ID@Xbox supports Free To Play and Micro-Transactions

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3777 posts) -

The Independent Developers @ Xbox program, Microsoft's independent developer initiative, will support free-to-play, microtransactions and premium pricing models, Microsoft's portfolio director for digital games Chris Charla told Joystiq at PAX Prime.

"On Xbox One, games that come through ID@Xbox are no different than any other game," Charla told Joystiq. "If you can do it with an Xbox One game, you can do it with anything that comes through the ID@Xbox program. That's like a fundamental tenet of the program." ..

Developers are invited to apply for the program at www.xbox.com/id and those accepted will receive two development kits for free and become registered Xbox One developers. ..

Polygon: Microsoft's indie developer initiative supports free-to-play and microtransactions

This could turn pretty coool, actually! If DOTA 2, and things like the new SMITE, LoL, and PVZ2 can do free to play, Indie Developers might just make some pretty cool things. I'm looking forward to seeing what specifically Indie games come out with these Free To Play pricing structures, or even $1 and up or otherwise, come out.

#3 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

Although nice, it also wasn't that unexpected since this over arching trend for years now. The key hurdle is whether or not allow "store fronts" that are not the native. The key detail missing is how much that actually is going to cost the vendor....

Also, Dota 2 and similar games would never work on consoles but a free game viewer would be nice though.

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3777 posts) -

Really, my point is that, more versions of selling a product is gonna be better in the long run. So now it'd be larger XBLA F2P games competing vs. indie F2P games, with multiple prices and different types of games on either end. In a sense, even EA and MS are gonna have to try triple hard to try and act indie, while the indies are just gonna do their thing I suppose.

@thelaughingmann @alexglass @syed117 @xyzygy @bigjeffrey

And well yea, DOTA 2 probaly wouldn't work on console. But, well Diablo III turned out just fine. So uhm, well I dunno. The first developer to do a MOBA on console, will probably get a huge win for the gamers.

#6 Posted by BigJeffrey (5171 posts) -

This needs to come to consoles

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -

I don't know about DOTA 2 specifically, but there's no reason games like it can't exist on consoles. Guardians of Middle-earth, for example.

#9 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3777 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.