Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

GameStop handing out flyers about XBO’s restrictions

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Article linked on Reddit is talking about how Gamestop is handing out flyers basically outlining the restrictions placed by Microsoft on the XBO. I'm sure this is a tactic on their part to to lash out about the used game resale rules, but still, Gamestop is for once benefiting customers by informing them about things they should know when purchasing a product. Most people aren't going to have a clue about these things when they are pre-ordering a system, and whether you agree with what MS is doing or not, I can't imagine that some would NOT want to know how the XBO's online and DRM policies are different from the XBox 360.

I haven't seen one of the flyers personally, might stop by on the way home from work and see if the local stores are handing them out. Anyone seen one yet?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Article linked on Reddit is talking about how Gamestop is handing out flyers basically outlining the restrictions placed by Microsoft on the XBO. I'm sure this is a tactic on their part to to lash out about the used game resale rules, but still, Gamestop is for once benefiting customers by informing them about things they should know when purchasing a product. Most people aren't going to have a clue about these things when they are pre-ordering a system, and whether you agree with what MS is doing or not, I can't imagine that some would NOT want to know how the XBO's online and DRM policies are different from the XBox 360.

I haven't seen one of the flyers personally, might stop by on the way home from work and see if the local stores are handing them out. Anyone seen one yet?

Its a rumor for now. I was at gamestop yesterday and got no such flyer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I'm really interested if all this negative heat actually results in a change in sales. If you went by the reaction, it'll be a squash with Microsoft looking at the lights. But I wonder if that's what's going to happen.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If they aren't doing it, they should.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I was at GameStop yesterday and I asked if they jad information yet. He said nothing yet but he has found customers who are preordering to be super knowledgable about this issue.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I guess retailers kind of have to bring to light all of this stuff, or else people might feel like they got dooped and return consoles. Well shit, this will probably hinder MS trying to go after the dumb COD/Casual crowd who don't read up on gaming news.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I mean they should, incase some people couldn't buy one because of some of that stuff.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can understand why they would be upset by the fact that when they rip people off on both sides of used xbone games, they won't see the entire cut of the profit like before, but on the flip side, they'll basically have a monopoly on that stuff due to the need to reset the license.

I also hope that the xbox one actually explains the DRM to the user and does it very clearly. Imagine the shitshow if they don't make sure everyone knows and uninformed people try and buy and sell that stuff on ebay etc. I guess ebay will probably want to have something in place that stops people from even listing xbone games marked as used.

Nixon34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krakn3dfx: If they actually do release the flyers, its because of liability. Gamestop got sued and lost like 18 months back for not putting clear indication on their used games that some of the features on the box were hidden behind a publisher's paywall (online code) because the game was used (essentially false advertising). So now, they probably are just try to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Whether this is true or not I thing shops have a duty to inform customers about the restriction MS are applying to there next console. If there current messaging is anything to go by people might be as informed as they should or not realise at all.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not around the Philly area.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd like to actually -see- one of these flyers before I believe it.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Well they want to make sure they stay in business, they don't care about the people buying stuff from them.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If this is true, this is pretty hilarious. If it wasn't for the money left on my Gamestop rewards card, I'd wash my hand clean of them for good. I've never really had any bad experiences with them per se, but after dealing with Amazon and other online retailers, I have little reason to go to Gamestop anymore.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Can anyone else confirm this? I don't have any reason to go near the local Gamestop until SMT IV comes out, so I won't know until then if this is happening, if it's still happening.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a feeling this might start happening on a low-level employee-by-employee basis-- a sort of "hey man, have heard about 'no used games' on the Xbox ONE?" Which, although not exactly true, is exactly the kind of thing you could imagine being said-- but I am surprised to hear that it's a straight-up corporate push. (Or at least a location-by-location kind of thing.)

I mean, it makes sense, considering that, if more people buy PS4s, Gamestop will literally be making way more money on every used game they flip-- but man. Crazy.

I can't help but feel like the blow struck by Sony at their press conference has put blood in the water as far as XBO is concerned. All parties involved have been emboldened.

I can't even imagine what Gamefly is going to say about all this.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should. I strongly believe that a consumer should understand the consequences of their purchases entirely. However, idk if GameStop is really a company worth rallying behind considering that their used games markups are disgusting. Also, it's too early to know how Microsoft's policies will impact the console's sales. After taking a few days to cool down from the hype of the announcement, I definitely can see the XBONE selling pretty well regardless of how much people speak out against it. Still cool to see companies/people speak actively against it though.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oddly enough the EB near me is ONLY advertising the Xbox One. It has a huge poster outside and not one PS4 ad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.