Major Nelson confirms: You can plug a 360 into an Xbox One

• 106 results
#1 Posted by Rasta_Zergling (113 posts) -

During an interview with some girl from reddit Major Nelson quickly dropped the fact that you will be able to connect an Xbox 360 to the Xbox One via the HDMI in, essentially allowing you to play 360 games while overlaying the new interface (though I imagine you'd still have to use your old controllers)

the video:

http://youtu.be/2lMhjM9BK7M (starts at 6:53)

#2 Edited by beeftothetaco (425 posts) -

Instead of, you know, allowing backward compatibility? That's retarded.

#3 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Why even bother?

Redundant.

#4 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

At first I laughed. But I guess if you want to make use of the new Xbone Apps while playing a 360 game that could make some sense. But you would lose all of the TV TV TV functionality, whatever that ends up being.

#5 Posted by Rasta_Zergling (113 posts) -

Well you could essentially play an old 360 game while using the snap features to do skype chat or anything else.

#6 Edited by mrfluke (5279 posts) -

finally some decent good news about the damm device!,but this is the least of their problems to win back people.

thats good to know, now just pump some better exclusives into the device and then they would have a better chance. titanfall isnt enough.

sadly the exclusives aside from titanfall do nothing for me personally and even then, titanfall is a multiplayer focused shooter.

, killer instinct is a decent thing to have, but it isnt a system seller for me.

#8 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1823 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

finally some decent good news about the damm device!, thats good to know, now just pump some better exclusives into the device and then they would have a better chance. titanfall isnt enough.

sadly the exclusives aside from titanfall do nothing for me personally, killer instinct is a decent thing to have, but it isnt a system seller for me.

Titanfall isn't really an exclusive, it's on PC.

#9 Edited by mrfluke (5279 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll said:

@mrfluke said:

finally some decent good news about the damm device!, thats good to know, now just pump some better exclusives into the device and then they would have a better chance. titanfall isnt enough.

sadly the exclusives aside from titanfall do nothing for me personally, killer instinct is a decent thing to have, but it isnt a system seller for me.

Titanfall isn't really an exclusive, it's on PC.

"microsoft exclusive" :P, its also coming to 360. and even then. they've done alluded to the fact that if the game does well, the sequel would most likely go multiplatform.

#10 Posted by BigJeffrey (5095 posts) -

Good i do not have cable

no need to switch HDMI inputs.

My GTA5 or hopefully Persona 5 gateway

#11 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

@fourwude said:

Why even bother?

Redundant.

For people with limited hdmi plug-ins on the tv. I have 4 on my tv and they're already filled up.

#12 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Cool. Sounds like a good feature to have, and fits in well with what the system's trying to do. Rather than swapping inputs or whatever you can just use the Xbone. Hardly a system seller of a feature, but still.

#13 Posted by zombie2011 (4991 posts) -

They've already explained why they can't allow backwards compatibility. Maybe you should read some articles.

#14 Edited by Chaser324 (6662 posts) -
@beeftothetaco said:

It's not a matter of "allowing". Microsoft and Sony aren't holding back 360 and PS3 support just to mess with you.

This issue has already been thoroughly covered over the course of the past six months or so, but the bottom line is that integrating backwards compatibility into the new hardware isn't reasonable. Software supported emulation isn't technically feasible and hardware supported would increase the cost of an already expensive console.

#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

finally some decent good news about the damm device!,but this is the least of their problems to win back people.

thats good to know, now just pump some better exclusives into the device and then they would have a better chance. titanfall isnt enough.

sadly the exclusives aside from titanfall do nothing for me personally and even then, titanfall is a multiplayer focused shooter.

, killer instinct is a decent thing to have, but it isnt a system seller for me.

Xbox..turn on Xbox 360. Xbox..order me a pizza.

#16 Edited by mrfluke (5279 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

Xbox....trade in my games......xbox disable online check in drm..........*self destructs*

#17 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

You can but...why would you want to?

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

Xbox....trade in my games......xbox disable online check in drm..........*self destructs*

So..I got a question. You can be off line 24 hours right? I assume it will use the clock or something. Whats stopping you from reseting your system clock every 22 hours?

#19 Posted by Strife777 (1609 posts) -

I think that's pretty alright. Same as just keeping your 360, but with one less input to worry about.

#20 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

So..I got a question. You can be off line 24 hours right? I assume it will use the clock or something. Whats stopping you from reseting your system clock every 22 hours?

What's to make them allow you to change the clock?

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

"Hey listen, if you really wanna play your old ass 360 games, just play your 360, ok? But if you still wanna play them while using the Xbox One, you can hook your old 360 up through your Xbox One"
At least you did something to try and stop the crying, Microsoft. Good on ya, nobody can be as lucky as when DVD or Blu Ray launched.

"What do you mean it won't play Beta Max and VHS tapes?" wasn never said about any of those players oddly enough.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

There will very likely be separate clocks. A system clock that the user can set, and an internal clock that keeps track of time elapsed between DRM checks.

#23 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Well, that's interesting. But, wouldn't that hinder the cable box functionality? I mean, wouldn't you have to use the HDMI IN to do all the TV stuff?

#24 Posted by Daneian (1246 posts) -

The input isn't a feature restricted by the 24 hour authentication process, right?

#25 Edited by mrfluke (5279 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

There will very likely be separate clocks. A system clock that the user can set, and an internal clock that keeps track of time elapsed between DRM checks.

i bet this is very likely the case,

but i would find it hilarious if the work around is as simple as resetting the system clock.

#26 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@hailinel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

but i would find it hilarious if the work around is as simple as resetting the system clock.

But if the console can set the time via the internet (as the 360 does already) and requires you to sign in every 24 hours anyway, what's the point of implementing that functionality?

#27 Posted by SpaceRunaway (870 posts) -

If the consoles have some sort of connection to stack on top of one another, a la the first Sega CD (or the Disc System, or the Satellaview, or the N64 DD, etc) then I will not only buy a Xone but also the updated 360. Until then, no dice.

Also I just realized that Nintendo really liked their stacking consoles.

#28 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

If the consoles have some sort of connection to stack on top of one another, a la the first Sega CD (or the Disc System, or the Satellaview, or the N64 DD, etc) then I will not only buy a Xone but also the updated 360. Until then, no dice.

Also I just realized that Nintendo really liked their stacking consoles.

#29 Edited by ajamafalous (12055 posts) -

You know, that's probably the first decent news I've heard about it. Cool for people who have a limited number of HDMI inputs (my 3 are already full, for example) and also don't care about TV at all, I guess.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@hailinel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mrfluke said:

But if the console can set the time via the internet (as the 360 does already) and requires you to sign in every 24 hours anyway, what's the point of implementing that functionality?

At my previous job, I was a product tester on a set-top box device intended for playing rented media content. Once time elapsed to the expiration date/time for a given movie, the content would be rendered unplayable. As I recall, it was possible to game the clock to a degree by setting it back, but the window in which this was allowed shrunk each time the movie was played because a timestamp would be written to the content's metadata. Set it too far back, and the content would be rendered invalid until the clock was reset to within the acceptable window. Inevitably, the content would expire regardless of how much clock trickery the user tried to pull. In this case, the only clock involved was the clock in the set-top box. There was no external server required for the check.

However, in the Xbox One's case, the clock the system uses to phone home and the clock of the server it pings would likely need to be in sync. If the time mismatches to an unacceptable degree or other clock adjustments were detected, the DRM check would probably fail.

#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13240 posts) -

Thank God, switching out cables for the once a year I want to play last-gen games is such a pain in the ass.

#32 Edited by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

If xbox 360's work whats stopping you from say routing a ps4 throught it

#33 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

What if...you can have both 360 and a X1 game playing at once?

#34 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

This is a nice thing. It would be better to have backwards compatibility, but for whatever reason (there probably is one, i just don't know it) no one wants to put it in their consoles.

#35 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@hailinel said:

You can but...why would you want to?

Presumably for the application and multitasking features of the Xbox One. Not that bad of an idea really. It has hdmi input so if you aren't going to use if for your cable box (I don't even have cable) might as well use if for pseudo backwards compatibility.

#36 Posted by mlarrabee (2999 posts) -

@beeftothetaco said:

That would require including the Xbox 360 chipset inside of the Xbox One.

#37 Posted by Hunter5024 (5842 posts) -

I'm happy to finally start seeing some kinda cool news about the Xbox One. This is probably the first thing they've said that couldn't be interpreted in a negative way.

#38 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I can't help but feel that if this same kind of functionality were announced for the PS4 you guys would be praising the shit out of it. I'm no fan of how Microsoft has handled this entire ordeal either but I feel like a large portion of the user base here has lost much of its objectivity in favor of bandwagon support for Sony. This is actually a very cool feature if they implemented it correctly, same with the family sharing plan and the multitasking "snap" features.

#39 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@sathingtonwaltz: Not at all. An extra HDMI port is welcome (I keep a DVD player I've had since 2000 to this day merely because it has a spare SCART socket on it), but I don't watch a lot of television and have found that pandering to be an increasingly tedious staple of Microsoft's keynotes for the last few years, so I'm unhappy to see them leaning into it even further this time around.

Okay, I digress. There's a lot of guys going "just give us backwards compatibility, you fuckers!" who I think are overestimating how crucial that feature is over the long run. Otherwise, I think the overall story is a little overhyped; I mean, if it's merely an HDMI passthrough then all sorts of shit should work, right?

#40 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@evilnights: While Microsoft certainly alienated gamers with it's heavy focus on entertainment rather than games I feel that they more than delivered at E3 by having the strongest line-up of games. I feel like people were more impressed with Sony's price and DRM announcements rather than their games line up, which was noticeably lacking compared to Microsoft and Nintendo.

#41 Posted by Darson (451 posts) -

Because I've always wanted 2 noisy consoles running at the same time.

#42 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@darson said:

Because I've always wanted 2 noisy consoles running at the same time.

My 360 is silent. And I assume the new one will semi quiet as well.

#43 Posted by carlthenimrod (1597 posts) -

This sounds like it could be totally awesome or completely worthless depending how it works.

#44 Posted by benpicko (2011 posts) -

allowing backward compatibility?

It's not a case of flipping a backwards compatibility switch

#45 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@sathingtonwaltz: On paper that's the strongest E3 Microsoft have had in years, but their complete inability to manage the spin coming out of the May 21st presser hurt them going into it, to the point that people were still asking the same questions after E3 and they're still unable to answer them properly.

You can argue Microsoft showed more games at that thing, but Sony managed to hit it from a bunch of different angles without falling on their own sword with some superfluous shit like last year's Wonderbooks segment, and their finisher was something of a masterstroke.

I could go into more detail about what I think's going on, but to some extent I reckon people are excited to see that Sony might just be back in a big way, whereas Microsoft are inadvertently alienating their fanbase in a similar fashion that the Wii did for staunch Nintendo fans. But time will tell how it all pans out.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9746 posts) -

I'll be all reductive and dismissive by saying, "who cares?" Cause, honestly, who fucking cares?

#47 Edited by Milkman (17071 posts) -

Didn't Vinny totally call this?

#48 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

So I can play my Xbox 360 games will all of the bullshit of the Xbone?

#49 Edited by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

@beeftothetaco said:

The box is already $500. The last thing they wanted to do was make that thing more expensive. That's what would've had to happen in order to include backward compatibility, as they would have to add more hardware into the console.

The thing I don't understand is why the fuck would I bother doing this when I could just, ya know, keep the 360 plugged in the way it is and use it? Don't TVs come with, like, 12 HDMI ports nowadays?!

#50 Posted by EXTomar (4864 posts) -

Why would you do this though? You are better of putting the 360 in another HDMI port on the TV or receiver than feed it through the XBox One.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.