Live members to have unlimited storage Via cloud

#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Source

So the X1 will have unlimited amount of storage for Live users. Pretty good since the Hard Drive is only 500 gigs and can not be replaced.

#2 Posted by bigjeffrey (4176 posts) -

So i can store all my RYSE save date.

#3 Posted by Humanity (8008 posts) -

So i can store all my RYSE save date.

Apparently the developer behind that game insists that they were rushed to put out an E3 demo and the actual game isn't a quick time fest.

#4 Posted by Spoonman671 (4381 posts) -

I don't use any of my current cloud storage allowance.

#5 Posted by RazielCuts (2722 posts) -

I don't use any of my current cloud storage allowance.

Unlimited for what though, save data? Because how much is that actually used? Other than game journo's who complain about having to move their data around a lot.

I'd rather unlimited streaming of game content in the cloud to not take up local HDD space.

#6 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1695 posts) -

That is a lot of Drivatars

#7 Posted by bigjeffrey (4176 posts) -

I use my Current CLoud offering

In the "theoretical" situation or me going to me "theoretical" friends house and loading up Mass Effect 2, my save game will be in THE CLOUD.

#8 Posted by isomeri (1177 posts) -

That's great but sort of to be expected. I don't fully however understand what it means to have your games stored in the cloud? I mean they can't really mean that you could play your games without installing them to the hard-drive?

#9 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4036 posts) -

That sounds very cool. I hope to see what that means soon. How all these cloud features get additional features added on to four years from now will the awesome part.

Too bad that doesn't mean more storage on my Skydrive. There hasn't been any acknowledgement that they'll add Skydrive support as an app, nor that you can use it during lets say for NFS:R soundtrack use..

#10 Posted by Syed117 (388 posts) -

I guess having a way to backup all your save files over the course of a console generation is good. Not sure how many people will really take advantage of it.

#11 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@isomeri said:

That's great but sort of to be expected. I don't fully however understand what it means to have your games stored in the cloud? I mean they can't really mean that you could play your games without installing them to the hard-drive?

It means that games tied to your account will be available to download from the cloud at any time, presumably without the disc and on any Xbox you log into with your account.

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4381 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@isomeri said:

It means that games tied to your account will be available to download from the cloud at any time, presumably without the disc and on any Xbox you log into with your account.

They already have the files for those games available through their store's servers. They don't need you to save your games to the cloud. This is for save files, and other personal files. I assume you can store photos, videos and other crap like that as well.

#13 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Save them in the cloud and when you wanna play start to download them and play as they download. This would be cooler if they had kept diskless gameplay.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (22757 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@isomeri said:

Xbox One games will require the disc to be in the console. You can't play disc-based games without them.

#18 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3630 posts) -

Thats pretty cool. Way more attractive then 'hey you can use netflix'

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6941 posts) -

Hey you can use Netflix AND internet explorer. Eh? EH?!

#20 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3630 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

Throw in a crappy youtube app and you have a deal sir!

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6941 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

I see your crappy youtube app and raise you...the WORST search function! All of the letters are in a single row! How dumb and nonsensicle is that? $60, please.

#22 Posted by bigjeffrey (4176 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

I see your crappy youtube app and raise you...the WORST search function! All of the letters are in a single row! How dumb and nonsensicle is that? $60, please.

Is that you Jack Trenton and Mark Cerney?

#23 Posted by EXTomar (4132 posts) -

Cloud storage quotas are something I do not mind paying for so doing an unlimited quota is a good thing. I do hope that they offer options to "backup" along with "storage".

#24 Edited by MariachiMacabre (6941 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

No, it's two people who have used those things. They're fucking terrible. Youtube is better than it used to be but still bad, Netflix is as bad as it's always been and the search function on the dashboard is a joke. Who thought it was ever a good idea to put all of the letters in one long-ass line? QWERTY is still an option and a much more convenient one. Not to mention hiding some of these shitty things behind a $60/year paywall is laughable.

#25 Posted by falserelic (4956 posts) -

#26 Edited by Sergio (1775 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Do you have Steam? Your Steam games are stored in the cloud. Do you own any games on PSN or XBL? Those games are stored in the cloud.

It's like buying a physical copy of a Blizzard game, registering the game to your Blizzard account, and being able to then download the game in case you've misplaced the discs. That game was stored in the cloud.

Microsoft isn't doing that anymore though. They might bring it back in some form later.

#27 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3630 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

No! Why would you even ask such a silly question. You're crazy! Hahahaha.

While we're on the subject though, have you thought about what PS4 can do for you? Here let me direct you to our website. I mean...the website.

Real talk though those apps suuuck and Netflix behind a paywall is hecka dumb. I'm glad they're making Live a better deal with the next gen.

#28 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Unlimited storage for video of you and your personal information.

#29 Edited by Syed117 (388 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

Unlimited storage for video of you and your personal information.

that is awesome! Now I can stop filling hard drives with hd video. thanks microsoft.

#30 Edited by leftie68 (214 posts) -

Great. Doesn't mean much to the average gamer (heck I have failed to come close in filling out 1 GB of cloud storage on Steam and/or PSN), but for those video taking enthusiasts, good for you.

#31 Edited by xyzygy (9638 posts) -

It's probably not actually "unlimited". It's more like what they're saying with XBL friends - it's deemed as being able to have an infinite friends list, but in reality, it's probably something like 50,000 or so, a number that no one will reach.

I am still going to use my HDD for save data storage primarily, and the cloud for backup. Last year when Borderlands 2 came out I couldn't access my characters because it was down for an hour. I know, it was onyl that one time, but still.

#32 Edited by brockelley (4 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: that is possible, but if MS could help them widen their profit margins by giving them a share of used game's sales then we will be more likely to have an affect on these mods and their market. Please sign the petition

#33 Posted by brockelley (4 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I'm not spamming, this is an actual petition... why stop something great like this from happening?

#34 Edited by Eujin (1294 posts) -

@brockelley: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giant-bomb-faq-forums-wiki-mods-557971/#1

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giant-bomb-forum-rules-557966/#1

Regardless if it's a real petition or not, posting it in multiple threads can be perceived as marketing and/or spam, and meets the definitions that are prohibited by the rules. If you want to spread the word, that's fine, but you should probably make a single thread about it rather than posting it in other unrelated threads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.