Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Do You Find the Mandatory Kinect Use Intrusive/Offensive?

• 87 results
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Do You Find the Mandatory Kinect Use Intrusive/Offensive? (367 votes)

Yes 70%
    No 30%

I've seen this springing up over the past couple days and wanted to get a better idea of how the Giant Bomb populace felt about the forced implementation of Kinect in the living room. Are you nervous about privacy? Does the potential for MS to charge you based on how many people are in the room unnerve you?

Personally, I think it's utter bullshit.

• 
    WiredFolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By WiredFolf

I have a Kinect already and the stupid thing acts up when anyone in the house says Xbox. It'll even mess up a streaming movie on Netflicks just because someone said Xbox. I don't see this new one proving to be any less annoying.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

They'd only force it as a way of ensuring that the thing is hooked up so that Kinect features and game developers can insure a level of functionality common to every console, and for that and the fact that it's actually a pretty cool and useful way of interfacing with a device, I'm okay.

I have a camera on my laptop and it's the device I'm glued to the most for the most part. Am I paranoid about being watched? Not really. If anyone is watching they're either seeing some really boring crap of me staring at the screen or they're getting a free show. I guess the camera having a free view of the entire living area should be more unnerving, but my paranoia at that ends with the idea that miniature cameras could potentially be anywhere watching your every movement in the first place, or you could be targeted by miniature flying robots with guns. Besides, I'm not sure what Microsoft has to gain from spying on the entire populace of neck-bearded Call of Duty players.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

While I don't think Microsoft is going to be sending info to Homeland Security if I say something questionable or anything, it just comes off as another example of the console not being designed for an improved customer experience.

What do I gain from being constantly watched?

What do I gain from the thing possibly monitoring how many people are in my room and shutting down a movie if believes too many people are in the room?

What do I gain from it scanning my room and targeting ads to me based on what it sees?

It just seems like it is a lot more of a money making scheme than a device geared to make my leisure time better.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arabes

The thing I don't like about it is the lack of choice. I fucking hate it when anyone tries to push their agenda on to me by telling me what I want.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hold on, have they confirmed what you can and can't turn off?

worst case scenario - block the camera and sound input, use the buttons like any sensible energy-conserving lifeform.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

How about "Unnecessary" since I would rather watch TV on the TV. Also, even thought they claimed to have made the Kinect more powerful and accurate that still doesn't solve the problem with many living rooms too small or cluttered to accommodate it.

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's one thing for public places to be under camera surveillance but I expect to have total privacy in my house.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if people want to spy on my sat in my pants playing games then they are welcome.

i just hope they are not offended by how often i masturbate and what i do with that rubber fist

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm really surprised there hasn't been more talk about the need to always have the Kinect connected at all times. It's somewhat worrying how unworried we are about it, guess that's a sign of the times where we don't mind being spied on.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I find this Kinect business deeply offensive. It goes directly against the long standing traditions of my people, who, for centuries, have prized not using their arms in front of a television display. WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST MY PEOPLE, MICROSOFT RACISTS?!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EXTomar

The idea of waving your arm to change the channel or volume is silly when a perfect good HMI for controlling the TV that exists now that is easy to understand and universally accepted. :)

Also the changing the volume by voice command is a bit tricky. It isn't that it is any harder than any other Voice Recognition but you are in accessing the control interfering with the control. Kind of like a game that uses a touch interface but the thing you are controlling is under the finger.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten

Intrusive, probably, offensive? No.

If that was the case I would feel my PC, Google, Microsoft, Sony, EA, and eeeveryone else was being offensive with the stuff they put into things.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ha, It's going to be the only way Microsoft gets a Kinect in my home. I'm skeptical because the coverage I saw of Kinect games was either garbage that sort of worked or was completely busted. If it's a better Kinect then there's something to be hopeful for. Also, I'd like a way to make sure it shuts off because I don't really want someone hacking the system to see me watch the weather channel in the nude and put that on the internet.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither its more like a possible waste of money.

I'm sure its going to jack up the price a little bit. For how much use it gets with the system that's still to be seen. Sure I guess I can tell the system to play the game or just hit the button on the controller just to start it. More options and probably more money for the asking price. If they could slash the price by $50 or $100 with not giving it, I'd get it with out it I think.

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By veiasma

After watching an extended demo of the Kinect 2, I really have no problem with it now.

It makes Kinect 1 look primitive.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They say you can turn it off, but why does it have to be connected to have the xbox work if I can turn it off? Why couldn't I just unplug it? can you just say "kinect turn off" or "kinect turn on" how are we to know when its actually off? I just don't like the idea , I don't have a kinect cause I always thought they were stupid. Now they are going to make me buy one and plug it in, great!

One point against the new xbox,

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By THRICE_604

There is absolutely no reason that the Kinect should be required. There is nothing that can be done that could not be done with a guide and a few button presses. And without feeling like an idiot. I don't even use Siri on my phone when I know at a fundamental level it is actually faster than typing out a Google search or in situations where I can't or shouldn't be typing.

Speaking of guide have they said whether the Xbox logo on the controller actually is the guide button? It looks like its just a light that is on to show that the controller is on?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee

Who needs Big Brother forcing you to put a camera in your house when it can be dressed up and sold to you as a product?

The first nasty step will be when it's used to sell you shit. Have a baby? How about some diapers? A dog or cat? Here's some pet food. Then down the road government starts talking more and more about the endless "terrorists" in our midst and begins to demand information from companies like Microsoft. Say the wrong thing and you get raided by a goon-squad, just like this poor bastard.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

@leftie68 said:

My initial reaction to this poll was..."Really, what kind of concipiracy theory loon do you think I am, it is a video game device for crying out loud. Get over yourself." Then I moseyed on over to ign and found a link to this article...

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Wow...is all I have to say. The fact that Microsoft is even thinking about this enough to patent it is mind-boggling.

There was a whole other thread regarding patents and stuff like that.

Just because they patented it means jackshit.

It's just another way of earning money in case some other company decides to do it.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I understand why they're doing it, but I still don't like it.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It doesn't bother me at all, but it isnt' really compatible with the way I use my Xbox right now, which is through my computer monitor.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spraynardtatum

They definitely haven't made a case for it being mandatory. I think it's important to talk about the security issues of the device and to dig into what ways it could be exploited. I would really like Microsoft to weigh in on their thought process. They're the ones that know exactly what it's doing and they need to be extremely meticulous on how they explain themselves.

It's wild stuff. There is definitely the potential for this device to be used in a devious way. A line needs to be drawn. What is acceptable and what is overstepping their bounds? I feel like they need to be as explicit as possible about that kind of stuff. Right now they seem to be avoiding these questions at every turn, though to be fair they've avoided answering most questions about the console haha.

I really think Microsoft needs to make addressing the security issues of the Xbox One a huge priority with what they've just announced. If they do and everything seems safe than there is some cool stuff here. It's just really dipping its toes in some murky water.

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with webcams, but the thing I don't like about the Kinect is that it is collecting data about you. This is not a discreet difference, it's pretty big. I don't think Microsoft wants to take secret naked pictures of me, and I don't have any ruinous dark secrets to hide, but that isn't the point. I don't like that the idea of having a corporate-run security camera in my house is becoming normalized (or is being marketed as "normal"/OK). While the Kinect 2 might be innocuous today, what will it be in 5 or 10 years?

There's also a creepy element of infantilization in a corporation reading your emotions and reacting to satiate you.

I guess the question I have is: Where does corporate observation stop? This is complex stuff and obviously we're all willing to give up some amount of privacy for convenience, but what am I actually gaining from the Kinect and why does Microsoft NEED to collect data about me? I would also not buy a webcam that was always watching/listening to me. Why can't I unplug it? I just want to play video games. :(

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nicked

I don't have a problem with webcams, but the thing I don't like about the Kinect is that it is collecting data about you. This is not a discreet difference, it's pretty big. I don't think Microsoft wants to take secret naked pictures of me, and I don't have any ruinous dark secrets to hide, but that isn't the point. I don't like that the idea of having a corporate-run security camera in my house is becoming normalized (or is being marketed as "normal"/OK). While the Kinect 2 might be innocuous today, what will it be in 5 or 10 years?

There's also a creepy element of infantilization in a corporation reading your emotions and reacting to satiate you.

I guess the question I have is: Where does corporate observation stop? This is complex stuff and obviously we're all willing to give up some amount of privacy for convenience, but what am I actually gaining from the Kinect and why does Microsoft NEED to collect data about me? I would also not buy a webcam that was always watching/listening to me. Why can't I unplug it? I just want to play video games. :(

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Is it really mandatory or can i just turn it off and use good old buttons?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't because my wife and I love Dance Central, my son loves Double Fine's Happy Action games and I'm just not as sensitive to things like ad targeting and privacy issues as most seem to be - but I can totally understand and sympathise with those who do.

Raises a lot of interesting questions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Don Mattrick wants to watch me jerk off all he has to do is ask.

Also remember when you make these topics; you are not being forced to buy it. I hate that this 'insult' comes with the presupposition that you bought a 450 dollar machine that clearly says how it works. It's not 'mandatory Kinect' it's 'it has the features of a Kinect'. This is like saying it has 'mandatory 8 gigs of RAM'.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy way to defeat camera on kinect, stick a bit of cardboard over the camera lens. Can't see you that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicked: I think the 'corporate overlords' is a little much. Remember that they're not installing security cameras to watch you, you're paying them 400+ dollars and bringing the camera and installing it yourself. The conflate that with telescreen tyranny is a little hysterical.

As for infantilization from them reading your emotions; talk to any PR or customer service agent. That is literally their job. Your waitress is emotionally manipulating you too.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TorMasturba

@wiredfolf said:

I have a Kinect already and the stupid thing acts up when anyone in the house says Xbox. It'll even mess up a streaming movie on Netflicks just because someone said Xbox. I don't see this new one proving to be any less annoying.

They said that the original publicly official Kinect was a bastardized version of what the prototype had been due to Microsoft thinking that it would've cost too much in consumer's eyes. As a result we got a piece of half rotting tech garbage instead of what it should've been.

I've a sneaking impression that this new one will be as powerful as the prototype, if not more powerful. With some ingenuity and improved performance software and hardware. I mean Jeff on the podcast said that Microsoft had 6 journalists line up in front of the Kinect and only 2 weren't fully working. A marked improvement in my eyes from hardly working at all in some instances with only a single person standing in front of the camera.

And especially it shows that considering that they've still got several months before release left then this too could be markedly better than how it was at the X1 (Is X1 a valid shortened console name?) release event.

Either way, this gen is going to go the other way round for me I suspest, I'm getting a PS4 first this gen, waiting 2-3 years and then an X1. (Preferably second hand console if there isn't such an issue similar to the RROD/YLOD.) We'll see how things shape up though, our decisions may change as we hear and see more in the coming months before the releases start happening.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about the camera for the PS4? Do you find that intrusive because I'm pretty sure you'll need it hooked for any of that stupid light bar shit.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse said:

If Don Mattrick wants to watch me jerk off all he has to do is ask.

I have to admit it. I pulled my dick out for a second once when I was playing DC wondering if anyone at Harmonix or Microsoft would see it.

But I agree with you. If you buy and set up a camera that you know is scanning you and your surroundings be aware of the actions you just took and act accordingly.

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicked: I think the 'corporate overlords' is a little much. Remember that they're not installing security cameras to watch you, you're paying them 400+ dollars and bringing the camera and installing it yourself. The conflate that with telescreen tyranny is a little hysterical.

As for infantilization from them reading your emotions; talk to any PR or customer service agent. That is literally their job. Your waitress is emotionally manipulating you too.

I kind of feel like you're putting words in my mouth. I'm only attempting to be forward-thinking and not take it for granted that a Microsoft or a Sony would never ever ever in a million years do anything exploitative or invasive. I don't think anyone is arguing that you aren't buying and installing this product yourself, so I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. I do think there's a difference between interfacing with a human and an algorithm, but perhaps "infantilization" was a poor choice of words?

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Someones going to make an easy buck off of Kinect blackout covers.

More than anything I just want it to be nonessential for navigation, as long as I can do everything with the pad I have no problem with just laying it face down or something, More than anything I just don't want it picking up the dog or cat while I'm trying to play games, although getting a dragon hat stuck on the dogs back in Happy action theater was pretty good.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I've come to not like cameras pointed at me in any scenario. I cover my Macbook camera and turn around my Kinect and Playstation Eye when I'm not using them as well. Is that me being paranoid? Probably. I just feel like someone is always watching me and it feels weird.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, it's terrible.

I feel tricked into buying a product I have no interest in actually using. There hasn't been anything that interested me in the Kinect since it came out, both conceptually and based on the games that came out for it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss

@rafaelfc said:

I feel tricked into buying a product I have no interest in actually using.

Wait, how are you being tricked into buying something you don't want if you already know you don't want it before buying it?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rafaelfc

@rafaelfc said:

Wait, how are you being tricked into buying something you don't want if you already know you don't want it before buying it?

Because if I get an xbox one i'll be forced to get a kinect with it.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Couldn't care less. My Kinect has been plugged in since 2010. I don't care.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fairly certain you don't have to actually use it. It just needs to be plugged in. It comes with the system and offers kind of neat user recognition (a passive action) so I really don't see the issue.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

@professoress said:

@rafaelfc said:

It comes bundled with the system.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@rafaelfc said:

@professoress said:

@rafaelfc said:

Yes I know, and that is precisely why it annoys me.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes especially when Kinect's real name is SkyNet.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

In case you haven't seen it already, I think today's Penny Arcade strip pretty much sums it up:

No Caption Provided

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xyzygy

@rafaelfc said:

@xyzygy said:

@rafaelfc said:

@professoress said:

@rafaelfc said:

Yes I know, and that is precisely why it annoys me.

But you said that you'll be tricked into buying another product. You won't be tricked into buying anything, it comes with the console and there is no money scam. Just hook it up and forget about it. You can probably just hook it up and put it behind your tv or on the floor behind your entertainment section.

I agree that it's dumb that it's required, but I also see why. If a developer opts to use the kinect, it is now built into the console and will make for more seamless development. It's to assist developers and create a standard. I won't be using it much, and I don't feel that it intrudes. I'll just put it in front of my TV, probably use it for navigating the menus and facial recognition, and if I'm lazy I'll pick up the controller. It's really not an issue, especially if it's coming bundled.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leftie68 said:

My initial reaction to this poll was..."Really, what kind of concipiracy theory loon do you think I am, it is a video game device for crying out loud. Get over yourself." Then I moseyed on over to ign and found a link to this article...

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Wow...is all I have to say. The fact that Microsoft is even thinking about this enough to patent it is mind-boggling.

There was a whole other thread regarding patents and stuff like that.

Just because they patented it means jackshit.

It's just another way of earning money in case some other company decides to do it.

It still shows the direction they want to take. On any case I don't think it's far fetched to see Sony doing the same sort of thing considering they also have a camera functionality on the PS4 and they also have a whole movie division.

Has it been confirmed that you'll have to "Kinect" (UGH...what a bad pun) the Kinect to the box?

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, I still don't think it will work in my apartment though. But we shall see!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I thought MS came out with a statement saying that you can turn the Kinect off entirely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.