Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Giant Bomb videos used to work, randomly stopped working

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nasher27

I've been using the IE app to watch Giant Bomb videos on my TV a lot recently. When I first tried to do this they didn't work; the video would just say "Please use a flash or html5 video capable browser to watch videos." However, for some reason or another, I noticed that this could be remedied by simply logging in to the website on my console. That error message wouldn't display and videos started playing fine.

Unfortunately, for some reason after I just finished watching a video, when I reloaded the page it started displaying the "Please use a flash or html5 video capable browser to watch videos" message again, even though I was logged in. I tried logging out and logging back in, restarting the IE app, and hard booting the console (holding the power button for 5 seconds to turn off).

I can't think of why the videos would all of a sudden stop working. I posted this here and not in bug reporting because I'm assuming the Xbox One's IE app isn't an officially supported browser.

EDIT: I found that checking the "Use webpages formatted for mobile devices" option in settings will allow me to play the videos via a different player, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the default GB player (can't skip to a specific point in video without buffering etc.) so this is still an issue I'd like to resolve.

EDIT 2: I think I figured out the problem. My subscription had ended around the same time my videos stopped working (I pay for a month then cancel so I don't get caught off guard by a charge, I'm a broke college student so $5 can catch me off guard sometimes). I realized this earlier and thought it might be the culprit, and confirmed this today when I re-subscribed and the normal player started working again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.