Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

MS: One 40x More Powerful than 360 ( Cloud) 10 without.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darji

And the story about how crazy Microsoft is does not end.

“It’s also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we’re effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 in terms of processing capabilities [using the cloud]. If you look to the cloud as something that is no doubt going to evolve and grow over time, it really spells out that there’s no limit to where the processing power of Xbox One can go. I think that’s a very exciting proposition, not only for Australians, but anyone else who’s going to pick up the Xbox One console.”

http://stevivor.com/2013/05/microsoft-xbox-australia-on-some-of-todays-lingering-xbox-one-questions/

WOW Really Microsoft? How stupid you think people are?^^

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's kinda true if you are doing something which doesnt require instantaneous/lag free processing. For example. Maybe ending your turn on a civ game and processing what the AI is doing. The cloud could greatly help with those calculations.

However the latency of internet communication means microsoft can't use the cloud to calculate the AI in Cod Ghosts 12 modern black ops 4. Or maybe they are and that why those fish are so smart they can move out of the way when you approach... you know... like they did in ocarina of time.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Sounds legit.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

A few years from now, with more experience and development I agree that for low latency operations processing power could be offloaded. Maybe if its flexible enough then small things like menus and connectivity to the other parts of the OS could be offloaded. I'm not saying I believe whole hog that the best case scenario but I can see how it could make up the power difference against Sony.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Hah! 'Cloud Gaming' is a nice way of saying 'Always online!'. The marketing spin these fuckers have to use to say that they both want always online but also 'you don't have to be online' is fucking insane.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

40x more data mining.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EXTomar

40x bigger and faster ad delivery platform. Can you imagine how many ads we wouldn't get without the power of cloud computing?

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

And throughout the planet Earth, ISP's offering data capped connections did rejoice at the knowledge of the windfall monthly penalty fees would soon be bringing, and gave thanks to the corporation for increasing bandwidth usage exponentially.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for the One 40x!

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Devildoll

If they have several hundred thousand computers in that cloud, yeah they have a shittone of compute power there.
    The problem is getting it into the box in realtime, its impossible. no streaming service is quick enough, even if you have fiber all the way. every millisecond is a millisecond to much.

they cant use it to boost graphics, ai or stuff like that, cause that has to be done much quicker that is possible.

But background stuff like matchmaking, perhaps rendering a youtube clip, and stuff like that, sure they can use the cloud for that stuff.

10x more compute power than the 360 though, that's not hard to imagine, that doesn't mean it will run stuff at 10 times the frame rate or 10 times the resolution however.Graphical effects, the more advanced and gorgeous they are, require more and more compute power to look a tad bit better, even though algorithms get optimized all the time, it usually takes a disproportionate amount of horsepower to get to the next step of fidelity.

10x is probably correct in terms of its real time capabilities, which translates into "next gen" visually.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Microsofts cloud is Sony's refrigerator cell CPU for this gen.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By metal_mills

40x4D.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By tourgen

@darji said:

And the story about how crazy Microsoft is does not end.

“It’s also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we’re effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 in terms of processing capabilities [using the cloud]. If you look to the cloud as something that is no doubt going to evolve and grow over time, it really spells out that there’s no limit to where the processing power of Xbox One can go. I think that’s a very exciting proposition, not only for Australians, but anyone else who’s going to pick up the Xbox One console.”

http://stevivor.com/2013/05/microsoft-xbox-australia-on-some-of-todays-lingering-xbox-one-questions/

WOW Really Microsoft? How stupid you think people are?^^

So they are saying that for every Xbone sold they are putting 3 Xbones in a server room for you.

So yes, they think we are pretty fucking stupid.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kpaadet

But before they said they had infinite power in the cloud but now its only 40x more? Also apparently the cloud is not powerful enough to run 360 games.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could you put this in terms of a number of transistors? That's the only metric I understand.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FourWude

I always knew those fluffy things in the sky had great power. One second they're a monkey. The next they're a car. That takes massive computational rendering power. Thankyou MS for being the first to realise and tap into that power.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's exactly the vibe I'm getting from this. Weird.

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "cloud" is nothing more than a bunch of remote servers set to dynamically partition their resources and workload according to necessary requirements. You know what beats that bullshit every single time? Local, on-the-chipset hardware.

Fuck the "cloud."

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By donfonzie

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Quite true, but with 40x more transistors!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rafaelfc

Each day i'm more and more convinced that the internet was the worst thing that happened to videogames

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darji

@rafaelfc said:

Each day i'm more and more convinced that the internet was the worst thing that happened to videogames

No thats Microsoft^^

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Could you put this in terms of a number of transistors? That's the only metric I understand.

No, but its equal to all the computers from 1999.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, is this to say that my game experience from a visual and performance standpoint would be affected by my Internet connection now? My connection is slow almost every single night, and sometimes I lose connection. Does that mean my game's going to get jacked up all of a sudden, even if it has nothing to do with multiplayer? Because that sounds duuuuuumb.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I wish this were true...

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While people are still debating if the slower GDDR3 memory is fast enough for Xones computational needs, there comes Microsoft telling us to let the cloud do the computing. For MMO shooters like Destiny where a massive amount of players roam the same world, those could servers do make sense. To get "battle of duty 5" from 30 to 60 fps they are certainly of no big help.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Digital lockerssssssssss

brockelley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji:

I already said this to someone, but I was talking to a tech-head and he concluded with this line of reasoning...would you agree as well:

Gamer's, especially in RPGs and more so in the next gen then now, will only have small fractions of a game on their screen at once. This means that a large portion, more than 90% of the in-game textures, ( the thing that takes up all that precious RAM) can be static; in theory, ceteris paribus of course, the console only needs to do a fraction of the work and the cloud CAN then have an effect on the graphical computing power in the box.. Think of the cloud, in this sense, as a wheel barrel. Fill that barrel with 4/5 of the load you(the console) need to transport. The other 1/5 of the weight you have to carry on your shoulders. I use this number because the analysts are saying for every X1 you have, you have 4 more in the cloud. Now, you're not only carrying the 1/5 of the weight just as the X1 isn't only going to have to do 1/5 of the work, you have the 4/5 dispensed through the cloud; the wheel on the wheelbarrow works as a fulcrum dispensing the weight just as the X1 and DX 11.2 do between the code and the cloud.This is a rudimentary analogy, but think of an old wheelbarrow- the wheels don't spin as easily as you would like, the bandwidth is low. Using the esram and the gpu boost as a kind of WD40, the wheels can turn faster. The DX 11.2 with it's upgrades software tiling can be seen as a new tire all together; only one question remains: would you rather you carry that weight on your shoulders, which in the past have gotten you hurt (overheating, melting motherboards, RROD)? Or would you like to use a wheel barrow that you are capable of pushing when it's filled with 4 times the weight you can carry all on your own, with the same wear and tear on you as carrying it all by yourself? If anything do you see the benefits of this wheelbarrow? How it could help in the future, when every year the load you carry gets heavier and heavier? And, every year the wheel barrow get's better, faster than you can get stronger...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

lol

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes... the infinite power of the cloud funneled down my spotty 4mbps ADSL connection.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Every time Xbox Cloud come up, I think this:

Loading Video...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ugh... please stop. Please.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.