Last Minute Cancellations post Resolution Gate?

• 92 results
#1 Posted by ValeYard (149 posts) -

Hey, so the people on my friends list have definitely cooled off on the Xbox One. Even though I am stubbornly sticking to my preorder (I like both consoles, but have a Halo problem), I can feel the grip of resolution gate on my wallet. I really hope MS wasn't so myopic with their TVTVTV plan that the ESRAM business does pan out with time. Normally, MS was pretty good at making dev tools...

How about you guys? Anyone else getting last minute jitters and looking at PC builds? Do you care about the 720p native vs 1080p on multiplat titles?

#2 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

Nope, I don't give a shit - I just like games. And I wish that more people could enjoy them without obsessing over numbers.

#3 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Honestly, hell no. I'm getting both eventually but right now, I'm diggin the list of games hitting XONE over the next year.

#4 Edited by TruthTellah (8536 posts) -

@valeyard: I get the feeling your friends are being silly.

If -that- is why you would be cancelling, that's a bit featherbrained. You should cancel because pre-ordering launch consoles or games is generally rather risky due to common launch problems, but if it's over something like resolution on a launch game, that is just...

#5 Edited by isomeri (1225 posts) -

I want to play the next Forza, Halo, Remedy game etc. no matter what resolution they're running at.

#6 Edited by ValeYard (149 posts) -

@truthtellah: lol, thanks for the gif, I'm feeling good about things again ;)

I agree with you all so far. Launch consoles are always risky and I'm more into the games on the Xbox One, although Diablo hasn't been announced for it yet :(, and appreciate MS trying to support their vision with Kinect rather than half-assing peripherals as Sony always does, just ask my PS Eye in a drawer right now.

If I get the money and still have enough gaming time, I'll get both consoles too, although I am interested to see whether the small casing of PS4 will be prone to overheating.

#7 Posted by Morningstar (2141 posts) -

Resolution gate? Taken this a bit far aren't you?

#8 Edited by believer258 (11635 posts) -

"Resolution Gate" is the dumbest name ever.

#9 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@valeyard said:

@truthtellah: lol, thanks for the gif, I'm feeling good about things again ;)

I agree with you all so far. Launch consoles are always risky and I'm more into the games on the Xbox One, although Diablo hasn't been announced for it yet :(, and appreciate MS trying to support their vision with Kinect rather than half-assing peripherals as Sony always does, just ask my PS Eye in a drawer right now.

If I get the money and still have enough gaming time, I'll get both consoles too, although I am interested to see whether the small casing of PS4 will be prone to overheating.

Sony gives you an option why other people force it on you. Yes the advantage forcing is that more developer will use these features but on the downside if a gimmick like Kinect or move controller does not work for games that much and restricts your controls than you get a half assed games because of these bad restrictions.

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (8536 posts) -

@valeyard: heh. Consider the views of these other fine folks and don't respond to the crazies (like above). Go with what fills your heart with gamer joy. ;)

Hopefully the launch is smooth and the initial run will be solid for both new consoles.

#11 Posted by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

Don't care so much about resolution (I played 1280x1024 on PC more than 10 years ago before HD was even a word and still enjoyed a lot of sub-hd games this gen without a problem). 720p should be the standard, as long as they don't go below that it should be alright.

What I do have a problem with though is the fact that they want me to pay 100€ more for a console that at best is still slightly worse than the competition. That just doesn't sit right with me, no matter the games.

#12 Posted by flip2000b (27 posts) -

The value of the system is not in the individual components, so this idea that you pay 100 euros more for a slightly worse console is crazy.

A tin of soup is slightly worse than a steak dinner, but if I want soup then that is what has the inherent value.

#13 Posted by ValeYard (149 posts) -

Just to clarify, resolution gate wasn't coined by me, it was all over the twitters. I think it's funny though, using the same nomenclature for something so banal that was once used for something so important as Watergate.

#14 Edited by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

@flip2000b:

well, the specs are a fact, everything else right now is nothing but a promise by companies that want to sell you their stuff. so the inherent value lies mostly in how much your willing to believe said companies, which is not much that much to go on by to spend that amount of money (not that the sheer specs are either). tl;dr probably best to wait until the dust has settled.

#15 Posted by mideonagain (14 posts) -

I'll never understand why everyone was so eager to pre-order machines that to this day aren't even finalized.

#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

Full disclosure I cancelled my preorder because I got a new PC but it had nothing to do with specs or resolution. It's all about the games man both systems have enough p's for me.

#17 Edited by Marokai (2808 posts) -

I'm not buying either system at launch, but sure. I can see why plenty of people would want to buy an Xbox One for the exclusives it will inevitably have, but I can also perfectly understand why someone would feel like they're not getting their money's worth, paying $100 more for a clearly underpowered system with sizable chunks of it's hardware dedicated to non-gaming functions. That makes perfect sense and wouldn't be judged as crazy with literally any other kind of tech purchase.

I think "resolution-gate" is a silly name (anything with "-gate" is, really) but if you're a person that wants to buy the best versions of games, and one version is clearly superior over its competitor in one way or another, it's only the sensible thing to do as a consumer to take your money there. I think it's silly how that's suddenly become evil console war shenanigans, apparently.

#18 Edited by StillMNV (3 posts) -

When that crazy lady drove into the barricades at the White House and a bunch of unpaid cops gunned her down for fun it should have been called Gate-Gate.

#19 Edited by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Nope, I don't give a shit - I just like games. And I wish that more people could enjoy them without obsessing over numbers.

Yeah, then we could still be playing text adventures dammit.

#20 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5235 posts) -

Resolution gate...... I hate the internet's dumb inflation of relatively minor issues.

As far as the question. Yes, I have considered canceling my Ps4 preorder to build a Pc. In the end I've just decided to stick with it, since I know I wouldv'e gotten one eventually. It's much more affordable for me right now as well. When I build a Pc, I'm gonna go all out and right now isn't the time for me. Now, I could just take the money to buy some parts for a Pc, but I really wanna play some next gen games right now. The launch hype has grabbed a hold of me and won't let go.

Also, I really don't think this resolution problem will be a longstanding one. More than likely it's just launch game issues and devs will be able to better optimize their games across all platforms once we get out of this cross platform hump.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

I, too, find the term "Resolution Gate" completely goddamn stupid.

#22 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

I'm getting an Xbox one, also the term Resolution gate' is retarded.

Judging consoles based on launch titles visually is equally stupid.

#23 Posted by EXTomar (4499 posts) -

"Resolution Gate" sounds like a cult that worships mushrooms, turtles, and other such nonsense.

#24 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

@jimbo said:

@village_guy said:

Hell yeah!

My opinion is just that the games are still totally playable in 720p and that people shouldn't consider that some kind of unplayable mess. I'd understand if it was less than that though.

#25 Edited by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

I would care if I had a pre-order honestly.. I haven't pre-ordered any system so I'm not really effected but I have an expensive TV and want the things on it to look the best. And I also find aliasing really, really ugly and distracting. So when we get things like this...

...on Xbox One I find it hard to get particularly excited for it.

Edit; I fixed a spelling error in this post on my phone and now I can't see the image. If you want to see what I'm talking about go to my images.

#26 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@big_jon said:

Judging consoles based on launch titles visually is equally stupid.

Yup, especially if we take this current gen as an example. The first "next-gen" title of the 360/PS3 era was Call of Duty 2 and the differences were so minimal it barely made a difference. Now we jump to games like The Last of Us, GTA V, Gears of War 3 and it shows how much these consoles managed to dish out with the "dated" tech they ran for the past eight years.

#27 Posted by EXTomar (4499 posts) -

Honestly, there is enough issues with all of the platforms including the WiiU that should make people defer till they sort it out. If one wants to be an "early adopter" go for it but no one should be surprised if anyone else wants to wait months either.

#28 Posted by squiDc00kiE (350 posts) -

If resolution means something to you then great. The fact that people get angry at those who care about numbers baffles me. Any pc gamer has spent a decent amount of time trying to optimize a game to run as good as possible. Like what you like.

#29 Posted by Slaegar (688 posts) -

Well by the time Microsoft gets their shit together they may have a SKU without a Kinect that ends up being cheaper.

The resolution thing is more about a perceived notable power gap. There's also the fact that both 360 and Xbox One versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts will end up about 720p 60fps which feels odd considering the hardware is 7 years older.

According to Eurogamer, our lord and master, the people at the Battlefield 4 event where they showed off the PS4 and Xbone versions could notice the difference in resolutions quite easily. Some people mistook the PS4 version for full 1080p, but they knew there was a difference.

While Digital Foundry has yet to see either next-gen version of Call of Duty, our experience with Battlefield 4 demonstrates that you can easily see the visual difference between them. The Xbox One version holds up well given the gulf in resolution, but it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either. At last week's Battlefield 4 review event in Stockholm, we noted that the resolution change from one version to the next was obvious to many of the press in attendance, with some even suggesting on-site that the PS4 version was operating at native 1080p when its actual resolution was 1600x900. Battlefield 4 is a beautiful game generally, but if it has one Achilles' heel common to both next-gen platforms, it is the pixel-crawl and sub-pixel break-up derived from the post-AA technique. Xbox One has bigger pixels and fewer of them, so naturally the most obtrusive element of the presentation is more of an issue when displayed on the same screen.

#30 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@believer258 said:

It's pretty funny that that whole thing got a name.

Anyways, if OP is seriousabout resolution problems and other technical issues then he really should just build a PC.

Canceling your preorder so that you can see what happens on launch day and afterwards would be a better reason instead of resolution issues because if I was going to drop $400-$500 on one of those machines I sure as hell would want to be sure that the damn thing renders the games decently on my large 1080p screen.

People who preorder should be satisfied with the promises given by the manufacturers because nobody will know what the machines will truly offer until they're in the hands of customers. With preordering you're mainly joining in on the hype and being able to say you got one on day one if that means something to you I guess.

@jimbo said:
@village_guy said:

Hell yeah!

My opinion is just that the games are still totally playable in 720p and that people shouldn't consider that some kind of unplayable mess. I'd understand if it was less than that though.

People have a right to have standards, just because you're ok with that resolution doesn't mean that others should be too. An "unplayable mess" is simply hyperbolic but if someone is going to drop a serious amount of money on these consoles they sure as hell have a right to expect those machines to reach the standards of the buyer.

#31 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@slaegar: Also Titanfall is another game that is going for 720p which was surprising at first considering how optimized the Source engine is for x86 architectures and that game is coming out in March. Whatever issues are hindering developers from having a more comparable version is clearly going to continue months after launch which is more than enough reason to just sit on the fence long enough to see if the new xbox ever gets it shit together.

#32 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Never buy a console at launch.

#33 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

yup.

#34 Edited by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Cancelled my PS4 pre-order because it doesn't run games in 1600p.

I thought it was supposed to be the most powerful console in the universe.

Everyone knows that the higher the resolution, the better the game. Directly proportional relationship.

#35 Edited by Corvak (901 posts) -

Didn't care on 360, don't care on the One. Consistent framerates (whether its 30 or 60) is more important to me.

If I was truly concerned about resolution, I would just play PC versions of a game, since the standard can change without having to wait for a new generation.

#36 Edited by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

While I agree that no one deep enough into gaming to be on giantbomb should not be pre-ordering any console. The notion that if some one gives a damn about resolution they are crazy is ridiculous. Of cause they have the right to care, especially when they are asked to pay 100$ more than the competitor for less performance. Hey lets go to that expensive burger place that give you less than the competitor for more money, even though it taste pretty much the same as the competitor! Who cares right?

With that being said, don't buy any console for at least a year after it comes out. You will suffer missing features, possible hardware problem and lack of games for the first year. Typical console launch stuff.

#37 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@valeyard said:

Hey, so the people on my friends list have definitely cooled off on the Xbox One. Even though I am stubbornly sticking to my preorder (I like both consoles, but have a Halo problem), I can feel the grip of resolution gate on my wallet. I really hope MS wasn't so myopic with their TVTVTV plan that the ESRAM business does pan out with time. Normally, MS was pretty good at making dev tools...

How about you guys? Anyone else getting last minute jitters and looking at PC builds? Do you care about the 720p native vs 1080p on multiplat titles?

I think a lot of people seem to have no idea what resolution actually means.

I have both consoles preordered and I Think I'm probably going to back out of both, but in 12 months, when Xbox has games that actually have REAL features, and all Playstation is boasting is a higher resolution, people who switched based on a number that has no real value are going to feel stupid.

Imagine if the next elder scrolls comes out and it uses the xbox cloud to make a persistent instance of the game world for you and 4 of your friends to play in. Come and go as you like, and the world reacts to each players time spent in the world.

Okay, now imagine over on the PS4, that's not possible, but they have a couple of extra pixels on the screen that are only discernible if you're counting them.

Who is going to feel stupid?

(I'm aware The Elder Scrolls wold never do that with ES:O coming out, but its possible. Zoo Tycoon is apparently doing it.)

#38 Edited by jsnyder82 (726 posts) -

@nekroskop: Yeah, except for the fact that if nobody ever bought a console at launch, you'd never be able to buy one. Because they would be deemed massive failures.

#39 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

While I agree that no one deep enough into gaming to be on giantbomb should not be pre-ordering any console. The notion that if some one gives a damn about resolution they are crazy is ridiculous. Of cause they have the right to care, especially when they are asked to pay 100$ more than the competitor for less performance. Hey lets go to that expensive burger place that give you less than the competitor for more money, even though it taste pretty much the same as the competitor! Who cares right?

With that being said, don't buy any console for at least a year after it comes out. You will suffer missing features, possible hardware problem and lack of games for the first year. Typical console launch stuff.

It's the use of terms like "performance" that make people roll their eyes.

I mean, you realize that, in real terms, it very well be that the PS4 has games that look functionally the same or worse than Xbox, right? The PS3 was supposedly more powerful than the Xbox. In reality, there were only a handful of games that looked better on PS3 than Xbox. Ultimately, developers develop for the least common denominator.

The problem is that people are taking an arbitrary number like resolution and acting as though they are being cheated out of something because they are, again arbitrarily, saying that "higher resolution looks better" when that is a complete fallacy. Ask any professional photographer or videographer, and they will tell you that resolution isn't NEARLY the most important factor when it comes to making arresting images. That's why you see so few photorealistic painters, why so many photographers apply blur to every shot they take, and why cinematographers still shoot on film at 24 fps. I mentioned on here before, but I absolutely HATE high resolution anime. I would take something like Bubblegum Crisis, from the 80s, FAR before I would take some of the newer high resolution anime. The blur and grain introduced by video makes the world feel more cohesive. A design principal known as unity and harmony. High Resolution anime looks so clean that it looks like... well, what it is. Drawings played in succession. The higher the resolution on a work of art, the more the artists/programers/animators have to work for very little gains.

#40 Posted by Rafaelfc (1313 posts) -

I love PC gaming, but it is the main culprit behind all this ridiculous obsession with hardware specs and how many lines can the game push....

I side with nintendo on this, it's about the games not a technological race.

#41 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@nekroskop: Yeah, except for the fact that if nobody ever bought a console at launch, you'd never be able to buy one. Because they would be deemed massive failures.

People who buy it for CoD, Madden and Fifa make up the majority of sales. They don't really care as long as they get their annual slock. This video is for the more informed-us.

#42 Posted by Shaunage (689 posts) -

Don't care. Let's do this thing.

#43 Edited by chiablo (904 posts) -

I don't even understand why people are upset about this. The games started development years before even receiving hardware. The games that are coming out at launch are in no way indicative of what games will look like even one year from now. Multi-platform launch titles will always look like garbage and run horribly, this is par for the course.

#44 Posted by Residentrevil2 (431 posts) -

I'm gettin' both still. Xbox One first, then PS4 when Naughty Dog enters the fray.

#45 Edited by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

I canceled my pre order, but not because it has less pixels.

There is just too much negative buzz around it, yet no hands on. I am not willing to be a part of whatever this launch is, and I have enough to play as it.

Ill give it some time, and see facts not rumours.

The odd amount of PS4 love is odd as well. They are both consoles trying to do the same thing! MS's original vision was great to me, who on earth doesnt have an internet connection? Why not just carry on playing the 360 if you dont?

Garh, anyway, count me out of this madness for now, Ive had enough.

#46 Posted by Waffles13 (607 posts) -

Halo 3 ran at 640p two years after the console came out, Halo 4 is native 720 in 2012. Not a huge difference, but assuming that launch games are a good indicator for the actual power of a console is asinine. Games will look better and better on these machines as time goes on, and even if they don't keep up with PCs, remember that these machines are at a minimum several times more powerful than the previous generation, and there have been some really fucking good looking 360 and PS3 games over the last couple years.

#47 Posted by Vinny_Says (5686 posts) -

It's weird how I'm always hearing from preview coverage (people with hands-on) how fun and good looking games on next gen consoles are but all I hear from the rest of the internet (people who've never been anywhere near a PS4 or Xone) is how there's nothing worthwhile on next gen, and that it all looks like garbage.

Is that what's going on with the WiiU? I guess by that logic shit should be turning around for that console any day now....

OP, buy things for what they are, not what they promise to be. If there's nothing you want to play or do with the new xbox and you only bought it for the promise of Halo then you might as well cancel your pre-order. Companies should stop advertising their products based on future promises, their products should be worth purchasing at launch, and hopefully microsoft's launch lineup is worth a $500 console.

#48 Posted by tescovee (352 posts) -

I'm not worried about it, only place i have seen a real hyperbolic reaction is on sonygaf and 99% of the people there were never going to buy one no matter what the specs.

#49 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Gamers are short sighted and always have been. You would think that the enthusiasts on video game forums and web sites would be able to see five feet in front of their face, but they can't.

This happens every single time new hardware launches. Every time and people don't learn. I don't know if it's just idiots who never learn, or a new batch of younger idiots on the internet replacing the previous one. You have people who claim to be life long gamers that have been around for decades, and then they open their mouths are prove their ignorance and stupidity.

Xbox 360 launched with perfect dark zero. People thought that game looked passable at launch. It was a premier launch title from Microsoft. A year later Gears of War was released and it was a revelation. Just a year later. Let's go back and compare those two games.

Developers are not familiar with this hardware. I don't understand why that simple idea is so hard to understand.

I've said this before, but the thing bothering me the most are the rabid Sony fans. Frothing from every orifice it seems. The PS3 is still a relevant machine. People are still using it. It was a nightmare to develop for, but developers got better with time. The situation seems to be reversed this time, but the Xbox One is not the nightmare that the PS3 was. Have all these life long gamers forgotten the state of third party development years into the PS3's life cycle? It still gets inferior ports.

In a year or two, we will have much better looking games. The difference between PS4 and Xbox one will become smaller just like it did with PS3 and 360. It will happen a lot faster this generation.

#50 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

I played the Xbox One for a good few hours on Friday. Definitely reaffirmed my idea to not get one. Dead Rising 3 is easily the most fun thing I played, but it is still Dead Rising so you know whether you like that or not. Everything else was very mediocre. Ryde and Killer Instinct looked incredibly sharp but didn't change my mind.

Resolution was noticeable, but I'm a PC gamer. If you only game on consoles the difference will not be huge to most people in that situation and will only matter if you have someone next to you showing it to you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.