Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

GameStop CEO is excited and hot for Xbox ∞

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

GameStop's CEO, Paul Raines has recently commented that he is optimistic about Microsoft's Xbox 720, and that it will be very hot. GameSpot's Eddie Makuch with the article:

GameSpot: Xbox 720 a 'very hot, compelling device' says GameStop

"We've been spending a lot of time with Microsoft, but we have to let them take the lead on this, but it will be a very hot, compelling device,.. They are doing some really cool stuff, and I'm eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice..

.. I was talking to one of our founders, Dan DeMatteo, and he was telling me every console cycle you get people who will say.. 'what else can the consoles do?' And we just believe it's a cycle and we just haven't had a new product in so long.. There's a lot of demand for PS4, and I think there will be for the next Xbox as well, once it's announced."

Which is kinda weird, because its been.. oh, maybe.. about 7 months or so, where I heard that GameStop was saying: "You better not be doing what I think you're gonna be fucking doing!. Cuz we probably won't-probably be selling yo shit!, that you haven't even said anything yet!." So, I don't know. Totally, thing is, he didn't even mention anything about if there is DRM, but that there's this,. my-fate-is-your-hands type of funny trust. So.? Fucking, maybe the Xbox ∞ won't be so bad.

Its also good to note, that: I wonder how much of Giant Bomb, is a good measure for the industry at large. About what do consumers buy, act, and feel about DRM. Because at this point, the Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, GameStop, and Amazon people, are completely different people from each other. And Giant Bomb represents only a tiny portion of that community. Many-many people here, are really just PC gamers, who then don't represent what is the Wal-Mart, or GameStop consumer, as well, they get their stuff from Newegg, and then Steam. Only to buy some more gigs of memory and graphics card on the cheap, every couple of years, again!, from Newegg.

Anyway. I'm still totally wondering exactly what the real hubbub, of what this Xbox DRM is gonna be? And shit, maybe, it'd be neat. If, maybe you could just: Buy A Used Game License Per Year. You know? Like, 20 bucks a year?, or something. Something you could then buy from GameStop? ~ Shit, I don't know.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

SOme people can only get it up when tech is around.

And if Gamestop is excited then all the "All ways online no used game " stuff is bullshit.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

it will be a very hot, compelling device

Oh really? Thanks for letting me know Gamestop CEO.

(Not you OP)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By DarthOrange
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

Hope it doesn't have overheating problems.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Calling the BROD. (Blue ring of death (because blue is opposite of red & they need a new color. Right?!))

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

Certainly seems to suggest that they won't be going the "no used games" route. Which, well, is a commonly rumored feature of almost every future console, but it was no less scary. Though, GameStop's CEO saying they're excited about it indicates just about nothing else regarding the console's actual quality. We probably have less than a month before we find out for sure; so, speculation is going to be mounting.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually really excited to see what Microsoft has up their sleeve, they've been VERY quiet about this whole thing.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for announce.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Happy Easter Xbox.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its good confirmation that the next xbox will not block used games

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Calling the BROD. (Blue ring of death (because blue is opposite of red & they need a new color. Right?!))

Yeah, man. I'll be spinning BRODies after some sick Madden, rite?!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I guess Gamespot kinda has to with the 360 being more popular in the US. I imagine European gaming shops would wanna say the same with the PS4, with the PS3 being more popular over here.

Fairly cynical I know, but at this point trusting this kinda stuff is just dumb.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will have Call of Duty and it will be called "Xbox", so of course the dude selling stuff is excited. I´m not excited.

At this point, Microsoft has almost no first party studios left, they have absolutely flung their shit in the face of a lot of their business partners and especially the indie scene, which grows more and more important. Yeah, the next Xbox is probably going to suck. It is made by the people who managed to turn one of the greatest consoles of all time (the 360 for the first couple of years) into one of the shittiest, most ad ridden things on the planet.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

My worry is that Microsoft just cut a deal with the biggest sellers of used games (pretty much just Gamestop) to "reactivate" or whatever copies of games that are licensed for an account. That'll give Microsoft strict control over DRM while allowing used games to exist. The problem is that they're going to probably end up cutting out the small mom n' pop used game shops, which would be even worse than not allowing used games in the first place.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there seriously a Dodge Durango as the consoles icon at the top? Hahahahahahaha

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@theht said:

NO

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ghostiet

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@theht said:

NO

I HOPE THE NEXT XBOX IS XBOX INFINITY SO I CAN SPIN INFINITE BRODIES MAN

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli

Does that mean Microsoft finally feels confident enough to come out and play? Will we finally get our reveal event? Or will Microsoft try and keep it all under wraps until E3? Hell - if Xbox wants to launch in late Summer/early Fall later this year, then it's high time to switch gears. Maybe Microsoft really wants to *Blitzkrieg release* it, like Apple does with its products...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, anything good for Gamestop, is bad for consumers. So should we just assume XB720 seems destine to be the "for corporate interests" box.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@theht said:

NO

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@theht said:

NO

Loading Video...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

it will be very hot.

I hear its predecessor was pretty hot, too. Red-hot, one might say.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@ghostiet said:

@awesomeusername said:

@theht said:

NO

Loading Video...

All I got out of that is Jeff is terrible in Killzone.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Ugh. 'hot' device. Fuck that.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EXTomar

This is an interesting thing to claim since a major complaint is that many small and medium developers have had little or no access let alone any information about this. I guess this shows where Microsoft's priorities lie....

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:
    @mrfluke said:

My worry is that Microsoft just cut a deal with the biggest sellers of used games (pretty much just Gamestop) to "reactivate" or whatever copies of games that are licensed for an account. That'll give Microsoft strict control over DRM while allowing used games to exist. The problem is that they're going to probably end up cutting out the small mom n' pop used game shops, which would be even worse than not allowing used games in the first place.

the counterpoint to that is gamefly also thrives on essentially used games. and i dont see an "activation" pass working that well for gamefly.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ

@mrfluke said:

@mikkaq said:
    @mrfluke said:

the counterpoint to that is gamefly also thrives on essentially used games. and i dont see an "activation" pass working that well for gamefly.

Well Gamefly could easily get into those deals with the clout it holds, it's also possible they can create special versions of the game for Gamefly like they used to do for Blockbuster back in the day. My point is, let's not all breathe sighs of relief cause there is still a lot they can do to fuck people.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrfluke

@mikkaq said:

@mrfluke said:

@mikkaq said:
    @mrfluke said:

Well Gamefly could easily get into those deals with the clout it holds, it's also possible they can create special versions of the game for Gamefly like they used to do for Blockbuster back in the day. My point is, let's not all breathe sighs of relief cause there is still a lot they can do to fuck people.

true, but i do wonder what effect things would have if it rolled like that and gamefly got special passes to go along with their games? is that cost effective printing special copies of games or creating special passes exclusively for rental places like gamefly? will gamefly have to change up their renting business model?

if microsoft has a "pass" thing in the works for their games, kinda feeling that next gen will be the death of the "b tier" games

I really hope they do announce their system this month, all this stuff is making me uneasy as im so curious.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@blu3v3nom07: Your gif doesn't work broski.

@seppli: Well, we all know the detrimental effects of having too long of a hype cycle. Leaving the announcement until relatively close to release could help to maintain a high level of interest/hype and bolster sales. This conjecture on witnessing the opposite: Overly drawn out hype cycles where people stop caring/care less before the item comes out.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: ur gif is not working, posting gifs are kinda broken on GB at the moment.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@mrfluke: Nah-nah. This is the new GB. You gotta new-tab on that picture. Ne'er gonn be the same.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mrfluke: Nah-nah. This is the new GB. You gotta new-tab on that picture. Ne'er gonn be the same.

I know what you mean.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Nictel

@awesomeusername said:

it will be a very hot, compelling device

Oh really? Thanks for letting me know Gamestop CEO.

(Not you OP)

OH GREAT. Another system that overheats. Seriously, get some better cooling in there Microsoft!

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamestop will be dead within the next two years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.