Microsoft Will Announce its New Console Next Month

• 193 results
Posted by Alex (2401 posts) -

It's been two months since Sony first unveiled the PlayStation 4 to the world, and in the time since, much of the discussion has centered on when rival Microsoft might finally unveil its next console project. Now we know.

Thanks to the invite sent out to press today (which is helpfully embedded in this story to your right), we know that Microsoft plans to unveil its new console technology, currently codenamed "Durango," on May 21st at an event at the company's headquarters in Redmond, WA.

That puts the event just 20 days ahead of the company's E3 2013 press conference. According to the blog of Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb, the unveiling event will primarily show the new system hardware and functionality, while the E3 conference will be reserved for the forthcoming lineup of games.

Well, now we know when it's coming. Anyone want to take odds on how many days before the event all the technical specs leak? I'm putting my money on four days or less. Double payout if it starts on Reddit.

#1 Posted by weslash (43 posts) -

please no kinect

#2 Edited by Bulby33 (617 posts) -

Finally!

#3 Edited by Mucklefluga (13 posts) -

Very interesante.

#4 Edited by DriveupLife (919 posts) -

it will be shaped like an inhale.

#5 Edited by thatdutchguy (1283 posts) -

kinect 2.0 and always online, this is gonna be a good show! *hairflip*

#6 Edited by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Bought a 360 on a whim a year ago and was probably my worst gaming purchase ever. All my third party games are PC while I have Playstation and Nintendo for exclusives. The thing is a dust magnet. That coupled with Microsoft's latest product output (Windows Phone, Windows 8 and Surface), the horrible always online rumours and the utter disdain coming from the indie developer community I just don't see this box appealing me.

That said if they have a McDonalds app with the Kinect 2.0 functionality I might be interested.

#7 Posted by Lively (311 posts) -

For this new generation of consoles, I kind of want Microsoft to get smacked around a bit for their hubris, just as Sony was after being on top of the world with PlayStation 2. A little humility and fear goes a long way for good competition.

#8 Edited by JEC03 (919 posts) -

I'm just watching for the games as a PC gamer hopefully Alan Wake 2 gets announced.

#9 Posted by ThineOarlock (37 posts) -

Gonna be too busy listening to the new daft punk album, sorry

#10 Edited by super2j (1797 posts) -

Is this really news? cause E3 is in like 2 months, they HAVE to announce something by the end of it. The real story is if they didn't announce anything. this just in "Microsoft still hasn't announced the new xbox and it's projected release date (by analysts) is tomorrow". Now THAT would be a news story.

#11 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -

Here are your Durango specs, pay up Alex.

• Best-in-Class available V8 Power+ - up to 360 hp
  • Best-in-Class standard and available Towing - up to 7,400 lbs+
  • Best-in-Class V6 highway Driving Range - over 550 miles
#12 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I can't see microsoft pushing Kinect that much, they realize that mass casual crowd has moved on to iPad and Facebook games. And you have games like COD, Skyrim and GTA making over a billion dollars in sales.

#13 Edited by Winternet (8055 posts) -

So this event will have no or very few games? Am I reading that correctly?

#14 Edited by alternate (2720 posts) -

Do you mean - how close to the conference will we find out if the specs leaked all over the internets for months are accurate. The PS4 leaks were spot on except for the last minute ram bump.

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (12428 posts) -

So this event will have no or very few games? Am I reading that correctly?

Yep, this time around it will be "XBOX HAS NO GAMES"...

#16 Edited by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

Finally an end to most of the rumour flow, as long as they do a post-presentation Q&A like Sony did to clear things up.

The one question I want answered is who and what they're going to moneyhat the hell out of. They had no problem with half a billion dollars for Kinect launch marketing and hype, they're not going to have a problem spending more for this or securing another generation of dudebro games.

(and I'm going to defend Kinect 2.0 being included and the machine being "always online". I think they are wise decisions that will work well, unless they are implemented and made into something developers have to stick to.)

#17 Posted by pickassoreborn (534 posts) -

I'm hoping that they start the unveiling by ordering pizza. :)

#18 Posted by Humanity (10111 posts) -

May is gonna be one heck of a month. Iron Man 3, the new Star Trek movie and a new XBOX announcement. Pretty cool, each week something new!

#19 Edited by Fattony12000 (7568 posts) -

#20 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I can't see microsoft pushing Kinect that much, they realize that mass casual crowd has moved on to iPad and Facebook games. And you have games like COD, Skyrim and GTA making over a billion dollars in sales.

I can see them thinking that those fans of "hardcore" game franchises like the ones you mentioned are already along for the ride. The opportunity to court even some of that mass market audience is enticing enough to put more of a focus on the Kinect.

#21 Edited by theslimdavylp (16 posts) -

Woo hoo!

#22 Posted by pickassoreborn (534 posts) -

That indentation in Allard's head is where they removed the uncool part of his brain.

#23 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

It's certainly taken them long enough.

Now, the question is: Has this time been because they're so confident, or because they had to rush to add features to compete with Sony?

More than anything else, I'm hoping we can try to figure that out based on what they show.

#24 Posted by Zevvion (2380 posts) -

Call me crazy, but I hope allot of the rumors are true. That way the two consoles will be very different, which will lead me to (most likely) having to own both of them. With PS3 and 360; there were so many great muliplatform games that I always have something to play even if I only owned one console. There really wasn't that much need to own both.

I like owning both.

#25 Posted by CastroCasper (1307 posts) -

Finally, these are always fun.

#26 Edited by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

@somejerk said:

(and I'm going to defend Kinect 2.0 being included and the machine being "always online". I think they are wise decisions that will work well, unless they are implemented and made into something developers have to stick to.)

If they are in the machine they will be required. Microsoft isn't going to create an "always online" machine and say that developers don't have to use it. What would be the point? Same with Kinect being in every box. It will be a required featured even if it's something as simple as voice navigational menus.

#27 Edited by bigsmoke77 (791 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft takes the opposite approach to Sony and use this event to talk a lot about the box and how it will be a tv/media box and then use E3 to show off the games. Which might not be a great initial strategy to appeal to gamers but is an overall solid plan. I think E3 should be about games not people reacting and complaining about kinect and tv functionality.

#28 Edited by Stimpack (911 posts) -

Already known, but good to have confirmation finally.

#29 Edited by Shevar (138 posts) -

@fattony12000: "You are the colony". I will never forget those words.

#30 Posted by Wikitoups (881 posts) -

Here are your Durango specs, pay up Alex.

• Best-in-Class available V8 Power+ - up to 360 hp
  • Best-in-Class standard and available Towing - up to 7,400 lbs+
  • Best-in-Class V6 highway Driving Range - over 550 miles

I'm sorry but it's no Canyonero.

#31 Posted by Dacnomaniac (444 posts) -

Because nobody saw this coming! *gasp*

#32 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Opening line: "You ever wonder what the inside of AN AVATAR'S SKULL LOOKS LIKE!?!?!?!?"

#33 Posted by Gabe_Fox (28 posts) -

I might be the only one, but: The only thing I'm really interested in learning at this announcement is what they will call it.

#34 Edited by Dalai (7071 posts) -

I'm hoping that they start the unveiling by ordering pizza. :)

Or better yet, cooking pizza in the Xbox.

#35 Posted by Draxyle (1898 posts) -

I'm starting to doubt the thing will actually be released this year, with how little access outside developers have with the thing and how "recent" the last halo game was.

But I'm really curious as to what that system will even be. I don't think Halo can carry the system on its own again, and they don't really have much in the way of other notable first party studios. I just can't see them pulling a miracle and producing tons of exclusive games out of nowhere like Sony is doing. Everything about the last couple years of the 360 makes it seem like they're pulling out of the hardcore gaming market entirely.

One thing I'm putting money on, they're going to name the thing in such a way that we wish it was called the Xbox 720.

#36 Posted by Adrian79 (184 posts) -

Just speculating here but I have a horrible feeling the console will be heavily integrated with kinect, windows 8, smart glass and other multimedia bs.

#37 Posted by TheMasterDS (2138 posts) -

I don't think it's a good idea not to have all your games at the unveiling since that's what Sony did and it worked pretty well for them. Without the games, what will it be other than "well here's Netflix."

#38 Posted by fargofallout (303 posts) -

@weslash: Hahaha, yeah right. We can dream, right?

#39 Posted by UnrulyRuffian (114 posts) -

THIS.

@adrian79 said:

Just speculating here but I have a horrible feeling the console will be heavily integrated with kinect, windows 8, smart glass and other multimedia bs.

#40 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

This reveal date wouldn't be a response to all the recent shit talking against the next Xbox now would it.

#41 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

It's about fucking time.

#42 Posted by formic12 (14 posts) -

@themasterds: Well according to Gametrailers the event will only be an hour long as opposed to Sony's two hour info dump. It sounds like Microsoft will plan on flushing out the hardware with some games there at the reveal and then bring the house at their E3 conference just a few weeks later.

Sony had to bring a lot because it was so early in the year and E3 still isn't for another 6 weeks or so. Microsoft is looking to carry a lot of hype off this reveal straight into E3.

#43 Posted by DarthOrange (3906 posts) -

Wow they aren't dancing around what the show is going to be about at all are they? At least with Sony people speculated if they would focus on PS3 and Vita before jumping into PS4 talk. I look forward to the Giant Bomb commentary of this stream (if they have one).

@draxyle said:

One thing I'm putting money on, they're going to name the thing in such a way that we wish it was called the Xbox 720.

KineXt-Box

#44 Posted by GunsAreDrawn (329 posts) -

Why not wait until E3? It's like 2 weeks after this announcement.

#45 Posted by WolfHazard (494 posts) -

Hell yes I can't wait. Now I start crossing my fingers a pray its backwards compatible and achievements carry over. Also, for the love of god let us delete achievements and game history from our tag. I'd pay a thousand dollars for that alone.

#46 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

I hope the crew does another live commentary on the event. It should be exciting.

#47 Edited by Regular_Kirk (78 posts) -

it will be shaped like an inhale.

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers that line. So hilariously bad.

#48 Edited by Phoenix654 (269 posts) -

I cannot believe how long Microsoft has gone without saying a thing about this console. It really worries me for the future of Xbox. PS4 will have been the only next gen console with any details to speak of for 3 months (Wii-U doesn't count, shut up) and Microsoft has just let them go. The hubris they are demonstrating with waiting this long and not reaching out to developers like Sony has makes me get a real "PS3 with not many games for $599" vibe from them. Perhaps the tables will turn again this generation...

#49 Posted by MeatSim (10940 posts) -

Finally no more rumors and speculation.

#50 Posted by RecSpec (3942 posts) -

Not that I was terribly interested, but I probably would've watched this if I wasn't at work at the time. 1pm EST on a Tuesday? Something bad is coming out of this isn't it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.