Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Destiny, worth getting?

Avatar image for theegravedigger
    TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Bought an Xbox One. Is Destiny worth buying, given the preferential treatment being being given to the PS4 version?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Maybe for a very good sale price, but I ended up considering the game to be a rather large disappointment. Perhaps wait for a GOTY edition with all the DLC, because the amount of content in the base game doesn't feel like it's enough for a game like this, IMO. The loot system is almost non-existent as well. You never find anything good from a random drop. The game is all about saving up tokens earned from daily and weekly activities, and turning those in for weapons and armor that are actually decent. Personally, I think it's a horrible system.

If you want a loot game, I'd suggest Diablo III now, or the new Dragon Age in two weeks. If you want a shooter, Far Cry 4 is also out in two weeks, or maybe the new Call of Duty game will actually be good this time.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yea it's really hard to recommended

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

$20.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You'd be getting the real short end of the stick. The game already doesn't have a ton of content, but you'll get even less with an Xbox.

But a GOTY edition (or whatever they call it) with all the DLC would totally be worth it.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The current sale is $10 off, and I didn't think it was worth it. Thanks guys, I'll hold off.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By kindgineer

I've sunk over 300 hours into it so far across PS4/Xbox One. Depends on what you want.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

@theegravedigger: I think the real question is do you put gameplay above literally everything else when playing games? Destiny has almost no story, no side characters, no personality. In order to get the most out of it you will be doing the same things over and over again. I wanted to get a rifle from a vendor, which meant every day I would go to a bounty robot and take out bounties to earn points for that gun. Each bounty is worth from 50-100 reputation points and I needed to grind out about 6,000 of them. It took about a week but I got it. Now you need to play a whole bunch more of the same missions you played to get the gun in order to level it up. Now you leveled up the gun but you need to go to a specific planet and look for randomly spawning resources to collect so you can use them to upgrade the gun.

In the middle of this there will be no significant story, no exposition, nothing even remotely tied in to a narrative. So if you're the type of person that doesn't mind repetition as long as you enjoy the base game mechanics - decent first person shooting in this case - then you will probably enjoy Destiny. If you're the kind of person that really needs narrative to drive the experience forward then there is very little of that here.

Also you will need to have friends, or make friends to fully take advantage of everything the game has to offer because at one point you just can't do things by yourself.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jared

I just traded it in. It's not the game for me. I'm a huge Halo fan but this game is nothing like that in terms of story and mission design in my opinion. The game is an MMO and a grind fest at that. Those are not bad things if an MMO has a solid story and lore but neither of those are done well in Destiny. Instead of a game that focus's on a main character like in Halo or Mass Effect the main character in Destiny seems meaningless. The story and world are also a mess with its multiple forms of currency, poorly explained enemies and very little lore to make you feel immersed in the world of Destiny.

Like some of the GB staff Destiny is my most disappointing game of 2014. I traded it in for Bayonetta 2 :)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Destiny's a weird one, it just depends on what loot you get and how much you enjoy shooting whichever guns you happen to pick up; if you go through the whole game with nothing special I can't imagine the game ever hooking you.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good decision to not get it. It starts off seeming EXTREMELY promising, and it starts off seeming very large, but as you get deeper into what you need to do in order to 'progress' - which, in the case of Destiny is EXCLUSIVELY leveling up, since there is literally only one new piece of content to play after the story and it is behind a level minimum - you start to see how different it is than what you might first have thought. It seems to be very large, and it seems to have a ton of attention to detail, but in the end, there are very few enemy types, and the only thing to do in the game world is shoot enemies. I continued to play it because I wanted to play the raid, which is hidden behind a level minimum, and after three weeks of playing the same six "strike" missions over and over again in order to reach that level (none of the story missions reward you again after you beat them one time), I finally just stopped caring. It's literally one map. Once I play that, then what? Six missions turns to seven that I get to replay over and over again? I decided that I didn't enjoy the gameplay enough (which is very strong, by the way) to validate playing it any longer.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go ahead and say not really

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bwheeeler

no

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By theacidskull

@theegravedigger: That depends really. What do you, as a player, want from from Destiny? If the answer is anything other than Gameplay then I urge you to avoid it, because the whole experience is based around grinding. There are no real characters, there's a serious lack of lore, and there is absolutely zero story in Destiny.

So unless you like mindlessly killing random enemies and going from point A to B to look for various items, it'll be best to skip this one and get something with a bit more substance, like Wolfenstein.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

@theegravedigger: That depends really. What do, as a player, want from from Destiny? If the answer is anything other than Gameplay then I urge you to avoid it, because the whole experience is based around grinding. There are no real characters, there's a serious lack of lore, and there is absolutely zero story in Destiny.

So unless you like mindlessly killing random enemies and going from point A to B to look for various items, it'll be best to skip this one and get something with a bit more substance, like Wolfenstein.

I will second the recommendation of Wolfenstein - really great FPS.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@humanity said:

@theacidskull said:

@theegravedigger: That depends really. What do, as a player, want from from Destiny? If the answer is anything other than Gameplay then I urge you to avoid it, because the whole experience is based around grinding. There are no real characters, there's a serious lack of lore, and there is absolutely zero story in Destiny.

I will second the recommendation of Wolfenstein - really great FPS.

Yup, plus the game actually has diverse and interesting characters.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly with Sunset Overdrive, and the whole set of November games, I would say no. There just isn't enough to justify sixty dollars, and the DLC seems shitty.

I had fun with Destiny, but the stupid loot, leveling, and repetition make it a bad purchase. I'd wait for the Master Chief collection.

Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Solid mechanics kept me coming back (I don't care about loot too much, though Destiny's loot does hold some enticement in this regard), but the overall story was completely useless and the ending highly unsatisfactory (think Halo 2).

Unless you have friends who are really into it, there are certainly many other better games to get these days.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By whitegreyblack

I am one of the "catered to" PS4 Destiny owners, and I would not buy the game if I could do it all over again. The dearth of content is a real drag - it does not matter how good it plays, if there is nothing compelling to play (I cannot imagine having even LESS content to play on Xbox One!). Gun to my head, I would say I got my $60 worth, hours-wise; but it was not the best use of my time when better and bigger games are out there.

This game really does scratch an itch for some players, though. It really depends what you are after. Therefore, I'd recommend you wait for it to hit 20 bucks unless you are really wanting something to play on the Xbox One and nothing else is filling that role.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it on release day, played it for a week and hit the endgame. Then I realized there's no real content besides the raid, which doesn't look interesting enough to justify 60 dollars. So, I returned it while GameStop was still giving 40 bucks/copy back and bought Shadow of Mordor. Highly recommend not buying this, unless you can find it for 15 dollars or less (including DLC)

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I would say no. As someone who has played far too much of that game than should be sanely possible, I think the ship is sailing away from Destiny. November is going to bring a ton of new games, and I bet Destiny won't be able to compete with them. My advice is to keep your options open.

If you're looking for a mindless shooter, there are better types of those games than Destiny at the moment. Try Wolfenstein. If it's the preferential treatment that's bothering you, just stay away. I'm a PS4 owner, and even I'm disgusted by what the fuck they're doing.

Mikey1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you consider playing through a pretty bland first person shooter for 8-10 hours and then playing the same strikes/missions over again repeatedly to be fun, then stay far away from it. This coming from someone who played way too much of that game. It's an endless cycle of wasted time and dice rolls once you get to the raid. At that point I had to raise my hands and walk away from it.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theegravedigger: Not to be mean, but you probably could have found this info out from looking at other threads made about Destiny. It's a highly controversial (seemingly) decision. Many say it's not worth it, some say it is. I'd just say maybe go look through the plenty of others threads about Destiny. You might could get your answer from there, as this has been talked over pretty extensively.

My two cents: It isn't enough content for $60. It doesn't want to be an MMO, but it's also trying to be. It has a lack of content and an identity crisis. Only one raid is not enough post-game content for the price.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say not, especially with all the other games available for X:ONE.

The game just isn't worth it unless you like playing the same stuff over and over again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.