Cortana = Siri for Windows phone and 343 has secrets.

#1 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

This is pretty freaking awesome.

Back in May Polygon reported that Xbox One will ‘talk back’ to you, allowing you to have a possible conversation with your Xbox One and Kinect.

“The Xbox One‘s heavy reliance on the Kinect for voice commands will eventually include two-way conversations, according to two sources who tested out the still-in-development feature.”

“Xbox One’s ability to speak will allow it to function more like the iPhone’s Siri, according to Microsoft officials who presented the feature.”

I had mostly forgotten about Polygon’s report, because there really wasn’t much follow-up or other news sites picking up on it, until today. (Note: Polygon also reports that you can remotely control your friends games on Xbox One via Skype)

http://www.sharkongames.com/say-hello-to-cortana-she-might-say-hi-back/

More:

Microsoft is currently testing and readying a Windows Phone 8.1 update that is believed to include a new personal assistant. ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley reports that the Siri-like feature, codenamed "Cortana" after the Halo character, will let Windows Phone users interact with a handset through voice commands. Windows Phone already includes basic voice commands, but Cortana looks to be a step further with a system that will learn and adapt.

Steve Ballmer has promised a "service-enabled shell" for Microsoft's devices, and Foley claims Cortana is central to this new shell for Windows Phone, Windows, and Xbox One. It's not clear exactly how Cortana will work on Windows Phone, but screenshots of Windows Phone 8.1 earlier this year revealed that Microsoft is already testing the technology. The Verge has obtained additional screenshots of Cortana in action. It looks like Microsoft is testing the ability to pull in weather information, notifications, and calendar events into a single central interface. The interface also includes location information, and access to Bluetooth controls. Microsoft has previously shown concepts of a voice-activated personal assistant for Windows Phone, and it could be ready to now make it a reality.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/12/4722472/microsoft-cortana-windows-phone-personal-assistant?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WinRumors+%28WinRumors%29

And more:

That "shell" is more than just the Metro/Modern/tiled interface. Ballmer continued:

"Our UI will be deeply personalized, based on the advanced, almost magical, intelligence in our cloud that learns more and more over time about people and the world. Our shell will natively support all of our essential services, and will be great at responding seamlessly to what people ask for, and even anticipating what they need before they ask for it."

The coming shell won't simply surface information stored on users' phones, PCs and consoles like a search engine can do today. It also will "broker information among our services to bring them together on our devices in ways that will enable richer and deeper app experiences," Ballmer said in his memo. (That "brokering" is handled by Bing's Satori, which intelligently interconnects entities, i.e., information about people, places and things.)

But other Microsoft execs said that this kind of assistant would be unlikely to appear until somewhere between 2014 and 2016. Earlier this summer, Bing officials told CNET that Microsoft had decided to wait until it had something revolutionary, instead of evolutionary, to debut this kind of new assistant technology.

Cortana is yet another reason why Microsoft is unlikely to sell off Bing. Bing is more than a Web search engine; it's also the indexing and graphing technology that will be powering Microsoft's operating systems, too.

http://www.zdnet.com/cortana-more-on-microsofts-next-generation-personal-assistant-7000020602/

OK I have been dreaming about voice recognition in Halo 5 to control and interact with marines in co-op. But I didn't think about this. That would be pretty bad ass.

Speaking of Halo it seems 343 has some unnanounced projects...

"What is looming on the horizon for the studio is both exciting and daunting," she continued. "We're working on projects that you know about (the TV show and Halo Xbox One) and others that you don't (insert absolutely zero clues here). Our team has blossomed from a few dozen to a few hundred, and it continues to grow at a healthy pace as new people are hired to make sure every team has more than enough resources to do their job, and do it well.

The first Halo game for Xbox One may not be titled Halo 5, though it definitely features Master Chief, who's looking a bit scruffy and down-at-heel after his brush with the Didact. A bunch of Halo Xbox One plot details recently appeared on the Microsoft Store, seemingly by accident.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/62232/halo-xbox-one-developer-343-teases-unannounced-projects/

Interesting...

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

So all five people that own Windows phones will be able to talk to Cortana? OK.

#3 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

This is pretty creepy actually.

#4 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Way to read more than a thread title. Here let me bold it for you:

“The Xbox One‘s heavy reliance on the Kinect for voice commands will eventually include two-way conversations, according to two sources who tested out the still-in-development feature.”

“Xbox One’s ability to speak will allow it to function more like the iPhone’s Siri, according to Microsoft officials who presented the feature.”

It looks like they might integrate with the Xbox One, and the tech will furthermore also be integrated with next-gen search functionality using the cloud and Bing.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Four. Steve Ballmar said "fuck it" and got an iPhone the other day.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I'm not sure- no, I definitely know I don't want this.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15147 posts) -

Call me crazy but I still really like Windows Phone. Most likely upgrading to a Nokia Lumia fairly soon.

#8 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

So will it be voiced by Jen Taylor?

I'm really looking forward to 343's next game now that they've hired people that understand what Halo and the modern "esports" landscape are all about. I hope the tournament they held at PAX is a good indication of their ambitions moving forward, because the production quality was stellar.

#9 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@dharmabum said:

I'm really looking forward to 343's next game now that they've hired people that understand what Halo is all about. I hope the tournament they held at PAX is a good indication of their ambitions moving forward.

While playing Halo 5...

"Hey Cortana, I got it from here...these grunts are easy....why don't you take a break and go look up the closest Domino's to our location, and order me a meat lover's pizza. Use the credit card on my Xbox Live Gold account".

Cortana: "Got it chief!"

#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3779 posts) -

Yea, that's pretty awesome.

#11 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Oh just what I never wanted, a chance to talk to a video game character!

#12 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (3029 posts) -

Having used Siri nd other talking/voice command personal assistants, I can assure you finding you joy pad to interact with XBox One will be easier in most circumstances. Unless teh command is Xbox TV or Xbox Halo, the damn thing will just say, "I..do...not...under...stand?" or "Yes...I.. will need to... look into... that?????"

#13 Edited by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

Siri is handy for doing things that have a cumbersome interface to manipulate. It is easier to say "Siri, create a meeting at 2 pm" than it is to open the calendar and tap out the stuff necessary to create the appointment on the calendar. Otherwise its not that useful, if not worthless, where it just defaults to Google when it can't figure what you are talking about.

I guess nothing is more heroic for Cortana than setting up calendar appointments.

ps. I forgot my initial impression: Clippy Cortana.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Cortana! Shields on!

#17 Posted by isomeri (1415 posts) -

Having Cortana on my phone and on my Xbox sounds creepy and really awesome at the same time. I doubt that it will work as well as I hope, but even giving basic commands to Cortana and other soldiers in the next Halo could really benefit the game.

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -
#20 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Having Cortana on my phone and on my Xbox sounds creepy and really awesome at the same time. I doubt that it will work as well as I hope, but even giving basic commands to Cortana and other soldiers in the next Halo could really benefit the game.

Not enough...I wanna tell her to pay my bills too. Make appointments for me. Buy me games on the market place. Keep track of Asimo's programming and tasks and have him do basic chores like take out the trash and mow the lawn. Basically make me feel like God and she'll be my every day A.I. master slave. And always address me as Chief or God. :)

#21 Edited by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

@alexglass said:

@dharmabum said:

I'm really looking forward to 343's next game now that they've hired people that understand what Halo is all about. I hope the tournament they held at PAX is a good indication of their ambitions moving forward.

While playing Halo 5...

"Hey Cortana, I got it from here...these grunts are easy....why don't you take a break and go look up the closest Domino's to our location, and order me a meat lover's pizza. Use the credit card on my Xbox Live Gold account".

*ten minutes later*

Cortana: I have placed an order for Dom DeLuise's entire filmography on DVD, and "Meat Lovers" on Blu-Ray from redhotpizzaboys.biz.

"GODDAMIT, CORTANA!"

Cortana: Your account has been flagged for review. Reason: Excessive cursing. Returning to dashboard.

#22 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (180 posts) -

I think I would actually buy a WP 8 for this....

#23 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3779 posts) -

This Cortana thing could actually pretty cool. Rumors still seem to be that Microsoft is coming out with a Surface watch at some point, pretty soon. http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/15/4524286/microsoft-surface-watch-smartwatch-testing-rumors

To Watch: "Cortana, buy me pizza and Halo Championship DLC 2."

Cortana's Face in Watch Square: "Purchasing.. Hey, so they have Halo 4 on sale now, and if you buy it like by today, you get the soundtrack for free. You want it or what?"

#24 Posted by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

That would actually get me to use voice dictation on my WP8.

#25 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@shagge said:

@alexglass said:

@dharmabum said:

While playing Halo 5...

*ten minutes later*

Cortana: I have placed an order for Dom DeLuise's entire filmography on DVD, and "Meat Lovers" on Blu-Ray from redhotpizzaboys.biz.

"GODDAMIT, CORTANA!"

Cortana: Your account has been flagged for review. Reason: Excessive cursing. Returning to dashboard.

Fine let's keep it simple then.

"Cortana call Dominos".

Or better yet, the modded version:

Me: "Cortana, show me your boobs!"

Cortana: "But Chief, I'm not sure if that's approp..."

Me: Now Cortana!

Cortana: "Yes Chief! Right away sir!"

Better?

#26 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

@shagge said:

@alexglass said:

@dharmabum said:

While playing Halo 5...

*ten minutes later*

"GODDAMIT, CORTANA!"

"Cortana call Dominos".

Better?

"Better"? I was joking. Chill. Microsoft will survive my lighthearted jabs.

#27 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@shagge said:

@alexglass said:

@shagge said:

@alexglass said:

@dharmabum said:

While playing Halo 5...

*ten minutes later*

"GODDAMIT, CORTANA!"

"Cortana call Dominos".

Better?

"Better"? I was joking. Chill. Microsoft will survive my lighthearted jabs.

So was I.

#28 Posted by big_jon (5783 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I like my Windows Phone just fine, don't be a jerk.

#29 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@hailinel said:

I like my Windows Phone just fine, don't be a jerk.

I've heard good things about them. They just have a very small marketshare compared to Android and Apple.

#30 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@big_jon It's kind of undeniable. Have you seen Nokia's ads? There's a room full of people and only one person in the entire room has a Windows Phone and he's like "fuck those other guys with their popular phones".

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

@alexglass: Just read a little defensively to me, is all.

#32 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@shagge said:

@alexglass: Just read a little defensively to me, is all.

Thought the perverted joke might give it away. Cortana how do you like being on my Xbone?

#33 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

@alexglass: Yeah, my bad. For as much as I rag on people for missing obvious jokes, the egg is squarely upon my face.

#34 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Call me crazy but I still really like Windows Phone. Most likely upgrading to a Nokia Lumia fairly soon.

You're not crazy! Windows Phone is kick ass! This is coming from someone who owns the now essentially defunct WP7, too. Windows Phone 8 is so fucking beautiful. Can't wait to get me one of the new wave of phones coming out.

#35 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (529 posts) -

So, what happens to my phone when the rampancy starts setting in?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.