Kinect must work at launch.

#1 Edited by mikey87144 (1662 posts) -

I just finished reading an article from Kotaku about the Kinect 2 and, like the author, it leaves me concerned. Apparently the new Kinect is till giving the same problems as the old one. Hopefully this gets ironed out by launch but if it doesn't that will be a major problem. It has to work at launch for that thing to have a chance. Devs aren't going to support something that gamers are pissed to use. Even more so when it leaves people so frustrated that they un plug it and put it in their closet. They've already started producing them so hopefully the problems can be fixed with software.

#2 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

gamers will be always pissed because kinect is not for them and right now they even have to pay for something they do not want.

#3 Edited by Marokai (2805 posts) -

I would like Kinect to work well, in the same way I want everything in the world to turn out for the best, but I cannot see how we don't still have all the same problems as the current Kinect. The idea that we would go from a complete and utter piece of garbage to something flawless and spectacular was always a total fantasy, to me. That's just not how tech progression ever works; particularly with a piece of technology that has so many variables at play.

The best I think we can hope for is something mildly more functional with better voice commands. But hey, I'm not getting the damn thing until they offer a Kinect-less SKU.

#4 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Even if all these problems get ironed out, Kinect 2.0 would be just as limited as an input device as the first one. For most gaming genres it's completely useless.

That's probably why Kinect 2.0 is currently presented as a device for menu navigation above everything else. Hell, even their supposed killer-app Ryse dropped Kinect controls.

#5 Posted by isomeri (1223 posts) -

The original Kinect sold quite well indeed so despite how gamers like us feel about the device it does seem to have a lot of appeal in the general market. Even if the new Kinect only works slightly better than the first one and is still filled with all sorts of bugs a lot of people (parents especially) will see it as a magical device which will help their kids get off the couch and jump around. And if I get decent head-tracking in Forza then I'll be pleased.

#6 Posted by Morningstar (2137 posts) -

It'll be interesting to see what the fate of this device will be. Myself, I don't care one iota, but it will be interesting to see.

#7 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@isomeri said:

The original Kinect sold quite well indeed so despite how gamers like us feel about the device it does seem to have a lot of appeal in the general market. Even if the new Kinect only works slightly better than the first one and is still filled with all sorts of bugs a lot of people (parents especially) will see it as a magical device which will help their kids get off the couch and jump around. And if I get decent head-tracking in Forza then I'll be pleased.

How many of those buyers are:

1. burnt by the experience

2. done with the experience (does "touch your virtual pet, now more accurately" really sound appealing to casuals?)

I'm guessing quite a few. Kinect was all the rage back then, similar to the Wii. But people have moved on. That hype is not coming back.

#8 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

I'm pretty mixed on Kinect. The ability to sign in automatically to your account based on who is holding the controller and changing key binds on the fly is the best thing it has going for it. I then look at Xbox One's competitor that isn't forcing me to buy into any extra camera to just play games and it feels like loss value for essentially one feature I like. I could easily spend that $100 I save buying an extra controller/ PSN subscription or I could be buying another full retail game + a downloadable title. It's hard for me to find value in it.

My opinion

#9 Posted by Rafaelfc (1312 posts) -

Kinect should be it's own platform, completely divorced from the xbox.

#10 Posted by EXTomar (4487 posts) -

The tech was always an ill conceived idea because it violates common real world scenarios: Kinect works best when there is nothing between the TV/Kinect and the users. How many living rooms has anyone seen that has nothing between the TV and where people sit? It is a giant waste of living room space to do that. Especially if you have a family, how many times is the living room just you and the TV? Kids are on the floor with their toys scattered around them playing with each other.

There are bits of Kinect that are interesting. I've always said I'd love if any system automatically suspends if it notices there is no one in the room and the lights are turned off. I'd love it if the system noticed I had put down the controller and picked up something else, like a phone, to automatically pause the game. Beyond that though is a crap shot whether or not it can be useful.

#11 Posted by Dark (360 posts) -

The Kinect has the chance to do amazing, let me caps this AMAZING things to interface usage and effecting how the system relates to people in a real space.

Too bad absolutely none of that sounds good in a video game.

#12 Posted by spraynardtatum (2594 posts) -

I would love to see an alternate reality where they sold the kinect 2.0 separately. I have a feeling the sales would be disappointing.

#13 Edited by chiablo (895 posts) -
#14 Posted by bigjeffrey (4768 posts) -

Kotatsu

#15 Posted by isomeri (1223 posts) -

Kotatsu

One of these? Because this is what comes up in Google and I have to admit that it seems like something I'd want.

But seriously what is this Kotatsu thing/joke? I'm honestly curious.

#16 Posted by xyzygy (9887 posts) -

Oh look, another blatant view-grabbing Kotaku "article" :/

I don't know. I've seen Kinect Sports being played on video by others, including that really lanky guy from IGN, and it did a pretty decent job. His likeness was very accurate. I mean for cripes sakes they're making a 3D cartoon version of you, how accurate do you expect?

#17 Posted by Sin4profit (2905 posts) -

I think they shit the bed by not introducing a split controller. Analog sticks and buttons for when you need precision, while still having hand separation that can be used for other interesting things with the Kinect.

They could pull a Dual Shock and release a split controller later to revitalise the Xbox One brand but i think at that point people will have made up their mind about the Xbox One and if people aren't hot on it by then then this won't help.

#18 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

I saw it too. But we've heard so many other sources give positive impressions of Kinect that I don't think it's time to hang your hat on one report about one demo of an unfinished game.

We've seen KSR at Gamescom and the scanning tech and it looked to work fine to me. I don't think Kotaku should pass judgement of the hardware based on one game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.