Microsoft Is Saying Sorry

• 84 results
#1 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4294 posts) -

.. There were no flashy videos, sensational demonstrations or celebrity appearances. Instead, Xbox Live programming director Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb candidly took questions on stage from the crowd for 30 uninterrupted minutes, a refreshing reprieve considering the backlash Microsoft has continued to endure since unveiling the Xbox One in May.

"Look, at Xbox, we really care about the community," Hryb replied when asked point-blank how Microsoft would win back consumers. "We're very focused on what is right for gamers. Everybody at Xbox is a gamer. It's not like we just show up, do our work and go home. We want to make this the best game system that you are going to own for the next 10 years."

The presentation was apparently the first stop of an apology tour for Microsoft, which originally said the successor to the Xbox 360 would be required to go online every 24 hours and limit how users could access previously purchased games. A month later, citing feedback from consumers, Microsoft Corp. announced it decided not to implement such restrictions. ..

HuffPost Tech: Microsoft Is So Sorry About How It's Treated Xbox One Fans So Far

They got a very long road ahead, and I'm still not sure how they're supposed to approach this at this point. I read on neogaf that it would of been cheaper if they just broadcast their sorry message instead of doing this here sorry tour. But that's certainly not the right way to get their message across. Eh. At this point they need to figure exactly what sorry message they need to say. One for the gamers, and one for consumers. Because it seems that mainstream consumers have been swayed to PS4 as well as their more-gamer friends. Baby steps.

#2 Edited by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

God damn do I hate the term "apology tour."

#3 Edited by flindip (534 posts) -

Its pretty simple, make a budget launch option by removing the kinect from the box. Take a 100 bucks off(no kinect)and your back in the game. For whatever reason, they don't want to bite the bullet on this....yet

#4 Edited by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@flindip said:

Its pretty simple, make a budget launch option by removing the kinect from the box. Take a 100 bucks off(no kinect)and your back in the game. For whatever reason, they don't want to bite the bullet on this....yet

Yup.

#5 Posted by MB (12919 posts) -

@flindip said:

Its pretty simple, make a budget launch option by removing the kinect from the box.

That's probably never going to happen. Microsoft wants Kinect to be part of the Xbox One experience for all games and for it to be much more integrated than this generation's implementation of Kinect. That means every single console needs to have the hardware.

#6 Edited by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

God, they are apologizing for a product that isn't even out yet. What a fucking mess.

#7 Posted by isomeri (1385 posts) -

@mb said:

@flindip said:

Its pretty simple, make a budget launch option by removing the kinect from the box.

That's probably never going to happen. Microsoft wants Kinect to be part of the Xbox One experience for all games and for it to be much more integrated than this generation's implementation of Kinect. That means every single console needs to have the hardware.

Exactly. I mean Nintendo could easily drop the price of the Wii U and increase sales if they were to take out the tablet controller from the retail box and replace it with a Wiimote for example. But they won't do that because the tablet is a part of the vision of that console, in good or bad. Same thing with the Kinect.

#8 Posted by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -

Never really had a problem with their original plan, really don't care anymore just hurry up NOV. and bring on the games.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The trainwreck continues. I almost feel bad for them at this point. The only reason I can see them doing this is that sales are nowhere near where they need to be. The problem is this was all because of hubris. I want to see the Xbox succeed but not at the expense of the consumer.

#12 Edited by Syed117 (392 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: same here. Had zero issues with the original plan.

All that crying about consumer rights is bullshit. We tossed that out the window when we decided that it was ok to buy any digital games or apps in the first place. Can't wait for discs to go away. One more generation I guess.

@mariachimacabre: sales are nowhere where they need to be? I didn't know the consoles were on sale already. Clearly a consoles pre order numbers decide its fate for an entire generation. I think that's how it usually works.

#13 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

They really cocked up the reveal didn't they? I'm astounded Zinga hired what's-his-face after messing up so bad.

#14 Posted by geirr (2679 posts) -

Pff, a few months after launch and everyone will have forgotten anyway. Well except 80% of the world probably since they're not getting the Xone in November. But that's another MS gem to forget eventually.

I don't even remember the many times I was never going to buy anything from Sony ever again during their PS3 years, and now I have a PS4 pre-ordered. Something about lying about everything and suddenly stripping away OS-related core functionality.

Then again I'm also way older now and I just want fun games and I'm sure both Sony and MS will have their fair share.

#15 Posted by Sterling (2598 posts) -

God damn do I hate the term "apology tour."

Agreed.

@jasonr86 said:

God, they are apologizing for a product that isn't even out yet. What a fucking mess.

PR nightmare that wont end.

--

Also, this whole thing is a little sickening to me. They should have just stuck to their guns and pushed forward. They would have been fine. Yeah, people were/are angry. But they would still have sold plenty of units. All they have been doing, by trying to turn their "approval" around, is actually just making it worse. Its keeping the spotlight on them. And it keeps reminding people what a fucking mess this whole thing has been. They really should have just keep quite up until early November. And then been like, "Hey guys, xbox one!". People would have been like fuck yeah. Lets do this.

#16 Edited by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

All I took away from this is that I really want an ice cream. Thanks OP. Now I'm going to be craving that as I'm about to try and go to sleep. You monster.

#17 Posted by Warfare (1641 posts) -

All I took away from this is that I really want an ice cream. Thanks OP. Now I'm going to be craving that as I'm about to try and go to sleep. You monster.

With or without sprinkles?

#18 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@warfare said:

@crusader8463 said:

That isn't even a fucking question! Come on!

With, please.

#19 Posted by TruthTellah (9419 posts) -

They don't owe us any apology.

They owe developers working on Xbox One games an apology.

#20 Posted by Itwongo (1235 posts) -

They're apologizing now? Man, this whole series of events better show up in the dictionary when I search for "clusterfuck."

#21 Posted by Warfare (1641 posts) -

@warfare said:

@crusader8463 said:

With, please.

#22 Posted by Subjugation (4733 posts) -

"Look, at Xbox, we really care about the community," Hryb replied when asked point-blank how Microsoft would win back consumers. "We're very focused on what is right for gamers. Everybody at Xbox is a gamer. It's not like we just show up, do our work and go home. We want to make this the best game system that you are going to own for the next 10 years."

Please no. Console cycles are becoming too long.

#23 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

Apology tour? Are the pre-order numbers that bad?

It sickens me to see all this "Look, we care about community" crap when 1) they are planning to bring back DRM when "consumers are ready for it" 2) They market their console with "Look, we removed all the shit we tried to force to you to begin with, we care about you. Really, we do."

Also, are they apologizing only to "Tier 1" countries or do "Tier 2" & "Tier 3" get an apology too?

#24 Posted by TheHT (11676 posts) -

@warfare: Oh god, I can't think of anything more depressing than grayscale sprinkles.

#25 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Nope not buying it.

#26 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I think you're missing the point. He's saying 10 years of support, not 10 years until they make a successor.

#27 Edited by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

#28 Posted by Korwin (2982 posts) -

@subjugation said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I think you're missing the point. He's saying 10 years of support, not 10 years until they make a successor.

You're right, 8 years is much better :P

Seriously, lets get back to 5-6 :)

#29 Posted by Pezen (1656 posts) -

@syed117 said:

All that crying about consumer rights is bullshit. We tossed that out the window when we decided that it was ok to buy any digital games or apps in the first place. Can't wait for discs to go away. One more generation I guess.

I don't really understand why it would have to be an either or situation. You can have both consumer rights and all-digital sales. And since it seems both consoles are getting all games day of release digitally, you don't have to buy discs either. So you're all set.

#30 Posted by Humanity (9853 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Kind of a misleading thread title. Nowhere in the article does it ever say that Microsoft actually apologized about anything. Major Nelson doesn't say they're sorry, he just says they care about their fans. Theres a big difference between openly apologizing and just spinning PR wheels in place with things like "we care about our fans; we are gamers too."

#31 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

I think they should just move on. At the same time Microsoft is remembering everyone about how they screwed up in July, Sony is announcing new games, new Vita model, VitaTV, etc.

Look how Sony PR did it (after years of failure in all honesty but still): They acknowledged their mistakes, apologized and moved on to explain what they were going to change and how things would be better in the future. They showed reasons why we should buy their products. Not this "Oh but we are gamers too!".

I am not going to buy your system because you play games in your spare time. Heck I am not going to buy your system because you're sorry, show me value, show me good games. Show me stuff I want.

Also I so hope that the term 'apology tour' was made up by the writer and it wasn't in the press statement. Cause fuck that's an awful term.

#32 Edited by Fattony12000 (7594 posts) -

In what branch does Larry hold the rank of Major in, I wonder?

#33 Edited by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -

@fattony12000 said:

He is like Captain Crunch, just a character name.

#34 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Xbox PR Rapid Response

#35 Posted by Fattony12000 (7594 posts) -

@fattony12000 said:

Just who is the character of Major Nelson, then, I wonder?

#36 Posted by moffattron9000 (357 posts) -

@warfare said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@warfare said:

@crusader8463 said:

With, please.

Your insane. Sprinkles taste like chalk, and when there's a chocolate dip or sherbet frosting available you take one of those.

#37 Posted by Pezen (1656 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@fattony12000 said:

Just who is the character of Major Nelson, then, I wonder?

He's Larry Hagman. Because he played Major Nelson in I Dream Of Jeannie.

#38 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

@warfare said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@warfare said:

@crusader8463 said:

With, please.

Your insane. Sprinkles taste like chalk, and when there's a chocolate dip or sherbet frosting available you take one of those.

I know it's Heresy to a lot of people, but I prefer my ice cream plain. With a few rare exceptions I just don't like hard things in my ice cream that I have to stop and chew as I devour my ice cream. Part of the enjoyment of ice cream is the licking. Licking the head to whittle it down and then you work your way down the shaft of the cone until it's all gone. That sounded way more sexual than I intended. My point still stands though! No hard things in my ice cream!

#39 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -

#40 Edited by ColonelRick (114 posts) -

@verendus said:

Apology tour? Are the pre-order numbers that bad?

It sickens me to see all this "Look, we care about community" crap when 1) they are planning to bring back DRM when "consumers are ready for it" 2) They market their console with "Look, we removed all the shit we tried to force to you to begin with, we care about you. Really, we do."

Also, are they apologizing only to "Tier 1" countries or do "Tier 2" & "Tier 3" get an apology too?

This. They may have gotten people to overlook the €100 premium (as always, prices are straight conversion, so us euros end up paying more than NA, regardless) but with the x months of delay, they're just surrendering the market to Sony. If someone wanted to buy a new console this holiday season and had their mind set on a XBO, even if they've stuck with MS over the years, like me, they could easily think 'let's give sony a go'. Like me. MS has not managed to keep me interested for a while now; I haven't renewed my gold subscription in months because I just felt I wasn't getting anything out of it, even more so when you've gotten used to the freedom that PC offers with regards to multiplayer. They hastily put in the free games thing to take a play out of Sony's book, but I feel plus has been flat-out better in that regard. Even on my Vita, I feel like i've been getting great value out of my plus subscription, and that's only going to get better when/if I get a Ps4, primarily because it's one sub for both platforms.

#41 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

@colonelrick: Exactly. Your post summed it up pretty much perfectly, except we could add the fact that we (Europeans, Tier 2 countries, Poor bastards, Whatever you want to call us) pay the same amount of money for Xbox Live, if not slightly more, yet majority of these features MS started bringing in (XBLRewards, XBLIndie for example). I read about these and was "Wow, that's actually pretty awesome" only to find out "Not available in your country." the more I read "Not available in your country" the more clear it was to me that MS doesn't give a shit. Which is why I cut off my XBL Gold and started playing my multiplats on PS3.

#42 Edited by datarez (569 posts) -

This is especially interesting because this is the non-gaming press reporting on this and calling it an "apology tour". I think everyone that's in deep is still saying what the hell is MS doing and wondering what crazy thing they're going to announce next. The mainstream media and consumers have no idea about all of this. This holiday they're both going to be selling like crazy but what about in February?

#43 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1670 posts) -

@warfare said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@warfare said:

@crusader8463 said:

With, please.

Those are the shitty sprinkles, y'know the ones not made from real sugar? Real sprinkles are made from only the purest sugar in the world and it's like having a delightful ray of sunshine shooting out from the cold, cold heart of your delicious ice cream.

#44 Posted by EXTomar (4921 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Yeah, something like that. It would be like Ford apologizing for their 2015 Mustang.

I am sure "the faithful" will be happy with the XBox One. And there are some solid features in the thing but it is like they sought to hamper and hamstring themselves at multiple turns. After the lackluster reveal, their PR couldn't even handle simple questions which would be clearly a "yes/no" where I wonder if they were paralyzed and afraid of offending anyone further.

#45 Posted by believer258 (12096 posts) -

I... I thought Microsoft apologized when they removed the 24 hour check? Guys, proper amends were made then, after getting a PS4 an XBone will probably be in my sights. If you can convince me to eventually come back, then everyone who could be convinced probably is. Now you just look kinda sad.

#46 Edited by Jeust (10818 posts) -

With my experience with the Xbox 360, it will be hard to ever dissuaded by an apology. If they fix:

• the game catalogue consisting of mainly their first and second party blockbuster titles, like Halo, Gears of War and Forza that don't do anything for someone not a fan of FPS, TPS and racing;
  • lack of exclusives;
  • their drought periods of biting dust for months until a blockbuster title hits the market;
  • high game prices and lack of worthwhile sales and price drops.

Then I'll maybe consider them again. For now I'm wary of the Xbox experience and Microsoft bullshit policies.

#47 Posted by hermes (1589 posts) -

At this point, they should just keep on going. I was not happy about most of the "features" of the XBox One, and wasn't planning to get one on release, but this picture is just pathetic. They bend themselves backwards to please everybody and the only thing I can think of is "how did any of this got passed over the planning stage?".

The reason I won't consider a new console at launch is not because of availability or even economic reasons, its because they have changed their mind so many times I don't think they have a plan anymore, and I have no guarantee they won't retrace any of their decisions down the line. That's right, MS. Your attempts at good will have made me even more paranoid: I don't know what is left on the fine print anymore, and I won't be among the first to find out.

Microsoft, you got a years long plan that exploded in your face the moment it left your collective mouths, the best thing you can do is move forward and build good PR to wash away your mistakes (announce gifts, discounts, exclusives); not remind us of them by constantly reviewing and revisiting them, again and again. Everyone screws up at the beginning: Steam and WoW had a less than stellar launch, Sony did it with the PSN blackout, etc. The best way to make people forget about that is to help them focus on other things.

#48 Posted by spraynardtatum (3512 posts) -

PR apologies are real and meaningful. Especially when they don't say sorry or admit a mistake.

#49 Edited by Residentrevil2 (461 posts) -

I forgive them.

#50 Edited by danmcn12 (86 posts) -

Man the gaming community is still so infantile. The overreaction to the XboxOne news was bad enough, but now people are still begrudging the company when they actually listened to the internet whining and changed the console. Something people always complain companies never do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.