Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

How does streaming work?

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Hooded

So whilst I am catching up on the PS4 stream GB crew done last night, it left me wondering how the Xbox One will handle streaming to Twitch. So I go to Twitter and get this response...

No Caption Provided

Link Xbox Support provided: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/e3-twitch

It left me rather confused, so I go to Google and find this... http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/10/4415174/twitch-xbox-one-gameplay-streaming

A fairly old post but when did this change? Or is Xbox Support misinformed? With all the old information out, it seems pretty sketchy as all the info about streaming to Twitch as before Microsoft done a 180 and changed their always on DRM policies.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Xbox Support account hasn't always been on-message for things-yet-to-pass, but that article seems to back them up on this - at least in the sense that "supported" games can be streamed. Maybe all games will be "supported," maybe only some will. Who knows!

Tell you what, though: after playing around with streaming on my PS4, that Xbox damn well better support streaming for all games out of the gate, or someone fucked up big time. It is incredibly awesome, and the most immediately-brilliant feature to come out of next-gen. If they let Sony monopolize that message...I feel that's really bad for them. I hope they're on top of that!

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pocky4Th3Win

No clue, only thing I do know is that it requires a Gold Membership like anything else on the Xbox that uses the internet.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thebrainninja
    Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roarimadinosaur: That explains some but I cant find anything that explains anything about Live streaming. All I can find is information how you can just post the last 5 minutes of gameplay or manually record to post the next 5 minutes of gameplay.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I imagine it's indeed up to the application owner (game publisher) whether they allow Twitch live streaming to work...

Probably the same on PS4.

Especially because they don't want people live streaming their TV or Netflix etc

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8 chaser324  Moderator

I think some embargoes on the Xbox One hardware and UI expire next Tuesday, so I wouldn't expect any detailed info before then.

That being said, I don't recall there being much pre-launch info about the streaming on PS4 either, and it's probably going to be a similar situation on Xbox One.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

So like all those Killer Instinict twitch streams of the past few months are off hardware on a PC? live stream right now

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably, Team Spooky has been doing streams/etc for a long time now. You also probably don't have the ability to add the overlays/etc that they use when streaming direct from the console.

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew Microsoft was quiet for some reason.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/19/twitch-wont-arrive-on-xbox-one-until-next-year/

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Polygon's "feature of the next generation": coming maybe sometime in the future to Xbox One.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gies is kind of going off on Twitter how this (no Twitch streaming support till sometime 2014) isn't a big deal but the reaction to it is unfair. *shrug*

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Milkman

@extomar said:

Gies is kind of going off on Twitter how this (no Twitch streaming support till sometime 2014) isn't a big deal but the reaction to it is unfair. *shrug*

I don't follow Gies but he's right. It really isn't a big deal to like 90% of the Xbox One audience. Still kind of shitty, though.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EXTomar

It is just the pretzel style mind bending logic he tries to spout that has always bothered me. Streaming is important...but it isn't a big deal for the XBox One...and everyone is blowing it out of proportion because you can still use capture hardware....but Microsoft will have it on March 11, 2014! And then he tries to paint himself as middle of the road.

What??

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kishinfoulux

@extomar said:

I mean it kind of isn't. Most casuals probably won't give a fuck or even notice it. No one's gonna buy a PS4 because they can stream on it. It's not a system seller feature, so to speak, even if it's pretty cool.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By GleasonRyan

Anyone that wants to stream day one will have stuff to do so. The important part of the twitch stuff is being able to watch streams on the console and you can still do that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.