Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft is bringing it for Games with Gold next month, and Sony needs to step up

• 89 results
    maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think ps plus has had more than its fair share of months as the leader in terms of the free games. I've got plenty of stuff on both consoles though. PS plus generally has the better plus sales also, 7.50 for okage? Sure.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Microsoft has been doing a great job of offering more perceived value out of Gold, that's for sure. In March they had Sherlock and Lords of the Fallen stacking up against Galak-Z and BroForce on PS4. At a glance that's quite a discrepancy but in reality BroForce was a brand new game and Galak-Z less than 6 months old. The Plus offerings are smaller downloadables, sure, but they're almost always very new, or being released free as part of Plus, so I'm less likely to have them already. I'm personally able to cut through that initial reaction of "over $100 worth of games" on Gold vs. 2 $15 indies on Plus and end up very happy with the Plus offerings vs. Gold almost every month.

Let's actually be honest here for a minute. Wolf Among Us has been on sale on PC for $5 and is currently $12 on Amazon and Sunset Overdrive was a launch game that is currently on Amazon for $14. That's what I mean by "perceived value." I'm not saying offering two new indies is better I'm just trying to demonstrate the principle at work here which makes the knee-jerk reaction to Gold so much more positive than that of Plus.

That said I definitely think Microsoft is eating Sony's lunch when it comes to the overall package on offer and they're doing that for one reason: backwards compatibility. The ability to offer 4 or 5 games that can all be played on the same system is huge. Even when the 360 games are older AAA's we've all likely played they still build into that notion of perceived value and at a certain point for a lot of people they start to conflate that perceived value with real value and you've lost them.

It could be wise for Sony to right the ship a bit, they could choose to indulge in a few months of goodwill and boost the perceived value of their own offerings to win minds back. It's time to trot out some PS4 launch titles, it's time for Kill Zone, it's time for Infamous Second Son (the proper full game) and it's time for... dare I say it... Knack. Pepper one of those bigger retail games in once every 2 or 3 months and then around the holiday season toss out Bloodborne after they milk the last bit of profits out of it with the GOTY edition. Now you've built back a bunch of goodwill and you've created a new level of perceived value for your offering vs. the competition, you can now breath easier Sony Execs.

TL:DR - Plus ain't so bad as-is, Gold benefits from an inflated perception of value but maybe Sony should bolster their offerings.

This was a very good post, that nicely weighed the pros and cons of both services. Well said.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#53  Edited By Sergio

Everything is subjective. I don't think Sony has to "step up" much in April since I that's the one Xbox One game I actually bought -- and I wasn't too impressed with what I've played of it. Sony just needs to offer me something good, doesn't matter if it's an indie title or one of their bigger exclusives, that I don't already own. That's about it.

Even objectively, Sony could put out two smaller indie games, and the only people that are going to complain are those that feel entitled in general. No one is going to buy an Xbox One just because these are March's "free" games.

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even want Knack anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I honestly thought the PS plus freebies would get more generous later in this generation's cycle, but the opposite has happened, they've recently become very modest with what they're offering. I'm starting to find it hard to defend the service now and finding myself starting to side with the ragers I despise. Sort it out sorny

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have no idea why people continue to yell about wanting poor retail games as a part of PS Plus. Sunset Overdrive is fantastic for Xbox players but why anyone would celebrate Sony offering Knack or The Order is beyond me.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea why people continue to yell about wanting poor retail games as a part of PS Plus. Sunset Overdrive is fantastic for Xbox players but why anyone would celebrate Sony offering Knack or The Order is beyond me.

Agreed. Although that game in your avatar would be nice. I'm sure a lot of people never bought the PS4 version, or the DLC.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The majority of the indie stuff they've offered has ranged from bad to just not being for me, so it's all the same to me really. The only PS+ game I've gotten any significant time and joy out of is Helldivers. That said I would like to see The Order up on there, because I wouldn't play it otherwise but am still curious to see where I'd stand regarding that game.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Sunset Overdrive is my favorite Insominac game ever, it just saddens me that so few people played it.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

The trouble with Microsoft giving us a whole bunch of great games is that I already own all of the great games. When it's just random stuff, it's all new to me.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Shindig

I don't get why PS Plus picks get such a mauling. Its a gateway to games I've missed out on or have a vague curiosity about and there's been a couple of good retail ones. Infamous: First Light, Injustice, Ground Zeroes.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By grilledcheez

I forgot about Sunset Overdrive, now I have no excuse...that's awesome

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

I'd rather play Broforce

Pretty much. Rarely am I interested in AAA games these days.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Fredchuckdave

If you had said this a few months ago sure why not. Personally I'd rather play Galak Z and Helldivers is objectively a top 10 game of the generation, completely annihilates the entire list.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Everyone needs to play Sunset Overdrive.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice list for this month but Xbox has its weak months too.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fredchuckdave: Helldivers being a top10 anything is an objectively ridiculous statement.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By youeightit

Before I cancelled both subscriptions about 6 months ago I always found Gold to have more games "that I'll download and maybe check out someday" than PS+ did. Ultimately I never played any of them except Rocket League, but as a whole I always thought Gold seemed to offer more in terms of games that I might (but probably won't) play someday.

Edit: Sunset Overdrive was the best game I played on my Xbox 1 before I sold it, other than Ori and the Blind Forest.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@fredchuckdave: Helldivers being a top10 anything is an objectively ridiculous statement.

I ended up really not liking that game, and I was really hoping to enjoy it. But Helldivers still could absolutely be someones favorite game of all time, even. My favorite PC game of all time is Worms Armageddon, and I doubt many would agree with that statement.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

My favorite PC game of all time is Worms Armageddon, and I doubt many would agree with that statement.

What are ya, wacky?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@artisanbreads said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @humanity said:

My favorite PC game of all time is Worms Armageddon, and I doubt many would agree with that statement.

What are ya, wacky?

Sure, a bit. I also played it online with a 56k connection in the late 90s, and got really darn good at the game. For a couple years straight, I played it almost every night, and often with the same group of people.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@artisanbreads said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @humanity said:

What are ya, wacky?

Sure, a bit. I also played it online with a 56k connection in the late 90s, and got really darn good at the game. For a couple years straight, I played it almost every night, and often with the same group of people.

I played the heck out of Worms with my older brother in the mid 90's taking turns at the keyboard. Really loved those Worms games back then, we used to name all our worms after our favorite comic book or tv show characters.

I wouldn't say it was objectively a top10 game of all time or anything. Not that such a list could feasibly be compiled anyway.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@humanity said:

I ended up really not liking that game, and I was really hoping to enjoy it. But Helldivers still could absolutely be someones favorite game of all time, even. My favorite PC game of all time is Worms Armageddon, and I doubt many would agree with that statement.

Those statements aren't equivalent, though. Favorite Game =/= Best Game.

e.g.:

"Worms Armageddon is my favorite PC game of all time." - 'Cool, I remember playing it when I was a kid too! It was fun to mess around in with friends at sleepovers, etc. Lots of great memories.'
    "Worms Armageddon is the best PC game of all time." - 'You are certifiably insane.'

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much the only reason I got PS Plus was for the free titles and the lack of quality stuff on there is also likely going to be the reason I stop subscribing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I thought Sony was doing Plus members a solid by not giving them Knack. That game looks...not great. Give me a cheap quality 10-20 dollar indie any day over a trash 60 dollar AAA if that's my only choices.

Bottom line though, Sony doesn't "have" to do anything until/unless gamers start buying XboxOnes at a greater rate than they are now. When (honestly more of "If" at this juncture) that happens I'm sure they will start offering more AAA stuff. They did last gen when they fell behind, they certainly could now if they felt the need to.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ThePanzini

Six games across three platforms is killing the of quality PS Plus, it's been hot garbage for 18 months. Drop PS3/Vita and make it one retail game and one digital only PS4 tiile per month.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Don't forget, you can claim XB1 titles even if you only have a 360. [Corrected]

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like its pretty awesome that sunset overdrive is free, as that game is great and was AAA, but i still think the overall quality of PS plus has been better, and i dont even have a vita, or use my ps3.

Galak-Z is fun as hell, Broforce is great despite that weird technical issue, and its a little unfair to compare it to next month, when games with gold was the wolf among us for XBONE, not sunset. One of the PS4 games next month is debut title, again, which unless im mistaken XBONE has never done(maybe IDARB or that halo phone port), and plus has a few times.

Like maybe they could throw some AAA games in but for me, ive played all those already, keep bringing me that fresh new stuff even if its a little smaller in scope.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shoey920

@jesus_phish said:

@spaceinsomniac: It took MS an entire generation change to get behind the idea of games being given out with subscriptions. Sony can probably rest on their laurels for a while longer before they see any real negative impact outside of community managers being stressed at people yelling at them over picking titles.

3 years isn't an entire generation.

also for what it's worth, PlayStation needed to offer some sort of incentive since their multiplayer was free. Microsoft did what most companies leading in a generation do and counted their green stacks versus doing anything for any reason.

edit: also Sega beat both of them to this by like 16 years.

WelshCleats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By WelshCleats

That's certainly a strong showing from GwG. I already own them personally, but still!

Haven't seen it mentioned, but it also makes sense for Microsoft to put their best foot forward with existing members considering the Xbox 1.1 "announcement" or whatever you want to call it. I imagine they know anyone paying attention will probably lay off picking up a One at least until the assumed elaboration of that whole thing at E3, so they may as well curry as much favor as they can with existing owners the month leading into that.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's always weird to me to see people crying out for Knack or the Order when games like Helldivers and Galak-Z are so much more interesting.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget, you can claim XB1 titles even if you only have a 360, and you can install/play it even if your gold subscription runs out.

XB1 games require an active subscription. It's only the 360 games that don't.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shoey920: Right. So what's going to stop Sony from doing the very same thing in their comfortable lead this current generation, which was my original point.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@yummylee: Didn't they already do Infamous? I remember downloading it by accident a while ago and having to delete it because the Infamous games do nothing for me. Definitely didn't buy it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco
    ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually prefer the little indie games I may not buy. I would never have touched Rocket League. Glad I got to play that. I skipped Fez and Meat Boy and was impressed by those. When they put games up that I absolutely would have bought anyway like Galak Z, I feel a little more ho hum about it. Happy for others, but I have them myself. That is the issue I see with this months XB1 list. Except for The Wolf Among Us, I have all the rest.

That said, what a nice line up! I use my XB1 as a single player off line console. Just can't justify 2 subscriptions.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@bollard said:

@yummylee: Didn't they already do Infamous? I remember downloading it by accident a while ago and having to delete it because the Infamous games do nothing for me. Definitely didn't buy it.

That was First Light. A much smaller scale prequel story thing.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@yummylee said:
    @bollard said:

That was First Light. A much smaller scale prequel story thing.

Ah sorry, the names are really similar.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Shoey920

@jesus_phish: Companies in the lead will rarely feel the need to be consumer friendly. Last generation you have Sony giving away games for free, this generation you have Phil Spencer telling people not to buy xboxes. The gaming industry is weird... it kind of always has been.

"$599 US Dollars" and the "always on motherfuck a used game Xbox" bear that tone deafness out. The truth is everyone at Sony is too busy lighting expensive cigars with $100 bills to do what's best for consumers right now... and it'll be whoever is in their position next generation doing the same dang thing.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bosman knows what's up:

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.