Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Monitors for next gen consoles?

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OGred

So, my flatscreen crapped out on me the other week and i've been looking around at monitors. Problem is, they're confusing the shit out of me. Could you guys make a recommendation on a good monitor which might hold up for either of the next two consoles? I understand the fps is capped for this gen, will it be increased for the xbox one & ps4? Thanks, I understand basic stuff like hz and some of the differences between the monitor types. Much appreciated :)

• I like to play shooty games
    • my budget is probably below $500
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SomeJerk

If this is simply for a computer monitor, anything will do you good ($100+). Timing is better than TV sets, haven't seen any confirmation just yet wether or not HDCP protection will be enabled but I'm counting on it, things would be seriously weird if they ignored it.

120hz won't matter for consoles targeting 60, if you desire the best current image quality you'll want a panel using IPS unless there's a <$500 OLED monitor of the right size out. The real question is how you're going to handle console audio.

1. Plug headphones or speakers into the monitor's headphone socket
    2. Digital receiver already exists, capable of TOSLINK digital audio
    3. Digital to Analogue audio converter into whatevs
    thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By thebrainninja

When you say "monitor," do you mean monitor in the generic sense, or specifically what we refer to as "computer monitors"? Most decent (and actually, even sub-decent) monitors have HDMI inputs, so if screen size / desk use doesn't bother you, you could probably go that route. What screen size are you aiming for? Or, to be more precise, how far away from the screen do you intend to be? That changes the type of screen you'd want.

If you, as I initially assumed, want a computer monitor, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind:

• 16:9 is a must. I'm a person who prefers 16:10 for...everything, really, but current consoles don't support it, which leads to weird image stretching. Workable, but sub-optimal. (There may be some monitors that can scale that properly, but I've not seen it.
    • IPS vs TN: If you like your images crisp and colors deep, you definitely want to go IPS. Their response time is slightly less than TN panels, but the tradeoff in image quality is, I think, definitely worth it. Besides, as long as you get one with a response time below 8ms, you should be fine. The real downside is that larger IPS panels are pretty expensive, so to stick with your budget you'd probably max out at 24."

The Wirecutter has some good information if you're looking to get some more specific purchasing advice, but it seems like their recommended panel in your price range 16:10, which, having used one with my Xbox for a few months, is not a great experience. That Dell 27-inch seems right up your alley, but it's a little outside your range. Having used the 24," 16:10 model of that monitor for a couple of years now, I can vouch for its quality.

If you're really about TVs, I don't have any advice of my own to offer (I bought my TV years ago, and haven't really kept up). The Wirecutter, again, is a great place to start, though I disagree with their recommendation of a 720p display at the low end, and would tend to recommend LED-backlit displays over plasma specifically on the points of longevity, burn-in (which, while not as bad as it used to be, can still happen), and heat generation. But I've honestly not looked too closely at TVs, so take that all with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

[Edit:] Minor punctuation quibble.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OGred

@somejerk: I think I'm going to plug my headset to the xbox 360 via usb & the cables running from the xbox into the monitor. That's my 360 setup anyway, hopefully it still works come next gen

I've been looking at these BenQ and asus monitors in particular. My only issue being they are 60hz. Do you feel the new consoles will 'support' 120hz? Because i'd hate to blow money on a 60hz monitor if they do.

This thread should probably have been called 'Next Gen 60hz or 120hz' :S

Thanks a lot for your help

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred said:

@somejerk: I think I'm going to plug my headset to the xbox 360 via usb & the cables running from the xbox into the monitor. That's my 360 setup anyway, hopefully it still works come next gen

I've been looking at these BenQ and asus monitors in particular. My only issue being they are 60hz. Do you feel the new consoles will 'support' 120hz? Because i'd hate to blow money on a 60hz monitor if they do.

This thread should probably have been called 'Next Gen 60hz or 120hz' :S

Thanks a lot for your help

60'z a sure bet since even Sony have come to realize that 3D was a bad idea but I'm not sure of the tech behind it, if 60fps locked games could benefit. I'm going to google this stuff..

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

If I was in the market for a new screen for my PC and xbox, I would go with this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

I wouldn't worry about 60hz or 120hz. Also, for me, since I connect my xbox to my monitor with HDMI, I then use a male/male audio cable to run that into my IN port of my PC's audio. You can also just use headphones connected to the monitor or use the built-in speakers.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OGred

@thebrainninja: thanks a heap! Yep, I was talking about 'computer monitors' & I would have it sat on a desk so the range wouldn't be too far. Thanks for the links and explaining the difference between IPS and TN. I was trying to figure that out myself by googling but ended up fairly confused. I've been looking at the two computer monitors mentioned above^. But, taking your advice into account...is this BenQ a decent monitor?

EDIT: Just noticed it was TN...bollocks.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

How big of a monitor are you looking for? That can greatly affect what my answer would be. For example, if it were in the 23" range, I would recommend the Dell U2312HM or Asus VG23AH. For 27", the one sins_of_mosin recommended above would be fine as well.

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tobyus

oh for sure. Im getting myself the newest Panasonic tv that I found today. Such an amazing screen, 42". Im gonna be so ready to play XBONE :D

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@ogred: I have a 27" AOC I2757FM. It's 1080p, IPS, bought it two months ago after reading good reviews and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm quite sensitive to ghosting and have yet to notice any at all, plus the colours are great. Price is around $350, and as a good benefit that you should be aware of for consoles, it has audio out, so you're not restricted to using the monitor's speakers. Just hdmi into it as normal, then hook up speakers to the screen with the 3.5mm jack. There's also the I2757FH which is the same thing, just without the ability to hook up your phone to the display.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By me3639

If just for a consoles you need to only look for a monitor that is capable of 1080P/ 1920x1080. I currently have a Samsung 27" monitor with those configurations that i use for my computer and have no complaints.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OGred

@ben_h: i'm not too sure about how many inches i want but i'll be playing at a desk, if that helps :S

@markini6: thanks, the phone part seems really sweet. i'll be sure to give it a proper look

@me3639: You don't think the next consoles will use 120hz?

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@markini6 said:

@ogred: I have a 27" AOC I2757FM. It's 1080p, IPS, bought it two months ago after reading good reviews and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm quite sensitive to ghosting and have yet to notice any at all, plus the colours are great. Price is around $350, and as a good benefit that you should be aware of for consoles, it has audio out, so you're not restricted to using the monitor's speakers. Just hdmi into it as normal, then hook up speakers to the screen with the 3.5mm jack. There's also the I2757FH which is the same thing, just without the ability to hook up your phone to the display.

As an addendum, some slight research indicates it does indeed have HDCP support, which I was worried about at first glance (it looked like one of those barebones eBay-sold Korean panels with an HDMI port soldered on). Seems like the audio ain't great, but it has a headphone jack on the back, so you can use whatever speakers/headphones you like. That monitor seems totally solid for your purposes, even if the few pro reviews I found don't seem too hot on it.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebrainninja: For the price and the fact that it's an IPS panel with great response times (to my scrutinizing eyes) and audio out, I decided after about a month of looking that it was as good as I would find at that resolution before making the step up to 1440p or higher. The only reason I would say buy a different model would be if you want a monitor with a glossy screen. Whilst they can be a pain with reflections, to my eyes it makes the colours pop more.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By markini6

@ogred: If you're planning on using the monitor as a computer screen as well, I'd probably say 23 - 24" is the sweet spot. Big enough screen size but also ok for being up close and browsing/typing.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could buy a monitor right now I'd go for this one.
    It's only 1920x1080 but the refresh rate is 144.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.