More info about the Reputation system

#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Source

So from what it looks like the new system takes into account many things even how much positive of negative feedback you give.

Dunn noted that most players will wind up in the green, and players will receive several warnings before they drop down to the red. He also explained that the algorithm is sophisticated enough that it won't penalise players for a few bad reports.

Meaning if you make someone mad for just stomping them one report wont send you to be with the cheaters and trolls.

Kinda excited to see how this works out.

Edit more info

Source

#2 Posted by joshwent (2353 posts) -

Wonder how Major Nelson's Rep is gonna turn out.

#3 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3790 posts) -

Yea, this should be cool. I've had my fair share of people team-killing me in Reach just so they could take the flag. We lost anyway. It was great.

#4 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6004 posts) -

This definitely gets a One up for Microsoft in my book.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

For some reason, I remember people being pissed about this for some reason. Then again, given everything else surrounding the Xbox One (and the Internet being what it is), I imagine there'd have to be somebody out there hating even cool features like this.

#6 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

For some reason, I remember people being pissed about this for some reason. Then again, given everything else surrounding the Xbox One (and the Internet being what it is), I imagine there'd have to be somebody out there hating even cool features like this.

It was in the heat of MS sucks and hates gamers.

#7 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

Because people, instead of using their brains, decided to act crazy and assume IF I GET REPORTED ONCE I LOSE MY ACCOUNT REAL GREAT MICROSOFT YOU SUCK.

I like the sound of this, I'm totally for measures that deal with idiots online.

#8 Edited by C0V3RT (1380 posts) -

Color me skeptical. In theory, they said what zone you designated yourself as (family/recreation/pro/underground) impacted who you'd get matched with but it never seemed to work. I want to say I've heard this sophisticated algorithm talk before with the current reputation system too. I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope it works.

#9 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

It was in the heat of MS sucks and hates gamers.

Sounds like every other day for MS at this point.

#10 Posted by Silver-Streak (1383 posts) -

I still think it would be better for everyone to start in the red and have to move their reputation up. Regardless, I'm glad they're at least trying something to clean up XBL's userbase.

#11 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

It is my experience that reputation systems that have demotions form players don't work as well as promotion only. The problem with the system Microsoft has detailed isn't that you might receive a bad report but the system can ask The Jerk "Who are the jerks you played with?"

#12 Posted by spraynardtatum (3721 posts) -

So you get a couple warnings until Microsoft puts you in video game jail. What are the penalties if you end up in the red?

#13 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So you get a couple warnings until Microsoft puts you in video game jail. What are the penalties if you end up in the red?

You play with other in the red. That is all. And its three tiers. Not Red and Green. Its Green then yellow then Red. You get warnigns before a drop.

#14 Posted by spraynardtatum (3721 posts) -

Do the votes of people in the red matter as much as the people that are green? I only ask because I feel like this gen it was mostly the bad sports and bullys that used the voting system and I don't believe it'll change next gen.

I've always preferred the vote to kick system during matches. I think it gets the job done. It also doesn't mean that someone is going to be sent to play with racist mouth breathers for all eternity.

#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Do the votes of people in the red matter as much as the people that are green? I only ask because I feel like this gen it was mostly the bad sports and bullys that used the voting system and I don't believe it'll change next gen.

I've always preferred the vote to kick system during matches. I think it gets the job done. It also doesn't mean that someone is going to be sent to play with racist mouth breathers for all eternity.

It also tracks if you tend to vote lots of people down. I guess if you do that then your voting no longer counts.

#16 Edited by BigJeffrey (5110 posts) -

FINALLY, Titan Fall will not be populated with Hackers and modders like MW. I would still be playing COD4 if i weren't for all them hackers. I mean all that stuff is cool but it gets old jumping 50ft in the air and spamming nube tubes.

#17 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I'm not getting an XB1 anyway, but when I use to play a lot of SFIV online, I was getting tons of hate from shitty players I beat because I wasn't playing the way they wanted me to. It would make me worry if that system had been around then.

#18 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

Hacking comes from lack of maintenance instead of a weak moderation system. Kicking hackers from your match in game that is easily hacked doesn't help keep the game from being exploited.

#19 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@extomar said:

Hacking comes from lack of maintenance instead of a weak moderation system. Kicking hackers from your match in game that is easily hacked doesn't help keep the game from being exploited.

I don't think this is really true. Look at Blizzard. They are still trying to get rid of all the bots and hackers in D3 and they are arguably the biggest online-centric company in the industry. Even WoW has tons of people being hacked. I have a lot of friends who play the game and even with authenticators they get hacked, though usually it's because they don't play in about a week or more. Still though.

If this works as it should, all hackers should be playing in the red alongside other hackers. It will take some time for each hacker to reach that area though, but once they're there...

Also, this is an example of how paid memberships like Gold helps. It helps deter hackers from creating multiple aliases because each of those aliases would cost money for a Gold account.

#20 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Was this an actual problem with the Xbox 360?

Anyhow, it would be interesting how this system works out. As I see it, the only player who uses the reporting system are general trolls of the Internet. The new system might entice players to rate each other.

#21 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

@xyzygy:

That is something else. Someone complaining about the state of CoD4 and believes that putting a reputation system on it will help is going to be mistaken. I am just saying that to fix hacking you address hacking instead of giving players moderation tools. Or in other words, botting is going to happen in Diablo 3 even if they added/reworked reputation to Battle.net.

And SexyToad has a point...is there really a problem? I do think control in match is necessary (muting, kicking, etc) but making accurate matches on "match making" parameters is more important than whether or not they play nice with others. Unless the system is in extremes (low pop, extreme high end of the mm system, etc) the chances you see anyone you randomly ran into in any random match is very low. There is a temptation that rating one player in one game is going can be the same in another but I'm not entirely convinced that is true.

#22 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@extomar said:

@xyzygy:

That is something else. Someone complaining about the state of CoD4 and believes that putting a reputation system on it will help is going to be mistaken. I am just saying that to fix hacking you address hacking instead of giving players moderation tools. Or in other words, botting is going to happen in Diablo 3 even if they added/reworked reputation to Battle.net.

And SexyToad has a point...is there really a problem? I do think control in match is necessary (muting, kicking, etc) but making accurate matches on "match making" parameters is more important than whether or not they play nice with others. Unless the system is in extremes (low pop, extreme high end of the mm system, etc) the chances you see anyone you randomly ran into in any random match is very low. There is a temptation that rating one player in one game is going can be the same in another but I'm not entirely convinced that is true.

Yeah I see where you're coming from now.

But in regards to it not being a problem, have you ever played Dark Souls against a hacker who edited their save to have infinite stamina and the best weapons? They're not fun to play with because they're impossible to kill when they trap you in a tight corridor. I don't want to have to put up with that, they can go play with the other hackers in the red.

#23 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

The problem is that Dark Souls is broken not that Dark Souls needs a reputation system to moderate games. Especially in a game like Dark Souls, giving players the ability to "down vote" anyone they run into is going to make cases like this worse because asking the hacker to rate the other players is a very bad idea.

#24 Edited by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

Really interested to see how these kinds of systems will play out on the Xbox One. If they can sort out the problem of the huge number of just crappy human beings on Xbox LIVE I'll consider that a big win.

#25 Edited by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Well hope you future Xbox one owners have fun, but I'm staying far away from that console.

#26 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

Anyhow, it would be interesting how this system works out. As I see it, the only player who uses the reporting system are general trolls of the Internet. The new system might entice players to rate each other.

The real issue where the people who would team kill for flags in Halo,Campers in COD/BF. People screaming raceist stuff in mics and sending hate mail.

#27 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

The real issue where the people who would team kill for flags in Halo,Campers in COD/BF. People screaming raceist stuff in mics and sending hate mail.

i guess I wasn't good enough to receive that sort of treatment.

Regardless, this will be a nice improvement.

#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@sexytoad said:

i guess I wasn't good enough to receive that sort of treatment.

Regardless, this will be a nice improvement.

I got a lot of hate wile playing Dark Souls. People all ways fell for my item decoy in Anor.

#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Bump more info in first post.

#30 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3790 posts) -

Sprinkle Bear ain't no punk-bitch.

This is still pretty cool.

#31 Edited by Branthog (5597 posts) -

I want an option that only matches me with other adults. Or, at least, with people who are not inane and obnoxious on the mic. There are plenty of people who maybe don't deserve to be "rated poorly", but simply are aggravating to play with. Match me with team-players who use the mic reasonably and not to be rappers, DJs, or screeching little children having after-school discussions like it is a fucking party-line.

That's all I want. Just let me toggle a few things and let me rate other people on those few things. Not a blanket "cheater/harasser" thing. Also, I hope this is going to be quick and easy. It takes about five fucking minutes to go through the process on the 360. It should all be very fast, to encourage people to actually rate each other.

From what I am seeing so far, the reputation system is really far behind the times. Go look at how Valve and LoL and other games are handling this. Far more clever.

#32 Posted by spraynardtatum (3721 posts) -

I just see the trolls being the only ones that use this. Muting works just fine and I much prefer a vote to kick system.

I don't like that it has downvoting.

#33 Posted by acer51 (36 posts) -

This is tyranny and segregation.

#34 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@acer51 said:

This is tyranny and segregation.

Not really. Its weeding out the jerks and idiots who make online games less enjoyable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.