How close can you be to the kinect.

#1 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

I'm getting an xbox one on Monday and with my current setup I'm wondering if it's worth setting up the kinect at all. Between the tv and where I sit there is approximately 2 and a half feet of space, I'm not interested in using the kinect to play games but would like to use it for the log in stuff and voice commands, would I be able to?

#2 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

You can never be too "close", with the ever watching Kinect.

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4162 posts) -

You should be fine. Especially just with login stuff.

#4 Edited by Hamst3r (4456 posts) -

You should touch the Kinect's shoulder. It will make you popular with the Kinect and popularity leads to intimacy.

#5 Posted by IroN1c (441 posts) -

I have a similar setup and while playing games with the Kinect doesn't work (because it has to see the ground on which you stand) the login and voice command stuff is super fine and actually works better than at my friends place, who has his Kinect further away.

#6 Posted by UnblevbleTekkrs (5 posts) -

I generally sit only about 3 feet away from mine and it has absolutely no issues at all when I log-in or give voice commands. The only time the Kinect lets me down is if there is excessive noise in the room which is entirely understandable.

#7 Edited by ShaggE (6343 posts) -

Not close at all. Do NOT approach the Kinect. If the Kinect catches your gaze, avert your eyes immediately. If a Kinect-shaped shadow blocks the light coming into your bedroom from underneath your door, be extremely still. The Kinect will not hurt you. The Kinect loves you.

#8 Edited by Teddie (25 posts) -

Close enough to hear it breathe...

#9 Posted by TheBrainninja (178 posts) -

I'm about three feet away from mine, and have a lot of trouble with voice commands; I think that may be because the Kinect sits right by my center channel speaker, so it probably has a lot of audio interference. Just something to keep in mind. As others have said, games can't use the camera at that distance, but login works fine.

#10 Edited by spraynardtatum (2622 posts) -

I'd recommend removing it from your home.

#11 Edited by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@shagge: thank you for making me laugh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.