Do you like the DRM change?

• 107 results
Edited 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Do you like the DRM change? (396 votes)

Like the change 57%
Liked it the way it was 19%
Doesn't bother me 24%

Am I the only one bummed by this change? The choices that they were making, even though it wasn't viewed well with the internet, was really neat. To be able to play games from the could and not need to worry about the disks or updates and all that crap is probably now gone. I just think it is a drastic change from everything they were saying recently. I wasn't a big fan of the DRM crap, but it was a neat idea.

I still want a PS4 because to me it seemed better with Indie games as well as exclusives, but I still wanted a Xbox One as it was.

#1 Edited by DarknessMyOldFriend (257 posts) -

You aren't the only one. Very depressing.

#3 Posted by wemibelec90 (1839 posts) -

I think I'm more annoyed with Microsoft for backing down from their ideas. The fact that they didn't have the balls to stick to their guns means I respect them way less now. This digital future is coming, like it or not. Microsoft was just trying to get in on the ground floor.

#4 Edited by CaLe (4056 posts) -

I will buy any console that has a game I want. I will go as far as to upgrade my PC to play a single game. Everything that isn't the game is periphery, I just don't care.

#5 Edited by Marokai (3151 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

I think I'm more annoyed with Microsoft for backing down from their ideas. The fact that they didn't have the balls to stick to their guns means I respect them way less now. This digital future is coming, like it or not. Microsoft was just trying to get in on the ground floor.

Oh my god nothing about this idea somehow impede this mythical "digital future" from happening you will still be able to buy games digitally on day one for most games if that is how you choose to live your life why do you people insist on this sociopathic notion that all other people must be forced into your way of lifewhatiswrongwithyoupeopleoinrnwghhhhh

#6 Posted by Draxyle (1899 posts) -

No matter what great ideas they had, the forced 24 hour check-in was unacceptable.

What they really should have done was an opt-in program that allowed you to share/be shared games under the penalty of the 24 hour check in. Forcing absolutely everyone onto this system was a bad, bad, bad idea no matter what. It's tone deaf to the needs of the global market to the benefit of a select few.

#7 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6011 posts) -
Pretty Interesting

#8 Posted by kaos_cracker (714 posts) -

@draxyle: If the same plan that they originally had was say, 5 years from now, nobody would care. I'm guessing most of the world wasn't ready for this style of gaming yet apparently. Not everyone can do the internet check i, so an opt-in program would have been perfect. Even my internet wasn't at the recommended speed they had, but I liked their ideas.

#9 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

They could still enact literally all of the good bits if they still wanted to. There was no genuine technical incompatibility between old feature x and new feature y which made it an either/or situation, just arbitrary decisions about what you'd get in return for giving up the other stuff.

If they'd offered these features as options instead of forcing them on everybody, the reaction would have been the mirror opposite of what it was. You wanna play without disc swapping? Then opt into this online check. You wanna make your game library available to others? Then opt into this online check. You don't wanna use those features? That's perfectly fine too. Simple.

#10 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

I'm pissed they changed their DRM restrictions, mostly because I wanted Microsoft to lose badly this gen to Sony and for that loss to send a message to developers that DRM does in fact matter to gamers. Still its a good day for gamers and the fact that people who will buy the X1 won't get horrible DRM like they were going to is awesome (but should have always been the norm).

#11 Edited by musclerider (597 posts) -

I'm pissed they changed their DRM restrictions, mostly because I wanted Microsoft to lose badly this gen to Sony and for that loss to send a message to developers that DRM does in fact matter to gamers. Still its a good day for gamers and the fact that people who will buy the X1 won't get horrible DRM like they were going to is awesome (but should have always been the norm).

Some terrible people just want to see the world burn.

#12 Edited by AnalogVinyl (17 posts) -

I am thinking that this generation of consoles would be MUCH more interesting if they had the balls to go through with it.

One major thing to note is that the friends circle thing is going away, according to the post: "The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray. "

that sharing games with the family was a step in the right direction. To have that feature we had the babysitter checking in on us, something a lot of people didn't want or couldn't do. The issue some people will still have is the always on Kinect, the immovable HDD, the price, and the slew of uninteresting games (being a bevy of even more FPS games).

For me it's not an issue cause I have been wanting to get away from the MS ecosystem for some time, this is the perfect time to reset things. I am sure a lot of people here agree with me on that.

#13 Edited by mrfluke (5351 posts) -

@marokai said:

@wemibelec90 said:

Oh my god nothing about this idea somehow impede this mythical "digital future" from happening you will still be able to buy games digitally on day one for most games if that is how you choose to live your life why do you people insist on this sociopathic notion that all other people must be forced into your way of lifewhatiswrongwithyoupeopleoinrnwghhhhh

@draxyle said:

No matter what great ideas they had, the forced 24 hour check-in was unacceptable.

What they really should have done was an opt-in program that allowed you to share/be shared games under the penalty of the 24 hour check in. Forcing absolutely everyone onto this system was a bad, bad, bad idea no matter what. It's tone deaf to the needs of the global market to the benefit of a select few.

you guys, are geniuses. always renews my faith in the internet when i get extremely sensible posts like this.

specifically talking about draxyle and marokai

#14 Posted by Halfdeaf (71 posts) -

@draxyle: Well put.

I'm pretty much all digital now and while I liked the overall direction MS was taking, they went about in an idiotic manner. You can't force consumers into you restrictive ecosystem, you have to entice them with something of value to make them believers in your system. Steam, for example, has earned the trust of a loyal fan base and for MS to expect that gamers would embrace the new Xbox ecosystem in the same way overnight, without any indication or example of it being ready to compete with Steam sales and the overall pricing model, just shows how out of touch and unprepared for this shift in consumer behavior they are.

#15 Posted by TheFridge (95 posts) -

I'm bummed.

I wanted a console built for the future.

If this console cycle is going to last as long as the previous, I want a console built to be relevant in 3 years time. Those policies as horrid as they were, were a taste of where we should be heading.

I don't want a console where things of the time are bolted on half assed like what happened with the 360.

I want a future where disks aren't in my way. Where i don't have to change a disk.

Not to mention all those server side "cloud" based experiences (like drivatars) are less compelling if ppl aren't connecting online.

I may sound dumb and be against majority, but I really did like where Microsoft was heading. I will still buy both day one though.

#16 Posted by jsnyder82 (765 posts) -

@marokai said:

@wemibelec90 said:

I agree with you, but GOOD GOD, MAN! Use some punctuation!

#17 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

I love the change.

One possible dark future avoided!

#18 Posted by Marokai (3151 posts) -

@jsnyder82: Apologies. I promise I actually have solid writing skills, this topic is just slowing killing me, I think.

#19 Edited by believer258 (12210 posts) -

I might actually buy the Xbone now, if they can release some exclusives that I care about.

I find it hard to care about any Halo past 3. Fun, but not essential as far as I'm concerned. I'm not huge into racing games, so Forza 5 isn't going to sell me (though Forza Horizon was really, really good). And Fable has never really interested me. That Project Spark looks interesting but it doesn't sell a console. Titanfall is also going to be on PC.

What I'm getting at is that now MS's console is something I'm wary about purchasing due to a lack of games, not because I disagree with how they treat customers. Though, to be honest, the 360's ad-ridden dashboad was enough to push me away from the 360, so if the Xbone* does that again then it's going to take a whole list of exclusives to make me want it, and not just a select few.

*Oh, and as long as they keep the stupid fucking name, I'm going to keep using the stupid fucking nickname, Xbone.

#20 Posted by granderojo (1793 posts) -

I hate the change because I love Steam. Any console that's more like Steam would have been welcomed.

#21 Edited by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

I like it, but it's inconsequential to how I feel about the system as a whole. Fact is that Microsoft caused this mess in the first place and then they retcon the whole fucking thing because they realize that people are going in droves to their competition, but it doesn't mean that they'll stay this way. They have incentive to change now when they're working for the hearts, minds, and money of consumers... but what happens a year from now? Or two years? Do they flip flop again and go back to what they initially planned after they have your money?

I like the idea of a digital future, but we aren't there yet. And to expect the consumer to shoulder the entire burden is moronic. Plus let's be real here, discs are not going anywhere. If CD's are still selling at a rate of 210 million copies per year despite the fact that iTunes has been around for over 12 years there is obviously revenue there. Companies, no matter how much they want to push digital, are not going to eliminate an entire section of the marketplace. At the end of the day you will still be able to buy digital copies and use the cloud, nothing is fucking changing.

However the biggest turn off for me in regards to Microsoft is Don Mattrick. He is still a massive tool and anything he's associated with from this day forward, this day in this case being last week when he opened his dumb yap to Gametrailers, I'm avoiding like it's the bubonic plague.

One thing I'm interested in is what EA does. We all know, no matter how hard they deny it, that they had some part in this. For them to abandon Online Passes and be featured exclusively at the MS press conference despite the past two years being at Sony's is just glaringly obvious. I'm going to piss myself laughing if they come out and go, "Hey, you know how we said no online passes? We lied."

#22 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Well at least now we won't have to watch people unsuccessfully compare it to Steam.

#23 Edited by Hunter5024 (5980 posts) -

I'm happy they did it, although I'm a little disappointed at the same time. In order to stand by their original policies and still be competitive, they would have had to institute crazy cool shit, and I was interested to see what they came up with. Honestly, since I don't really care how well the xbox does as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on the industry as a whole, I wouldn't have minded if they had taken a risk for the sake of innovating upon the digital retail space. Though the way they were talking really didn't make it sound like that was the plan. So ehh. I still think the PS4 looks cooler.

#24 Edited by Hilbert (349 posts) -

Aaahhhhhhhhh c'mon really!!

Fuck off !!

Really?

#25 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4500 posts) -

I hate the change because I love Steam. Any console that's more like Steam would have been welcomed.

lol...

@evilnights said:

Well at least now we won't have to watch people unsuccessfully compare it to Steam.

Gotta wait just a bit longer.

#26 Edited by KentonClay (259 posts) -

I don't really care about it, personally.

I try to always buy new, don't like discs, and think that 24 hours without internet access is a quaint and primitive concept. (Like those hunter-gatherer tribes that still exist in Africa). Microsoft's policies were essentially bludgeoning the consumer into being more like me, and they're pretty much doing the Lord's work at that point.

#27 Posted by ConfusedOwl (972 posts) -

I'm still with the PS4 here but the fact that they changed it is a good thing. Maybe if sometime down the line they have some games I actually want I'll buy one after a price drop.

#28 Posted by kaos_cracker (714 posts) -

@analogvinyl: They said in some post that the family sharing won't be day one and some policies will either be removed or come back later

#29 Posted by truckington (54 posts) -

Why remove 100% of the benefits of the DRM instead of shifting the DRM specifically to the optional stuff? Like keep the family share for digital games exactly like it was but add an always online/24hr check in only to consoles actively using games through the family share? I don't see how people could complain about it if they did that, and it keeps one of the, potentially, coolest features they announced for the One originally...

#30 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (469 posts) -

I'm pretty neutral on the DRM stuff, but I really hate that this means they're getting rid of the family sharing and digital copies of physical games. Both of those features seemed hugely progressive and were what made me interested in the console in the first place. Now it's just a more expensive, less powerful PS4 and I could not give less of a fuck about it.

Also, I think that them announcing this so soon was an enormous mistake. They could had waited about a month and put out statement along the lines of "We've been working hard since E3 to re-engineer the entire Xbox One infrastructure to adhere to YOUR consumer demands" instead of what it feels like now of "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK" and it would have felt way less desperate a move.

#31 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -

I am glad that they are trashing their anti consumer practices, but it a damn shame that it is pretty much an "all or nothing" concept.

They cooked up some great ideas with the family share plan, the ability to download your stuff from the cloud to any Xbox One, and the lack of a disc needed to run a game once installed. All of that is gone, and in the end, that might be worse in the end.

I agree with the idea that the 24 hour check in should have been an opt in, and it would have solved a lot of problems.

#32 Edited by AngriGhandi (792 posts) -

Customer outrage forces a company to change its poorly-received plans in order to appease said customers and earn their money? Sounds like exactly how consumer-driven capitalism is supposed to work.

So... yeah! I'm pretty stoked.

Between this and the ending of Mass Effect 3, it's been a pretty amazing couple of years for game companies learning to fear and respect their customer base.

I love it.

#33 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Customer outrage forces a company to change its poorly-received plans in order to appease said customers and earn their money? Sounds like exactly how consumer-driven capitalism is supposed to work.

So... yeah! I'm pretty stoked.

Between this and the ending of Mass Effect 3, it's been a pretty amazing couple of years for game companies learning to fear and respect their customer base.

I love it.

but that makes us entitled!

#34 Edited by granderojo (1793 posts) -

@evilnights said:

You're right @evilnights it was Steam but better.

#35 Posted by WiredFolf (94 posts) -

@thehumandove: It should, this isn't some small one time purchase. This is hundreds if not thousands of dollars of potential investments and countless hours of personal time and effort over the course of several years. If I'm sinking all that into a company they better damn well bend over backwards to please me.

#36 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@thehumandove: It should, this isn't some small one time purchase. This is hundreds if not thousands of dollars of potential investments and countless hours of personal time and effort over the course of several years. If I'm sinking all that into a company they better damn well bend over backwards to please me.

Agreed. I was just mocking the industry and some others. Consumers have every right to want and demand certain things. If they don't get it, they go elsewhere. The ps4 vs xbone is a perfect example, which is why microsoft is doing a 360 to meet consumer demands. It's a good thing

#37 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@friendlyphoenix said:

I'm pretty neutral on the DRM stuff, but I really hate that this means they're getting rid of the family sharing and digital copies of physical games. Both of those features seemed hugely progressive and were what made me interested in the console in the first place. Now it's just a more expensive, less powerful PS4 and I could not give less of a fuck about it.

Also, I think that them announcing this so soon was an enormous mistake. They could had waited about a month and put out statement along the lines of "We've been working hard since E3 to re-engineer the entire Xbox One infrastructure to adhere to YOUR consumer demands" instead of what it feels like now of "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK" and it would have felt way less desperate a move.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was pretty happy at first when the news broke, but now that I've put some thought into it I'm think I'm starting to wish that they hadn't changed anything.

@drdarkstryfe said:

I am glad that they are trashing their anti consumer practices, but it a damn shame that it is pretty much an "all or nothing" concept.

They cooked up some great ideas with the family share plan, the ability to download your stuff from the cloud to any Xbox One, and the lack of a disc needed to run a game once installed. All of that is gone, and in the end, that might be worse in the end.

I agree with the idea that the 24 hour check in should have been an opt in, and it would have solved a lot of problems.

This is still feature.

#38 Posted by WiredFolf (94 posts) -

@thehumandove: Gotcha, sorry, sarcasm is hard to pick up in text at times.

#39 Posted by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

You seriously thought that Xbox Family Sharing was going to be fine with any publisher...

#40 Edited by bobafettjm (1475 posts) -

I am 110% happy with the change and I will now buy an Xbox One because of it. People who want to buy their games digitally can still do so and can still download those games on any system and play them anywhere, but now I can play my disc games whenever I want wherever I want to.

#41 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Nope, that shit was whack, I'm glad they're doing the turn around.

#42 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@commandergermanshepard: I figured that was what the 24-hour check in was, a trade off / method to keep the system from being exploited or something.

#43 Edited by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -

@sathingtonwaltz: Only if you purchased that game digitally. If you purchase the physical copy, you will not be able to pull it off the cloud without the actual disc.

#44 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@drdarkstryfe: Ah, I stand partially corrected then. Thanks for clearing that up!

#45 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@thehumandove said:

@wiredfolf said:

Agreed. I was just mocking the industry and some others. Consumers have every right to want and demand certain things. If they don't get it, they go elsewhere. The ps4 vs xbone is a perfect example, which is why microsoft is doing a 360 to meet consumer demands. It's a good thing

I'm sorry, I had to do it, but hey, movie clip from a cheesy movie! woo!.. right?

#46 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4500 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

@evilnights said:

You're right @evilnights it was Steam but better.

Steam but without the glowing track record and lack of alternatives because you're trapped in a console ecosystem....boy, I sure do want to know more about this great deal.

#47 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

I'd like similar features for the digital version of the games. I don't expect anything at launch but hopefully six months to a year down the road, they implement some sort of family feature for digital versions. I really would like to see Microsoft make the digital versions stand out and give people a good reason to purchase them since it's more money to them.

#48 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1652 posts) -

I think the internet definitely over-reacted to the DRM policies that Microsoft had in mind. They were trying out a few new ideas. The family sharing pass and digital copies of physical discs were going to be an interesting idea.

What troubles me the most though, is I don't really know how well this push to go all digital is going to go with the more mainstream gaming community. Around birthday and Christmas time, is mom really going to understand how to buy her kid the new Call of Duty if it's all digital? I know that older generations don't like to give credit cards out to anyone, so is entering it the Xbox One going to work? How can that kind of situation be handled if people push digital so hard? Maybe... Gift Cards for the price of a game? Just thinking out loud.

#49 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@thehumandove said:

@wiredfolf said:

I'm sorry, I had to do this, but at least it brings a clip from a cheesy movie into the mix.

They didn't do a "360"

and walk away

#50 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11415 posts) -

I've turned around on the issue and now think that Microsoft AND Sony should be doing everything they can to KILL used games and now I feel like Microsoft isn't doing the right thing.

But I'm just as greedy as most corporations, so take my opinion however you will! Consumer rights be damned!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.