Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft to embargo all next gen reviews till release?

• 116 results
    AlmightyBoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

720p30. Calling it.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By bigjeffrey
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@extomar said:

Yes lets think harder. Microsoft is going into a major release and they aren't saying anything. You don't answer "Hey...what if...?" by going dark. That is always a good move when rumors are swirling right?

If you need the second hint: I don't care. I didn't give a second thought to what is really going on. I fully expect it is some silly feature that won't work until all systems go live (probably the social and capture features). I merely posited what another who is way more "invested" in the console warz thing might think.

My comment was more in line in making fun of how Gies enjoys dangling info he knows that others don't in front of those people

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Microsoft seems to be making lots of questionable decisions for this console launch

FirebirdINF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By FirebirdINF

I bet it is the day-one update. Sony just dont care about how theirs would have changed reviews and MS does.

myxzlplkts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By myxzlplkts

From what I have read the cryptic tweets from Adam and Arthur have nothing to do with Microsoft. In fact, they possibly have something to do with Sony but nothing that will effect us, as consumers. As far as games not being in 1080, it is kind of a non issue for me. First off I don't plan on getting Ghosts second, I have played games in both 1080 and 720 and I couldn't tell that much a difference. Not saying there isn't one but it's just not something that ever bothered me. I think all of this rable rousing is silly. If you're getting an Xbox One then don't worry I am sure you will be happy with purchase. Same goes for those who have preordered a Playstation 4. I will never understand taking sides on the whole console war bullshit. I for one have preordered the Xbox One and I am super excited. I am also super excited for the Playstation 4 because I plan on getting one in the future. Personally I think it's an exciting time to be a video game enthusiast.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107  Edited By Seppli

@myxzlplkts said:

From what I have read the cryptic tweets from Adam and Arthur have nothing to do with Microsoft. In fact, they possibly have something to do with Sony but nothing that will effect us, as consumers. As far as games not being in 1080, it is kind of a non issue for me. First off I don't plan on getting Ghosts second, I have played games in both 1080 and 720 and I couldn't tell that much a difference. Not saying there isn't one but it's just not something that ever bothered me. I think all of this rable rousing is silly. If you're getting an Xbox One then don't worry I am sure you will be happy with purchase. Same goes for those who have preordered a Playstation 4. I will never understand taking sides on the whole console war bullshit. I for one have preordered the Xbox One and I am super excited. I am also super excited for the Playstation 4 because I plan on getting one in the future. Personally I think it's an exciting time to be a video game enthusiast.

Did you upscale console games to 1080p, or did you play games rendered natively in 1080p on a PC, that you've played before on consoles in 720p/upscaled 1080p - because upscaling is nothing like a real increase in rendering resolution.

Any game I play on console in 720p looks like hot garbage in comparison to playing it natively rendered in 1080p on my PC. An increase in rendering resolution means to like double all detail. It's extremely obvious.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By Jayzilla

Guys, my PC is using this super smug British accent this morning like Gwyneth Paltrow or Madonna. Usually he'll have coffee and toast and all he wants today is Earl Grey and lady fingers. What happened last night?

myxzlplkts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have done both. I fully understand some people can tell the difference I am just not one of them.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did people expect from an industry that wants us to pre-order, buy season passes, buy cosmetic bullshit and microtransact all based on completely manufactured/false trailers and screenshots?

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most interesting takeaway from this is that I didn't know that a console maker had the clout to embargo a third party publisher's game. But then, unreleased hardware is involved, so technically, it's showing off both things.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Man, that's rough. Hopefully as development for the Xbox One 'develops' over the years, 1080p becomes the norm but it sucks that it can't be for launch. Though I'm not shocked by BF4 being 720, a little shocked that Ghost is, though I haven't kept up with that game so it might be noticeably different this time round.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@csl316 said:

@mattyftm said:

I really can't imagine either Sony or Microsoft shipping consoles out to press prior to the official release. Maybe one or two very select press outlets, but it certainly isn't going to be widespread. The access that press will get to these games prior to release will be at pre-release events, where they will be buttered up and bombarded with marketing designed to get the best scores possible. Whilst I don't believe that any of the mainstream gaming press would actively be biased - this is not the ideal conditions to be reviewing a game. I would tread very carefully over any reviews prior to the launch of either console (or first thing on release day, for that matter).

I could've sworn that places have already received consoles. Hell, Arthur's tweet implies that a PS4 review is already done.

At launches a whole lineup of reviews is usually prepared. I can't see those all being done at that "Launch Celebration" on November 11-12. It takes some project management to review a launch line up.

I can confirm that our local Best Buy has consoles in the back, the H-E-B warehouse in San Marcos already has consoles for both, and the local Target currently has boxes sitting in the back storeroom. All three of those confirmations come from friends that are employees who will obviously wish to not be named.

My buddy at H-E-B in particular went to an event about two weeks back to check out the PS4, and he said it's pretty boss. He's going this week to see the Xbox One.

Avatar image for mint_kjell_olav
    Mint_Kjell_Olav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@spaceinsomniac said:

But hypothetically speaking, why might that be? Why would it be in Microsoft's best interest to not allow anyone to review next-gen multiplatform titles on their console?

You could make a similar argument about any review embargo, and yet they happen on damn near every release, both good and bad. I imagine that to some degree it's probably just a marketing strategy. Having reviews hit after the PS4 release and before the Xbox One release is probably better for the purpose of building hype.

I was thinking the same thing myself, lets hope its strategy and not issues with the games.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Zelyre

I have done both. I fully understand some people can tell the difference I am just not one of them.

Just curious, which console games were they? Gran Turismo was something like 1280x1080p. Wipeout was 1920x1080p but dropped the resolution to keep the frame rate up. Here are the games I know of that render natively at 1920x1080p on the 360/PS3.

Virtual Tennis.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By Nekroskop

@bigjeffrey: Yes! Remember that Arthur Gies is the guy who got 750K from Microsoft to make a documentary. He's not biased towards other consoles at all!(/sarcasm)

I always take him and every other member of Polyon with a grain of salt when reading their articles and reviews.(And they're hilariously biased towards Japanese games(See: Killer is Dead and Dragon's Crown) but are too much of a corporate leech to criticise their current western sugar daddy(See: GTA5)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

@myxzlplkts said:

Just curious, which console games were they? Gran Turismo was something like 1280x1080p. Wipeout was 1920x1080p but dropped the resolution to keep the frame rate up. Here are the games I know of that render natively at 1920x1080p on the 360/PS3.

Virtual Tennis.

on Ps3 it were a gew more.

Ridge Racer or Full Metal Auto 2 for example.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.