Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft sold the bundle with Kinect & Titanfall for $400

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

With the PS4 camera rising in price to $70, today's sale on Xbox One made it about $130 cheaper than a comparable PS4 bundle with camera and March's big game, Infamous. ($399 ps + $69 cam + $59 game)

Did anyone bite? According to slick deals the sale is already over. A huge deal. But it made me realize that because of Spyware with the Kinect and frame rate issues in games and apps behind the gold pay wall that the $500 price wasn't really the detractor.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Why do people think Kinect has Spyware in it??? really?!?!?! the only thing you need to "spy" on people is the web searches and smartphone to track & hear/see what their up too or just look up their social network page and hear it from the person themself..... the NSA does not need Kinect to know your eating Doritos and drinking Mt Dew while playing (insert your favorite game here)

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EXTomar

I'll give you hint: One kind of intrusion that has been particularly nasty is someone loading stuff that allows external source to control the camera and microphone. The laptop sitting on your desk can see and listen to you come in and out and do whatever it is you do when you think you are alone. This isn't "fantasy cyberpunk" but happening today.

So it isn't a question of whether or not people trust Microsoft or even a government but that having the hardware to spy on you means someone can activate it without your permission and spy on you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@extomar said:

I'll give you hint: One kind of intrusion that has been particularly nasty is someone loading stuff that allows external source to control the camera and microphone. The laptop sitting on your desk can see and listen to you come in and out and do whatever it is you do when you think you are alone. This isn't "fantasy cyberpunk" but happening today.

So it isn't a question of whether or not people trust Microsoft or even a government but that having the hardware to spy on you means someone can spy on you.

Throwaway your phone now and move into a hut in the woods because let me tell you about these consumer electronics we use every day..

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm not sure I'd compare Titanfall and inFamous.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Zirilius

@maddman60620 said:

Why do people think Kinect has Spyware in it??? really?!?!?! the only thing you need to "spy" on people is the web searches and smartphone to track & hear/see what their up too or just look up their social network page and hear it from the person themself..... the NSA does not need Kinect to know your eating Doritos and drinking Mt Dew while playing (insert your favorite game here)

This is a real thing. http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/02/28/uk-spies-considered-using-kinect-microsoft-concerned/

Also that "deal" Microsoft had has already been pulled due to a coupon code that wasn't supposed to be active. Wonder if MS is going to honor those sales.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#NSA

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EXTomar

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

So it isn't a question of whether or not people trust Microsoft or even a government but that having the hardware to spy on you means someone can spy on you.

Throwaway your phone now and move into a hut in the woods because let me tell you about these consumer electronics we use every day..

Hey now I didn't say I believe it but I am just answering the "Why do people believe it is spyware?!" I think it is particularly useful to have the cell phone company know exactly where me and my cell phone are at right now.

As a tangent, this has perpetually bothered me. People get angsty about "gubermnt trackn me" but fail to remember that it was private company that built the tech to do that in the first place. For whatever reason these people are fixated on public entities tracking their every move but failed to recognize private entities have been tracking them for almost 20 years. And like in the post I'm eager to point out it isn't a problem with trusting vendors (that can be an issue but that is another thread) but really a problem with hackers they should be wringing their hands over.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

@extomar said:

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

Hey now I didn't say I believe it but I am just answering the "Why do people believe it is spyware?!" I think it is particularly useful to have the cell phone company know exactly where me and my cell phone are at right now.

As a tangent, this has perpetually bothered me. People get angsty about "gubermnt trackn me" but fail to remember than it was private company that built the tech to do that in the first place. For whatever reason these people are fixated on public entities tracking their every move but failed to recognize private entities have been tracking them for almost 20 years. And like in the post I'm eager to point out it isn't a problem with trusting vendors (that can be an issue but that is another thread) but really a problem with hackers they should be wringing their hands over.

I always found it very strange how the very same people that were paranoid about the Kinect, probably use a variety of other electronics, possibly laptops, that can just as easily observe your every move. Even more hilarious is this idea that it's the NSA behind it - like the NSA is particularly interested in gathering the largest database of middle aged men in their underwear, swearing and/or cheering at their TV's. I completely agree that it's hackers that one must be mindful of. At the end of the day though, some of this stuff is out of your hands and you just shouldn't worry about it. No matter what precautions everyone took, it was Sony's servers that got hacked and users were powerless in that loss of private information. Sometimes you just gotta roll the dice and wave your arms around in front of a TV without worrying that an NSA analyst is secretly scoring your every move.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Microsoft released a model without the camera and a price cheaper or equal to the PS4 I'd go buy one that day.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cloudnineboya

so is anyone going to ask the posters question?? or are you going to find a way to change the subject and talk about sexism as well.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Wrong. Microsoft doesn't sell the Xbox One at all. At least in Switzerland (and lots of other places). That's what's most detrimental to me.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rachelepithet

@ajamafalous: There equally March's big corporate exclusive system mover killer app type games. And the first major exclusives on each since launch.

Microsoft doesn't need more bad publicity not honoring those sales. Likely the coupon was meant to be a plain $100 of $500 the kind a clothing store would do on clothes already marked up from their $5 Indonesian true manufacturing and materials cost. But for a console already sold at a loss, a problem.

Anyway, the Xbox with that game is worth $560 as much as its worth $400 so long as their ecosystem is what you're looking for. But if you really really wanted One and to play Titan, today was your lucky day perhaps

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

@caesius6 said:

@ajamafalous: In terms of price point? Why not, they are both $60. Which game you yourself enjoy more isn't what he the OP was taking into talking about.

In terms of the part where the audiences are likely going to be playing them for drastically different lengths of time.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@caesius6: I do care about freedom and privacy, but I'm a realist as to living in a world with modern tech for modern conveniences which can be exploited for private gain... Stop and Frisk is more of a danger to freedom & privacy then a camera tech toy ie. Kinect/Sony Eye hooked up to a game system.... To me the freedom to not but able to walk into any store you want and browse the wares of that store without being treated as a criminal is far more intrusive to my freedoms then what meta data or camera pics of me holding a controller watching a tv will ever will...

So if you want the Ultimate private life you need to shed yourself of all modern inventions, no cans or strings for your robinson crusoe style telephones, carve out a cave made for solid stone and don't talk or socialize with anyone or anything because they could be plotting to take your freedom....

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rachelepithet

@ajamafalous: what you just said could be either a did at Infamous (no potential years of ever evolving online play blah blah) or a dig at Titan (no campaign or story mode, play each map once and you've seen everything blah blah)

So yeah, they're totally comparable ;-)

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caesius6: I do care about freedom and privacy, but I'm a realist as to living in a world with modern tech for modern conveniences which can be exploited for private gain... Stop and Frisk is more of a danger to freedom & privacy then a camera tech toy ie. Kinect/Sony Eye hooked up to a game system.... To me the freedom to not but able to walk into any store you want and browse the wares of that store without being treated as a criminal is far more intrusive to my freedoms then what meta data or camera pics of me holding a controller watching a tv will ever will...

So if you want the Ultimate private life you need to shed yourself of all modern inventions, no cans or strings for your robinson crusoe style telephones, carve out a cave made for solid stone and don't talk or socialize with anyone or anything because they could be plotting to take your freedom....

How is that freedom? Don't you see the irony in having to give up every modern convenience as being the only way to be free? Also I'd like to point out that metadata and camera pics from a kinect or webcam are being collected in your home and not on business property. I find that completely more intrusive than a store protecting their wares.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess I'll be in no rush to pay full price anytime soon. If these keep coming I'll get on it when there's a game I really need.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By TheHBK

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

I am with you. Fuck people that seem so shorted sighted and want to rush to call the Kinect a spy camera are retarded. They are better off just turning on your phone to listen to you than watch me naked in front of the kinect playing Titanfall.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

@maddman60620 said:

This is a real thing. http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/02/28/uk-spies-considered-using-kinect-microsoft-concerned/

Also that "deal" Microsoft had has already been pulled due to a coupon code that wasn't supposed to be active. Wonder if MS is going to honor those sales.

That article is more accurate than I expected, because it clearly states that this is not "a real thing." The Kinect is no more susceptible to external tampering (in this case, we're talking about a UK spy agency run by the government) than your smartphone. The Kinect has no "spyware." National security agencies can intercept Kinect data as easily or difficultly as they can any of your network data. In fact, a smartphone is more of a security hazard since most people transmit private and critical information through cellular transmission.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By spraynardtatum

@thehbk said:

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

I am with you. Fuck people that seem so shorted sighted and want to rush to call the Kinect a spy camera are retarded. They are better off just turning on your phone to listen to you than watch me naked in front of the kinect playing Titanfall.

See, what you're saying seems short sighted to me. You're saying that they'll use your phone to listen to you but you somehow think it's stupid to say they're doing the same thing with another camera/microphone because...they're already spying on you. Your whole post just seems like a smear.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@rachelepithet said:

With the PS4 camera rising in price to $70, today's sale on Xbox One made it about $130 cheaper than a comparable PS4 bundle with camera and March's big game, Infamous. ($399 ps + $69 cam + $59 game)

Did anyone bite? According to slick deals the sale is already over. A huge deal. But it made me realize that because of Spyware with the Kinect and frame rate issues in games and apps behind the gold pay wall that the $500 price wasn't really the detractor.

It wasn't a sale, it was some dumb-ass at the Microsoft store not realizing that a 20% any item promo code means 20% off ANY item. It lasted for about an hour.

@thehbk said:
    @humanity said:
    @extomar said:

See, what you're saying seems short sighted to me. You're saying that they'll use your phone to listen to you but you somehow think it's stupid to say they're doing the same thing with another camera/microphone because...they're already spying on you. Your whole post just seems like a smear.

I use a phone with a microphone in it, because it's a phone. It's kind of the point. I wouldn't use a game console that FORCED me to use a fucking camera that I didn't want, anymore than I would use a toaster that did the same thing.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: or just put tape over your laptop webcam like I do!

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By core1065
    Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@core1065: You should read the article. They said that they WANTED to use it, not that they did use it.

Mr_croft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mr_croft

@maddman60620: I damn near pissed on myself man Doritos and mt dew!!!

But if I wasn't a day one xbox one buyer I would have bit. Titanfall is a really good game as well. I do disagree with MS "paywall" to get to apps like Netflix but meh I have had xbox live since halo 2 days so it never bothered me.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DukesT3

I really want Titanfall but with inFamous.... I'd rather do the layway with gamestop as I play that game.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chrissedoff

It really rubs me the wrong way that people are mad at Microsoft for selling an evil spy device instead of being mad at the agencies that are spying on us. People, every activity involving the use of any phone or online device can be tracked and monitored under the bullshit surveillance state we live in nowadays. Call your local representatives, join a protest, start a petition. Whatever. Do something more constructive than using concerns over the infringement of our privacy as ammunition in your idiotic console war.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.