Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

In-game guide immensely improved in the NXOE

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So I just got the "New Xbox One Experience", and holy crap the in-game guide is so good. I was getting worried about the new dashboard after hearing bad things on the bombcast and elsewhere, but using it for core functionality has improved so drastically.

When you’re in a game, you double tap the Xbox button, and everything you could possibly want is right there, with no loading between menus, no snapping. It does take like 1 full second for the guide to pop up, but once it does, accounts on the xbox are right there to login/logout, the friends list is there and you can invite people to a party without even having to start a party first, the party list is there to manage, a list of apps is there if you want to snap something for some reason, and you can even go straight to settings from there. And switching between those screens is nearly instantaneous.

It’s so good. I’m so happy with it. That thing completely eliminates the need to go to the dashboard while you’re playing a game. The dashboard itself is pretty meh and seems better in some ways and worse in others, but that in-game menu is amazing. It’s even better than the 360 used to be in terms of how easy it is to get people into your game or join others. I do wish you didn't have to double-tap to use it... it seems like it should just be a single tap, because I think it'll have far more use than returning to the dashboard.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah! me too. My box has been updated a couple of weeks ago and they make improvement every week. At this point, I would say that I'm 90% happy with it. The B ( back ) issue is still there but it's getting better.

Also, I think Jeff was really down on it because last week build was really buggy. This week they updated it again and it has been greatly improved.

I really like where they are going with it. My fingers are crossed for next year effort to bridge the gap between pc and the console. I feel like that's where they are going with their ecosystem but it might take more time than I expected when they first started talking about it.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think it's great and really fast. I wasn't sure why Jeff was so down on it during the Bombcast, it really is a huge upgrade.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The dashboard itself is pretty meh and seems better in some ways and worse in others, but that in-game menu is amazing.

Yup, this a hundred times. The actual dashboard seems worse to me in some aspects, but the new guide is pretty damn good. And yes, last week's build was super buggy (parties were super fucked) but everything's fine in the new build.

GhostHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The main dashboard layout is actually much worse IMO and we still need a complete overhaul for our game/app library, but yeah the new guide is pretty solid and 60fps UI animations are nice. But the area below the current game or whatever on the main screen is waaay too large and empty and doesn't need four "recent" things (sometimes it seems random?). Even two recent items would be fine and you could probably fit pins on the same page. Also the community tab is completely pointless and missing some cool features of the old dashboard like the achievements leaderboard and being able to open friends without opening the guide. Still needs alot of work.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Franstone
    @iron1c said:
    @catsakimbo said:

The dashboard itself is pretty meh and seems better in some ways and worse in others, but that in-game menu is amazing.

Yup, this a hundred times. The actual dashboard seems worse to me in some aspects, but the new guide is pretty damn good. And yes, last week's build was super buggy (parties were super fucked) but everything's fine in the new build.

Totally agree, pop-out menu is great.
    Dash needs some work still though.
    Also some weird inconsistencies like not being able to use left and right bumper in some of the menus like ya do in the dash (profile page for instance).
    I also have room for four more pins to make a perfect rectangle to fill out that pin area but it does not let me.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nashvilleskyline

I don't think the overall dashboard needs that much rework. I kinda like the fact that its really "alive" and dynamic. I think they just need to figure out where to place the "see all" buttons better. The rest is fine to me. I mean, at some point, there is so much going on and so much these consoles can do, it gets harder with every new feature to integrate it perfectly. At this point, I'm fine with overall look and feel. I don't mind the rest that much.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghosthouse: Pretty sure an App/Game list revamp is coming, its just something they havent touched yet, which is why it looks exactly the same as the current one

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

The Windows 10 streaming quality dropped dramatically when I updated to the NXOE, though playing on the Xbone itself felt much more fluid. Hoping the next update will improve the streaming quality, cause it was laggy as hell compared to pre-NXOE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.