Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

HDMI Pass-through as a Backwards Compatibility workaround

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey guys, not sure if this has been answered already, but is there anything stopping Microsoft from allowing a 360 to work with The One's HDMI pass-through?

Given that the rumours of a smaller 360 at E3 are still brewing, I was just wondering how feasible this would be with the tech in the box. Could be a nice workaround for those that need/want it.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

At that point. isn't it better to just plug the 360 straight into your TV?

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Que?

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wacomole said:

Yeah but depending on how well supported a 360 pass-through is you wouldn't have to change inputs and also get a unified library in the xbox one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Backwards compatibility would be important to me because if my 360 breaks - not unlikely - and I still want to play Halo 3, I'd have to go track down a new 360. No other machine can play Halo 3 or Reach or Gears of War 2 and 3 or Forza Horizon. Plugging your 360 into your XBone isn't going to stop the 360 itself from breaking.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@wacomole said:

Yeah but depending on how well supported a 360 pass-through is you wouldn't have to change inputs and also get a unified library in the xbox one.

This would mean not plugging in your cable box which makes the Xbone lose almost all of it's TV functionality. They don't want that so I don't think they will support it.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wacomole said:

Exactly.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EXTomar

I don't know about others the amount of stuff plugged in around the main TV is a lot where I couldn't find another place to plug in another box if I wanted too. If I had a XB1 then there is no room for the 360 unless I get an extension cord.

But beyond this, why would you connect the HDMI from the 360 into XB1? You would normally connect the 360 to the TV or receiver or what ever "switcher" you use. The XB1 is not a "switcher" so it makes little sense to connect it like that.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

More importantly can you put a Xbox 360 into a Xbox One into a Xbox One into a Xbox One. I can't wait to put the PS4 into the HDMI in.

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Why would people want to run the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One at the same time? Think of your electricity bills people. Think of global warming!

austinmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to guess, I'm assuming you couldn't have your xbox live account going on both machines. Might work if you wanted to play single player games but you can forget about online and your xbla games as they need your account.

On a side note, why does everyone care about backwards compatibility? The new Xbox isn't killing your old 360, so why not just play that?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

On a side note, why does everyone care about backwards compatibility? The new Xbox isn't killing your old 360, so why not just play that?

Because 360's kind of have a track record for killing themselves?

Preservation is ultimately the issue. In comparison to books/film/music, video games are horribly preserved. They go out of print within a year and rarely get remade or reissued, and with a generation of consoles with moving parts that aren't necessarily reliable even now, I suspect that's a problem which is only going to get worse.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By BlackLagoon

I don't think you'd want to run you gameplay feed though the One - it'd probably add some noticeable latency to the picture.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@blacklagoon said:

I don't think you'd want to run you gameplay feed though the One - it'd probably add some noticeable latency to the picture.

This is a valid point.

Anecdotally though, I still use the DVD player I've had for 13 years because it has a spare SCART socket on it which works better than any switcher I've ever used. I play Gamecube/PS2 games through that, and haven't noticed any problem with latency. However, that socket works with the DVD switched off or even unplugged. From what we've seen of the Xbone's functionality, it's trying to add stuff to the picture. That's gotta take some time, presumably.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.