IGN goes hands-on with Xbox One, Kinect 2 and Zumba.

#1 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

If you’d have asked me last year, I would’ve never guessed that Zumba Fitness: World Party would kill two career mini-milestones at once for me: the first time I got to physically pick up and hold a real Xbox One, and the first time I got to see a Kinect 2.0 motion-controlled game in action.*

And yet there I was in the IGN demo room last week with publisher Majesco, staring at the “liquid black” new console on the ground and the next-gen Kinect sensor sitting in front of the TV.

So now, finally given the chance, I picked each of them up and was surprised by how solid and well-built the Xbox One feels compared to the first-generation Xbox 360. And believe the hype: the new Xbox is almost inaudibly quiet when running. Meanwhile, the new Kinect has plenty of heft; it feels like a serious piece of machinery, but it too feels iron-tough (unlike its flimsy predecessor), so that if it happened to take a tumble off your TV, odds are it would brush off the fall and get right back to work.

And work it does. The response time on Kinect 2.0 is very obviously much faster than the first Kinect, which Majesco made obvious by switching back and forth on-the-fly between Xbox 360 and Xbox One builds of the game (because certain sections they wanted to show me didn’t work properly on the One yet).Seeing the two Kinects work at the same time in the exact same space was telling. Input lag is no longer noticeable – that’s not to say it isn’t there because, well, of course it is – but it no longer feels like you’re fighting the Kinect to get it to read what you’re doing.

Kinect 2.0’s 1080p also makes a huge difference. As I sat on the couch behind the Majesco demo guide who was playing the game, Kinect 1 didn’t know I existed. But to Kinect 2.0, I was a fully recognizable person, sitting with one leg crossed over the other on the couch in the background. It’s very impressive. Quite frankly, Kinect 2.0 seems to be what the original Kinect should’ve been.

As for Zumba Fitness itself, you may know the story. The Latin-born, DVD-based workout craze brings a simple philosophy to its “exercise in disguise”: you do the same simple moves with the song’s chorus, and another set of actions during the verses. The idea is simply to move rather than be doing specific choreographed dances a la Dance Central, and you know what? It seems fun. Everything from Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” (seemingly required in any dance/fitness game) to Hawaiian luau music is here, resulting in varied workouts that end up working different muscles.

Should you get hooked on the Zumba craze, the game will even go so far as to tell you where the nearest real-life Zumba classes are available in your area.

Kinect 2.0’s first real hands-on test is expected to take place at Gamescom, where I’ll be playing Kinect Sports Rivals. More on Zumba Fitness and Kinect 2.0 very soon.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/08/ive-seen-a-real-xbox-one-kinect-game-in-action-and

Sounds like Kinect Sports Rivals will be what MS will unveil at Gamescom. Can't wait to see it. Been waiting since E3 for actual gameplay. The jet skiing has me interested. Hopefully Rare impresses with their water tech.

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3777 posts) -

Oh I read this a little while ago. Its no Dance Central 4, but Zumba does seem to prove itself and not just fake it much. Neato!

#3 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@alexglass: unveils? What do you mean? The rumors are Crackdown 3 will be announced at gamescon.

Anyone heard if the PS4 also runs quiet? There is no reason it shouldn't right?

#4 Edited by SomeJerk (3389 posts) -

The PS4 will be PS3 Slim quiet at worst, no way it's going to be Xbox One quiet unless there's Antec-like watercooling hidden inside.

#5 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@somejerk: so why? Does Xox one have water cooling? Or why do you think so?^^

#6 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@alexglass: unveils? What do you mean? The rumors are Crackdown 3 will be announced at gamescon.

I mean they're saying Kinect Sports Rivals will be shown. All we've seen is a pre-rendered video of it.

#7 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

I mean they're saying Kinect Sports Rivals will be shown. All we've seen is a pre-rendered video of it.

Ahh ok I miss read it. I hope they announce CrackDown 3 and some new games for both systems.

There is a rumor that Fallout 4 might be shown off.

#8 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Ahh ok I miss read it. I hope they announce CrackDown 3 and some new games for both systems.

Crackdown 3 seems like a strong possibility. Too many obvious hints. Would be nice to see more of Black Tusk's game but I'll be happy even with just KSR. I'm a sucker for jet ski games and generally anything that has to do with water and water physics.

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Crackdown 3 seems like a strong possibility. Too many obvious hints. Would be nice to see more of Black Tusk's game but I'll be happy even with just KSR. I'm a sucker for jet ski games and generally anything that has to do with water and water physics.

What else has black tusk done?

Wasnt one of the hints major nelson tweeting the crack down agility orb sound?

#10 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Didn't see that one, but there's been a bunch of them.

Technically, Black Tusk hasn't done anything under their new label. They've been re-branded from Microsoft Vancouver but apparently Microsoft gave them the task of making their next Halo-size megafranchize. They're a collaboration of veteran developers from 343, Rare, Turn 10 and a few others. The E3 teaser is all they've officially released under their new label.

We know nothing. Not even a name.

#11 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2609 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Black Tusk used to be MS Vancouver, who made that Flight game.

Crackdown has been hinted at a bit. At the One's reveal there was a random agility orb hiding on the dashboard and Phil Spencer wore a Crackdown T-shirt on Jimmy Fallon. I'm not sure about a Gamescom reveal for Crackdown 3 but I think it is definitely going to happen somewhere in the near future.

#12 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@alexglass said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Black Tusk used to be MS Vancouver, who made that Flight game.

Crackdown has been hinted at a bit. At the One's reveal there was a random agility orb hiding on the dashboard and Phil Spencer wore a Crackdown T-shirt on Jimmy Fallon. I'm not sure about a Gamescom reveal for CR3 but I think it is definitely going to happen somewhere in the near future.

Crackdown is possible, but I'm not getting my hopes up since I only see them unveiling it if it's coming out early next year. MS has typically had a policy of focusing on games close to release. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's just KSR since that hasn't been shown at all beyond that trailer. Been starving to see the new Kinect in action. And honestly I'm actually more excited about that than Crackdown 3. There's enough core shooting games and action games in that launch window, that KSR has built up more anticipation for me. I'd take a new Rare platformer or Fable game though but I can wait on Crackdown 3 until E3 next year.

#13 Posted by bottekott (2 posts) -

@darji said:

The PS4 is smaller, has more powerfull HW and integrated PSU. That should produce more heat and require more cooling. Xbone will probably be the most quiet next gen.

#14 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@bottekott said:

@darji said:

The PS4 is smaller, has more powerfull HW and integrated PSU. That should produce more heat and require more cooling. Xbone will probably be the most quiet next gen.

According to the FCC certification, Playstation 4 will run at significantly cooler temperatures than prior generation consoles. Read the quote from the gematsu article.

The consumer version of PlayStation 4 has passed through FCC certification.

The FCC notes that the maximum clock frequency of the console is 2.75GHz, and its operating temperature varies between five an 35 degrees celcius (41 degrees and 95 degrees fahrenheit). The system also appears to be manufactured in both Japan and China.

PlayStation 4 will launch this holiday.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 are built with tech originally created for the laptop market, and thus should be quite heat and energy efficient relative to the processing power they deliver. I don't expect PS4 to be significantly louder than Xbox One, if at all. Both will be a lot less noisy than any current gen consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.