Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

I Am Dumb And Can't Figure Out Basic Functionality...

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm really enjoying my Xbox One right now, but I can't seem to figure out how to put it in to standby mode. I just want to let it download my titles and then go to sleep, but not really sure how to make that happen. Like with the 360 I can hold the home button to turn the console off, but that's really it. Does anyone know how to do this?

Additionally, I am installing games like Forza and Dead Rising, but I can't seem to find a place where I can see how much space I have left on the console. I know it's not a huge deal now, but would like to know for the future.

I also guess I need an HD Cable box now, which is a bummer, but oh well, may just try to run my PS4 through the Xbox One and see how that goes? Do people know how I can set this up?

I've really only messed around with the console for about three hours, with half of that learning Kinect and the other half playing Forza, but would definitely appreciate any input from people who have already figured this stuff out. Thanks!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@flymeatwad: To set your Xbox One in standby/instant mode, head to the settings and there should be a section listed power mode. Head into there and choose if you want power saving (full shut off) or "stand-by" mode.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FLYmeatwad

@deranged said:

@flymeatwad: To set your Xbox One in standby/instant mode, head to the settings and there should be a section listed power mode. Head into there and choose if you want power saving (full shut off) or "stand-by" mode.

Thanks! Will try that now. Wish I could just set it to download and power off, but will settle for stand by for sure.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@deranged said:

Thanks! Will try that now. Wish I could just set it to download and power off, but will settle for stand by for sure.

Well, if you have a download going and shut off your Xbox, it will continue to download until it finishes or just set up everything in a queue and let it go.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By spraynardtatum

Just be a better consumer

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Judging by the GB livestream, that's a good bit of functionality in the Xbox One that seems wonky, at best. Parties in particular seem fucked.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FLYmeatwad

Just be a better consumer

Thanks!

I read and watched plenty about the Xbox One before buying one, but as with any new piece of technology (and for me the Kinect is definitely new since I never used the old one) there are some things that you can't understand until you have some hands on time with it. I spent time trying to figure these things out, couldn't, and asked for help. I never used Windows 8 either except very briefly, and had trouble navigating that, so the interface here was a bit strange as well. Still can't locate where the storage details are, and I checked every menu under settings. Will manually give that PS4 feed a try, but was wondering if there was a guide so I could follow along rather than blindly thrashing about.

But yeah, be a better consumer, right?

@deranged said:

@flymeatwad said:

@deranged said:

Well, if you have a download going and shut off your Xbox, it will continue to download until it finishes or just set up everything in a queue and let it go.

This seems to have been the case. I woke up, walked in front of the Kinect, and the console and Kinect fired up despite me turning the console off before going to bed. All of my downloads and installs were finished. I'll see if it's in sleep mode now or if it's actually off.

gshearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Additionally, I am installing games like Forza and Dead Rising, but I can't seem to find a place where I can see how much space I have left on the console. I know it's not a huge deal now, but would like to know for the future.

Did anyone ever find out how to see the storage space left on the system? Its a nice thing to be able to see and know when I am getting low on space. I have installed 6 games, and I am curious where I stand storage wise.

AlchemistZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesnt tell you how much space you have left. Jeff and crew showed that yesterday, hopefully they will patch in that utility. But from what they said yesterday not showing the amount of memory is a proof of concept. Dont sweat your memory just believe in the cloud...

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@flymeatwad: Hey, my intention wasn't to be a jerk. I was trying to be funny, I just watched the livestream and heard that "apology" letter from EA about NBA Live and they were basically "apologizing" for their audience not knowing how to play the game. They're going to be doing Twitch streams to teach people because people are too dumb to understand their basketball game.

I know they're unrelated but at the same time, you're assuming you can't understand basic functionality because you say you're dumb and I think it may just be an obtuse UI.

Hope you figure everything out.

Next gen has become current gen!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.