the delay in Europe had anything at all due to yields. It's completely lacking common sense that yield issues would cause a delay in only a couple of small markets and if anything the upgrades MS announced for the eSRAM and GPU not only debunked, but directly contradicted his rumor. Multiple sources within Microsoft flatly denied the rumor and gave an explanation that to me, makes a lot more sense, regarding the delay in those small regions. The yield issues don't affect Ireland and New Zealand but specifically target northern European countries? Bologna. Not putting that on CBOAT either because that's a bunch of GAFers making correlations after the fact, to try and save his face after the yield issues rumors not really panning out due to the upgrades.

Also he's talking about Sony's SDK kits being ready and launching in October...along with any rumors he released about games popping up in multiple sources simultaneously. This suggests to me that he's less of an MS insider, but a third party developer or distributor source. Perhaps even retail related.

The more he posts, the more it will be easy to pin-point the source.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By AlexGlass

@hailinel said:

@alexglass said:

Not saying he doesn't have some inside sources, but he's a very dubious inside source to me. This Kinect rumor is about as solid and definitive as any forumer's comments over the past 6 months.

"If it turns out sales are bad, Microsoft may release a Kinect-less SKU in 2014 and sales may play a role".

So basically the same thing so many forumers have been saying without any way of confirming its validity.

Where's the news? Seems more like he's trying to stir up controversy which is why he's always came across as dubious to me.

What's controversial about a decision to sell a Kinect-less SKU? He's not suggesting it's definitive, only that it's something that Microsoft is honestly considering as a tactic if the holiday sales of the bundled-with-Kinect model aren't up to what they want. And it's frankly not that far-fetched.

You, on the other hand, continually dismiss any Xbox One-related rumor as wild-eyed crazy talk, no matter how sensible it may be and how much evidence there is to support it. Then, when the rumor comes true and Microsoft changes their story, you change your tune as well and continue on as though Microsoft hasn't made one single goddamn mistake in this clusterfuck the company calls console launch preparation.

I think I have contradicted some of these rumors using common sense, not just as wild-eyed talk.

Show me where I said something about the X1 and changed my tune along with MS. If you're referring to the fact that some people are reaching from being able to unplug Kinect as changing the system's philosophy or everything that it is, that's what I believe is the wild-eyed crazy talk.

On that note, people who are spewing that nonsense, would be right if this rumor turns true and MS released a Kinect-less SKU. At that point it would. And that is a big controversy whether or not you want to admit it. It's being debated 24/7 around the net, so it's not hard to get people riled up about it with a rumor like this and a good opportunity for CBOAT to stir the pot.

Besides I don't go around claiming to be a MS inside source though I get accused of that often. So not sure what this has to do with my comments on it. The guy simply comes across to me as someone with an axe to grind. "OMG I gat turrible X1 nus in Sepmer, internets crashez. No...falz alarm...jus kan unplug Kinect. Mabe nxt year? Sony's gat all 2gether tho!"

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling that MS has sold kinect to devs with the knowledge that every Xbox One will have it, and they're kinda stuck with it as a result, despite the fact that they'd probably be better off leaving it out to attain price parity with PS4.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By EXTomar

Hailinel's point is take a close look at what you write. Which part is "wild eyed talk"? Is it the part where Microsoft considers a cheaper version by removing a feature that was difficult for consumers to understand beyond "gee-wiz" or the one where it is all rumors, lies, and slander because Microsoft hasn't been wrong with anyway they've handled the launch?

This is a case where having price and feature differentiation makes a lot of sense. Make Kinect 2.0 an "elite" or "special feature" that justifies the premium price tag while having a second version that is directly competitive along with it packaging an "add-on" that can be ordered at a later date. Right now many possible consumers are skeptical of the package where coming up with a more compelling one that gets people "in the door" is better than people walking away "I'll get it later".

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By AlexGlass

@extomar said:

Hailinel's point is take a close look at what you write. Which part is "wild eyed talk"? Is it the part where Microsoft considers a cheaper version by removing a feature that was difficult for consumers to understand beyond "gee-wiz" or the one where it is all rumors, lies, and slander because Microsoft hasn't been wrong with anyway they've handled the launch?

I think I specified it. But with you, I don't know how many times I've pointed out you never, ever, ever comprehend what you read when you reply to me.

Alexglass: The sky is blue.

Extomar: When you said the sky is green...

Every. Freaking. Time.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well he was utterly wrong about the PS4 release date.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

truthfact6

New inde publsih pocliy not set yet. Postlaunch

considering all the details of the ID@Xbox stuff, seems that that isn't on point too. But who knows untill launch.

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony haven't finalized their indie policy yet? Maybe they are doing some last minute changes in response to MS fairly impressive policy. Depending on how these companies handle it, it could turn their stores into a clusterfuck ala the App Store. We'll see.

And yep, there is another mistake from CBOAT. Wonder what else will be wrong.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

truthfact6

considering all the details of the ID@Xbox stuff, seems that that isn't on point too. But who knows untill launch.

Its just funny because of how much faith Gaf puts on him and tends to spin the wrong stuff.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

truthfact6

Its just funny because of how much faith Gaf puts on him and tends to spin the wrong stuff.

Gaf/Gaming itself is kind of a soul crushing place. If you are not on the 100% pc/sony boat. Any thing positive posted by MS gets spun negatively, and when you point it out you get bullied/shill bs. The overuse of the fucking "moneyhat" meme is crazy...

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

truthfact6

Gaf/Gaming itself is kind of a soul crushing place. If you are not on the 100% pc/sony boat. Any thing positive posted by MS gets spun negatively, and when you point it out you get bullied/shill bs. The overuse of the fucking "moneyhat" meme is crazy...

Dont forget the hilarious SONYDOMINATION gifs that get churned out by the dozen.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

truthfact6

Now I wonder if MS will meet or beat the PS4 release date.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By tescovee

I would love to eat my words, but I don't see it launching before November 25

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@tescovee said:

I would love to eat my words, but I don't see it launching before November 25

A LOT of people on gaf are saying 5 or 7. Latest of maybe 11th.

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mindgarden418

@tescovee:

It isn't so easy for PC gamers on GAF either. I have seen some of the most asinine and ridiculous shit posted over the last month or so. Some people have no fucking clue. But yeah you are right.

GAF tends to think they are the only ones who can think/make predictions but go look to old threads of when the PSP was launching against the DS and how Sony will prove Nintendo to be an embarrassment and other equally stupid shit around the Vita launch.

There are some smart guys and good folks on there, but there is a lot of arrogant, chest-beating self-delusion too.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@the_laughing_man said:

That entire thread has spriled into X1 hate speech. A Xboxone dev on reddit has disputed most of what he said.

An Aruthur from Polygon has called him out on shit.

lol

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hidys said:

@the_laughing_man said:

That entire thread has spriled into X1 hate speech. A Xboxone dev on reddit has disputed most of what he said.

An Aruthur from Polygon has called him out on shit.

lol

He got him on the date at least.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By tescovee

@The_laughing_man really? That's great. Next few years are going to be overwhelming with time/money and options.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tescovee said:

@The_laughing_man really? That's great. Next few years are going to be overwhelming with time/money and options.

Didnt they announce a COD bundle at Gamescom?

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AlexGlass

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@tescovee said:

@the_laughing_man said:

truthfact6

GAF is really turning into stupid in a whole lot of threads especially regarding the Xbox One. GB so far has been more like the old GAF for me than GAF as far as the quality of posting goes and civility. Without really the need to moderate it so much.

To get back on topic...

A quick word on Kinect - I presume there will never be an Xbox One sold without it. You are doing this for developer-related reasons as much as your own. You want all developers to know that they can always implement Kinect technology because it always comes with every system. Would that be correct?

Correct. Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem.

What we have shown really well at Gamescom is the magic of games that use Kinect. We have shown the power of voice control. I'm probably going to piss off your readers unintentionally when I say this; I have an Xbox One at home, and being able to walk in and say "Xbox on", and for the system to recognise me, launch and load my profile, and put my choices of content on the font page is a very magical experience. It makes you think about your relationship with technology in a slightly different way. It's personal. It makes you think, I wish more devices would do this.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/425845/interviews/interview-phil-harrison-on-xbox-ones-core-games-charge/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.